Author Topic: True Definition of a idiot - Gene Upshaw  (Read 2134 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
True Definition of a idiot - Gene Upshaw
« on: June 06, 2007, 11:08:38 AM »
Man, I hate to use the n-word, but Upshaw absolutely epitomizes the definition - a Black face who goes out of his way to make other Blacks sound ignorant:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=218131

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: True Definition of guy - Gene Upshaw
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 12:31:08 PM »
No idea what kind of job Upshaw's doing but it would be better to get fresh blood in there after so long.

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 01:03:41 PM »
There are a couple of old NFL players on the radio up here in MA that absolutely despise Upshaw. There names are Fred Smerlas and Steve DeOssie and they're on the 2-6 slot a couple days a week on WEEI. They kill him whenever they talk about him. They think he's nothing but a schill for the owners. Given that NFL players can be cut at essentially any time even though they have a signed contract it's hard to disagree with them.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 03:22:49 PM »
NFL players just do not have the leverage other major league players do, which is doubly tragic given the greater rigors of the sport and shorter careers. Don't know the whole history but it would seem better to get more player-friendly reps in there, except that there are no doubt political factors at work keeping him and others in there.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 04:03:37 PM »
Counting the minutes until Body88 deletes this thread................

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 04:07:47 PM »
he's on record as saying that he could care less about injured and handicapped ex players who can't afford their medical bills and that his only concern is the current players, i like Mike Ditka's idea of putting aside 1 dollar per ticket for every home game next season for ex players who are in bad shape and can't afford their medical bills, we've got a guy named Conrad Dobler here in St. Louis who used to play offensive line for the old St. Louis Cardinals who is in terrible shape with his knees and is broke, there should be some way to help guys like this.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2007, 04:42:10 PM »
With the money the NFL makes there's no way this should even be an issue for older players.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 04:47:41 PM »
The guy called him a great union leader and this Upshaw clown responds like a violent, uncivilized, barbaric savage.

If he weren't black then people would be asking him to resign.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2007, 09:10:47 PM »
Counting the minutes until Body88 deletes this thread................

Tre is black so it's ok ;)

E
E

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 08:00:38 AM »
he's on record as saying that he could care less about injured and handicapped ex players who can't afford their medical bills and that his only concern is the current players, i like Mike Ditka's idea of putting aside 1 dollar per ticket for every home game next season for ex players who are in bad shape and can't afford their medical bills, we've got a guy named Conrad Dobler here in St. Louis who used to play offensive line for the old St. Louis Cardinals who is in terrible shape with his knees and is broke, there should be some way to help guys like this.

And thats when i said he was a fuckface...i saw that on real sports...shit almost made me cry (seriously..injured football players that cant bills tugs at my heart a bit) and then this bitch says some shit like im paid by the players who are in the game now so thats who i represent....i wanted to slap the shit out of him.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: True Definition of a idiot - Gene Upshaw
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2007, 05:56:10 AM »
The NFL union is a joke. Don't blame Upshaw. When push comes to shove guys in the NFL have crossed the picket line in droves.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 05:57:33 AM »

Conrad Dobler, the dirtiest, meanest player in the NFL during his time. He was fucking cool.
The House that Ruth built

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 01:30:34 PM »

Why is no one publicly criticizing Upshaw for these remarks?

Where is the public outcry over these totally asinine statements he's made? 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 07:27:41 AM »
Why is no one publicly criticizing Upshaw for these remarks?

Where is the public outcry over these totally asinine statements he's made? 

i dont know but there needs to be someting formed in protest against this bullshit...get these vets money

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 10:25:39 PM »
Brian DeMarco, an ex-N.F.L. lineman with various ailments, said the players’ union hadn’t done enough to help

Fred R. Conrad/The New York Times

Brian DeMarco, a former offensive lineman with the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Cincinnati Bengals, walked gingerly to a podium during a morning news conference, a 35-year-old man who moved as if he could be 85.

His five N.F.L. seasons are a distant memory, replaced by what DeMarco said was constant pain, numerous physical ailments, an inability to hold a job and financial problems that he said left his family homeless on three occasions. DeMarco criticized the National Football League Players Association and its executive director, Gene Upshaw, for failing to do enough for disabled players.

Upshaw told a far different story during a telephone interview later in the day. He said the union had paid DeMarco’s rent at least three times during the past year and that the union had been in frequent touch with DeMarco about filing the necessary paperwork to become eligible for more benefits. Upshaw also said that he had grown weary of being attacked, and that only a small group of disgruntled players was fueling the criticism of his leadership.

The issue of benefits for N.F.L. players will come to Capitol Hill on June 26, when Congress will hear testimony from a group of retired players who contend that benefits are insufficient, particularly for players who are disabled. DeMarco painted a bleak picture of his situation Monday, with his cane wobbling as he walked and his wife holding his arm to steady him. Since his retirement in 2000, DeMarco said he had received about $10,000 from the players union, yet his medication alone costs more than $1,000 a month. By talking publicly, DeMarco said he hoped more players would avoid the nightmare he has lived after reaching his dream of playing in the N.F.L.

“My quality of life is gone,” said DeMarco during a news conference at Mike Ditka’s restaurant that was run by Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund, an organization that provides support to N.F.L. veterans in need. DeMarco said that his wife contacted the G.G.A.F. last week and that the organization provided immediate financial assistance.

“There are so many more like me out there,” DeMarco said. “I never should have been homeless. Somebody has got to step up. The tragedy that the N.F.L.P.A. is doing in not taking care of all of us when it’s over is affecting entire families. A guy like me who’s broke trying to get through the system that the N.F.L.P.A. has set up is excruciatingly painful.”

Upshaw, however, said the union had responded to DeMarco’s plea for help on numerous occasions.

“He says he’s called us 120 times and we’ve never called him back, which is absolutely false,” Upshaw said. “He has spoken to Andre Collins of our office many, many times. I have copies of checks here that we sent him on Aug. 31 of 2006, March of this year and March 12 of this year. We knew he needed help, and we’ve been trying to help him. But don’t punch me in the nose when I’m trying to help you. I couldn’t believe some of the things that he was saying. Somebody’s not telling the truth, and I have no reason to lie about any of this.

“I’m not going to hold a press conference every time somebody says something about me. I know what our organization has done for our players, and what we continue to do. Look at the guys who are complaining. It’s the same guys.”

Last month, Upshaw lashed out at one of his critics, the Hall of Fame lineman Joe DeLamielleure. Upshaw was quoted in an interview as saying: “A guy DeLamielleure says the things he said about me, you think I’m going to invite him to dinner? No, I’m going to break his damn neck.”

Asked Monday if he regretted making that remark, Upshaw said: “I can’t deny that I said it. It was not meant literally. But when I’m getting constantly attacked, and people are making false statements, I’m not always a turn-the-other cheek kind of guy.”

DeLamielleure, who is a member of the Gridiron Greats Assistance Fund board of directors, attended Monday’s news conference and said Upshaw was falling short in his job. The gridiron assistance fund said it was helping at least a dozen players and expected to hear from many more former players in need.

“I’ve said he stunk as a union leader, and I have a right to say that,” DeLamielleure said.

Ditka, a Hall of Fame tight end and a former N.F.L. coach, is also on the Gridiron Greats board of directors and has been a critic of Upshaw’s. Ditka was also criticized by one of his former players, Dave Duerson, who played for Ditka with the Bears. Duerson said Ditka did not show the same kind of compassion for players when he was a coach, a claim that Ditka disputed.

“That’s an out-and-out lie, to say I didn’t have compassion for my players,” Ditka said. “He may not like me for some reason, but this is not about Duerson and Ditka. It’s about right and wrong. If I wasn’t part of this, nobody would be saying anything about me. I believe in fairness, and what’s happening to these guys isn’t fair.”

Ditka said he hoped Roger Goodell, the N.F.L. commissioner, would take a hard look at doing more for veteran players. Goodell said at the league’s spring meetings last month that a committee had been formed to look into the matter.