Author Topic: Question for Dr.D (or anyone else) about eggs  (Read 3811 times)

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
Question for Dr.D (or anyone else) about eggs
« on: June 04, 2007, 04:37:51 AM »
Dr. D I read in the 'Fat free milk' thread about your opinion on pasteurised milk vs. organic.  What do you think about cage eggs vs. organic?  With the amount of hormones injected into chickens to make them grow faster, how much does it affect the eggs, and how much would it affect us?

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
Re: Question for Dr.D (or anyone else) about eggs
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 05:51:57 AM »
Organic eggs usually have higher levels of Omega 3 fatty acids.

BigCypriate

• Getbig IV
  • F****n Peasants!
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 06:43:12 AM »
I find that organic/free range and even good quality barn eggs are much better for the follwing reasons

1. They dont smell like fish when cooked (always handy)
2. They tend to have less bird shit/feathers on the shell (good for the appetite)
3. They are higher in good fats
4. They taste MUCH better (especially the yolks)

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 07:41:11 AM »
I read that free range eggs actually have WAY more dioxins in them.
$

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 08:48:42 AM »
I read that free range eggs actually have WAY more dioxins in them.

yeah, how so?

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 09:06:52 AM »
Dr. D I read in the 'Fat free milk' thread about your opinion on pasteurised milk vs. organic.  What do you think about cage eggs vs. organic?  With the amount of hormones injected into chickens to make them grow faster, how much does it affect the eggs, and how much would it affect us?

The problem today is that the egg is only as good as the bird, which is only as good as it's environment and the food it ate, which is only as good as the soil it was raised on. Chickens that live a natural life, by the design of mother nature, produce eggs composed of quality proteins and an optimal omega-3: omega-6 fat ratio. A free-range egg will have have a ratio between 1:1 and 1:4 while while a typically commercially raised chicken egg will be as high as as 1:16-30. This presents a problem for those who eat too many conventionally raised eggs, as too much omega-6 fatty acid in your diet facilitates the process on inflammation in our bodies.
  In regards to growth hormones and it it affects us is a long story but I will make it straight and simple. whatever that animal eats, drinks or is injected with, we consume as well. Chickens are not injected though, they eat foods ( animal waste, horse sh!t, cement dust and other animal carcasses) to help them get bigger and cut on cost on food.......Then they are giving antibiotics so they won't die so quickly... ::)
   How can you tell if the egg is cage free/organic?
This one is easy: Just look at the yolks. You are getting really healthy eggs, if the yolks are bright orange yellow. If they are pale yellow, better keep looking.

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 09:46:45 AM »
yeah, how so?
http://www.ipen.ecn.cz/index.php?z=&l=en&k=enabling&r=viewtxt&id=107&id_rubriky=1

Depends on where you live of course, has to do with air pollution i think
$

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 10:05:58 AM »
http://www.ipen.ecn.cz/index.php?z=&l=en&k=enabling&r=viewtxt&id=107&id_rubriky=1

Depends on where you live of course, has to do with air pollution i think

That is subjective. You have to see who conducted these so called studies and what do they have to gain from them?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 10:16:26 AM »
Dr D,
What are your views on raw eggs?

Someone on here said that raw egg whites are not bioavailable, but I find that hard to believe.  Isn't egg protein supposed to be the most "complete" (meaning a full amino profile, I guess?)?  I supplement biotin just in case.

What ratio of raw egg whites to whole eggs would you recommend, if any?  I used to be 6:1, now 3:1, always free range.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 10:40:31 AM »
Dr D,
What are your views on raw eggs?

Someone on here said that raw egg whites are not bioavailable, but I find that hard to believe.  Isn't egg protein supposed to be the most "complete" (meaning a full amino profile, I guess?)?  I supplement biotin just in case.

What ratio of raw egg whites to whole eggs would you recommend, if any?  I used to be 6:1, now 3:1, always free range.

This is sort of tough because both views on raw vs. cooked have good points.The problem is that there is not enough biotin in an egg yolk to bind to all the avidin present in the raw whites. You need 5.7 grams of biotin to neutralize all the avidin found in the raw whites of an average-sized egg. There is only about 25 micrograms of biotin in an average egg yolk.
   What you can do is to separate the yolks from the whites so you can cook the whites and consume the yolks raw. The white can be cooked and eaten on its own. Although cooking the white reduces the nutrient quality and perhaps increases allergic sensitivities to some, the avidin in the egg white breaks down when cooked, therefore releasing the biotin back for your absorption and  eliminating any risk of biotin deficiency.
    You can also buy a Biotin supplement but I wouldn't really recommend that. Animal livers are by far the richest sources of Biotin.
       Don't eat raw egg whites every day. Allow your biotin reserves to rebuild and eat only raw yolks or an alternative breakfast.
       You can also eat yolks one day then whites the next. Remember that the biotin loss occurs in your digestive tract when the two molecules bond together before it is even absorbed. Eating the yolk and the white separately will greatly reduce the problem.
      You will also need to take a Probitiotic to keep your intestinal flora healthy. I wouldn't eat eggs everyday because you will become intolerant and develop a food allergy. I tell my clients to rotate their foods every 4 days.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 11:50:11 PM »
You need 5.7 grams of biotin to neutralize all the avidin found in the raw whites of an average-sized egg.

Holy chit!

Just checked my biotin pills - 300 mcg, and I usually take 2/ day.  Just a little short!

Although cooking the white reduces the nutrient quality and perhaps increases allergic sensitivities to some, the avidin in the egg white breaks down when cooked, therefore releasing the biotin back for your absorption and  eliminating any risk of biotin deficiency.

Do you think egg white product pasturization raises the temperature enough to break down the avidan?

I tell my clients to rotate their foods every 4 days.

I've been having at least 15 whites and 5 yolks everyday for quite awhile.  I'll definitely start switching it up a bit more.  Thanks Doc.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 12:55:18 AM »
Thanks for the quality info guys!
Excuse me for being abit ignorant, but what is 'biotin'? and what significance does it have? ???

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 07:09:09 AM »
Thanks for the quality info guys!
Excuse me for being abit ignorant, but what is 'biotin'? and what significance does it have? ???

It's a vitamin of the B complex, found in egg yolk, liver, and yeast. It is involved in the synthesis of fatty acids and glucose. It's also called vitamin H .

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 07:15:13 AM »
Holy chit!

Do you think egg white product pasturization raises the temperature enough to break down the avidan?

you can have pasteurized egg whites but I wouldn't myself because if I don't know how they are actually pasteurizing them. Some companies actually put them though irridaition and that kills all its nutrients. But it's really up to you...

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 01:16:56 AM »
Thanks Dr. D. Ive started cooking my egg whites and before now i had been eating up to 12 whole eggs every day, so I'm gonna rotate my foods like you said, 4 days eating eggs, 4 days not.
Cheers

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2007, 02:29:34 AM »
Right on.  I'll be taking a couple weeks off to be sure before bringing eggs back into rotation.

Good onya Doc!  :)

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2007, 03:53:26 AM »
Thanks Dr. D. Ive started cooking my egg whites and before now i had been eating up to 12 whole eggs every day, so I'm gonna rotate my foods like you said, 4 days eating eggs, 4 days not.
Cheers

Yeah, food rotation is very important, especially if you want to lose body fat.
    Eating the same foods stresses the pancreas because it is continually producing the same enzymes to break the foods down. As the enzyme levels become depleted it results in poor digestion and makes it hard to extract energy from what you ate. The brain detects that your last meal didn’t provide you with enough sustained energy, so it stimulates you to eat yet again. The extra food costs you more money and subtly piles on the pounds.
    A stressed pancreas may disregulate your blood sugar and trigger bouts of low energy. This causes you to overeat in a bid to get more energy, causing weight gain.
   You are less likely to develop food sensitivities which rob your body of energy. This means you’ll have more energy available for building health and shedding fat.
   You will be less likely to binge on treats because your palate is stimulated by a variety of tastes.
   I do one day fish, one day red meats, one day poultry, and then one day pork ( i just be careful with pork though). I usually will have a full day of poultry and then for dinner go for red meat and then have red meats for breakfast and lunch the next day and then start that night with fish and so forth.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2007, 05:13:40 PM »

Why don't you ask me? :) I know lots and lots and lots and lots about nutrition, and then some. Did I already mention that I know a lot about nutrition - and also physiology, kinesiology, biomechanics, etc?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 09:56:58 PM »

Eating the same foods stresses the pancreas because it is continually producing the same enzymes to break the foods down. As the enzyme levels become depleted it results in poor digestion and makes it hard to extract energy from what you ate. The brain detects that your last meal didn’t provide you with enough sustained energy, so it stimulates you to eat yet again. The extra food costs you more money and subtly piles on the pounds.
    A stressed pancreas may disregulate your blood sugar and trigger bouts of low energy. This causes you to overeat in a bid to get more energy, causing weight gain.
   You are less likely to develop food sensitivities which rob your body of energy. This means you’ll have more energy available for building health and shedding fat.
   You will be less likely to binge on treats because your palate is stimulated by a variety of tastes.
   I do one day fish, one day red meats, one day poultry, and then one day pork ( i just be careful with pork though). I usually will have a full day of poultry and then for dinner go for red meat and then have red meats for breakfast and lunch the next day and then start that night with fish and so forth.

WOW thanks.  I've  been eating  pretty much the same food everyday.  I guess that explains why I'm always hungry.  People always say that i never stop eating :P  What kind of food allergies can you get from not rotating your foods?

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2007, 10:01:14 PM »
  Why don't you ask me? :) I know lots and lots and lots and lots about nutrition, and then some. Did I already mention that I know a lot about nutrition - and also physiology, kinesiology, biomechanics, etc?

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Well of course feel free to add anything.  I've seen your work in the Dorian vs Ronnie thread  :), and Mr Getbig should turn out to be very interesting...

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2007, 06:35:41 AM »
WOW thanks.  I've  been eating  pretty much the same food everyday.  I guess that explains why I'm always hungry.  People always say that i never stop eating :P  What kind of food allergies can you get from not rotating your foods?

Food allergies generally produce immediate, and sometimes life-threatening reactions. People who have an allergy to a particular food usually know it, and steer well clear of the food in question!
   Food intolerance is a negative physiological reaction to certain foods or drink that can result in decreased functioning of the digestive system. Poor digestion can affect the body in many ways; heart burn, gastric reflux, fatigue, mental confusion, attention deficit disorder, excess body weight and a poor response to exercise are but a few of the common side effects. Yet many people never associate their symptoms with what they are putting in their mouths.

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2007, 05:58:21 PM »

Food allergies generally produce immediate, and sometimes life-threatening reactions. People who have an allergy to a particular food usually know it, and steer well clear of the food in question!
   Food intolerance is a negative physiological reaction to certain foods or drink that can result in decreased functioning of the digestive system. Poor digestion can affect the body in many ways; heart burn, gastric reflux, fatigue, mental confusion, attention deficit disorder, excess body weight and a poor response to exercise are but a few of the common side effects. Yet many people never associate their symptoms with what they are putting in their mouths.

Great info! Yea I guess most people never realise those things could be from their food, probably just think theyre having a bad day.  Thanks mate

suckmymuscle

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 01:07:05 AM »

What a pseudo-scientific statement! ::) So I guess that the last time I dieted on nothing other than boiled chicken and turkey breasts, brown rice and oatmeal and raw spinach and broccoli for vegetables, eating only these six foods for three months and took my bodyfat down to 3%, was only an illusion? Food rotation is pseudo-science. As long as your caloric intake is below maintainance level you will lose bodyfat regardless of the what foods you eat. What happens during dieting is that your basal metabolic rate drops as a response to starvation, but as long as the caloric deficit is present, bodyfat will decrease.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 01:59:58 AM »
  What a pseudo-scientific statement! ::) So I guess that the last time I dieted on nothing other than boiled chicken and turkey breasts, brown rice and oatmeal and raw spinach and broccoli for vegetables, eating only these six foods for three months and took my bodyfat down to 3%, was only an illusion? Food rotation is pseudo-science. As long as your caloric intake is below maintainance level you will lose bodyfat regardless of the what foods you eat. What happens during dieting is that your basal metabolic rate drops as a response to starvation, but as long as the caloric deficit is present, bodyfat will decrease.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

yeah, ok!! HAHA!!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 03:46:26 AM »

yeah, ok!! HAHA!!

What an incredibly erudite reply...

SUCKMYMUSCLE