Author Topic: PROOF YOU CAN GROW IN A CALORIE DEFECIT!!!!  (Read 28716 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: PROOF YOU CAN GROW IN A CALORIE DEFECIT!!!!
« Reply #200 on: June 14, 2007, 03:00:24 PM »
The Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 61:781-794 (2006)
© 2006 The Gerontological Society of America

Calorie Restriction in Mice: Effects on Body Composition, Daily Activity, Metabolic Rate, Mitochondrial Reactive Oxygen Species Production, and Membrane Fatty Acid Composition
Sally C. Faulks, Nigel Turner, Paul L. Else and A. J. Hulbert
1 Metabolic Research Centre, and 2 School of Biological Sciences, 3 Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia.

Address correspondence to A. J. Hulbert, PhD, DSc, School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia. E-mail: hulbert@uow.edu.au

Different levels of calorie restriction (CR) (125, 85, 50, or 40 kcal/wk for 1, 3, and 6 months) were examined in mice by using the paradigm of Weindruch and colleagues. Lean and total body mass increased on 125 and 85 kcal/wk, but there was negligible growth on low-energy intake. There was no CR-induced reduction in either daily activity or mass-specific metabolic rate. There was no CR-effect on in vitro reactive oxygen species production by liver or muscle mitochondria at 3 months, but after 6 months the effect was significantly reduced in liver mitochondria from 40 kcal/wk mice compared to 125 kcal/wk mice. Changes in the fatty acid composition of phospholipids from liver, kidneys, heart, brain, and skeletal muscle were observed following 1 month of CR.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #201 on: June 14, 2007, 03:03:05 PM »
Calorie restriction shown to boost longevity and slow loss of muscle mass in animal experiment
Monday, July 10, 2006 by: NewsTarget

(NewsTarget) A study recently published in the Journal of Gerontology: Biological Sciences suggests that eating less may help people stay strong even in old age.
Scientists from the University of Calgary found that rats fed a nutritious, calorie-restricted diet maintained their muscle mass much better than rats that ate a normal amount of food. "It's the equivalent of an 80-year-old rat with the muscles of a 20-year-old rat," said Russ Hepple, a physiologist at the University of Calgary.

Although it is well-documented that a low calorie diet increases life expectancy, this is the first study showing a connection between diet and strength. In Hepple's experiment, rats that consumed a low calorie diet lost only 20 percent of their muscle mass as they aged, with no loss of muscle function. Rats fed a normal diet lost 50 percent of their strength and 50 percent of their muscle function as they aged.

Researchers are still trying to understand how a low calorie diet preserves muscles. Experiments performed so far seem to show that cutting calories helps the mitochondria function better, which improves the rats ability to rebuild and replace cells as they age. Hepple's next study will focus on antioxidants, exercise and gene therapy to see how these areas affect muscle maintenance.

While cutting calories by 40 percent showed significant improvement in the study rats, Hepple does not recommend such severe calorie restriction for the average person. He encourages people to eat a healthy diet and stay active throughout their lives.

affy

« Reply #202 on: June 14, 2007, 03:03:27 PM »
just a quick question for the people who think you can grow off a calorie deficit

how do you explain the guys who come to the gym every other day...and look the same month after month.

theres this one kid i see in my gym (looks under 18...probably has a high metabolism)...he's been coming to the gym consistently for about a year (at least i see him almost every time i'm there)..and he looks exactly the same as he did last year.

The first thing that came to my head was this kid isn't eating enough...because there's no way someone can workout 3-4 times a week, and not make any visible changes.  Im sure everyone has atleast 2 or 3 of these guys in their gyms. 

It just doesn't make sense that you can gain tissue on a sub-maintenance diet

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #203 on: June 14, 2007, 03:05:18 PM »
just a quick question for the people who think you can grow off a calorie deficit

how do you explain the guys who come to the gym every other day...and look the same month after month.

theres this one kid i see in my gym (looks under 18...probably has a high metabolism)...he's been coming to the gym consistently for about a year (at least i see him almost every time i'm there)..and he looks exactly the same as he did last year.

The first thing that came to my head was this kid isn't eating enough...because there's no way someone can workout 3-4 times a week, and not make any visible changes.  Im sure everyone has atleast 2 or 3 of these guys in their gyms. 

It just doesn't make sense that you can gain tissue on a sub-maintenance diet
He is under 18 and his Testosterone is just now kicking in. 

jonsande

• Getbig II
« Reply #204 on: June 14, 2007, 03:10:38 PM »
Looking good, bro.  Keep up the good work and keep us posted on your continued results. 

arce377

• Getbig IV
  • ARCE DO SAN MARTIALARTS SCHOOL
« Reply #205 on: June 14, 2007, 03:13:24 PM »
140 lbs.
ARCE
DOSAN DOJO

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #206 on: June 14, 2007, 03:16:50 PM »
I also have TONS of human studies for those interested.  These are just a few of my favorite.

HUMAN STUDIES     

Toward a unified theory of caloric restriction and longevity regulation.

Gene expression profiling studies of aging in cardiac and skeletal muscles.
 Short-term very low calorie diet reduces oxidative stress in obese type 2 diabetic patients.

The influence of calorie restriction during the Ramadan fast on serum fructosamine and the formation of beta hydroxybutirate in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients.

Energy restriction and aging.

An introduction to nutritional treatment in inborn errors of metabolism--different disorders, different approaches.

Calorie restriction, aging, and cancer prevention: mechanisms of action and applicability to humans.

Is there an antiaging medicine?

Endogenous oxidative stress: relationship to aging, longevity and caloric restriction.
 Neuroendocrine and pharmacological manipulations to assess how caloric restriction increases life span.

Leptin and anti-aging action of caloric restriction.

The calorically restricted low-fat nutrient-dense diet in Biosphere 2 significantly lowers blood glucose, total leukocyte count, cholesterol, and blood pressure in humans.

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #207 on: June 14, 2007, 05:20:15 PM »
You can take steroids and eat a 1500 calorie diet and make excellent gains. Why? Because steroids increase protien synthesis, water retention, and protien synthesis doesn't stop in a calorie defecit.

I don't believe the gains you would make eating 1500 calories a day are anything like what they would be if you ate a more traditional BB diet, especially if you're natural.  Roids will work but you still need building blocks, it's simple math and it has to add up.
nasser=piece of shit

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #208 on: June 14, 2007, 05:31:31 PM »
I don't believe the gains you would make eating 1500 calories a day are anything like what they would be if you ate a more traditional BB diet, especially if you're natural.  Roids will work but you still need building blocks, it's simple math and it has to add up.

the thing is without roids (or myostatin inhibhition) you just can't gain muscle very fast, you can be eating 3750 clean calories spread out over 8 meals and if you are an experienced trainer you still won't gain more than 3 or 4 pounds of muscle in a year if you're lucky.

the thing is, if you eat that much you will gain a load of fat.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #209 on: June 14, 2007, 05:45:16 PM »
LOLOL Research Shitloading.  As if that is a scientific term. LOLOL Curt, you are killing me here!  I am rolling on the floor laughing.

Adam if you REALLY think I meant research it on pub-med then I would seriously question your common sense skills.  I meant research it on various message boards to get an idea of some approaches to the whole carb up.  Laugh if you want......I will refrain from my reaction to your methodology, ok?

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #210 on: June 14, 2007, 06:04:08 PM »
The Journals of Gerontology Series A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 61:781-794 (2006)
© 2006 The Gerontological Society of America

Calorie Restriction in Mice: Effects on Body Composition, Daily Activity, Metabolic Rate, Mitochondrial Reactive Oxygen Species Production, and Membrane Fatty Acid Composition
Sally C. Faulks, Nigel Turner, Paul L. Else and A. J. Hulbert
1 Metabolic Research Centre, and 2 School of Biological Sciences, 3 Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia.

Address correspondence to A. J. Hulbert, PhD, DSc, School of Biological Sciences, University of Wollongong, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia. E-mail: hulbert@uow.edu.au

Different levels of calorie restriction (CR) (125, 85, 50, or 40 kcal/wk for 1, 3, and 6 months) were examined in mice by using the paradigm of Weindruch and colleagues. Lean and total body mass increased on 125 and 85 kcal/wk, but there was negligible growth on low-energy intake. There was no CR-induced reduction in either daily activity or mass-specific metabolic rate. There was no CR-effect on in vitro reactive oxygen species production by liver or muscle mitochondria at 3 months, but after 6 months the effect was significantly reduced in liver mitochondria from 40 kcal/wk mice compared to 125 kcal/wk mice. Changes in the fatty acid composition of phospholipids from liver, kidneys, heart, brain, and skeletal muscle were observed following 1 month of CR.

Keep quoting your mice studies adam.  Remember, I can pull studies just like you are doing.  I would like for you to find the study that shows HYPERTROPHY IN A HUMAN IN A HYPOCALORIC STATE.  Or even better yet, one that shows that exercise induced proteolysis does not occur in trained individuals in a hypocaloric state.  The onus is on you for a number of things right now.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #211 on: June 14, 2007, 06:15:16 PM »
I also have TONS of human studies for those interested.  These are just a few of my favorite.

HUMAN STUDIES     

Toward a unified theory of caloric restriction and longevity regulation.

Gene expression profiling studies of aging in cardiac and skeletal muscles.
 Short-term very low calorie diet reduces oxidative stress in obese type 2 diabetic patients.

The influence of calorie restriction during the Ramadan fast on serum fructosamine and the formation of beta hydroxybutirate in type 2 diabetes mellitus patients.

Energy restriction and aging.

An introduction to nutritional treatment in inborn errors of metabolism--different disorders, different approaches.

Calorie restriction, aging, and cancer prevention: mechanisms of action and applicability to humans.

Is there an antiaging medicine?

Endogenous oxidative stress: relationship to aging, longevity and caloric restriction.
 Neuroendocrine and pharmacological manipulations to assess how caloric restriction increases life span.

Leptin and anti-aging action of caloric restriction.

The calorically restricted low-fat nutrient-dense diet in Biosphere 2 significantly lowers blood glucose, total leukocyte count, cholesterol, and blood pressure in humans.

Very appropriate.....2 studies on diabetics...... 

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #212 on: June 14, 2007, 06:40:13 PM »

;D

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #213 on: June 14, 2007, 07:05:13 PM »
He is under 18 and his Testosterone is just now kicking in. 

what?

what about puberty?  not everyone starts growing pubes at 24, like you.
Deep Tissue Massage

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2007, 09:16:04 PM »
what?

what about puberty?  not everyone starts growing pubes at 24, like you.

puberty is finished with a surge of testosterone.

see my thread on permabulkers for more info.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #215 on: June 15, 2007, 04:13:23 AM »
one thing that adam and the bugs aren'tfactoring in here is the fact that maintaining muscle in a calorie deficit (and that is the most positive conclusion i can attain from this entire thread) is dependant on the subject preserving a very average amount of muscle mass.

yes, the body WILL preserve a certain amount of muscle mass in a calorie deficit, but it will very quickly shed excess muscle mass under these conditions in order to preserve life saving fat stores.

the human body is still operating on 'feast or famine'. when you cut calories drastically it thinks you're undergoing famine ie a saber tooth tiger is sitting outside your cave and you have to exist on fat stores for a while, so it says, "gee, do we really need that 230lbs of ripped muscle tissue or is survival more important?"

bug is built like one, i mean 150lbs at 5'11", come on? is that why people take up weight traininig? is that all a natural trainee can expect to achieve? i'm sorry but the pre-existing evidence states otherwise.

the key to bodybuilding is attaining a physique that is big AND lean, not one or the other. this theory is just as flawed as the 'bulk at any cost' one, except in reverse.

i congratulate you if this was a genuine study but, sorry, it's flawed and a little too simplistic.

keep trying though. :)

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #216 on: June 15, 2007, 11:55:36 AM »
LOLOL Research Shitloading.  As if that is a scientific term. LOLOL Curt, you are killing me here!  I am rolling on the floor laughing.

you're such a tool, it's just a slang term for a particular way of carb loading.  Funny how you base everything of science yet when I asked you to take an LBM waaay back before the MGB and take one again a few months later to prove you gained or even maintained muscle on your diet you refused cause you "have your own methods"....I'm sure they have a ton of scientific backing to them ::) ::)
nasser=piece of shit

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #217 on: July 01, 2007, 08:41:04 PM »
you're such a tool, it's just a slang term for a particular way of carb loading.  Funny how you base everything of science yet when I asked you to take an LBM waaay back before the MGB and take one again a few months later to prove you gained or even maintained muscle on your diet you refused cause you "have your own methods"....I'm sure they have a ton of scientific backing to them ::) ::)

they have done a lot more research on caloric restriction and its effect on lean muscle then they have done about bodybuilding methods.

check the literature.