Author Topic: New weight loss pill "Alli"  (Read 5214 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
New weight loss pill "Alli"
« on: June 14, 2007, 03:08:27 PM »
A new over the counter weight loss pill promises users will drop pounds, but it's the side effects that have some local experts concerned.

The drug, which will be sold under the name "Alli", will hit store shelves later this week. The FDA approved the drug saying it does help people lose weight.

It's news that has some intrigued.

Professional guitarist Marc Vee is hitting the gym and it's working.

"I've lost seven pounds in the past two months," said Vee.

When he first heard about "Alli," it got is attention.

"I'm always interested to find out what a pill like that will do because there are some amazing pills out there," said Vee.

This pill works by preventing your body from absorbing fat.

But pharmacists say the possible side effects could keep you in the bathroom.

"Loose stools, urgencies, oil stools. I've heard issues of people who feel like they have to pass gas and that's not what comes out," said Rich Lawrence, pharmacist.

In fact, some experts suggest if you take "Alli," that you keep a change of clothes with you.

They say the fattier the foods you eat, the worse the side effects could be.

After hearing all the facts, Vee reconsidered using the new drug.

"You have to function at work and - it might be risky," he said.

But it's a risk some people will take. Health professionals and pharmacists say the pill isn't a magic bullet. If you take it - you still need to stay on a low fat diet and exercise.

Patients are also advised to take a vitamin supplement because "Alli" depletes the vitamins A, D, E and K from your body.

Many independent pharmacies say they have "Alli" on order and chain stores expect to have the drug on shelves by Thursday.

The pill cost about $60 for a month's supply.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
Re: New weight loss pill "Alli"
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 03:10:22 PM »
Stick with ephedrine, caffine and cardio.

The_Leafy_Bug

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 03:16:09 PM »
A new over the counter weight loss pill promises users will drop pounds, but it's the side effects that have some local experts concerned.

The drug, which will be sold under the name "Alli", will hit store shelves later this week. The FDA approved the drug saying it does help people lose weight.

It's news that has some intrigued.

Professional guitarist Marc Vee is hitting the gym and it's working.

"I've lost seven pounds in the past two months," said Vee.

When he first heard about "Alli," it got is attention.

"I'm always interested to find out what a pill like that will do because there are some amazing pills out there," said Vee.

This pill works by preventing your body from absorbing fat.

But pharmacists say the possible side effects could keep you in the bathroom.

"Loose stools, urgencies, oil stools. I've heard issues of people who feel like they have to pass gas and that's not what comes out," said Rich Lawrence, pharmacist.

In fact, some experts suggest if you take "Alli," that you keep a change of clothes with you.

They say the fattier the foods you eat, the worse the side effects could be.

After hearing all the facts, Vee reconsidered using the new drug.

"You have to function at work and - it might be risky," he said.

But it's a risk some people will take. Health professionals and pharmacists say the pill isn't a magic bullet. If you take it - you still need to stay on a low fat diet and exercise.

Patients are also advised to take a vitamin supplement because "Alli" depletes the vitamins A, D, E and K from your body.

Many independent pharmacies say they have "Alli" on order and chain stores expect to have the drug on shelves by Thursday.

The pill cost about $60 for a month's supply.

Thats absolutly pathetic. He could lose that in one week easily with the appropriate diet.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 03:28:11 PM »
yeah, that was actually on my local news and i just had to share.  7 pounds in two months.  That's just avoiding the third mountain dew with dinner.

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2007, 03:55:58 PM »
I'm actually really looking forward to this coming out because it is going to be a lot of fun seeing the people crap themselves.  You can easily tell if people at work are using this too because when they take a dump, often a bright orange oil comes out and it completely stains a toilet bowl.  The stain doesn't come out easily either.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2007, 04:03:39 PM »
yeah, that was actually on my local news and i just had to share.  7 pounds in two months.  That's just avoiding the third mountain dew with dinner.

Just drink diet!

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2007, 04:04:29 PM »
Just drink diet!

Diet soda is great!

Caffine for energy, and no calories!  ;D

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 04:05:02 PM »
As if fat people don't have it bad enough with health complications, having to buy double seats on planes, not being able to get laid...etc.  Now, they're going to be shitting themsleves...lol.  Life is just too cruel sometimes. :-\
w

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2007, 05:30:13 PM »
As if fat people don't have it bad enough with health complications, having to buy double seats on planes, not being able to get laid...etc.  Now, they're going to be shitting themsleves...lol.  Life is just too cruel sometimes. :-\

It's called self control, it's their own fault.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2007, 05:35:18 PM »
It's called self control, it's their own fault.

actually it's genetic, that's proven in twin studies

if they eat less they do lose weight just like we do, they just experience far worse hunger symptoms.  Recent article in the Times mentioned some very convincing stats from these studies.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 05:54:52 PM »
actually it's genetic, that's proven in twin studies

if they eat less they do lose weight just like we do, they just experience far worse hunger symptoms.  Recent article in the Times mentioned some very convincing stats from these studies.

Genetically yes, but probably for a small percentage of people.    Even 50 years ago there were far less obese people, as a percentage of the population.  How many of these obese people do any exercise at all?

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 05:58:22 PM »
Genetically yes, but probably for a small percentage of people.    Even 50 years ago there were far less obese people, as a percentage of the population.  How many of these obese people do any exercise at all?

let me find the study, it shocked me too

now let me make clear that im not gullible enough to believe these lardasses when they say that they don't eat much (meanwhile they mannage to weigh 400lbs)

everybody will be thin on an externally monitored diet low in calories.

It's just that they have mechanisms going that get them to eat more.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 06:02:31 PM »
let me find the study, it shocked me too

now let me make clear that im not gullible enough to believe these lardasses when they say that they don't eat much (meanwhile they mannage to weigh 400lbs)

everybody will be thin on an externally monitored diet low in calories.

It's just that they have mechanisms going that get them to eat more.

ok here's the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/08/health/08fat.html?ei=5070&en=36938c384324d7bd&ex=1181966400&pagewanted=print

here's an interesting part:

"He found the perfect tool for investigating the nature-nurture question — a Danish registry of adoptees developed to understand whether schizophrenia was inherited. It included meticulous medical records of every Danish adoption between 1927 and 1947, including the names of the adoptees’ biological parents, and the heights and weights of the adoptees, their biological parents and their adoptive parents.

Dr. Stunkard ended up with 540 adults whose average age was 40. They had been adopted when they were very young — 55 percent had been adopted in the first month of life and 90 percent were adopted in the first year of life. His conclusions, published in The New England Journal of Medicine in 1986, were unequivocal. The adoptees were as fat as their biological parents, and how fat they were had no relation to how fat their adoptive parents were.

The scientists summarized it in their paper: “The two major findings of this study were that there was a clear relation between the body-mass index of biologic parents and the weight class of adoptees, suggesting that genetic influences are important determinants of body fatness; and that there was no relation between the body-mass index of adoptive parents and the weight class of adoptees, suggesting that childhood family environment alone has little or no effect.”

In other words, being fat was an inherited condition. "

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2007, 06:03:58 PM »
from the same article

A few years later, in 1990, Dr. Stunkard published another study in The New England Journal of Medicine, using another classic method of geneticists: investigating twins. This time, he used the Swedish Twin Registry, studying its 93 pairs of identical twins who were reared apart, 154 pairs of identical twins who were reared together, 218 pairs of fraternal twins who were reared apart, and 208 pairs of fraternal twins who were reared together.

The identical twins had nearly identical body mass indexes, whether they had been reared apart or together. There was more variation in the body mass indexes of the fraternal twins, who, like any siblings, share some, but not all, genes.

The researchers concluded that 70 percent of the variation in peoples’ weights may be accounted for by inheritance, a figure that means that weight is more strongly inherited than nearly any other condition, including mental illness, breast cancer or heart disease.

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2007, 09:27:51 PM »
This all reminds me of the time I at an entire tin of "Fat Free" Pringles with Olestra, I'll never do that again.  It looked something like this:

SWTYGRL

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2007, 09:29:42 PM »
It causes "Anal Leakage"....that is foul.

The drug company states something to the effect that it may prevent people from eating things with fat in them because of the side effects...like Anabuse for fat people.

Do you skip the Krispy Kream because it makes you fat...or because it will make you poop your pants?

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2007, 10:00:38 PM »
It's not genetic; the way they figure out the inherited portion is b.s., twin studies included.  The amount of things they have figured to be somewhat inherited using the twin & adoption studies is ridiculous and often makes no sense.  To put it into perspective, some of the older calculations used a wrong formula and found that religion using this same dataset, had a higher heritability than race.  Some of the calculations of things that were obviously not hereditary (i.e. wearing sunglasses after dark) ended up having heritability proportions over 100%!  The way scientists are trying to find these genetic linkages for what are often subjective ideas is over the top now and is statistically very poor work. To model this heritability, you will need to model every aspect of enviroment that could be shared.  It's just not possible.  I'm surprised these are still published.

If anyone is interested in a very good debunking of just about every heredity study using the twin&adoption data sets, an entire issue of the journal Genetica vol.99 from 1997 really cuts these things to peices (and yet the current research continues to make the same mistakes and fallacies).  Several of the articles are actually easy reads.  One proposes that using the same methods that are typically used, a "toilet cleaning gene" can be found that has a higher heritability than intelligence using twin data.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2007, 10:12:03 PM »
It causes "Anal Leakage"....that is foul.

The drug company states something to the effect that it may prevent people from eating things with fat in them because of the side effects...like Anabuse for fat people.

Do you skip the Krispy Kream because it makes you fat...or because it will make you poop your pants?

Perfect Commercial

Hank: "Hey Charles you want a piece of cake, going to the lounge for a snack"

Charles: "Nah, remember last time I shit myslef, no can do" [Charles walks out with previous stained pants]

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2007, 11:33:06 PM »
It's not genetic; the way they figure out the inherited portion is b.s., twin studies included.  The amount of things they have figured to be somewhat inherited using the twin & adoption studies is ridiculous and often makes no sense.  To put it into perspective, some of the older calculations used a wrong formula and found that religion using this same dataset, had a higher heritability than race.  Some of the calculations of things that were obviously not hereditary (i.e. wearing sunglasses after dark) ended up having heritability proportions over 100%!  The way scientists are trying to find these genetic linkages for what are often subjective ideas is over the top now and is statistically very poor work. To model this heritability, you will need to model every aspect of enviroment that could be shared.  It's just not possible.  I'm surprised these are still published.

If anyone is interested in a very good debunking of just about every heredity study using the twin&adoption data sets, an entire issue of the journal Genetica vol.99 from 1997 really cuts these things to peices (and yet the current research continues to make the same mistakes and fallacies).  Several of the articles are actually easy reads.  One proposes that using the same methods that are typically used, a "toilet cleaning gene" can be found that has a higher heritability than intelligence using twin data.

well i'd be interested to read this...any chance you have a link?

I would rather believe that they are just lazy bums, but im trained to place faith in the trappings of the scientific method so until something better gets put right under my nose I will hold onto the belief provisionally. 

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 04:48:29 AM »
When you stop taking the drug does the weight immediately start coming back on?  What kind of person would want to spend $60 every month just to look a certain way?  The drug companies will make billions from this drug alone.

SteelePegasus

• Getbig V
  • Life, death, in between is getbig.com
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 05:05:17 AM »
Diet soda is great!

Caffine for energy, and no calories!  ;D

I am hooked on diet dr.pepper, I can drink that shit all day...and I do
Here comes the money shot

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2007, 06:31:22 AM »
Politically correct nonsense!

Being obese is not okay.

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2007, 09:52:29 AM »
well i'd be interested to read this...any chance you have a link?

I would rather believe that they are just lazy bums, but im trained to place faith in the trappings of the scientific method so until something better gets put right under my nose I will hold onto the belief provisionally. 

I don't really have a link that will give you full text articles unless you have some sort of journal access.  But here are some abstracts from the issue:
This is a general critique of the fallacies in the methodology.  It is the most useful of the articles I will mention.
Hereditarian scientific fallacies
Bailey RC
Abstract:  Some have recently declared that a hereditarian or more balanced approach has triumphed over environmentalism as an explanatory tool for variation in the cognitive ability and behaviour of humans. However, the entire debate is constrained by several fallacies described here. Heritability of a trait, does not predict the effect of environmental or genetic changes on the trait (Fallacy #1), so knowing heritability does not assist in writing prescriptions for societal ills or budget cuts. Heritability estimates themselves are inaccurate, given the potential for gene-environment covariance and interaction, as well as other non-additive effects on behavior or cognitive ability (Fallacy #2). The 'revolution in molecular genetics' has provided more effective tools for describing the genome, but doesn't permit separation of gene and environmental effects on traits (Fallacy #3). If we were able to measure heritability accurately, it would give us absolutely no indication of whether or not group differences are genetically based (Fallacy #4). Finally, any proposed models of the evolutionary divergence of human groups must more adequately answer the basic questions of such a study, and are not supported by high heritability in present populations (Fallacy #5). Humans are not and should never be exposed to artificial selection and crossing experiments, so behavior geneticists will continue to be very limited in their ability to partition the effects of genes, the environment, and their covariance and interaction on human behavior and cognitive ability.

From http://www2.psych.purdue.edu/~phs/Abstract81.html
Schonemann, Peter H.
Models and muddles of heritability
Genetica, 1997, 99, 97-108

Abstract

One reason for the astonishing persistence of the IQ myth in the face of overwhelming prior and posterior odds against it may be the unbroken chain of excessive heritability claims for 'intelligence', which IQ tests are supposed to 'measure'. However, if, as some critics insist, 'intelligence' is undefined, and Spearman's g is beset with numerous problems, not the least of which is universal rejection of Spearman's model by the data, then how can the heritability of 'intelligence' exceed that of milk production of cows and egg production of hens?

The thesis of the present review paper is that the answer to this riddle has two parts: (a) the technical basis of heritability claims for human behavior is just as shaky as that of Spearman's g. For example, a once widely used 'heritability estimate' turns out to be mathematically invalid, while another such estimate, though mathematically valid, never fits any data; and (b) valid technical criticisms of flawed heritability claims typically are met with stubborn editorial resistence in the main strream journals, which tends to calcify such misinformation.

Notes
Based on a talk entitled "Totems of  the IQ myth: General Ability g and its Heritabilites (h2, HR)", delivered at the 1995 Meetings of the American Association for the Advancement of Sciences. Among other things, it is shown that the conventional heritability estimates  often produce absurdly high values for variables that cannot possibly be genetic. For example, if one applies the traditional heritability arithmetic to the twin data collected by Loehlin and Nichols (1976), one finds that answers to the question "Did you take a bubble bath last year" are 90% genetic.  This should have alerted the experts long ago that something must be amiss. What is wrong, of course, is that their simplistic models rarely fit the data.

Heritability: uses and abuses
Oscar Kempthorne
Abstract:  This paper begins with a brief summary of the history of the development of ideas in the field of quantitative genetics. Next there is discussion of the controversy surrounding the contention that IQ tests validly estimate some highly heritable general intelligence factor. The validity of the reasoning supporting this contention is questioned. The theory of correlation between relatives has been of vast importance in plant and animal breeding because it is possible to design and carry out experiments to estimate variance components in expressions for covariances between relatives. However, data on humans is observational and individuals are not randomly assigned to environments, so that estimation of heritability from such data is not on the same firm foundation as it is in plant and animal breeding contexts.

Uses and misinterpretations of genetics in psychology
Steve Anderson Platt and Michael Bach
Department of Psychology, Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI 49855, USA
Abstract:  An analysis is made of the frequently posed question in psychology of relative contribution of genotypes and environments to phenotypic variation. The illogic of the question, the inappropriateness of the methodology, the inadequacy of the data, and the misleading implications of assertions of proportionality as seen through a sampling of introductory psychology textbooks and referenced publications are outlined. To ask the question of proportionality (of the relative contribution of genotypes and environments in human populations) requires the questioner to make two major erroneous assumptions. The first error is to grant validity to heritability estimates for humans. The second is to conceptualize the genotype as having a range of potential outcomes. An examination is made of these false assumptions.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2007, 09:57:11 AM »
I don't really have a link that will give you full text articles unless you have some sort of journal access.  But here are some abstracts from the issue:

great this will be perfect for my next bathroom break.

thanks

Mike

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2007, 11:31:14 AM »
When you stop taking the drug does the weight immediately start coming back on?  What kind of person would want to spend $60 every month just to look a certain way?  The drug companies will make billions from this drug alone.

The weight only immediately comes back if you eat the same way you did when you started, i.e., you're still the same person.  It's designed to help change your eating habits.

$60/month...are you joking?  Of course people will spend that, they spend way more on diet fads, personal training, plastic surgery, etc.