Author Topic: when Bruce Lee was alive  (Read 1971 times)

187knny

• Getbig II
when Bruce Lee was alive
« on: June 09, 2007, 04:34:40 PM »
kung fu was popular.

then all the karate movies came out, and karate was popular.

then all the ninja movies of the eighties, and ninjutsu was everywhere

my question is, if grappling and Gracie Ju Jitsu is so big, why aren't there any movies with it in it?

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Re: when Bruce Lee was alive
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 04:42:14 PM »
there are movies that have snipits of bjj.  The problem with BJJ is that it isn't flashy enough to be made into a movie.  People like high action acrobatic stuff in the movies.  there is more you can do visually with other arts.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 08:59:50 PM »
there are movies that have snipits of bjj.  The problem with BJJ is that it isn't flashy enough to be made into a movie.  People like high action acrobatic stuff in the movies.  there is more you can do visually with other arts.
That is actually the exact words they heard from producers and directors.  Lethal Weapon was the first movie they introduced jiu-jitsu in.  Part of the deal Rorian teaching Mel was to change the line said by Glover from "You know that Karate stuff, we're going to have register you as a Lethal Weapon" to "You know that jiu-jitsu stuff, we're going to have register you as a Lethal Weapon"   (something like that)  The demo tape Rorian and Royce (with my friend Craig Kukuk) was okay just not flashy enough.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 06:14:41 AM »
kung fu was popular.

then all the karate movies came out, and karate was popular.

then all the ninja movies of the eighties, and ninjutsu was everywhere

my question is, if grappling and Gracie Ju Jitsu is so big, why aren't there any movies with it in it?

there is, but theyre intended for the gay market
Z

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 07:38:10 PM »

I agree, but I also believe that there’s a lot more that comes into play as well.
Segal has about as much flash and sizzle as a UPS truck – no jumping spin kicks, etc., but more of a grounded, joint manipulation style with his Aikido – and the characters he played often had little range or depth.
But he had the right look, great timing, and the smarts to capitalize on the situation and become a bankable star.

Guys like Mark Dacascos and Olivier Gruner are much more talented in the physique and “acrobatics” depts. and both had their share of success, but never achieved the level of “Segal-ism.”