Author Topic: Yankee fans- anybody notice this hot streak coincided with Giambi going down?  (Read 2676 times)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
The House that Ruth built

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
While I agree that Giambi's absence has cause there to be more stability in the lineup, I think it's crazy to argue that missing a .400+ OBP guy who hits for power helps the team.  This is a just a case of small sample size.  Eventually, Miguel Cairo will cost you in big at bats.  If Damon was falling apart every other week, he wouldn't have to DH, and we would have a problem with Giambi in that role.

www.firejoemorgan.com has a great write up on this.
Y

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
While I agree that Giambi's absence has cause there to be more stability in the lineup, I think it's crazy to argue that missing a .400+ OBP guy who hits for power helps the team.  This is a just a case of small sample size.  Eventually, Miguel Cairo will cost you in big at bats.  If Damon was falling apart every other week, he wouldn't have to DH, and we would have a problem with Giambi in that role.

Giambi has a great OBP thats correct. Problem is he can't play his position worth a shit and he clogs the bases because he can't run. Two negatives that outweigh his OBP and his power. I like the lineup as it stands now. Melky covers more ground in center than Damon and can actually throw. Bernie Williams had a cannon compared to Damon. ;)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Miguel Cairo will cost you in big at bats. 

Mentcabbage was actually starting to hit a bit before Mike Lowell creamed him.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Giambi has a great OBP thats correct. Problem is he can't play his position worth a shit and he clogs the bases because he can't run. Two negatives that outweigh his OBP and his power. I like the lineup as it stands now. Melky covers more ground in center than Damon and can actually throw. Bernie Williams had a cannon compared to Damon. ;)

I agree about liking Melky in CF.  I'm annoyed about it though because we signed Damon to play that position and we're a stronger team with a healthy Giambi DH'ing and Damon in CF.

Giambi has about a .420 OBP and hits for power.  The clogging up the basepaths theory is bunk.  If someone is on base as much as he is, it creates far more runs even if he is slow.  It's been proven statisically many times. 
Y

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I agree about liking Melky in CF.  I'm annoyed about it though because we signed Damon to play that position and we're a stronger team with a healthy Giambi DH'ing and Damon in CF.

Giambi has about a .420 OBP and hits for power.  The clogging up the basepaths theory is bunk.  If someone is on base as much as he is, it creates far more runs even if he is slow.  It's been proven statisically many times. 

I disagree. I think the Yankees need Melky's speed more than Giambi's bat. As far as Damon goes, I was watching a game and he legged out an infield base hit. He flew down the line right out of the box. It was against the White Sox about two weeks ago. It surprized me.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
I disagree. I think the Yankees need Melky's speed more than Giambi's bat. As far as Damon goes, I was watching a game and he legged out an infield base hit. He flew down the line right out of the box. It was against the White Sox about two weeks ago. It surprized me.

It's a tough call for me, and it should even come down to having to replace Damon since we should have signed Beltran (damn George!).   Since Damon is apparently made of balsa wood, it's nice to see Melky out there, and I like having him on the basepaths.  The trouble I have is, that he gets on the basebaths about 25% less of the time as Giambi.  Over the course of a season, that's about 50-60 times less.  That's a ton of runs.

In this lineup, though, you might be right.  If it's clicking like it should, it should be able to compensate for a Melky type offensive player.    He's got a cannon arm too.  I saw him throw one on the fly to home from the warning track at fenway.  Insane.
Y

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Yankees pitching has the lowest ERA in june.....
L

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Yankees pitching has the lowest ERA in june.....

What?  I thought they were crap!  At least that's what I heard on EEI all spring training.

Seriously though, it's no coincidence that once everyone got healthy that the ERA would be good.  The Yankees have sent out a rookie starter in 42% of their games this year.  That's insane.

If their staff were healthy all year, they'd be right near the sox ready to really push them during this part of the schedule.

For fun, I just bet a sox fan some cash that not one of the sox top 4 (Schilling, Beckett, Matsusaka, or Wakefield) would post a sub-four ERA this year.
Y

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
What?  I thought they were crap!  At least that's what I heard on EEI all spring training.

Seriously though, it's no coincidence that once everyone got healthy that the ERA would be good.  The Yankees have sent out a rookie starter in 42% of their games this year.  That's insane.

If their staff were healthy all year, they'd be right near the sox ready to really push them during this part of the schedule.

For fun, I just bet a sox fan some cash that not one of the sox top 4 (Schilling, Beckett, Matsusaka, or Wakefield) would post a sub-four ERA this year.

Andy Pettite, Clemens, Wang, Mussina and hopefully Phil Hughes may be better than what the Sox can throw out there.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
No one is talking shit about A-Rod now..

Not the NY Post or fatass hotdog eating NY fans.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Andy Pettite, Clemens, Wang, Mussina and hopefully Phil Hughes may be better than what the Sox can throw out there.

That staff is amazing.  We've been lucky to win the last few Clippard games.
Y

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
No one is talking shit about A-Rod now..

Not the NY Post or fatass hotdog eating NY fans.

NY fans were embarassing with their ARod treatment.   F the Post as well.
Y

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
Now they head to the west coast.
I'll be asleep for most games :P

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
NY fans were embarassing with their ARod treatment.   F the Post as well.

Listening to the WFAN last year every dopey yankee fan said dump ARod. I felt we had to keep him regardless that he hadn't hit in the postseason. The guy was just an MVP for gods sake. His upside is just too high to give up on him. Good thing the Boss and Cashman and Torre know better. I hope ARod doesn't opt-out after this year Grape.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
No DH for these interleague games starting at Coors field. Damon is gonna have to play center.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Listening to the WFAN last year every dopey yankee fan said dump ARod. I felt we had to keep him regardless that he hadn't hit in the postseason. The guy was just an MVP for gods sake. His upside is just too high to give up on him. Good thing the Boss and Cashman and Torre know better. I hope ARod doesn't opt-out after this year Grape.

There are many idiot Yankee fans.  I don't mind him not hitting in the last two postseasons since almost everyone outside of Jeter and Giambi did the same.

The fan in me says that ARod has been made out to be a villian due to his first contract, and if he opts out of the richest contract in history to get even more money, it will become exponentially worse.  He also seems to go out of his way to say he wants to stay.  He will never get better protection throughout the years playing for any other team.  Plus, he's apartment hunting in NY again.  I think he'll stay.

The cynical side of me says it's all about money, and he can opt out and get another 150+ million dollar payday.  I hope it all works out.
Y