Author Topic: Why Tony Soprano wasn't whacked. Spoilers ahead.  (Read 1861 times)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
Why Tony Soprano wasn't whacked. Spoilers ahead.
« on: June 15, 2007, 08:50:02 PM »
So I saw some bs on yahoo suggesting that he was whacked.

1.  The Sopranos narrative was from the point of view of an omniscient narrator, NOT from tony's point of view.  Therefore, in the interest of narrative coherence, the screen would not fade to black if Tony got whacked.  We'd see it, unless we were in one of Tony's dreams. In which case, he wasn't whacked  ::)

1.a. I read somewhere that it was the audience who gets "whacked" . . . which actually makes more sense.

1.a.i  The whole "don't stop" thing works just as well for the audience.

2.  Everyone keeps talking about what Bobby Bacala said, which is just wishful thinking b/c Bobby hadn't even killed a man at that point.

2. a. When Bobby bought it, he certainly felt it, as he did not die instantly. 

3.  It is possible that the first shot was fatal, but see 1.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Why Tony Soprano wasn't whacked. Spoilers ahead.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 09:34:46 PM »
What are you trying to say?
:

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 09:42:48 PM »
that tony goes on . . . still grumbling about Livia to attractive female therapists and always on the lookout for the end, AJ's still a spoiled brat who tony and carmela dote on and who has inherited tony's rotten gene, carmela's still into her houses and disappointed w Meadow's not being a doctor, probably b/c it looks like Meadow's going to be Tom Hagen at the least . . . married to Patsy's son and all.  

It's the same cycle until the end . . . could be like Bacala, or it could be like Uncle Juior, having to be reminded that he ran north jersey.

sorry if it's incoherent, i'm on the phone as i type.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 09:56:54 PM »
that tony goes on . . . still grumbling about Livia to attractive female therapists and always on the lookout for the end, AJ's still a spoiled brat who tony and carmela dote on and who has inherited tony's rotten gene, carmela's still into her houses and disappointed w Meadow's not being a doctor, probably b/c it looks like Meadow's going to be Tom Hagen at the least . . . married to Patsy's son and all.   

It's the same cycle until the end . . . could be like Bacala, or it could be like Uncle Juior, having to be reminded that he ran north jersey.

sorry if it's incoherent, i'm on the phone as i type.

You've been reading the same theories I have and this is pretty much the one I've bought into too.
:

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 10:00:27 PM »

You've been reading the same theories I have and this is pretty much the one I've bought into too.

i don't go to messageboards other than getbig (my one vice), so I didn't know that there were other theories out there (I think i read the audience getting whacked one on here actually). . . I just saw an article on yahoo.com that said there was an online "consensus" that he got whacked.  should have known that yahoo was just stirring the pot.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2007, 12:43:53 PM »
regardless it was the worst way to end the show

E
E

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 08:14:53 AM »
regardless it was the worst way to end the show

E
I agree. I hate those "draw your own conclusion" endings.

PB

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 10:49:06 AM »
I agree. I hate those "draw your own conclusion" endings.

PB

exactly i hope david chase gets whacked

he spit in the face of all the people that made him rich

E
E

cl

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »
I am sure the movie is coming......... that why it was left open ended...... Tony the  "Godfather" .....