Author Topic: States Weigh Punishing Child Rapists With Death  (Read 2192 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
States Weigh Punishing Child Rapists With Death
« on: June 11, 2007, 08:52:46 AM »
Interesting discussion.  Is there any crime more heinous? 

States Weigh Punishing Child Rapists With Death
Monday, June 11, 2007

By Liza Porteus

E-MAIL STORY RESPOND TO EDITOR PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
WASHINGTON —  Lynda Marie Kirby sexually abused her young son in ways more horrible than anyone could imagine, and she'll pay a steep price for her crimes.

Kirby is serving a 125-year sentence, and she will remain in prison for half that time — 62 1/2 years — before she becomes eligible for parole.

But there are many in Texas who think Kirby shouldn't spend even another day behind bars. They believe crimes of her nature deserve a greater punishment than imprisonment, and now the state is on its way toward approving the death penalty for child rapists.

Texas is the latest state to pass a form of "Jessica’s Law" — named after 9-year-old Jessica Lunsford of Florida, who was abducted, abused, buried alive and left to die in a dirt hole by a known sex offender who lived nearby — that includes the death penalty.

The Texas bill reserves the death penalty for people who rape children under age 6 at least twice, or children younger than 14 if the crime also involves the use of a deadly weapon, alcohol or drugs, death threats, bodily injury, kidnapping or gang rape. Texas Gov. Rick Perry is expected to sign the bill into law.

But in 80 to 90 percent of child rapes, the victims know their attacker, and in many cases the rapist is a relative. Critics of the bill say the knowledge that he or she could be responsible for a relative's execution could do more psychological damage to a child than the rapes themselves.

Terry Kirby doesn’t think people like his child’s mother deserve to die for their crimes.

"I think the death penalty is not the answer. I feel like restorative justice is more in order, and time — not just time behind bars but counseling and some type of program," Kirby said.

"Abuse is such a wide category and it’s despicable and it’s real hard on victims. But I tell you, I think there’s a lot of place — I do agree with the death penalty in certain cases, but not for molestation of a child."

Even in some of the most heinous abuse cases, many think the damage done to a child’s psyche knowing he or she could be responsible for sentencing a relative to death is worse than letting their attackers live.

"My son was sexually abused by his biological mother and the penalty could be the death sentence ... to me it seems that’s a reason for a child to not outcry. And really the thing is, kids need to be listened to, they need to be believed," Kirby said.

"You want kids talking and they need to feel safe about it and I think that this is pushing things in the wrong direction, to keep kids from opening up."

Jody Plauche, who was abducted in 1984 by his karate instructor and abused for more than one year, agrees.

"I can understand why people would want to put to death these repeat sex offenders," Plauche said. "But I think in the long run what you're going to see, you're going to see the reluctance of people to come forwards because the perpetrators are usually someone known to the family.

"It’s going to keep their victims quiet because they know Uncle Bill's going to be killed."

John Bradley, a Texas district attorney, has testified in the state legislature against death penalty sentences for child rapists.

"It has taken a lot of work over several decades for government to develop an understanding of how to approach a victim … to give them the confidence to come forward and testify with the security they'll be protected," he said.

"Now I think we've sort of turned that apple cart over by beginning with the proposition that the very child's testimony not only determines the child's own personal security but the potential death of the defendant."

Nonetheless, the law has popular support. Some Houston Chronicle readers, for example, posted online comments about that state's possible new law. "It's about time! Sex crimes against kids is about as bad as it gets," "WorriedCitizen" wrote.

"Why wait till the second time ... isn't once enough?!!" added "ladygrant."

Is Any Non-Homicide Crime More Deserving?

Louisiana is one of only five states that allow capital punishment in child-rape cases that don’t result in the victim’s death. Patrick Kennedy is on death row for the rape of his 8-year-old stepdaughter.

"Execution of child rapists will serve the goals of deterrence and retribution just as well as execution of first-degree murderers would," Associate Justice Jeffrey Victory wrote for the majority in the court’s opinion that Kennedy should be executed.

"Short of a first-degree murderer, we can think of no other non-homicide crime more deserving."

Emergency workers found Kennedy’s victim wrapped in a bloody cargo blanket and bleeding profusely. She was sexually abused so violently that a surgeon was called in to repair the damage. The victim first told the same story as her stepfather — that two boys from the neighborhood had raped her. The girl eventually told police that her stepfather was her attacker.

Plauche, who has no problem with death sentences for rapists who also murder children, is concerned that if more abusers know they could be sentenced to death based on a child victim’s testimony, "it's going to end up getting kids killed because there's not going to be a witness to testify against them."

Even though Louisiana is alone in allowing first-time offenders to be executed, Judy Benitez, executive director of the Louisiana Foundation Against Sexual Assault, said how many times an offender has struck should not be the issue.

"Not very many rapists or child rapists are first-time offenders — it may be the first time they're caught and prosecuted," Benitez said. "I think there's some value to the law (first-term offenders getting the death penalty) in terms of leverage for prosecutors … [but] being sentenced to death doesn't do anything more than the other option right now."

Whereas a prison sentence is a definitive punishment for an abuser, Benitez said the appeals process in a death penalty case can drag out for years and the victims can never get closure.

Kennedy’s lawyers plan to appeal his death sentence in state court and, if that doesn’t work, take it all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court.

At issue is a 1977 U.S. Supreme Court ruling banning the application of the death penalty for the rape of a 16-year-old. That case, Coker v. Georgia, stressed that capital punishment should be used only for a capital crime like murder.

Since then, many states stopped applying the death penalty to cases involving children, but Louisiana just amended its laws to specify that punishment for the rape of a child, not an adult, could include the death penalty.

"The issue before the United States Supreme Court is whether the 8th Amendment prohibits the death penalty for those circumstances," Bradley said. "This idea that we could withdraw an entire offense or offenses because the offense itself didn't result in the death of the victim is an interesting one, because it gets into the value of life and the value of quality of life.

"Destroying a child's personality and to have an enjoyment of future life is just as powerful an impact as say, ending a child's life by killing them."

But Bradley is worried about one case that could turn these "Jessica’s Laws" on their head.

In November 1998, the body of an infant dubbed "Baby Hope" was found inside a trash bag with duct tape over his mouth in a dumpster in Beaumont, Texas. His arms were taped across his chest with tape, as well.

The case remained unsolved until the summer of 2003, when it was determined that Kenisha Eronda Berry was the mother; her DNA and fingerprints were found on the duct tape. Berry was then in prison awaiting trial for abandoning another newborn, Paris, who was found June 6, 2003, beside the road in a remote part of Jefferson County, her eyes swollen shut from ant bites.

Berry was sentenced to death, but her sentence was overturned and she received life in prison.

"The evidence indicates that appellant has been dangerous only toward those of her own children whose existence she wanted to hide from her favored mate, that there is a very low probability that, if sentenced to life in prison, she will have any more children, and that therefore it is unlikely that she would be a danger in the future," the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals said in a 5-4 decision.

Click here to read the opinion.

Bradley thinks this ruling could send the wrong message to child molesters who deserve the death penalty for killing their victims.

"I guarantee you, lawyers who represent child molesters ... are going to take that case and ram it down all of our throats. They'll say 'well, this guy is a pedophile, he hurts only children,'" Bradley said.

"I'm very concerned about this opinion, a 5-4 vote; it's a fairly narrow decision and nobody's talking about it. It is going to kill the availability of the death penalty before anyone can even put it into law."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,280413,00.html

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: States Weigh Punishing Child Rapists With Death
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 09:12:37 AM »
ANY rapist should get the death penalty.....
carpe` vaginum!

Stark

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 10:17:17 AM »

Death penalty is not the answer.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 10:25:02 AM »

I agree when you're talking about child rapists.  Much harder question otherwise because of things like date rape. 

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 01:36:30 PM »
They should get death.  After you pull off their fingernails and toenails.....after you snip off their fingers, after you dip their hands in acid, after you....well numerous things.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 07:29:00 PM »
this will show the deterrents of death penalty!

or

Salem "witch" trials all over again

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2008, 10:46:40 AM »
Rape a child, pay with your life, Louisiana argues
By Bill Mears
CNN Supreme Court Producer

ANGOLA, Louisiana (CNN) -- He is not a killer, but the state of Louisiana is determined to execute Patrick Kennedy for his crime.

The New Orleans native faces that reality as he sits on death row at Louisiana's maximum security prison, the largest prison in the nation. The Louisiana State Penitentiary, or Angola Prison, is the size of Manhattan and surrounded on three sides by the Mississippi River.

Unlike the 3,300 inmates awaiting execution nationwide -- including the 94 other men at Angola -- Kennedy, 43, is a convicted rapist. The victim was his 8-year-old stepdaughter.

For the first time in 44 years, a state is preparing to execute a man for a felony other than murder. The U.S. Supreme Court will hear arguments Wednesday on whether Louisiana can use capital punishment in child rape cases.

The constitutional question before the justices is whether the death penalty for violent crimes other than homicide constitutes "cruel and unusual" punishment. The high-profile examination of the death penalty also raises anew a national debate over selective prosecution and race.

"A lot of people think there should not be the death penalty [in this case] because the child survives," said Kate Bartholomew, a sex crimes prosecutor in New Orleans. "In my opinion the rape of a child is more heinous and more hideous than a homicide."

Kennedy's appellate attorney, Billy Sothern, argues, "When we look at what it means to be cruel and unusual, this is exactly the kind of thing that raises these serious concerns of the constitutionality of Mr. Kennedy's death sentence."

Kennedy was sentenced to die in 2003 for sexually assaulting his stepdaughter in her bed. The crime occurred in a quiet neighborhood in Harvey, across the big river from New Orleans. Besides severe emotional trauma, Louisiana prosecutors said the attack caused internal injuries and bleeding to the child, requiring extensive surgery.

The former moving company driver had claimed two teenage boys committed the crime near the family's garage, a story the girl -- identified in court papers as "L.H." -- repeated for 18 months after the ordeal.

An African-American teenager was initially arrested, based on Kennedy's allegations, but later was cleared of any wrongdoing. Kennedy also is African-American.

Police in Jefferson Parish quickly turned their suspicions on him as the attacker.

The girl later accused her stepfather, after she returned home from a temporary stay in foster care. Kennedy has denied the charges, but the state supreme court upheld the conviction and punishment.

The U.S. Supreme Court, both in 1976 and a year later, banned capital punishment for rape -- and by implication any other crime except murder. But Louisiana 19 years later passed a law allowing execution for the sexual violation of a child under 12. State lawmakers contended the earlier high court cases pertained only to "adult women."

Death penalty opponents say Louisiana is the only state to actively pursue lethal injection for child rapists, and argue, among other things, that it could give attackers a reason to murder their victims.

"If they're going to face the death penalty for raping a child, why would they leave a living witness?" said Judy Benitez, executive director of the Louisiana Foundation against Sexual Assaults.

Benitez also says testifying in a death penalty case can be deeply traumatic for child. And the risk of wrongful prosecution may be higher is such cases since children might prove to be unreliable witnesses for the prosecution, because of their susceptibility to suggestive, leading questions.

No one in the United States has been executed for rape since 1964. Other state and federal crimes theoretically eligible for execution include treason, aggravated kidnapping, drug trafficking, aircraft hijacking and espionage. None of these crimes have been prosecuted as a capital offense in decades, if ever.

In the appeal filed with the high court, Sothern argues Louisiana "flouts the overwhelming national consensus that capital punishment is an inappropriate penalty for any kind of rape."

The law's supporters counter that besides murder, no crime is more deserving of the death penalty, and the punishment would be used only in the most heinous of circumstances.

For its victims, "It takes away their innocence, it takes away their childhood, it mutilates their spirit. It kills their soul. They're never the same after these things happen," said Bartholomew, an assistant district attorney in Orleans Parish.

"Louisiana has been a pro-death penalty state for a very long time," the prosecutor added. "And I think a lot of people agree with the death penalty for this type of case here in our state."

Five other states have similar laws. Four of them -- Florida, Montana, Oklahoma and South Carolina -- have had them for years but not applied them in decades. Texas enacted its version in June, but no defendant has yet been designated death-eligible for child rape in any state but Louisiana.

Skin color has also played a role in the political and legal debate over expanding capital crimes to include rape.

"When we look at the death penalty in the South we always need to be conscious of the role that race plays," said Sothern, deputy director at the Capital Appeals Project, which represents all the state's death row inmates. "And I think that the fact that Mr. Kennedy [is] a black from Jefferson Parish, a place with a troubling record of racial discrimination, I think that that speaks volumes."

Sothern cites Department of Justice statistics showing that all 14 rapists executed by Louisiana in the past 75 years were African-American. Nationwide from 1930 to 1964, nearly 90 percent of executed rapists were black, he said.

Kennedy recently was joined on Louisiana's death row by another child rapist -- Richard Davis, who is white. Davis' legal appeals have barely begun.

The justices will no doubt consider loneliness of Louisiana's aggressive position when deciding whether a national consensus now exists to allow a broader range of crimes to become subject to capital punishment. The high court has in recent years banned execution for the mentally retarded, underage killers and those receiving an inadequate defense at trial.

Angola prison officials would not make Kennedy available for comment.

The youngster at the center of the case is now in college and wants to be a lawyer. Her family says that like most underage victims, she has been scarred forever, and they believe her assailant deserves the jury's punishment.

"It's going to be justice," said Lynn Ray, the victim's cousin. "It's going to be that she can look forwards and not backwards, and not have to look over your shoulders, and one day see him. Or see him coming after her."

A ruling from the high court is expected by late June.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/04/15/rape.execution/index.html

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 10:52:27 AM »
I just hope they get the right person if they're going to do it.  I've been watching all these cases where they get the wrong guy and pretty much don't give a rats ass that they did.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 11:02:14 AM »
I just hope they get the right person if they're going to do it.  I've been watching all these cases where they get the wrong guy and pretty much don't give a rats ass that they did.

True.  I just watched a documentary on Anthony Porter.  Pretty scary that they almost got that one wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Porter

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 02:17:53 PM »
True.  I just watched a documentary on Anthony Porter.  Pretty scary that they almost got that one wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Porter
seems like to many times the first guy investigators get their head wrapped around is going down.  And once they commit to make their case, reputations are on the line and they won't back out unless the evidence and public outcry start making them look worse than admitting they made a mistake.  Very scary stuff.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 07:15:14 PM »
seems like to many times the first guy investigators get their head wrapped around is going down.  And once they commit to make their case, reputations are on the line and they won't back out unless the evidence and public outcry start making them look worse than admitting they made a mistake.  Very scary stuff.

You realize you're talking to the same idiot who, not more than a few weeks ago, was using due process as a justification for the death penalty.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 08:17:31 AM »
Child rapists can't be executed, Supreme Court rules

From Bill Mears
Supreme Court Producer

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 Wednesday that child rapists cannot be executed, concluding capital punishment is reserved for murderers.

The ruling stemmed from the case of Patrick Kennedy, who has been on Louisiana's death row since 2003, when he was sentenced to be executed for raping his 8-year-old stepdaughter.

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion that "evolving standards of decency" in the United States forbid capital punishment for any crime other than murder. Execution of Patrick Kennedy, the justices ruled, would be unconstitutional.

Patrick Kennedy, 43, would have been the first convicted rapist in 44 years to be executed in a case in which the victim was not killed.

Kennedy was convicted of sexually assaulting his stepdaughter in her bed. The attack caused internal injuries and bleeding to the child, requiring extensive surgery, as well as severe emotional trauma, Louisiana prosecutors said.

"Difficulties in administering the penalty to ensure its arbitrary and capricious application require adherence to a rule reserving its use, at this stage of evolving standards and in cases of crimes against individuals, for crimes that take the life of the victim," Anthony Kennedy wrote in Wednesday's majority opinion.

Anthony Kennedy was supported by Justices John Paul Stevens, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer.

In 1976 and a year later, the U.S. Supreme Court banned capital punishment for rape -- and, by implication, any other crime except murder. But 19 years later, Louisiana passed a law allowing execution for the sexual violation of a child under 12. State lawmakers argued that the earlier high court cases pertained only to "adult women."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/25/scotus.child.rape/index.html

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 08:20:35 AM »
Child rapists can't be executed, Supreme Court rules

From Bill Mears
Supreme Court Producer

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Supreme Court ruled 5-4 Wednesday that child rapists cannot be executed, concluding capital punishment is reserved for murderers.

The ruling stemmed from the case of Patrick Kennedy, who has been on Louisiana's death row since 2003, when he was sentenced to be executed for raping his 8-year-old stepdaughter.

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion that "evolving standards of decency" in the United States forbid capital punishment for any crime other than murder. Execution of Patrick Kennedy, the justices ruled, would be unconstitutional.

Patrick Kennedy, 43, would have been the first convicted rapist in 44 years to be executed in a case in which the victim was not killed.

Kennedy was convicted of sexually assaulting his stepdaughter in her bed. The attack caused internal injuries and bleeding to the child, requiring extensive surgery, as well as severe emotional trauma, Louisiana prosecutors said.

"Difficulties in administering the penalty to ensure its arbitrary and capricious application require adherence to a rule reserving its use, at this stage of evolving standards and in cases of crimes against individuals, for crimes that take the life of the victim," Anthony Kennedy wrote in Wednesday's majority opinion.

Anthony Kennedy was supported by Justices John Paul Stevens, David Souter, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and Stephen Breyer.

In 1976 and a year later, the U.S. Supreme Court banned capital punishment for rape -- and, by implication, any other crime except murder. But 19 years later, Louisiana passed a law allowing execution for the sexual violation of a child under 12. State lawmakers argued that the earlier high court cases pertained only to "adult women."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/25/scotus.child.rape/index.html
Kind of hard for them to go for that with so many problems in the false conviction category.  If they get that cleaned up, which they might never do, then they could go for something like this.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008, 12:05:18 PM »
I'd like an expert..like a cop to weigh in. I am all for the Death Penalty..except it would appear in this case that it protects the victims because the kids won't be killed after the rape. We're our resident cop.
L

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 12:19:44 PM »
benchmstr is a cop, he'd tell you he would beat the shit out of them.

One life for another.

Think about that kid, is his or her life not traumatically ruined?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008, 02:28:44 PM »
Yeah i agree but apparently to douchbags who do this kind of shit, the punishment matters. A cop was the one who said that in this case, its better they get something else. Interesting theory.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008, 02:40:06 PM »

IMO nothing to weigh. rape or molest a child and you rightfully deserve to DIE !

NT

That's my thinking too, but what about cases that don't have any physical evidence and rely solely on the victim's testimony?  You remember the McMartin (sp?) preschool trial?   

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008, 02:56:07 PM »
I personally don’t care for the death penalty.
I think it’s too easy of a sentence. It’s over too quickly.
IMO something much more brutally punishing seems in order. Something that would make them (truly) regret their crime over a long, long time.

I - and many others - could come up with some very good ideas for this, but there’d always be activists somewhere protesting and fighting to give the guilty more rights than their poor vicitims.
 >:( 

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008, 02:57:45 PM »
One more advantage to keeping the sick bastards alive is that, if it is ever discovered that they really are innocent, at least reparations can be made.

That’s not an option if we cook’em.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2008, 03:20:47 PM »

solid evidence like DNA, witness' etc. would be necessary to fry the bastard. if not, prison (solitary) for life.

NT

That'll only work if and when they ever make life in prison mean LIFE in prison.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 03:40:22 PM »
Lawmakers vow to execute child rapists 

(AP) -- Angry politicians vowed to keep writing laws that condemn child rapists to death, despite a Supreme Court decision saying such punishment is unconstitutional.

"Anybody in the country who cares about children should be outraged that we have a Supreme Court that would issue a decision like this," said Alabama Attorney General Troy King, a Republican. The justices, he said, are "creating a situation where the country is a less safe place to grow up."

The court's 5-4 decision Wednesday derailed the efforts of nearly a dozen states supporting the right to kill those convicted of raping a child and said execution was confined to attacks that take a life and to other crimes including treason and espionage.

At issue before the high court was a Louisiana case involving Patrick Kennedy, sentenced to die for raping his 8-year-old daughter in her bed, an assault so severe she required surgery.

In his majority opinion, Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote that "the death penalty is not a proportional punishment for the rape of a child," despite the horrendous nature of the crime.

Republican Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal called the ruling "incredibly absurd" and "a clear abuse of judicial authority" and said officials will "evaluate ways to amend our statute to maintain death as a penalty for this horrific crime."

Oklahoma officials said they, too, weren't ready to give up and would "certainly look at what options we have," state Sen. Jay Paul Gumm said. "I think the people of Oklahoma have spoken loudly that this is one of the most heinous of crimes."

Even White House hopefuls joined the fray.

Republican Sen. John McCain called the ruling "an assault on law enforcement's efforts to punish these heinous felons for the most despicable crime." Democratic Sen. Barack Obama said there should be no blanket prohibition of the death penalty for the rape of children if states want to apply it in those cases.

Forty-four states prohibit the death penalty for any kind of rape, and at least four states besides Louisiana permit it for child rape: Montana, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas. There's disagreement over the status of a Georgia law permitting execution for child rape, although Kennedy said in his ruling that it was still in effect.

After the ruling, all become unconstitutional.

In Texas, Republican Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst said Wednesday that most Texans believe that the death penalty is "an appropriate form of punishment for repeat child molesters. Our top priority remains protecting our most precious resource: our children."

But the Texas Association Against Sexual Assault, a nonprofit victim advocacy group representing 80 rape crisis centers, applauded the ruling.

"Most child sexual abuse victims are abused by a family member or close family friend," the group said in a statement. "The reality is that child victims and their families don't want to be responsible for sending a grandparent, cousin or longtime family friend to death row."

Nationwide, only two men have been sentenced to death for sexually abusing children, both in Louisiana. The second case involves a man convicted of repeatedly raping a 5-year-old girl. Both men will get new sentences.

Several states, including Missouri, Alabama and Colorado, had been considering similar laws.

In South Carolina, Republican Attorney General Henry McMaster said states could fight Wednesday's ruling by waiting for a change in the makeup of the Supreme Court or by getting legislatures to redo death penalty laws.

Legal experts were divided on the potential success of such tactics.

According to Douglas Berman, a law professor at Ohio State University, the justices' ruling appears ironclad.

"In the absence of death, the death penalty is off the table," he said. The court, he said, "could have left open the possibility of revamping child rape laws, by age for example, but it did not."

Law professor Deborah Denno of Fordham University wasn't so sure. It could be possible to argue for the application of the death penalty against attackers who "intended to kill" their victims but didn't, she said. Or those who assault especially young children, such as toddlers.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/06/26/scotus.child.rape.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 04:07:28 PM »
Interesting. People calling for child molesters to be tortured to death, executed, and all kinds of grim things but someone does the same things to terrorists who have actually killed dozens up dozens of people and it's unconstitutional, criminal, inhumane and a multitude of other things. Hilarious!

First I've heard of anyone actually complaining about innocent Americans in jails. Seems most care more about "possibly" innocent terrorists.

I don't think they should be executed. Too many wrongly accused people end up on death row. And like one of the Supreme Court justices said, knowing that child rape will land one on death row will just give them more incentive to kill their victims afterwards.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 04:50:29 PM »
I don't think they should be executed. Too many wrongly accused people end up on death row. And like one of the Supreme Court justices said, knowing that child rape will land one on death row will just give them more incentive to kill their victims afterwards.

Agree entirely.