Author Topic: Is it possible to isolate the glute muscles?  (Read 12157 times)

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
Re: Is it possible to isolate the glute muscles?
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2007, 10:37:21 AM »
I am sorry; but I do not know how to perform hack squats. How do you perform backward hack squats?

Thanks,
Mimi6

There seem to be different names for this exercise, but I always call them backward hacks.  Not all hacksquat machines are built to allow this variation on the movement, but basically rather than getting on it facing out from the machine, you position yourself so that you face the pad.  It's usually best to have someone knowledgeable help you out the first time or two so as to make sure you're positioned well, and also guys will definitely stop and watch this exercise being performed  :-\  However, it really isolates the glutes, hams, and is a nice change from squats, stiff deads, etc... but as you can see, Rip had some great suggestions, so all total, there are a lot of effective exercises that you can rotate to keep from getting bored. 

Mimi6

• Getbig II
  • "I want 2 B Curvy"
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2007, 10:47:40 AM »
I would be happy to provide some more specific information about my glute/leg training when I have some time in the next couple of weeks, once I get settled into a normal routine again following my competition last week.   I am still out of town (for work this week) and haven't even unpacked yet, let alone caught up with everything.   :P

For starters, though, there are THREE exercises that are ESSENTIAL for glute training and should be incorporated into every woman's leg workout IMO.  These are the three must-do's, the critical ones that will shape the glutes and hams...

1.  Free squats.  Not Smith Squats.  Just you and the barbell with whatever weight you can stand on there.  Good squats, nice and deep.  There are several variations that can be applied.

2.  Walking Lunges.   Not standing in one place.  Put the barbell on your shoulders and lunge up and down the gym.  Take the barbell outside and lunge down the street.

3.  Straight leg deadlifts.  Isolate the glutes and hams.  Don't bend down so far that you engage the lower back more than the ass.

If you only have time to do three exercises for your legs/glutes, make these the three you do.  They are better than anything else.

Also try to do as much of your cardio as possible on a stair climber.

:)

Thanks, I will incorporate these into my regimen. If you have any other tips and suggestions, please keep them coming.

Thanks,
Mimi6

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2007, 11:02:41 AM »
Thanks, I will incorporate these into my regimen. If you have any other tips and suggestions, please keep them coming.

Thanks,
Mimi6

Mimi, be sure to keep an eye on the Female Bodybuilding Board.  Ripitupbaby was recently made a mod there (congrats Rip :) ) and she plans to post some workouts/advice etc.
R

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2007, 11:07:11 AM »
Cardio,Cardio,Cardio..Run the motor...

Mimi6

• Getbig II
  • "I want 2 B Curvy"
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2007, 11:10:28 AM »
Mimi, be sure to keep an eye on the Female Bodybuilding Board.  Ripitupbaby was recently made a mod there (congrats Rip :) ) and she plans to post some workouts/advice etc.

Thanks, I will do that.

Mimi6

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2007, 11:12:28 AM »

Thanks,
Mimi6

Sure, no problem!

I am modding the women's BB board now, and I do have intentions of starting a glute/leg training thread as soon as I have time to catch up on everything from last week and type out some more detailed information.  So check back on that board over the next few days...I will try to get something started with more details, and we can go from there.

Re. hack squats and reverse hacks....these are done on a hack squat machine.  It's the one that is like an angled sled that you stand in, lean your back against a pad, and have pads/weights resting on your shoulders.  You then slide up and down in a squatting motion with the pad against your back.   Ask someone at your gym if they have a hack squat machine.  This is a great exercise, but it can be tough on the knees IMO, and it does work the quads too....so go very light at first with the weight until you are comfortable with the motion.  Doing it reverse is an advanced exercise and can be difficult to keep balance, etc. so master it forwards first.

Glute-ham drops are SUPER HARDCORE...probably one of the hardest exercises ever to master, and props to any woman who can do them with ease!!  You can set up a bench and do them using the knee pads on the lat pulldown machine if you have the balls to do so...I'm pretty sure I don't though!  I am always afraid that I will fail and smash my face on the ground.   :D
I would not recommend GHD's for a beginner or even intermediate lifter.  Layne Norton posted a video of him doing these on Youtube...you may want to search his name and look for his clip of the GHD's.  He sets it up with the bench and the lat pulldown machine like I described...it's INSANE!   :o

Reverse hyperextensions are good too, although I don't like to use much weight when I do them, and I still feel like they work alot of lower back, even when I squeeze my glutes.

Many options, many variations.  
I recommend the three exercises I listed earlier in this thread in terms of the must-do fundamentals, and then add one or two different exercises to each workout to keep things interesting.

I'll try to lay out a few sample workouts for you in the thread I start in the women's BB section.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2007, 11:19:44 AM »

I'll try to lay out a few sample workouts for you in the thread I start in the women's BB section.

I've got some questions I'll save for that thread :)
R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2007, 11:23:11 AM »
I've got some questions I'll save for that thread :)

Yes, like what is a Glute-ham drop?

edit: I am going to look for that video

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2007, 11:26:45 AM »

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2007, 11:41:10 AM »
yeah, I will get right on these  ::)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3419848615516816460&q=ham+raise

HAhahahaa  I told you they were super hardcore!!   That video blows me away every time I see it!  And he does them with weights in his hands!!    :o

Like I said, it's a very advanced exercise... I am actually too scared that I will smash my teeth out, so I don't do them.  But damn, they are impressive, and they will work the shit out of your glutes and hams like you wouldn't believe!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2007, 12:11:20 PM »

We've done these but used a ball to "bounce" off of when we were parallel to the floor.  We haven't done them since our hardcore trainer left though ;D

I have NEVER seen anyone do them w/o the ball for assistance and safety and NEVER seen anyone use any weight w/them at all. :o
R

Mimi6

• Getbig II
  • "I want 2 B Curvy"
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2007, 01:11:24 PM »

Sure, no problem!

I am modding the women's BB board now, and I do have intentions of starting a glute/leg training thread as soon as I have time to catch up on everything from last week and type out some more detailed information.  So check back on that board over the next few days...I will try to get something started with more details, and we can go from there.

Re. hack squats and reverse hacks....these are done on a hack squat machine.  It's the one that is like an angled sled that you stand in, lean your back against a pad, and have pads/weights resting on your shoulders.  You then slide up and down in a squatting motion with the pad against your back.   Ask someone at your gym if they have a hack squat machine.  This is a great exercise, but it can be tough on the knees IMO, and it does work the quads too....so go very light at first with the weight until you are comfortable with the motion.  Doing it reverse is an advanced exercise and can be difficult to keep balance, etc. so master it forwards first.

Glute-ham drops are SUPER HARDCORE...probably one of the hardest exercises ever to master, and props to any woman who can do them with ease!!  You can set up a bench and do them using the knee pads on the lat pulldown machine if you have the balls to do so...I'm pretty sure I don't though!  I am always afraid that I will fail and smash my face on the ground.   :D
I would not recommend GHD's for a beginner or even intermediate lifter.  Layne Norton posted a video of him doing these on Youtube...you may want to search his name and look for his clip of the GHD's.  He sets it up with the bench and the lat pulldown machine like I described...it's INSANE!   :o

Reverse hyperextensions are good too, although I don't like to use much weight when I do them, and I still feel like they work alot of lower back, even when I squeeze my glutes.

Many options, many variations.  
I recommend the three exercises I listed earlier in this thread in terms of the must-do fundamentals, and then add one or two different exercises to each workout to keep things interesting.

I plan to look at the video clip, and thanks for the advice; it really helps.

Mimi6

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2007, 02:36:58 PM »

:o

Holy Cow!!! I got a charley horse just watching that. I don't think you could pay me to do those.
w

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2007, 04:00:52 PM »
Hey it wouldnt matter if they paid me ;D

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2007, 02:21:03 AM »
This may sound negative, but it is the truth. A level of acceptance is also key. It's all good to strive for more, but one's genetic structure is somewhat set. If you have a majorly "flat ass" you will never actually huge rounded glutes per se. If you have a very large rounded butt, you will never actually take it down to a flat one [if anyone wants to do that]. Sorry, but I just say this as where I am from a bubble butt is considered ideal and I have women with totally flat asses rolling into my gym aspiring for a J-LO butt, and realistically it won't happen. But training hard and making the butt look as good as it can, for your particular structure, and being happy with the results is key. IMO, no matter what your structure..petite, thin, tall, short whatever...if you get your body into great shape it will look good.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #65 on: June 27, 2007, 12:25:57 PM »

That is some incredible strength.  He performs them so smoothly.  I've tried doing the same thing, but I found it hard on the knees  :-\  Maybe I need more padding  :P

I've been trying to get the owner of the gym to get one of these for years :-\
:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #66 on: June 27, 2007, 12:29:41 PM »
I think we might have something like that? Usually people are using it for lower back?  maybe ours is not adjustable like that is?

I can hope it isn't!! Then I can have an excuse not to try them!! 
    ;D

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #67 on: June 27, 2007, 12:45:09 PM »
Our bench is a little different but that's the one.  If you move the foot plates way forward and you bring your knees up a little on top of the padding, you'll add more difficulty.  Then you can elevate the rear of the bench on a step for even greater difficulty.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2007, 02:02:43 AM »
Our bench is a little different but that's the one.  If you move the foot plates way forward and you bring your knees up a little on top of the padding, you'll add more difficulty.  Then you can elevate the rear of the bench on a step for even greater difficulty.

Shush Woman!!!  >:(
w

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2007, 07:29:40 AM »

That is some incredible strength.  He performs them so smoothly.  I've tried doing the same thing, but I found it hard on the knees  :-\  Maybe I need more padding  :P

I've been trying to get the owner of the gym to get one of these for years :-\

I think we might have something like that? Usually people are using it for lower back?  maybe ours is not adjustable like that is?

I can hope it isn't!! Then I can have an excuse not to try them!! 
    ;D

I wish we had one of these at our gym!!  The one we have is for lower back/hamstring hyper-extentions but not adjustable for the G-H drops.

You can start by working on this exercise right on the floor if you have someone to help you.  Just lay on the floor on your stomach and have someone hold your feet like you would if you were doing sit-ups. 
It's a good way to start because you don't have far to go if you fail and crash, and you are less likely to smash your teeth out if your face hits the floor...been there, done that.    :D

BTW, please check out the Glute/Lower Body Training Thread I started on the Women's BB Board...and feel free to post any additional questions, recommendations, or training advice in that thread as well. 

trab

• Getbig V

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2007, 10:31:49 AM »
I wish we had one of these at our gym!! 

:o   :o   :o   :o   :o

This board is full of lunatics!
w

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2007, 10:34:15 AM »
:o   :o   :o   :o   :o

This board is full of lunatics!

You just noticed? ::)

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2007, 01:33:32 PM »
You just noticed? ::)

And you're one of the biggest lunatics of them all!!!  >:(

How dare you post that link? Now, we all know where to buy one of those infernal machines!

You've taken away all our excuses. Shame on you!  >:(   >:(

Where's Deedee's paddle? Someone needs to turn your bottom bright red!  >:(  >:(  >:( 
w

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2007, 01:38:53 PM »
mY WIFE pinches it REAL hard often.