Author Topic: Hillary Names Impeached Judge as Co-Chair  (Read 937 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Hillary Names Impeached Judge as Co-Chair
« on: June 10, 2007, 10:49:31 AM »
Great start . . . .

Sunday, June 10, 2007 11:50 a.m. EDT
Hillary Names Impeached Judge as Co-Chair

Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton has appointed two national co-chairs for her presidential campaign -- including a former U.S. District Court judge who was impeached.

U.S. Reps. Debbie Wasserman Schultz and Alcee Hastings, both Florida Democrats, will be two of several co-chairs who will help direct Clinton's effort to win the White House in 2008.

"We need a leader with a clear vision and sound judgment, who can work with a Democratic Congress to renew the promise of America. Hillary is that leader," Wasserman Schultz said in a statement.

Hastings said a second Clinton in the White House would make the country "a much better place for the African-American community, Floridians and all Americans."

Hastings was U.S. District Court judge for the Southern District of Florida from 1979 to 1989, until he was impeached and removed from office for corruption and perjury. He was only the sixth federal judge to be impeached and removed from office in American history. He ran successfully for the U.S. House in 1992.

http://newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/6/10/115916.shtml?s=ic

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Hillary Names Impeached Judge as Co-Chair
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 11:01:32 AM »
His past is checkered, makes for more argument that his present is solid.

AE

• Getbig III
  • Retribution is Certain
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 11:54:09 AM »
Corruption in Florida, whoda thought?  ;D

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 03:01:03 PM »
The guy's been a US Congressman in good standing for 15 years... that's his current status...   yet the article describes him in the headline as "Impeached Judge".  Gee, you think a Republican wrote that article?  ::)
Ron: "I am lazy."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 03:04:32 PM »
"He was only the sixth federal judge to be impeached and removed from office in American history."  Pretty significant.  I'd describe him as an "impeached judge" too. 

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 05:19:00 PM »
"He was only the sixth federal judge to be impeached and removed from office in American history."  Pretty significant.  I'd describe him as an "impeached judge" too. 

And Bill Clinton was only the second US President to be impeached.  Should they mention that every time he's referred to as well?
Ron: "I am lazy."

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 09:33:28 PM »

And Bill Clinton was only the second US President to be impeached.  Should they mention that every time he's referred to as well?

Not necessarily.  Clinton is still in the national news a lot, but every time you discuss the Clinton presidency you have to mention impeachment (and I voted for him twice BTW).  You have to mention "recall" whenever you discuss Gray Davis.  There are many other examples.   

The headline for this guy was obviously biased, but I think it's okay given the rarity of impeachment at the federal level.