Author Topic: Schwarzenegger's cigar controversy  (Read 1322 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Schwarzenegger's cigar controversy
« on: June 02, 2007, 05:57:06 AM »
After reading this week that he'd bought a cig I knew there was no way he'd resist a Cuban LOL That luxury hotel's downtown near the Parliament buidings, along the beginning of a mainly uninterrupted scenic 25 minute drive along the canal to the airport.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger fired up a Cuban during his trip to Canada this week, but did he break U.S. law to do it? California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's unexplained public sojourn into criminality on a quick stopoff taken on the way to the airport while leaving Canada's capital.

According to the CanWest News Service, Schwarzenegger unexpectedly ordered his limo driver to stop at Ottawa's Westin Hotel, and sent an aide into the International News Plus shop off the lobby, apparently to purchase the 'Governator' a cigar. 

Store clerk, Rahmat Assad explained his stunned surprise at being confronted by an officer of the Governor's Canadian security detail and told to prepare for a visit from a "special guest."

"I was very surprised. I couldn't believe my eyes. I've seen his movies."

Describing the Governor as dressed casually in a blue shirt, Assad said he stayed only long enough to have his aide purchase a sixteen dollar (cdn.) Partagas cigar.

"They paid for it," said the star-struck Rahmat, adding; "he put it in his mouth, and he left."

Schwarzenegger is one of the world's more famous cigar smokers, appearing with regularity in the pages, and on the cover of Cigar Aficionado, an upscale life-style magazine glorifying the weed.

As President Clinton before him, Arnold may find this cigar a bit of a public relations problem, because Partagas is a Cuban cigar; that is to say: It is a crime for an American citizen, whether in the U.S. or abroad, to purchase Cuban goods.

But did he inhale?

The cagey Arnold may have some defense here, as it was his aide who purchased the offensive stogey. And, the fact he was not witnessed actually lighting it, he may contend the Partagas was an official research project, spontaneously launched by the Governor for some as yet classifed reason.

Or, he may have to take the fall for breaking the decades-old embargo against Castro's tiny island, a perennial thorn in America's side?

Arnold can afford the fine, but how would a criminal record effect his long-rumoured ambitions for the presidency?

True, only American-born citizens are currently allowed the privilege of standing for the presidency, though there has been concerted efforts in recent years to overturn the centuries-old law.

pumpster

• Getbig V
Re: Schwarzenegger's cigar controversy
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 06:11:42 AM »
A HOT TICKET

May 31, 2007

OTTAWA -- Arnold Schwarzenegger gazed out of the window of U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins's limousine yesterday afternoon as it sped down the Rideau Canal toward the Parliament Buildings.

The California Governor had just arrived in Ottawa and would spend only a few hours in the nation's capital as part of his whirlwind trade mission to Canada. The former bodybuilder, who plays action men in his movies, liked what he saw.

"It looks like a very vibrant city with all the bikers and runners and whatnot. It's very athletic," he told Mr. Wilkins.

Mr. Schwarzenegger was on his way from the airport to meet Prime Minister Stephen Harper, then meet with Special Olympians as he does in most cities he visits, and then on to a reception at the ambassador's residence in Ottawa's tony Rockcliffe Park.

The reception for 250 business people and politicians has been the hottest ticket in town. Mr. Wilkins said the embassy received few regrets for the Schwarzenegger reception.

"There was a much smaller percentage than a normal reception. It's a pretty high attendance ratio here," he said. Space was restricted because the party was being held in the ambassador's house.

"You can imagine it's been a hot, hot ticket and a lot of people wanting to come and we're delighted for them to come but we're just sorry we couldn't invite more people," Mr. Wilkins said in his South Carolinian drawl.

On last night's guest list were the party leaders - Liberal Leader Stéphane Dion, NDP Leader Jack Layton and Bloc Québécois Leader Gilles Duceppe. (Some guests showed up in energy-efficient vehicles but Mr. Layton and his wife, MP Olivia Chow, arrived by bicycle.) Ottawa Mayor Larry O'Brien, Chief of Defence Staff Rick Hillier, and the Prime Minister's chief of staff, Ian Brodie, were also invited. Then there were business people, including lobbyists, local lawyers and business development types.

The exclusive group dined on rolled vegetable crepes with goat cheese and grilled red pepper, Chinese dumplings, crispy beef, lamb with jerk sauce, tuna sushi, sweet potato wanton and marinated chicken with Asian spices.

Dipadidu

• Getbig IV
  • any problems? work out!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 06:12:42 AM »
you have some stupid laws in the U.S.  :o

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 06:17:55 AM »
This thread is giving me a FUCKIN JONES! Cohibas are so nice.  :(

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 06:18:09 AM »
FFS ::)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2007, 06:21:35 AM »
Even if he did, who would give two shits BEYOND his political opponents? I MEAN REALLY!

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 07:29:21 AM »
you have some stupid laws in the U.S.  :o

I know it. Believe me, I know it.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 07:42:52 AM »
I know it. Believe me, I know it.

Every country, and it usually takes a lot to change it.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 10:33:39 AM »
I can see how this is a real important issue.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 10:36:49 AM »
I can see how this is a real important issue.

Something like NJ governor Corzine found without a seatbelt; ostensibly not a good example from atop the highest office.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2007, 10:46:19 AM »
What's funny is that the US applies this law to it citizens wherever they are in the world ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2007, 10:49:17 AM »
What's funny is that the US applies this law to it citizens wherever they are in the world ::)

On the other hand it should've been obvious to Schwarzenegger to get any number of cronies to get them for him less conspicuously, paying with cash.