Author Topic: The other Idiot - Gary Sheffield  (Read 5875 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
Re: The other Black Idiot - Gary Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2007, 01:06:14 PM »
Sheffield says Latin players easier to control than blacks

Bwahhaaaaaahhhaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

That clown needs to stop talking to anyone with a notebook and pen or microphone.

body88

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2007, 01:08:34 PM »
Funny how little new attention this is getting. I wonder what would have happened if a white player or Barry Bonds had made these comments.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2007, 04:51:47 PM »
He said there are certain things that black players demand.. What do they demand? Accepting crappy behavior and legal trouble?  ::)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 05:55:20 PM »

His comments should be offensive to anyone with an ounce of sense, and especially to Black players. 

The well-respected Joe Morgan didn't endorse Sheffield's remarks, but did say the following: "I took it to mean that the average Latin players work for less money than the average White players, just like it was when Blacks first came into the league."

I don't dislike Sheffield for making these remarks, as he's clearly a product of his environment.  He was raised to be one of those 'take no stuff!' Negroes and he just happened to be blessed with incredible athletic talent.  But for him to say that the baseball organizations are sending home Blacks who are *better* players than the Latinos who stay in the bigs was just asinine.

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2007, 06:51:25 PM »
Not to say nothing of the fact that Gary has been a cancer to any team he has been on (ex: Dodgers, Braves).  He has a bad attitude and  players like him and Bonds keep their teams pissed off and prevent them  from bringing home championships.  Guys like Sheffield want everything and then some and when they don't get it then it is a race thing.  Pathetic.
Squishy face retard

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: The other Idiot - Gary Sheffield
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 07:25:34 AM »
I think Sheffield is really pissed that the Yankees chose Abreu over him.  I think this all comes from that.

Sheff is like Pedro was.  If he's on your team, you love his fire and intensity.  If he's not, he's an asshole.
Y

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 07:57:53 AM »
Not to say nothing of the fact that Gary has been a cancer to any team he has been on (ex: Dodgers, Braves).  He has a bad attitude and  players like him and Bonds keep their teams pissed off and prevent them  from bringing home championships.  Guys like Sheffield want everything and then some and when they don't get it then it is a race thing.  Pathetic.

AMEN brotha...i met him in LA before when he played for the dodgers...i was still in high school..he was a supreme a-list ass hole...

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 08:32:04 AM »
His comments should be offensive to anyone with an ounce of sense, and especially to Black players. 

The well-respected Joe Morgan didn't endorse Sheffield's remarks, but did say the following: "I took it to mean that the average Latin players work for less money than the average White players, just like it was when Blacks first came into the league."

I don't dislike Sheffield for making these remarks, as he's clearly a product of his environment.  He was raised to be one of those 'take no stuff!' Negroes and he just happened to be blessed with incredible athletic talent.  But for him to say that the baseball organizations are sending home Blacks who are *better* players than the Latinos who stay in the bigs was just asinine.
It's a bit a cultural problem imo. In Basketball a lot of blacks are saying there is racism because more and more euro/latin players are coming over to the NBA, and according to them there's no way that they are better than black players... So it must be racism.

A lot of Afro-americans try to blame others (police, racists, friends,...) for not succeeding instead of looking at themselves. You have idiots like Sharpton who play into this card as well.

Basic line: every team wants to win, and within their budget they'll pick the best available players.
$

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 08:40:53 AM »
It's a bit a cultural problem imo. In Basketball a lot of blacks are saying there is racism because more and more euro/latin players are coming over to the NBA, and according to them there's no way that they are better than black players... So it must be racism.

A lot of Afro-americans try to blame others (police, racists, friends,...) for not succeeding instead of looking at themselves. You have idiots like Sharpton who play into this card as well.

Basic line: every team wants to win, and within their budget they'll pick the best available players.

send me the quote for this claim..

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 10:03:45 AM »
send me the quote for this claim..
I read it in a newspaper and i think online somewhere as well, but nothing shows up on google. It was about the new "clothing" rules and said that a lot of black players fellt the NBA is specifically trying to damage afro-americans by their rules and also by drafting more and more "international players".
$

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2007, 10:53:37 AM »
I read it in a newspaper and i think online somewhere as well, but nothing shows up on google. It was about the new "clothing" rules and said that a lot of black players fellt the NBA is specifically trying to damage afro-americans by their rules and also by drafting more and more "international players".

ummm...gotcha

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2007, 11:11:06 AM »
ummm...gotcha
You don't believe me? My memory is pretty secure, but it isn't an american newspaper ("De Morgen", they don't have an online version.

Do you find it so hard to believe? Here you have a baseball player expressing the exact same reasoning.

$

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2007, 11:18:47 AM »
You don't believe me? My memory is pretty secure, but it isn't an american newspaper ("De Morgen", they don't have an online version.

Do you find it so hard to believe? Here you have a baseball player expressing the exact same reasoning.

Yeah because all black people think like that huh ::) ::)

monster narrow mind... ::)

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2007, 11:25:06 AM »

Yeah because all black people think like that huh ::) ::)

monster narrow mind... ::)
::)
Don't put words in my mouth. I know what i've read and i stated what i've read. You don't believe me, fine. I can live with that. If you knew me at all you wouldn't be calling me narrow minded.
$

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2007, 11:33:35 AM »
::)
Don't put words in my mouth. I know what i've read and i stated what i've read. You don't believe me, fine. I can live with that. If you knew me at all you wouldn't be calling me narrow minded.

dude you justified your lack of proof by saying "why is it so hard to believe..a black baseball player said."

so you attributed 1 black baseball player saying a dumbass statement to black basketball payers

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2007, 12:15:02 PM »
dude you justified your lack of proof by saying "why is it so hard to believe..a black baseball player said."

so you attributed 1 black baseball player saying a dumbass statement to black basketball payers
I said that cause i READ (hence i didn't assume it myself) that there were basketball players with the same emotions, apparently you don't believe that, that's ok by me. I'm tired of this discussion, my last post.
$

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2007, 12:19:07 PM »
I said that cause i READ (hence i didn't assume it myself) that there were basketball players with the same emotions, apparently you don't believe that, that's ok by me. I'm tired of this discussion, my last post.

i just asked you to show me the quote..that is what happens when intellectuals are questioned on a statement believed to me uttered by a source other then themselves...you provide a source..

i can say that george bush said he hated blacks and and wanted to start a debate around that or use it to prove a point in a bigger issue...well it means nothin if i cant prove he said it. thats all

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2007, 02:21:33 PM »

whoa whoa whoa....Sheffield and Bonds in no way "keep their team from winning" name one player that the front office of the Giants has brought in so that teams couldn't pitch around him so easy....Benito Santiago? Ray Durham? SF is a lowsy club period...Everyteam in the leauge would fight for Sheff, the man is one of the best hitters today and you rarely hear teammates bash either of them. Sheff has made the Tigers a much better team.
gotta love life

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2007, 06:39:39 PM »
whoa whoa whoa....Sheffield and Bonds in no way "keep their team from winning" name one player that the front office of the Giants has brought in so that teams couldn't pitch around him so easy....Benito Santiago? Ray Durham? SF is a lowsy club period...Everyteam in the leauge would fight for Sheff, the man is one of the best hitters today and you rarely hear teammates bash either of them. Sheff has made the Tigers a much better team.
Yea because Bonds didn't blame a positive amphetamine test on a teammate or have a very public feud with Jeff Kent.  Kent does more for teams than Barry Bonds.  Bonds does more for himself than any other player but he is no team contributor.  Every team Sheffield has been on has had a lull in playing after he left but have become better.  He is a cancer to teams and should have used his big mouth and been a man during the BALCO scandal.

" "It set a tone for the whole (2001) season," said catcher Paul LoDuca, who says he likes Sheffield. "And I think a lot of guys walked lightly around Gary. That's something you don't want in a clubhouse."

"We were wondering, `What's the deal? What's going to happen next?'" infielder Mark Grudzielanek said. "No question, that was triggered during 2001 spring training.... We're probably a better team in the clubhouse, and hopefully it will show on the field."

That might also bring a laugh in Milwaukee, Sheffield's first club. A pre-season favorite for 1989 rookie of the year, the 19-year-old shortstop was demoted in July for "indifferent fielding," even while he insisted his foot was hurt. Only at Class AAA Denver was he diagnosed with a broken foot, and when he returned to Wisconsin, he was converted to third base, setting off a three-year squabble over how he was treated.

A final straw came in spring training of 1992, when Sheffield alleged that owner Bud Selig had gone back on his word about negotiating a long-term deal. Selig traded him to San Diego within a week. Although Sheffield was subsequently quoted as saying he made errors on purpose to expedite his departure, he later backed off the remark."
Squishy face retard

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2007, 05:45:42 AM »
What do you expect from Sheffield, that other pillar of idiocy, Dwight Gooden is his uncle.
The House that Ruth built

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2007, 05:50:01 AM »
Sounds to me like Sheffield is insecure and has an inferiority complex. To make a blanket statement like that is about as stupid as it gets. I doubt many people would agree with him regardless of their race.
The House that Ruth built

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2007, 06:43:15 AM »
Twins' Hunter: '10 years from now you'll see no blacks, at all'

ESPN.com news services

Updated: June 8, 2007, 1:02 AM ET

* Comment
    * Email
    * Print

Just days after Gary Sheffield's controversial remarks about Latino players, Minnesota's Torii Hunter weighed into the fray on a national radio show.

"You can go to Latin America and get that same talent as a black player in Compton and if he's in Compton he gets drafted in the first round he's going to get two million dollars," Hunter said on Fox Sports Radio. "If he doesn't pan out, you're out two million dollars but if you go to the Domincan, Cuba, or whatever and you can get a guy for two thousand dollars and he doesn't pan out you're only down two thousand dollars. I do agree that, you know 10 years from now you'll see no blacks, at all."

Torii Hunter
Center Field
Minnesota Twins

2007 SEASON STATISTICS
GM    HR    RBI    R    OBP    AVG
56    13    47    34    .346    .302

Sheffield said he was surprised his comments, which appear in the current issue of GQ magazine, created such a stir. The outspoken slugger said he merely answered a question about why there were so many Latin players in baseball as opposed to blacks.

Sheffield insisted he meant "nothing derogatory" toward Latin players when he said recently that Major League Baseball found it easier to "control them" than black players.

Sheffield's comments Tuesday were similar to those he made to the magazine, when he expressed his long-held belief.

"What I called is that you're going to see more black faces, but there ain't no English going to be coming out. ... [It's about] being able to tell [Latin players] what to do -- being able to control them," he told the magazine. "Where I'm from, you can't control us."

In expanding on his comment about control, Sheffield said Tuesday, "They have more to lose than we do. You can send them back across the island. You can't send us back. We're already here."

Carlos Guillen, Sheffield's Tiger's teammate, said he was happy Sheffield said what he said.

"I'm happy he said it," Guillen told The Detroit Free Press on Tuesday. "I'm glad somebody spoke up."

Last season, only 8.4 percent of major-league baseball players were black, the lowest level in at least two decades, according to an annual report by the University of Central Florida's Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sports. The report showed that 29.4 percent of players last season were Latino.

Guillen told The Free Press that Sheffield's words in the GQ article rang true with his own experience as a young Latin player trying to break into the big leagues.

"In my first year, in rookie league, I hurt my elbow and I played DH," he told the newspaper. "In my first at-bat, I hit a double, and I missed first base. I was out, and they screamed at me."

"I didn't know what to say. If I had said anything, they would have sent me home. I was afraid to talk.

"That happens to every Latin player. They are afraid to talk," Guillen said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2897303

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2007, 07:16:07 AM »
Who cares??? Either way I have been voting for him to make this years All-Star team, same with Barry Bonds and Torri Hunter...
I

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2007, 07:17:35 AM »
Who cares??? Either way I have been voting for him to make this years All-Star team, same with Barr Bonds and Torri Hunter...

me too...