Author Topic: Tony Perkins (FRC) on the NH Civil Union Law  (Read 4886 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Tony Perkins (FRC) on the NH Civil Union Law
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2007, 01:28:46 PM »
The herd is full of conviction but conviction is more dangerous to truth than lies. 

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

Morality is herd instinct in the individual.

That's some of my favorite thinking from Nietzsche:  Herd morality.  There are those that think and are great because of it and those that live in superstition or in the confines of tradition.

Members of the herd (or unwashed masses) are not capable of profound or insightful thoughts and thus follow the lead of the other members of the herd. 

So you're saying the overwhelming majority of the country has rejected homosexual marriage without profound or insightful thought?  They're just stupid?  Following the herd? 

It couldn't be anything crazy like the overwhelming majority of the country wanting to preserve traditional marriage. . . .   

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2007, 01:44:20 PM »
So you're saying the overwhelming majority of the country has rejected homosexual marriage without profound or insightful thought?  They're just stupid?  Following the herd? 

It couldn't be anything crazy like the overwhelming majority of the country wanting to preserve traditional marriage. . . .   
Tradition is another form of intellectual surrender.  Nietzsche offers some pretty good insight.  If you are not breaking the mold, you are following somebody else.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2007, 01:58:55 PM »
Tradition is another form of intellectual surrender.  Nietzsche offers some pretty good insight.  If you are not breaking the mold, you are following somebody else.

Decker that sounds like psychobabble to me.  Sorry.   :)  But I confess I've never read Nietzsche.

I do agree that there can be a herd mentality on some issues.  I tell my kids all the time to not be a lemming.  But knee jerk voting often happens after a crisis.  When you have the majority, liberals and conservatives, voting the same way on the same issue across the country for years, it's probably a little deeper than a herd mentality.  It's conviction IMO. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2007, 02:06:55 PM »
Didn't Nietzche commit suicide?  ???

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2007, 05:52:06 PM »
Didn't Nietzche commit suicide?  ???

If so, he didn't become stronger  ;D

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2007, 07:40:41 PM »

Tradition for the sake of tradition is intellectual surrender.

I think that tradition (with understanding the why) is a form of respect.