Author Topic: Conte urges trainer's release from prison  (Read 1178 times)

Speedbuff

• Getbig II
Conte urges trainer's release from prison
« on: June 11, 2007, 12:55:59 AM »
Conte urges trainer's release

By Bob Nightengale
USA TODAY
Monday, June 10, 2007

Victor Conte, founder of the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, believes Greg Anderson, Barry Bonds' former trainer, deserves to be released from prison next month when the grand jury investigating Bonds expires.

Anderson, 41, who served a three-month sentence after pleading guilty in 2005 to distributing steroids and money laundering, has been imprisoned since November for refusing to testify about Bonds' alleged steroid use. Anderson is a childhood friend of Bonds, the San Francisco Giants slugger who is nine home runs shy of tying Hank Aaron's all-time home run record.

"I absolutely believe it's unfair," Conte said in an e-mail. "Everyone seems to think Greg is simply refusing to testify in order to protect Barry, but that's not really the case. Greg isn't talking mainly because he doesn't trust the federal government based upon his own previous experience."

Mark Geragos, Anderson's attorney, told The New York Times last week he would file a motion in the next two months to argue that Anderson's confinement has become punishment instead of a measure of persuading him to testify. The current grand jury is set to expire in July, but it could also be extended for six more months, leaving Anderson imprisoned until January.

"The government has gone far beyond using his imprisonment as coercion," Conte said. "Greg is being punished at this point."

"I know Greg is a strong person and that he will not testify no matter what they do to him," said Conte, who spent four months in federal prison for his involvement in BALCO.

"Hopefully, the government will realize this sooner than later. I've had a similar experience, so I know that Greg and his family have experienced a tremendous amount of pain and suffering. It's time for his punishment to end."

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
Re: Conte urges trainer's release from prison
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 04:39:25 AM »
until the jury expires, if he refuses to coopertate he will remain in custody.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 04:42:40 AM »
How nice: the price for having your friend's back is possibly life in prison. Justice for all. ::)

Why doesn't he just testify and use the old "I do not recall"-trick?

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 04:46:58 AM »
How nice: the price for having your friend's back is possibly life in prison. Justice for all. ::)

Why doesn't he just testify and use the old "I do not recall"-trick?
sitting in the slammer just until the term of the jury is over...perhaps january.   basically, everybody is treated as a hostile witness. it's ok, just dont lie because then you can get the electric chair

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 05:03:41 AM »
sitting in the slammer just until the term of the jury is over...perhaps january.   basically, everybody is treated as a hostile witness. it's ok, just dont lie because then you can get the electric chair
But I assume that the new jury will have the same option? (not well versed in the American justice system)

But generally speaking: imprisoning someone for not ratting on a friend is weak.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 05:26:43 AM »
But I assume that the new jury will have the same option? (not well versed in the American justice system)

But generally speaking: imprisoning someone for not ratting on a friend is weak.

grand jury is different set of rules.