Author Topic: Gyms - Old-Skool & Hardcore & Historical  (Read 258624 times)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Gyms - Old-Skool & Hardcore & Historical
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2015, 04:46:07 PM »
get yourself a tetanus shot and come on in.... ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::)

That may predate Temple Gym.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #226 on: February 10, 2015, 09:50:45 AM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #227 on: February 24, 2015, 10:48:07 AM »
 :o
F

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2015, 08:49:02 PM »
Meeko was always in Hoffmanns mag. Was it called something diff before muscular dev?  I had a ton of them. He would guest pose at mr Lehigh valley right?

Anyway what the name of the guy to the left of Meeko. Had huge calves. A preacher if I remenber. Split with his wife I think after hitting the mags. Da.... Maybe an L in his last name? 

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2015, 08:51:01 PM »
Looks kinda like podda over meekos shoulder

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #230 on: October 16, 2015, 07:17:49 AM »
Meeko was always in Hoffmanns mag. Was it called something diff before muscular dev?  I had a ton of them. He would guest pose at mr Lehigh valley right?

Anyway what the name of the guy to the left of Meeko. Had huge calves. A preacher if I remenber. Split with his wife I think after hitting the mags. Da.... Maybe an L in his last name? 
pic is from the only npc contest meeko ever competed in placed 10 th in hwt class. bob chicerrillo and matt mendenhall also in pic....muscular development was always called muscular development , it was an outgrowth of strength and health mag and survived it to this day... much like flex was an outgrowth or spinoff of muscle and fitness when it was becoming to mainstream....
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #231 on: October 16, 2015, 07:21:16 AM »
here are some of his covers... joe lived in the lehigh valley and actually won the teen mr lv before moving up...actually met him and seen him train in various gyms in the lehigh valley...
F

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: October 16, 2015, 11:45:04 AM »

james demelo

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2015, 06:03:48 AM »
F

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #234 on: October 17, 2015, 12:16:26 PM »
Yeah that's him. I had all those old iron man n md mags before I burned them years ago in a state of stupidity. Had that old Meeko md mag. I remember the cover. Loved the old crapoy local black n white photos in that Mag. Much different feel than the polished m n f back then. Pix of Meeko traing in what looked like a high school gym. Can u scan a couple of those for memory lane? I remember him on a hack squat I think.

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #235 on: October 17, 2015, 12:18:22 PM »
This thread can't be complete without this place.

http://www.brickyardgym.net/Home.html

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #236 on: October 17, 2015, 12:21:06 PM »
BYG

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2015, 12:44:02 PM »
Yeah that's him. I had all those old iron man n md mags before I burned them years ago in a state of stupidity. Had that old Meeko md mag. I remember the cover. Loved the old crapoy local black n white photos in that Mag. Much different feel than the polished m n f back then. Pix of Meeko traing in what looked like a high school gym. Can u scan a couple of those for memory lane? I remember him on a hack squat I think.

all the AAU guys had a different look in the 80's.  a saturation of muscle that was different from the NPC/IFBB, platz was the only ifbb guy that had the look.   Meeko, Jeff King and I remember a few others in those mags that had this 'look'

Slik

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #238 on: October 18, 2015, 08:30:15 PM »
all the AAU guys had a different look in the 80's.  a saturation of muscle that was different from the NPC/IFBB, platz was the only ifbb guy that had the look.   Meeko, Jeff King and I remember a few others in those mags that had this 'look'
vic terra too

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »
vic terra too

Denie, the MTI equivalent to Rick Wayne, wrote some amazing articles.  one he talked about how some bodybuilders could saturate their muscle with so much water that the electric impulse couldn't travel through to cause the muscle to contract. he said that huge guys could be ripped and yet not able to keep their pecs flexed in a most muscular pose ??  there weren't many videos back then to corroborate, but when I watched a vid of the lou ferrigno comeback I saw that was the case with him

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #240 on: October 21, 2015, 10:23:17 AM »
the whole year after someone won the aau mr america they were featured  in strength and health and muscular developement in a series called mr america series.... they would put an article in the mag about training or such..
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #241 on: November 12, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »
 ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #242 on: November 12, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »
4 gyms and 2 karate places in a 4 block radius a little much for a town of 4500 or so.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #243 on: November 13, 2015, 11:07:46 AM »
world's gym 1976... :D
F

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: November 13, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »
world's gym 1976... :D

was that Joe Gold's first World Gym?  I woulda thought it was a couple years later. ???

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #245 on: November 13, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »
was that Joe Gold's first World Gym?  I woulda thought it was a couple years later. ???
not sure ric drasin identified it as such, i guess the one with the rooftop gym was next up after he moved...from this one
F

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #246 on: November 13, 2015, 01:13:26 PM »
not sure ric drasin identified it as such, i guess the one with the rooftop gym was next up after he moved...from this one

I would be interested in learning that time-line.   did he still own the original during the Pumping Iron filming?  and it was said he sold it to go back into fishing.  then realized he missed the gym bus so started worlds.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #247 on: November 14, 2015, 07:21:13 AM »
I would be interested in learning that time-line.   did he still own the original during the Pumping Iron filming?  and it was said he sold it to go back into fishing.  then realized he missed the gym bus so started worlds.
here's few pics one from world's 2 nd location, and an original bench he made for original gold's gym
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #248 on: November 14, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »
gold's timeline= joe gold 1922-2004..joe gold got into making gym equipment with his brother robert in their teens.he opened the first gold gym in 1965 sold it in 1970... came back and opened world's gym in 1977. pumping iron chronicled the 75 universe and olympia was released in 77...gold's real name was goldglejt shortened to gold...ken spraque tells a lot of stories about the time period when he bought gold's and joe gold return...
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #249 on: November 14, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »
joe was in the mae west troupe..
F