Author Topic: Phil Hernon... what did he accomplish?  (Read 18869 times)

oldman

• Getbig III
Re: Phil Hernon... what did he accomplish?
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2007, 01:03:11 PM »
can you tell me how many top bodybuilders have a family and career?
and kids?

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2007, 01:24:05 PM »
If they are top BB's then their "career" is BB and they earn a living from it....a few do very well.

The lack of income from BB for just a basic pro isn't their fault, however, but the fault lies with the game of BB and the organization.

BB is a very difficult thing to do and actually do well in.  Unfortunately they don't get paid well, but it requires lots more dedication than the typical 9-5 job.  Wake up, eat a bagel and coffee, go to work, eat a fast food meal for lunch, back to work, go home, eat dinner with family, watch tv and go to sleep and do the same the next day isn't too challenging, ya know.

Also, it would surprise you how many BB's have kids and families.  I'll tell you the whole "sterile " thing with steroids is not 100% accurate.

As far as families or whatever, divorce is above 50%, people aren't even getting married until much later today so it is seen throughout all walks of life.

I'm definitly not an avocate for BB as it is today, but to compare getting a masters to winning a 1 out of 5 slot each year title is ridiculous.

I ask the guy that brought up masters, does the winner of the weightlifting, shot put, swimming, wrestling, boxing olympics every 4 years get much in the way of future opportunities?  The answer is no.  I personally know a Olympic Gold medalist in wrestling and a weight lifter (bronze) that had few.

Would you actually be ridiculous enough to compare your going to college to winning something like that?

C'mon, head over to Starbucks and hang with your other overacheivers...please.

Opportunity, my friend, nothing more provides you with a masters.   

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 01:36:36 PM »
Only 4-5% of lawyers are trial attorneys who have ever tried a case in court. Most just sit behind a desk with stacks of papers and dream of how their life would have been different if they had only picked up that Pro Card.

Hmmm, let us compare the incomes of the top 100  lawyers with the top 100 IFBB pros?

Ok enough bashing of the sport I love the best, BODYBUILDING.
Only the best of the best earn an IFBB pro card. Phil H did that but he didn't do much as a pro.
The big issue is that the reality is that one has to risk their health and even going to jail to get that pro card.
Why does it have to be that way? Gtanted no intense sport is risk free, but this seems over the top.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2007, 01:47:14 PM »
Gtanted no intense sport is risk free, but this seems over the top.

many sports don't have a great risk to benifit ratio.

Ask the boxer that isn't ranked top ten, but won the golden gloves how the risk to (financial) benifit is after getting punched in the head thousand of times.

Ask the nascar driver that doesn't qualify for the big race, has near misses on the track every day but raceing is his "job".

BB has gotten out of hand with the drugs, no doubt.  Unfortunately advancing is life...moving ahead compared to those that came before you.

Fortunately, in BB I think we have seen the top level of muscularity a human can achieve without throwing off the other valuable qualities that come with an award winning physique.  Therefore, i do not think the abuse will continue to escalate as much.

Those that do keep forging ahead in this game will have to keep in mind the word symmetry, balance, asthetics...because without it it really is not what BB is.

These guys today look disgusting, they actually self create or induce acromegaly....crazy.

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2007, 09:29:20 PM »
Carlos,

You answered my question and dont realize it, the kids want to look like the bodybuilders in MD and Flex.  You just told me what they are taking.  I believe you because friends of mine take all kinds of stuff and they never intend on competing.

I started lifting in 1972 because I admired bodybuilders at the time, I now weigh 230lbs.  I have gone up to 248 on one occasion. 

I am 51 on the 19th of this month and hope going to jail or dying for a sport changes.  You certainly dont see professionals dying to become the best lawyer or saleman, do you.  Please, dont make going to jail attractive to young readers, its a big mistake that can end a dream of a government or military career.

I believe you are confused, most of the kids DO NOT want to look like the bodybuilders in Flex and MD.  They take what they take just to look athletic.  Which is pathetic in my book.  I am 36 years old, a very young 36 as I still frequent night clubs/ lounges.  Some of the young guys in there would awe you with their intake!  They do nothing in regards to training, nothing as as far as dieting, they just use recreational drugs to obtain a "feeling or look" they like.

As a competitive bodybuilder, going to jail is not one of my goals, never was, are there risks?  Of course. Am i aware?  Yes.  Do I wish my child to become a competetive bodybuilder? NO.  Should he decide he would go that route after several enlightening conversations, I would have no alternative but to guide him as best as I can.

Do I see professionals dying to become lawyers and salesman?  They may actually be dying because they are lawyers and salesmen.  What I do see is lawyers, doctors, mortgage brokers, et al, sniffing cocaine, addicted to pain killers, taking speed then taking a valium to go to bed..... You get my drift?  Don't go there, you'd be amazed at what goes on in the "real" world.  They run as much of a risk as a pro bodybuilder. 

Make sure that that child with the promissing military career or our future governor understands that corruption is illegal-can get you in jail.  Bribery is illegal, can get you thrown in jail.  Going awol is illegal and can get you thrown in jail.  Embezzlement is illegal and can get you thrown in jail.....  Ok?  Let's take a look at our jails, are there more pro bodybuilders in jail or the above mentioned lawyers, doctors, et al?  Though our jails are more filled with common criminals- thieves, drug dealers, rapists etc.  I believe there's probably more "professionals" in there than our "professional bodybuilders.

I would never want any child to divert from being something big in life!  Ever.  I pray over and over for today's youth as they are our future.  Some of those kids will want to be bodybuilders, they can be worst things in life....

Carlo

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 09:52:17 PM »
Let's see..  A master's degree.  Avoiding a prison sentence.  Avoiding possibly ruining my health.

Let's get real.  As you say it is a bodybuilding forum, which is why I asked what he accomplished.  He got a pro card... and then what????   Isn't that like an attorney passing the bar and then never winning a case?

Now please go ahead and compare my lack of a pro card vs the one he has.  That is about the standard response you have to fall back on.

If you began this post to enlighten us upon how intelligent you are or how you've avoided a prison sentence or how you are in good health, congratulations.  You've succeeded.  I am real.  You keep asking what he's accomplished, you have obviously never competed in an organized bodybuilding event.  Not every bodybuilder's goals may be to turn pro, some, just "wind up there."  I actually know a few attorneys who have passed the bar, who own their own businesses with absolutely no relation to law whatsoever!  So what have they accomplished?  I guess nothing, right?  If you believe this you are a fool.

I am not righting the ship for bodybuilders, God knows most of them do a good job of ruining their reputations on their own, but, sometimes acheiving something that at one time seemed unobtainable is an accomplishment, even if not in your eyes.  Personally, 15 years ago, when I stepped on stage for the first time in my life, I never would have imagined that I would be this close to "turning pro," ever!  Nor did I ever want to, to be honest with you.  As my competitive career grew, I became more successful and winning shows became routine,my performance at work also improved.  At the age of 25, I opened my first restaurant, owned it for 10 years, sold it for a very nice profit, took 8 months off of work entirely to relax before my next venture, then opened my first cafe in Oct. of 2005, while preparing for the NPC nationals, I placed 3rd by the way.  In March of 2007, I opened up my second cafe.  And, as of this past week I have just signed a contract to open a 3rd by October of this year.  My point?  I never set out to be a "pro" but with every successful outing grew a new found goal.  It was not until 2004 that I even believed I ever had a chance at being a pro.

Now that I am this close I will attempt to turn pro. If I succeed?  Then what?  Do I become a failure?  Or do you then have the right to ask,-- What will you have accomplished?  Nothing, I guess!  In your eyes anyway! ::)

What Phil Hernon did with his pro card really has nothing to do with anything, he already HAS accomplished something, except you do not acknowledge it as such.  I am certain he still sleeps well at night.

Carlo

legbreaker

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2007, 11:07:51 PM »
I believe you are confused, most of the kids DO NOT want to look like the bodybuilders in Flex and MD.  They take what they take just to look athletic.  Which is pathetic in my book.  I am 36 years old, a very young 36 as I still frequent night clubs/ lounges.  Some of the young guys in there would awe you with their intake!  They do nothing in regards to training, nothing as as far as dieting, they just use recreational drugs to obtain a "feeling or look" they like.

As a competitive bodybuilder, going to jail is not one of my goals, never was, are there risks?  Of course. Am i aware?  Yes.  Do I wish my child to become a competetive bodybuilder? NO.  Should he decide he would go that route after several enlightening conversations, I would have no alternative but to guide him as best as I can.

Do I see professionals dying to become lawyers and salesman?  They may actually be dying because they are lawyers and salesmen.  What I do see is lawyers, doctors, mortgage brokers, et al, sniffing cocaine, addicted to pain killers, taking speed then taking a valium to go to bed..... You get my drift?  Don't go there, you'd be amazed at what goes on in the "real" world.  They run as much of a risk as a pro bodybuilder. 

Make sure that that child with the promissing military career or our future governor understands that corruption is illegal-can get you in jail.  Bribery is illegal, can get you thrown in jail.  Going awol is illegal and can get you thrown in jail.  Embezzlement is illegal and can get you thrown in jail.....  Ok?  Let's take a look at our jails, are there more pro bodybuilders in jail or the above mentioned lawyers, doctors, et al?  Though our jails are more filled with common criminals- thieves, drug dealers, rapists etc.  I believe there's probably more "professionals" in there than our "professional bodybuilders.

I would never want any child to divert from being something big in life!  Ever.  I pray over and over for today's youth as they are our future.  Some of those kids will want to be bodybuilders, they can be worst things in life....

Carlo

Very well written post, carlos.

I trained many top wall street exects when I was in NY and ALL of them were 1 day without their blood pressure meds from a life ending heart attack....None of them had good relationships and mosty were divorced.

great examples,  Oldman.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2007, 06:16:03 AM »
If you began this post to enlighten us upon how intelligent you are or how you've avoided a prison sentence or how you are in good health, congratulations.  You've succeeded.  I am real.  You keep asking what he's accomplished, you have obviously never competed in an organized bodybuilding event.  Not every bodybuilder's goals may be to turn pro, some, just "wind up there."  I actually know a few attorneys who have passed the bar, who own their own businesses with absolutely no relation to law whatsoever!  So what have they accomplished?  I guess nothing, right?  If you believe this you are a fool.

I am not righting the ship for bodybuilders, God knows most of them do a good job of ruining their reputations on their own, but, sometimes acheiving something that at one time seemed unobtainable is an accomplishment, even if not in your eyes.  Personally, 15 years ago, when I stepped on stage for the first time in my life, I never would have imagined that I would be this close to "turning pro," ever!  Nor did I ever want to, to be honest with you.  As my competitive career grew, I became more successful and winning shows became routine,my performance at work also improved.  At the age of 25, I opened my first restaurant, owned it for 10 years, sold it for a very nice profit, took 8 months off of work entirely to relax before my next venture, then opened my first cafe in Oct. of 2005, while preparing for the NPC nationals, I placed 3rd by the way.  In March of 2007, I opened up my second cafe.  And, as of this past week I have just signed a contract to open a 3rd by October of this year.  My point?  I never set out to be a "pro" but with every successful outing grew a new found goal.  It was not until 2004 that I even believed I ever had a chance at being a pro.

Now that I am this close I will attempt to turn pro. If I succeed?  Then what?  Do I become a failure?  Or do you then have the right to ask,-- What will you have accomplished?  Nothing, I guess!  In your eyes anyway! ::)

What Phil Hernon did with his pro card really has nothing to do with anything, he already HAS accomplished something, except you do not acknowledge it as such.  I am certain he still sleeps well at night.

Carlo

Can we get Cliff Notes please?

The question I asked is very simple.  No need for long self therapy replies.  I am not interested in anything you may or may not accomplish.  If I were, then it would be your name in the thread title.  Since it isn't, I'm not.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2007, 06:19:01 AM »
priorities change in life and at some point Phil decided that being mr. o wasn't all that important anymore.

He decided that having a family and good careers as both a teacher and a gym owner are more important than a sandow

now the real question is why are you singling out Phil trying to make his life look like a big failure?

One of the better answers so far.

There was a reason I asked about Phil, related to something off board here, that reason being isn't important.  But you could easily interject any number of pros that fizzled out as well in the place of his name.

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2007, 06:54:33 AM »

With your masters degree, you need cliff notes to read a paragraph or two?

The question I asked is very simple.  No need for long self therapy replies. I am not interested in anything you may or may not accomplish.  If I were, then it would be your name in the thread title.  Since it isn't, I'm not.

I guess you are right, you are only interested in letting us know what you have accomplished.  Interesting how you weren't at all quick to point out your accomplishments. ::) ::) 

Here's an answer to your question:  I guess other than one isolated incident Phil has managed to stay out of jail, hold a job and educate others......  does this work for you?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2007, 06:56:01 AM »
Howie, a simple question:

Do you believe they should remove drug use from pro BBing?

omg

• Getbig III
  • Maybe we all just havent figured it out yet
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2007, 07:21:22 AM »

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2007, 02:06:27 PM »
Hi.  Old interview.  Back in 2004 immediately following a leg workout.  Hope all is well.

Carlo

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2007, 08:54:35 PM »

With your masters degree, you need cliff notes to read a paragraph or two?

It's not a question of being able to read it, it is simply that I don't care to. 

That better for you flexed1?

omg

• Getbig III
  • Maybe we all just havent figured it out yet
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2007, 12:38:10 AM »
Hi.  Old interview.  Back in 2004 immediately following a leg workout.  Hope all is well.

Carlo

hope u get ur pro card, u sound like a nice person, good luck

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2007, 06:43:00 AM »
hope u get ur pro card, u sound like a nice person, good luck

Indeed.  Not to mention his recipes are actually pretty damn good.

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2007, 08:20:57 AM »
Thanks guys.  I really don't want to hijack this thread, but the pro card would be nice.  Thanks again.

Carlo

vinnyvee

• Getbig IV
  • Dorian never bitched, he just shut em up!
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2007, 09:56:18 AM »
Thanks guys.  I really don't want to hijack this thread, but the pro card would be nice.  Thanks again.

Carlo

Forget it. It's already hijacked. Dude, are you really 5'3"  ???

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2007, 12:08:37 PM »

Carlo

You hijacked it.  Penalty is one decent protein bar recipe.  None of this stuff that takes 3 hours and 14 utensils - 6 which have some German name you can't pronounce - to make either.

Using :

Protein Powder
Oatmeal (ground to dust in the food processor)
skim milk
honey
all natural peanut butter

Old_Rooster

• Getbig IV
  • SquadFathers mom gave me a BJ
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2007, 12:10:42 PM »
what does any bodybuilder accomplish?  they workout hoping to achieve personal goals, then they become the big guy at the gym.  maybe they compete and maybe not.  what about professional goals or a family.  it used to be mr. america, mr universe.

now, most bodybuilders are waiting to be arrested for possession of one drug or another.  bring the sport back into focus.  it is not worth dying over.

the "arnold" generation had more class and comraderie.  if you recall, Merv Griffin often had a few bodybuilder on his show.  wide world of sports used to have bodybuilding competitions.  now, we see arrests and investigations.

if you were outside the sport, it was a mystery as to how these people got so large.  its out on the table now, its time to change.

what have you accomplished...

I flicked a booger on a dudes car today.  I don't like him.  Now he drives the booger mobile.  It was a big green booger.
Benjamin Pearson-Pedo

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2007, 12:19:38 PM »
Phil Hernon was a 5 ft 7" mutant (and i mean that in a good way)

CRIS

• Getbig III
  • Team Patrick Bateman
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2007, 09:37:41 PM »
Reservations at Dorsia ?

CF

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Ready or not!
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2007, 08:11:27 AM »
Forget it. It's already hijacked. Dude, are you really 5'3"  ???

Yep!!!!  And really proud of it!  Wouldn't want to be an inch taller! ;D

Carlo