Author Topic: Gay Groups Decry Surgeon General Nominee  (Read 1365 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Gay Groups Decry Surgeon General Nominee
« on: June 07, 2007, 12:22:39 AM »
Gay Groups Decry Surgeon General Nominee
JEFFREY McMURRAY | June 6, 2007 11:47 PM EST | 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEXINGTON, Ky. — President Bush's nominee for surgeon general, Kentucky cardiologist Dr. James Holsinger, has come under fire from gay rights groups for voting to expel a lesbian pastor from the United Methodist Church and writing in 1991 that gay sex is unnatural and unhealthy.

Also, Holsinger helped found a Methodist congregation that, according to gay rights activists, believes homosexuality is a matter of choice and can be "cured."

"He has a pretty clear bias against gays and lesbians," said Christina Gilgor, director of the Kentucky Fairness Alliance, a gay rights group. "This ideology flies in the face of current scientific medical studies. That makes me uneasy that he rejects science and promotes ideology."

Holsinger, 68, has declined all interview requests.

Blair Jones, a White House spokesman, said in a telephone interview Wednesday night that Holsinger had spent his career in public service and taking care of others.

"On numerous occasions, Dr. Holsinger has taken up the banner for underrepresented populations, and he will continue to be a strong advocate for these groups and all Americans," Jones said.

Holsinger served as Kentucky's health secretary and chancellor of the University of Kentucky's medical center. He taught at several medical schools and spent more than three decades in the Army Reserve, retiring in 1993 as a major general.

His supporters, including fellow doctors, faculty members and state officials, said he would never let his theological views affect his medical ones.

"Jim is able, as most of us are in medicine, to separate feelings that we have from our responsibility in taking care of patients," said Douglas Scutchfield, a professor of public health at the University of Kentucky.

In announcing Holsinger as his choice for America's top doctor May 24, Bush said the physician will focus on educating the public about childhood obesity.

The previous surgeon general was Dr. Richard Carmona, whose term was allowed to expire last summer. Carmona issued an unprecedented report condemning secondhand smoke.

Holsinger received his bachelor's degree from the University of Kentucky, master's degrees from the University of South Carolina and Asbury Theological Seminary and a doctorate and medical degree from Duke University.

Scutchfield said Holsinger has advocated expanded stem cell research, in opposition to many conservatives, and also has shown political courage in this tobacco-producing state by supporting higher cigarette taxes to curb teen smoking.

Gov. Ernie Fletcher commended Holsinger for working to fight obesity and other health problems in this Appalachian state, which ranks near the bottom in many categories. "He helped get the ball rolling and focusing on healthy lifestyles," Fletcher said.

As president of the Methodist Church's national Judicial Council, Holsinger voted last year to support a pastor who blocked a gay man from joining a congregation. In 2004, he voted to expel a lesbian from the clergy. The majority of the panel voted to keep the lesbian associate pastor in place, citing questions about whether she had openly declared her homosexuality, but Holsinger dissented.

Sixteen years ago, he wrote a paper for the church in which he likened the reproductive organs to male and female "pipe fittings" and argued that homosexuality is therefore biologically unnatural.

"When the complementarity of the sexes is breached, injuries and diseases may occur," Holsinger wrote, citing studies showing higher rates of sexually transmitted diseases among gay men and the risk of injury from anal sex.

Holsinger wrote the paper at a time when the church was one of numerous denominations considering a more open stance on allowing practicing homosexuals to join. It took that step in 1992, saying gays are of "sacred worth" who should be welcomed. "Self-avowed, practicing homosexuals" are still prohibited from serving in the clergy.

Gilgor, the gay rights activist, called the paper "one twisted piece of work." Holly Babin, spokeswoman for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, said Holsinger's writings reflected scientific data from the 1980s.

"It should be noted that in 1991, homosexuals were banned from the military and several years before that, homosexuality and Haitian nationality were considered risk factors for HIV/AIDS," Babin said in a statement. "Over the last 20 years, a clearer understanding of these issues has been achieved. Any new compilation of scientific information on health issues facing homosexual populations would have a substantially different focus."

As for the congregation Holsinger helped establish, Hope Springs Community Church, the Rev. David Calhoun told the Lexington Herald-Leader last week that the Lexington church helps some gay members to "walk out of that lifestyle."

The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force, which is opposing the nomination along with the Human Rights Campaign and other local and national groups, calls such a practice "nothing short of torture" for gays.

Phyllis Nash, who worked under Holsinger for nine years as vice chancellor at the medical center, said the views he took in church appear at odds with his professional actions.

She recalled a women's health conference that Holsinger helped organize in 2002 that included a session on lesbian health. Despite complaints from some lawmakers, Holsinger insisted the session go forward, she said.

"His reaction in support could not have been any stronger," Nash said. "He said, as health care providers, we have to be prepared to meet the health needs of anyone who walks into the door."

Dr. James Holsinger talks during a news conference after accepting the head position to the Cabinet of Health Services in this Dec. 5, 2003 file photo, in Frankfort, Ky. President Bush's nominee for surgeon general, Kentucky cardiologist Dr. James Holsinger, has come under fire from gay rights groups for, among other things, voting to expel a lesbian pastor from the United Methodist Church and writing in 1991 that gay sex is unnatural and unhealthy. (AP Photo/Patti Longmire, File)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20070606/surgeon-general-gays/

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
Re: Gay Groups Decry Surgeon General Nominee
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 12:29:40 AM »
He has a pretty clear bias against gays and lesbians," said Christina Gilgor, director of the Kentucky Fairness Alliance, a gay rights group. "This ideology flies in the face of current scientific medical studies. That makes me uneasy that he rejects science and promotes ideology."

I dare these rejects to show me conclusive evidence homosexuality is not a choice.

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 05:57:49 AM »
He has a pretty clear bias against gays and lesbians," said Christina Gilgor, director of the Kentucky Fairness Alliance, a gay rights group. "This ideology flies in the face of current scientific medical studies. That makes me uneasy that he rejects science and promotes ideology."

I dare these rejects to show me conclusive evidence homosexuality is not a choice.

Amen brother! I'm willing to concede that there is a small percentage of gays that are truly gay (born with wires crossed) but 95%+ do it by choice...
gotta love life

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 06:52:23 AM »

Also, Holsinger helped found a Methodist congregation that, according to gay rights activists, believes homosexuality is a matter of choice and can be "cured."

This statement, as it always has when people advocate for homosexuals, is taken way out of context.  What this really says is that this church wants to work with the people who are suffering from their identity crisis.  If Holsinger were truly biased against gays, then he nor the church he's affiliated with would want to have anything to do with homosexuals.  Truth is, they care about individuals enough to take them in and nurture them.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2007, 10:32:46 AM »
This statement, as it always has when people advocate for homosexuals, is taken way out of context.  What this really says is that this church wants to work with the people who are suffering from their identity crisis.  If Holsinger were truly biased against gays, then he nor the church he's affiliated with would want to have anything to do with homosexuals.  Truth is, they care about individuals enough to take them in and nurture them.

I agree. 

Anytime anyone disagrees with the lifestyle, for any reason, they are considered a "homophobe." 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 10:46:52 AM »
People are entitled to have their opinions.  I don't see where this guys opinion on homosexuality has anything to do with his position as Surgeon General.

Also i still don't see how any person would "choose" to do something as revolting as having sex with another man unless they have a predisposition for it to begin with.  Geeez  i was dreaming of women's breasts at 7 years old.

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2007, 11:17:19 AM »
Amen brother! I'm willing to concede that there is a small percentage of gays that are truly gay (born with wires crossed) but 95%+ do it by choice...

This is also what i believe.  there are people are just GAY, and there are people who are just perverted out of their minds...

militarymuscle69

• Getbig IV
  • You can't be a citizen unless you serve
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 11:35:53 AM »
People are entitled to have their opinions.  I don't see where this guys opinion on homosexuality has anything to do with his position as Surgeon General.

Also i still don't see how any person would "choose" to do something as revolting as having sex with another man unless they have a predisposition for it to begin with.  Geeez  i was dreaming of women's breasts at 7 years old.

So why in certain cultures through history were there higher rates of homosexuality than others? Because in some areas it isn't as taboo.....I believe everyone is born with some sort of predisposition to it...can you tell me you have never looked at a guy and thought...he is handsome...doesn't mean you personally want to hold his dick in your mouth, but for others the curiosity of sex overcomes their ability to resist temptation
gotta love life

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 12:48:20 PM »

Exactly...

Geeez  i was dreaming of women's breasts at 7 years old.

HAHA... Same here, maybe even younger?
S

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2007, 05:01:40 PM »
So why in certain cultures through history were there higher rates of homosexuality than others? Because in some areas it isn't as taboo.....I believe everyone is born with some sort of predisposition to it...can you tell me you have never looked at a guy and thought...he is handsome...doesn't mean you personally want to hold his dick in your mouth, but for others the curiosity of sex overcomes their ability to resist temptation

I might agree with what you say here.  some are born with more of a predisposition than others and it is so with heterosexuals.  The dispostion exists if the temptation is there.   For me, i can acknowledge a good looking guy but have no temptation beyond that and that is true of many other heterosexuals and as you say there are some with high levels of both and some with reversed dispositions.   In my mind, it doesn't change anything. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
can you tell me you have never looked at a guy and thought...he is handsome...

Are you trying to tell us something?

;D
S

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2007, 03:27:55 PM »
we dont need another moralistic scold as our country's premier doctor