Author Topic: James Carville: Dems Will Win in '08  (Read 2008 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
James Carville: Dems Will Win in '08
« on: June 18, 2007, 11:09:25 AM »
I have a hard time envisioning President Hillary.   :-\

Sunday, June 17, 2007 6:47 p.m. EDT

Former Clinton political strategist James Carville says a Democrat will win the 2008 presidential race. He's just not sure which one.

James Carville, who worked for former President Clinton, spoke Saturday night at the Palm Beach County Democratic Party's Jefferson-Jackson fundraiser.

Carville said either Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton or Sen. Barack Obama will win the White House next year, and added that voter dissatisfaction with President Bush will allow Democrats to widen their majority in Congress.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/6/17/185002.shtml

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: James Carville: Dems Will Win in '08
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 11:54:10 AM »

Former Clinton political strategist James Carville says a Democrat will win the 2008 presidential race. He's just not sure which one.

James Carville, who worked for former President Clinton, spoke Saturday night at the Palm Beach County Democratic Party's Jefferson-Jackson fundraiser.

Carville said either Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton or Sen. Barack Obama will win the White House next year, and added that voter dissatisfaction with President Bush will allow Democrats to widen their majority in Congress.

Look at Carville going out on a limb.  What a disappointing man.

I think, and am hoping, that Edwards will be the democratic nominee.  I like his stand on the issues.  He's a smart guy with a plan.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:59:57 AM »
Look at Carville going out on a limb.  What a disappointing man.

I think, and am hoping, that Edwards will be the democratic nominee.  I like his stand on the issues.  He's a smart guy with a plan.

I liked Edwards till he started talking about taxes.  He would be the Democrats best option in the general.  Hillary will pretty much guarantee another Republican president:

Sunday, June 17, 2007 6:32 p.m. EDT
Poll: Voters Don't Want Hillary

Frederick Cole wants the Democratic Party to take back the White House in 2008. "Look what a mess we're in," said Cole, a nurse in Louisville, Ky. "It's time for some fresh, new-thinker ideas."

Yet if his party nominates Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York for president, the 52-year-old Democrat plans to vote for her Republican opponent.

"It's a personal thing," Cole said. "I don't like her. I think she's condescending and arrogant, even worse than Al Gore, who has no personality."

It is a paradox of the 2008 presidential race. By a wide margin, several polls show, voters want a Democrat to win — yet when offered head-to-head contests of leading announced candidates, many switch allegiance to the Republican.

In a Los Angeles Times/Bloomberg poll conducted this month, this dynamic was most clearly evident with Clinton.

When registered voters were asked which party they would like to win the White House, they preferred a Democrat over a Republican by 8 percentage points. But in a race pitting Clinton against former New York Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani, the Republican was favored by 10 percentage points.

Clinton's showing against Giuliani was the starkest example of how the general Democratic edge sometimes narrows or vanishes when voters are given specific candidates to choose between.

The poll also showed Clinton trailing when matched against two other Republicans, Sen. John McCain of Arizona and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. The deficits, however, were within the survey's margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

These results, as well as follow-up interviews of poll respondents, reflect the array of difficulties that Clinton could face as the Democratic nominee.

Plenty of time remains for Clinton to temper resistance to her candidacy. But for now, her failure to match her party's generic advantage underscores the primacy of personal appeal in a presidential race, regardless of political context.
"You give someone a name, and they automatically associate it with a specific set of pros and cons," said Dean Spiliotes, a political science professor at St. Anselm College in New Hampshire. "With a candidate as well-known as Hillary Clinton, that's going to cause some problems."

Conversations with a dozen Times/Bloomberg poll respondents, including Cole, exposed a number of those problems, above all a sour aftertaste from controversies of her White House years with President Clinton.

"I just don't feel like she has the integrity to do the right thing," said retired service-station owner Richard James, 62, a Democrat who lives in Herriman, Utah.

James wants a Democrat to win in 2008; he sees President Bush's tenure as a "shipwreck" marked by cronyism and a botched war. Yet he would vote for Giuliani over Clinton.

"He's got some honesty to him," James said.

To Carol Bendick, 63, a Democrat who lives in Danville, Ill., Bush is too cozy with the oil industry, and she, too, wants a Democrat to succeed him. But she would support Giuliani over Clinton.

"Who wants four or eight more years of the Clintons' marital disputes, paid for by the United States, we the people? I certainly don't," said Bendick, a teacher on disability.

Several men who prefer a Democrat for president, but not Clinton, said they were simply unwilling to support a woman.

Kevin Kidd, 45, a Democrat who owns a bar in Farwell, Mich., said a female president would make the United States "look a little wimpier."

"Some countries have woman presidents, and I just think it makes them look weak," he added.

Mark Penn, Clinton's chief campaign strategist, said his reading of the electorate is that few voters hold such views. A more important aspect of the race, he said, is Clinton's strong support from women inspired by the hope of electing the nation's first female president.

Penn also noted the wide fluctuation of early surveys on general-election matchups, with some, such as a Wall Street Journal/NBC poll last week, showing Clinton ahead of Giuliani.

"It's all extremely competitive," he said.

Still, the Gallup Poll has found Giuliani leading Clinton by an average of 5 percentage points in three surveys this year. Women favored Clinton over Giuliani by 6 points, but that was offset by her lackluster support among men.

Part of Clinton's challenge is that most voters have long held firm opinions about her, negative or positive, which could be tough to change. Republican strategists think her detractors' entrenched views will be a major problem for her if she wins the nomination.

"It's almost like Hillary Clinton's image has gotten burned into your screen," said Whit Ayres, a Republican pollster.

Some polls also have found that in matchups with Giuliani and McCain, Clinton's top Democratic rivals — Sen. Barack Obama of Illinois and former Sen. John Edwards of North Carolina — would fall short of the general backing for their party.

Retired Pennsylvania truck inspector Earl Geer, 55, an independent, is disgusted with the Bush administration and hopes a Democrat will capture the White House. But he would pick a Republican over Edwards.

"I just think he's a slick character," Geer said.

Tom Devlin, 70, a retired steel-mill worker in Wellsville, Ohio, faults Bush for factory shutdowns and job losses in the Rust Belt, and he would rather have a Democrat as president. But he would choose McCain over Obama.

"McCain has a lot more experience, and I just think he would do a better job," Devlin said.

In the Times/Bloomberg poll, Edwards trailed McCain by 5 percentage points, but was ahead of Giuliani by 3 and Romney by 14. Obama was ahead in all the matchups: by 5 percentage points over Giuliani, 12 over McCain and 16 over Romney.

Republican Fred Thompson was not included in the matchups, because he has not declared his candidacy. (He is expected to do so soon.)

Some political veterans argue that polling on general-election matchups can be highly misleading when so much of the campaign lies ahead.

"It says nothing about an election 17 months from now," said Mark Mellman, a Democratic pollster. "But it does say something about now."

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2007/6/17/183326.shtml

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 12:06:28 PM »
I still think Al Gore is the most qualified man to be president, but he's not running.

I don't think Mrs. Clinton would make a bad president--the way Pres. Bush is a bad president--though.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 12:09:22 PM »
I still think Al Gore is the most qualified man to be president, but he's not running.

I don't think Mrs. Clinton would make a bad president--the way Pres. Bush is a bad president--though.

Gore??  [gag]   :)  I think Colin Powell is the most qualified man to president. 

Hillary would be awful.  She's a cold fish.  Could you imagine her having the bully pulpit for four years??  At least we can make fun of Bush.  Hillary would bore us to tears. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 12:19:21 PM »
Gore??  [gag]   :)  I think Colin Powell is the most qualified man to president. 

Hillary would be awful.  She's a cold fish.  Could you imagine her having the bully pulpit for four years??  At least we can make fun of Bush.  Hillary would bore us to tears. 
Gore was VP for eight years.

I think Powell disqualified himself with his WMD performance at the UN.  He sold his credibility to be a team player.  Besides that, generals make lousy presidents.

I hate to be humorless, but Bush is getting sandbagged b/c of his actions as president.  Clinton has been a pretty good senator so far. 

The personal smears by the 'liberal media' like "calculating, do and say anything to get what she wants, cold fish, thuggish,...etc. are residual garbage from the 1990s when the 'liberal media' eviscerated anything tied to her husband.

She was hot when she was younger.  That helps.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 12:29:46 PM »

I think Powell disqualified himself with his WMD performance at the UN.  He sold his credibility to be a team player.  Besides that, generals make lousy presidents.

I hate to be humorless, but Bush is getting sandbagged b/c of his actions as president.  Clinton has been a pretty good senator so far. 

The personal smears by the 'liberal media' like "calculating, do and say anything to get what she wants, cold fish, thuggish,...etc. are residual garbage from the 1990s when the 'liberal media' eviscerated anything tied to her husband.

She was hot when she was younger.  That helps.

Gore lost his home state.  That about sums him up.   

I have no problem with Powell.  Great American.  Extremely bright.  I'd vote for him over every candidate in the current race. 

I'm not basing my opinion of Hillary on the "liberal media."  I think she's a cold fish based on my observation of her since Bill first ran for president. 

Did you watch the last Democrat debate?  From a personal appeal standpoint, she was simply awful.  She sort of reminds me of Bob Dole.

I also don't like how she demeaned the traditional family back when Bill was first running.  But maybe she has grown since then.   

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 12:44:18 PM »
Gore lost his home state.  That about sums him up.   

I have no problem with Powell.  Great American.  Extremely bright.  I'd vote for him over every candidate in the current race. 

I'm not basing my opinion of Hillary on the "liberal media."  I think she's a cold fish based on my observation of her since Bill first ran for president. 

Did you watch the last Democrat debate?  From a personal appeal standpoint, she was simply awful.  She sort of reminds me of Bob Dole.

I also don't like how she demeaned the traditional family back when Bill was first running.  But maybe she has grown since then.   
Gore was away from Tenn. for over 8 years becoming and being the US VP.  Of course he'd experience some distance from his home state.  Mix into the equation the poisoning of the american mind re all things Clinton and Clinton related and it's not difficult to see him lose his own state by some 80,000 votes.

He is vastly superior in experience and knowledge than the career military man Powell.  But neither is running so to hell with everything.

As for personal appeal and the race for presidency....

Didn't you learn a thing from 2000 and 2004?

The 'liberal media' portrayed Bush as a guy with appeal...you know, a guy you could have a beer with...

Now we are stuck with one of the worst administrations in history.

Don't use appeal as a presidential barometer.  Please.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 01:11:04 PM »
Gore was away from Tenn. for over 8 years becoming and being the US VP.  Of course he'd experience some distance from his home state.  Mix into the equation the poisoning of the american mind re all things Clinton and Clinton related and it's not difficult to see him lose his own state by some 80,000 votes.

He is vastly superior in experience and knowledge than the career military man Powell.  But neither is running so to hell with everything.

As for personal appeal and the race for presidency....

Didn't you learn a thing from 2000 and 2004?

The 'liberal media' portrayed Bush as a guy with appeal...you know, a guy you could have a beer with...

Now we are stuck with one of the worst administrations in history.

Don't use appeal as a presidential barometer.  Please.

Appeal has to be part of the analysis.  The president has to look and sound good.  Why do you think ugly people don't fare well in presidential races?   :)  Seriously though, how the president delivers a messages is very important.  That's one of the president's primary jobs.  I never thought Bush would be a great communicator and that's not why I voted for him.  Hillary's terrible appeal would be a reason not to vote for her (not the only reason). 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 05:49:38 PM »

What has the Democrats been able to do with their majority in the House and the Senate?

Jack and Shit.

If they had the political balls, they would cut the fundings of the troops and force a retreat, and be prepared to walk the political walk.

Politics is about guts, IMO.

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 06:47:05 AM »
What has the Democrats been able to do with their majority in the House and the Senate?

Jack and Shit.

If they had the political balls, they would cut the fundings of the troops and force a retreat, and be prepared to walk the political walk.

Politics is about guts, IMO.

-Hedge
Yes, having stones is important in politics.  But you are mistaken about the democrats.

Bush Vetoes Troop Withdrawal Bill http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8ORS7LO0&show_article=1

The democrats did everything they could to bring the troops home. 

The democrats do not have a veto-proof majority.  So you can't accuse them of being gutless.

That is just not the case.  The votes aren't there to over-ride a presidential veto.

If you want to see unwavering spinelessness, just look at the republicans.  Many don't support Bush with the war but they hold their allegiance to the republican party instead of the country...instead of with what is right.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 09:48:24 AM »
Appeal has to be part of the analysis.  The president has to look and sound good.  Why do you think ugly people don't fare well in presidential races?   :)  Seriously though, how the president delivers a messages is very important.  That's one of the president's primary jobs.  I never thought Bush would be a great communicator and that's not why I voted for him.  Hillary's terrible appeal would be a reason not to vote for her (not the only reason). 
Again, why did you vote for Bush instead of Gore?

I think Senator Clinton is a really good speaker.  She conveys her point well.  I'm not sure about the syle points, but the substance is consistent and of a high quality.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 09:55:23 AM »

I think Powell disqualified himself with his WMD performance at the UN.  He sold his credibility

BINGO!!!
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 10:09:41 AM »
Yes, having stones is important in politics.  But you are mistaken about the democrats.

Bush Vetoes Troop Withdrawal Bill http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8ORS7LO0&show_article=1

The democrats did everything they could to bring the troops home. 

The democrats do not have a veto-proof majority.  So you can't accuse them of being gutless.

That is just not the case.  The votes aren't there to over-ride a presidential veto.

If you want to see unwavering spinelessness, just look at the republicans.  Many don't support Bush with the war but they hold their allegiance to the republican party instead of the country...instead of with what is right.

Off-topic: I gotta say, I really enjoy your posts here.

You know your shit, and even though we may not agree on issues, I will always respect knowledge. 8)

-Hedge
As empty as paradise

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 10:29:51 AM »
Off-topic: I gotta say, I really enjoy your posts here.

You know your shit, and even though we may not agree on issues, I will always respect knowledge. 8)

-Hedge
Thanks.  I find your views well thought-out and worth contemplating.

I think that in the US, the media are anything but liberal in effort and effect.  For many reasons--corporate ownership of the media, an insulated elitest Washington press corp, a vast right wing smear machine/conspiracy, stacking the national pundit deck w/ right wingers of all stripes, etc.--we have a media that portray Sen. Clinton as cold, calculating and Machiavellian. 

Meanwhile, Sen. McCain is portrayed incessantly as a straight shooter practised in the art of straight talk when in reality he's as big a bullshitter as any politician that's come down the pike.  Likewise Guiliani has a very checkered background as a politician and some of his decisions re emergency services prior to 9/11 made the attacks of 9/11 much more difficult to deal with, yet he is always described as "America's Mayor" in the media!

The democrats have an uphill battle in '08 and the above observations are not chance occurrences or a hazy reflection of reality.

They are something else.

I bring all this up only b/c the popular sentiment at the moment is that the Democrats are sitting on their hands doing nothing re Iraq.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 02:43:38 PM »
Appeal has to be part of the analysis.  The president has to look and sound good.  Why do you think ugly people don't fare well in presidential races?   :) 
Man, I was in the middle of drinking my water when I read this.  haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa a

made me almost choke on my drink from laughter.  ya know, there is some truth to this.
 :) :D ;D