Author Topic: POST workout caffeine?  (Read 745 times)

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
POST workout caffeine?
« on: June 14, 2007, 08:42:57 AM »
I take it before, but after?  I don't see the sense in it.

REDUCE
POST-WORKOUT
SORENESS...
WITH CAFFEINE?

Q:I just read something that suggested that drinking caffeine is beneficial to post-workout soreness. Any truth to that?

A:I located the study you were referring to, and it is related to DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). And yes, caffeine does benefit you in that way. It was run by the University of Georgia and is in the current issue of Journal of Pain. It’s basically a study of women, which shouldn’t matter, but it was an interesting choice and I don’t know if it’s because of the interaction of prostoglandins from hormonal cycles in women that prompted them to study only women. No matter. Caffeine supposedly blocks the activity of adenosine, which activates pain receptors more readily. Subjects (just nine though) reported lessened muscle pain with caffeine use. I wouldn’t run out and buy stock in Starbucks but I would experiment. Don’t give up the ibuprofen just yet though. Water also lessens soreness if you drink it in large amounts after your workout.

http://www.getanabolics.com/2007/06/post-workout-soreness-wholesale-protein.html
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Re: POST workout caffeine?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 09:21:10 AM »
Caffeine supposedly blocks the activity of adenosine, which activates pain receptors more readily.

As in Adenosine Triphosphate, aka ATP?  The stuff that creatine increases?  Why would you wanna block that?

Besides, DOMS is far from crippling.