Author Topic: Why do television Ministers/Preachers solicite money CONSTANTLY?  (Read 3794 times)

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
I was up early this morning so I turned on the tv to check some scores from last night and watch the local news. As I was flipping around I came to a religious show with Jimmy Swaggart so I decided to watch for a few minutes.

I made it about 4 minutes before his constant sales pitches got to me. He was selling 4 or 5 things, cd's and books and transcripts. What is with the outrageous schilling for money from these people?

Aren't they supposed to be helping people? Aren't they supposed to be showing everyone the way to live a good life? A moral life? It saddens me that people follow him and feed him money in the name of God.

He's not the only one, they're all over the place and there are people lining up to send them money. These thieves have so clouded religion with their greed and ego's it's amazing anyone follows them at all.

I remember when I was a kid my father talking about some clown television preacher that said if he didn't raise $50 Million in a certain period of time God was calling him to heaven or something equally outrageous.

Why do people follow these crooks?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Why do television Ministers/Preachers solicite money CONSTANTLY?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 12:18:52 PM »
I don't know why people follow some of these crooks.

I think the guy your father was talking about was Oral Roberts or something like that.

effin, you may find this website interesting:  www.ministrywatch.com

They have "alerts" on certain ministries and advise against donating to them.  They also have their "Top 30" to which they advocate donation.

Some on Alert:

TBN’s Response to ABC 20/20 Report Attempts to Mislead Donors, Transparency Grade Dropped to “F”

MinistryWatch.com Recommends that Donors Withhold Giving to Benny Hinn Ministries

ECFA Terminated Membership Ties with GUM

MinistryWatch.com advises donors to withhold support to Trinity Broadcasting Network; calls also for new leadership

Non-Transparent Ministries: Are they Faithful in Small Things?

Tsunami Disaster Scams

MinistryWatch.com calls for establishment of an independent commission to take over governance of Trinity Broadcasting Network

Claims by Leroy Jenkins Do Not Hold Up Under Scrutiny

Fraudulent Solicitation for Victory Orphan Center International

Where lies the Christianity of Christian Children's Fund?

Trinity Broadcasting Network's (TBN) hoarding too much cash

419/Nigerian Scam Targets Christians

I tried typing in Jimmy Swaggart to see what they say about him, but I think you need to type in the name of the ministry and I don't know what it is.

P.S.  How are those tweezerman's holding up? :)
R

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 12:20:13 PM »
Because business need income to survive.Simple. You take religion out of it and it's Home shopping network.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2007, 12:21:20 PM »
how do churches get their money?

They do it by the donations of the followers............... ..the more followers the more money!   That's why churches are easy to advertise that their "interpretation" is the right one and is better then the other churches.

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2007, 01:04:40 PM »
I went to see TD Jakes ONCE it was like a rock concert. He had tee shirts, videos and music for sale! I felt like breaking out the twine of reeds and spankin some booty!
W

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2007, 01:15:08 PM »
I went to see TD Jakes ONCE it was like a rock concert. He had tee shirts, videos and music for sale! I felt like breaking out the twine of reeds and spankin some booty!

This IMO, is where organized religion can't help it's self because it's very nature requires money which in turn requires followers. 

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 02:19:06 PM »
they need to live in million dollar homes, drive luxury cars, wear expensive suits.  Doing the lords work is a tough job, duh!  ::) ::)

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 02:19:17 PM »
hahaa well done Stella. I was gonna suggest ministrywatch.com. I can't believe how gullible people are.

I can just buy some airtime on local tv, sit on a fancy chair in front of the camera and command people to send me money in the name of Jesus. Yell, shout, 'pray,' rejoice, be saved, save others, tell the viewers that someone is being healed as I speak, and BOOM the cash comes pouring in!!!

ieffinhatecardio

• Getbig V
  • More proof God is a man.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 02:26:50 PM »
I don't know why people follow some of these crooks.

I think the guy your father was talking about was Oral Roberts or something like that.

effin, you may find this website interesting:  www.ministrywatch.com

They have "alerts" on certain ministries and advise against donating to them.  They also have their "Top 30" to which they advocate donation.

Some on Alert:

TBN’s Response to ABC 20/20 Report Attempts to Mislead Donors, Transparency Grade Dropped to “F”

MinistryWatch.com Recommends that Donors Withhold Giving to Benny Hinn Ministries

ECFA Terminated Membership Ties with GUM

MinistryWatch.com advises donors to withhold support to Trinity Broadcasting Network; calls also for new leadership

Non-Transparent Ministries: Are they Faithful in Small Things?

Tsunami Disaster Scams

MinistryWatch.com calls for establishment of an independent commission to take over governance of Trinity Broadcasting Network

Claims by Leroy Jenkins Do Not Hold Up Under Scrutiny

Fraudulent Solicitation for Victory Orphan Center International

Where lies the Christianity of Christian Children's Fund?

Trinity Broadcasting Network's (TBN) hoarding too much cash

419/Nigerian Scam Targets Christians

I tried typing in Jimmy Swaggart to see what they say about him, but I think you need to type in the name of the ministry and I don't know what it is.

P.S.  How are those tweezerman's holding up? :)

I checked out the link you provided but I couldn't find anything on the Jimmy Swaggart Ministries either. That's rather disappointing considering his reputation.

There's one television preacher that I actually like, his name is Joel Olsteen. He still panders for money but I at least like what he has to say and it appears that his pandering isn't as bad as many of the others. He's clearly charismatic and is comfortable preaching in front of millions. I actually enjoy watching his show occasionally although I wouldn't send him money if my life depended on it.

What he says seems to be rooted in common sense (some of the time) as opposed to strictly religious dogma.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 03:10:55 PM »
I checked out the link you provided but I couldn't find anything on the Jimmy Swaggart Ministries either. That's rather disappointing considering his reputation.

There's one television preacher that I actually like, his name is Joel Olsteen. He still panders for money but I at least like what he has to say and it appears that his pandering isn't as bad as many of the others. He's clearly charismatic and is comfortable preaching in front of millions. I actually enjoy watching his show occasionally although I wouldn't send him money if my life depended on it.

What he says seems to be rooted in common sense (some of the time) as opposed to strictly religious dogma.
You might try Charles Stanley (In Touch Ministries).  He is very good IMO.

And what about those tweezers >:(

;D

hahaa well done Stella. I was gonna suggest ministrywatch.com. I can't believe how gullible people are.

I can just buy some airtime on local tv, sit on a fancy chair in front of the camera and command people to send me money in the name of Jesus. Yell, shout, 'pray,' rejoice, be saved, save others, tell the viewers that someone is being healed as I speak, and BOOM the cash comes pouring in!!!

Have you ever seen Robert Tilton?  It's almost unbelievable!  Awhile back I heard he was wiping his sweat on pieces of cloth and selling them on TV as if they had some magical power :-\
R

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 03:33:44 PM »
Back in my "Bible-thumping" phase, I used to watch some TBN. The only preacher I liked was the late Adrian Rodgers. Boy was that guy eloquent and entertaining to listen to :)

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2007, 08:17:55 PM »
Fake Television Evangelist I.Q. Test

Take this quiz and find out how much you know about these men.

1. This televangelist has been known to heal phlegm and once, successfully, rebuked a hurricane from heading toward his TV production complex.
2. Who said, "You’d be surprised how well you can praise God in the back seat of a Rolls Royce Phantom 5."
3. Which televangelist said Eve gave birth to Cain and Abel out of her side, taught that Adam could fly and believes the Godhead is actually nine (count ‘em-nine) entities?
4. Who said, "IF you’re an intellectual, you’ll probably go to hell for it."
5. Which televangelist teaches that Jesus was rich and the Apostles were successful businessmen with plenty of money?
6. When sentencing this televangelist to 10 years in prison For money laundering, mail fraud, conspiracy, and interstate transportation of stolen property the judge said "You’ve picked the last flake of flesh from the carcass of the widow you defrauded."
7. Who felt he had to go to a psychiatrist to find out whether or not he was homosexual?
8. Who reports that U.S. interstate highway signs are coded to let U.N. troops know where to attack in order to usher in a one-world government?
9. Who wishes he could have a Holy Ghost machine gun so he can kill his enemies?
10. Which televangelist was banned from British television for airing unsubstantiated testimonials?
11. Which televangelist, while being sentenced for tax fraud, was asked by the judge if he was from another planet?
12. Whose first miracle witnessed was the healing of a pet chicken?
13. Who, when accused of a sexual impropriety defended himself by saying a demon had duplicated him, and that if you see him doing anything bad, it’s not the real him?
14. This preacher proudly displayed himself in bed with a bevy of Playboy Playmates.
15. Who stars in his own worse-than-B movies and charges $930 for his Bible course on tape?
16. Which televangelist owns his own mountain top?
17. Who bought Twitty City and believes white hair is most often found among the holy?
18. This current televangelist was exposed years ago for receiving "words of knowledge" not from God, but from his wife via radio transmitter.
19. When an FCC investigation into his organization’s Finances Found that $ 13 million was unaccounted for, this preacher explained, "Satan got into our computer and lost the money
20. This preacher sells elderships to his church by mail.
21. Who claims U.N troops are currently hiding out in U.S. national parks?
22. While in federal prison this televangelist was publicly claiming to have repented, yet he was selling copies of his appeals papers proclaiming his innocence.
23. Who failed to meet Better Business Bureau standards of reporting income from fund-raising activities?

Answers below

1. Pat Robertson
2. Rev. Ike
3. Benny Hinn
4. Jonathan Bell
5. Fred Price
6. Jim Whittington
7. Jim Bakker
8. Jack & Rexela Van Impe
9. Benny Hinn
10. Morris Cerullo
11. WV Grant
12. Jan Crouch
13. Bob Larson
14. Gene Scott
15. Kenneth Copeland
16. Pat Robertson
17. Paul Crouch
18. Peter Popoff
19. Jim Bakker
20. Morris Cerullo
21. Jack & Rexela Van Impe
22. Jim Bakker
23. All TV evangelists listed here
W

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 03:57:16 AM »
You might try Charles Stanley (In Touch Ministries).  He is very good IMO.

And what about those tweezers >:(

;D

Have you ever seen Robert Tilton?  It's almost unbelievable!  Awhile back I heard he was wiping his sweat on pieces of cloth and selling them on TV as if they had some magical power :-\

My sister used to go to Charles Stnaley here in Atlanta.  He keeps sending stuff to the house asking for donations. etc.  They go into the trash, especially after driving by the multimillion dollar complex they built and the fact that they almost insist on at least 10% donations.  Robert Tiltonis a joke.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 06:00:48 AM »
Hustle Man that list is interesting!  Do you have the link?

Robert Tilton is by far my favorite TV preacher. Really good messages, positive outlook and hardly asks for money. Here's some of his work. It's awesome, well worth a couple minutes to watch this short clip:

I looked for that about months ago....thank you!

My sister used to go to Charles Stnaley here in Atlanta.  He keeps sending stuff to the house asking for donations. etc.  They go into the trash, especially after driving by the multimillion dollar complex they built and the fact that they almost insist on at least 10% donations.  Robert Tiltonis a joke.
If you give to a ministry they usually periodically send out mailings requesting support. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

Migs, are you saying that Charles Stanley's ministry insists you give at least 10% to HIS ministry?  Or that you tithe at least 10% in general?

R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 06:06:28 AM »
there are like 3 or 4 farting vids out there, they are funny!

No tithe 10% to his ministry.  Like I said my sister sued to go there.  Also they had her buy a bunch of books and cds/dvds, plus some cahrity blnaket thingy. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 06:13:27 AM »
Here is what it says in a study bible we have of his:

What the Bible Says about Tithing and Giving

Mal 3:8-12

First, we are to bring them into His storehouse.  Generally that meant His tabernacle or temple in the OT, and the church in the NT.  We are to give our tithes wherever we regularly worship the Lord-not to a mere charitable work only, but to a work that bears the Lord's name.

So to me this says I should give to my church, as well as "other works that bear the Lord's name."  I don't take this as saying I should give to Charles STanley's church, as I don't "regularly worship the Lord" there.  But I can see that if your sister went there, she would take it as she should give to that church.  It makes sense to me though.
R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 06:33:19 AM »
which is understandable, but from what i gathered, those that where in finacial hardships and really coudlnt afford to give where looked down upon.  Especially didnt like the fact that so much money went to build a new institute.  To me (if i went there) i would rather that money go to helping people, not building a complex.

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2007, 05:08:28 PM »
I looked for that about months ago....thank you!
If you give to a ministry they usually periodically send out mailings requesting support. I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing.

Migs, are you saying that Charles Stanley's ministry insists you give at least 10% to HIS ministry?  Or that you tithe at least 10% in general?

Sorry Stella i don't have it but you can type in "tv evangelist" and I think a false doctrine page will come up. Be careful this guy may offend you or you might believe the same as him but he has some interesting view points about the major doctrines.
W

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »

Check your PM.
W

Unknown8471

• Getbig II
  • I will never be a memery
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2007, 01:46:34 AM »
one word. Coruption
unknown