Author Topic: Isaiah Washington's firing a business decision  (Read 6949 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Isaiah Washington's firing a business decision
« on: June 19, 2007, 06:20:19 PM »
Isaiah Washington's firing a business decision
‘Pattern of behavior’ was too big a risk for Disney, ABC to take

LOS ANGELES - Starring on one of TV’s hottest series is an actor’s dream, and Isaiah Washington fought hard to keep his role as Dr. Preston Burke on “Grey’s Anatomy.”

But after twice using an anti-gay slur, Washington was doomed to lose the biggest role of his career because of timing, a track record of volatile behavior and pressure within the industry.

While series creator and executive producer Shonda Rhimes wept when she got on the phone last Thursday to tell Washington he was out, the decision was a coolly calculated move by Rhimes’ bosses at the network and ABC Television Studios.

His “pattern of behavior” represented a potential liability that was too much risk for the Walt Disney Co.-owned companies, a source close to the production said. The source was not authorized to comment publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.

The operation to remove Washington, 43, was quick and neat. The studio declined to exercise his contract option for another season — Washington would have earned about $2.7 million in salary — and he was dumped shortly after the May finale.

With Dr. Burke conveniently written out of the show in the last episode, the move had to have been planned for some time.

The decision was made by executives including ABC Studios President Mark Pedowitz, ABC Entertainment President Stephen McPherson and Disney-ABC Television Group President Anne Sweeney. ABC and the studio declined comment this week, but Washington said he was “saddened” by the outcome.

“I can only apologize so many times. I can only accept so much responsibility,” he told EW.com in an interview published Wednesday. “... Isaiah will go on and do what I love to do. And I have to go about the business of letting people know what’s written about me is not the truth.”

Gay rights leader Neil G. Giuliano said Washington was caught up in changing attitudes toward anti-gay vitriol — the same backlash felt by Ann Coulter after she derided John Edwards with the same f-word Washington employed.

“All of this is crescendoing, with people saying, ‘Enough is enough,”’ said Giuliano, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.

One activist blames ‘gay Mafia’  ;D
Hollywood’s image as an unbiased haven for gays is overstated, Giuliano said. But he did field outraged calls from producers, writers and actors — both gay and straight — after Washington’s remarks. Giuliano said he told the callers to make waves at the networks, and “I have good reason to believe most of those folks, who are not shy, made their feelings known.”

One black gay activist sees the lobbying far differently. Jasmyne Cannick, a friend of Washington’s, said the case reflected a division between Hollywood’s powerful white gays and lesbians and those who are minorities.

“The ones calling for (Washington’s) head are what I refer to as the gay Mafia,” Cannick said.

There may have been more behind the decision than intolerant language. Bryan Birge, who was working as a costumer in 1997 on the police drama “High Incident,” said Washington erupted in anger on the set and then grabbed him after Birge asked him to remove a magazine from his pocket for an upcoming scene.

“It was bizarre,” Birge told The Associated Press. “The guy is less than easy to be around.” Washington, a Houston native who served in the Air Force, had campaigned vigorously to redeem his image. He apologized publicly, to his colleagues and to GLAAD. He filmed a public service announcement for GLAAD and the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network. He made a publicly announced donation to a favorite cause, help for the African nation of Sierra Leone.

“We did everything that was asked of us” by ABC, said his publicist, Howard Bragman.

Denied slur, then used it again
Washington was undone by a spat last October with co-star Patrick Dempsey in which he used the epithet to refer to fellow cast member T.R. Knight. Washington issued a public apology for his behavior and “unfortunate” use of words, and media attention waned.

But in January, Washington reignited the furor during a backstage interview at the Golden Globes in which he denied having used the slur, then uttered it again.

Gay rights groups that had demanded Washington apologize say they didn’t seek his firing and gained nothing by it. Those who might have jumped to his defense, whether co-stars or those taking interest in the plight of a black actor, were silent or measured in their remarks.

“If he’s being let go because of that incident, I’m not sure the punishment fits the crime,” said Vic Bullock, executive director of the Hollywood bureau of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. The NAACP has asked ABC for “further clarity,” Bullock said.

Tavis Smiley, the national TV and radio talk-show host and author, said Washington’s words cut too deep.

“As a society we are still grappling with the notion of forgiveness and redemption,” Smiley said in an e-mailed comment. “What this incident shows us, not unlike the Don Imus matter, is there is some pain so deep, that an apology, no matter how sincere, just doesn’t suffice.”

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
Re: Isaiah Washington's firing a business decision
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 06:27:55 PM »
His character sucked anyway. Plus, he is a fkn idiot in real life, how long has he been acting? And he still doesn't know that there are many gays in Hollywood and who also watch his show and the Emmys? Fuck em.
E

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 06:38:31 PM »
He has been a professional actor since 1991 and has a respectable list of credits http://imdb.com/name/nm0913460/  but he was a fool not to realize the ripple effect his slur would generate and as a black man, he certainly should have known better.

For an up and coming actor, insulting gays in Hollywood is like insulting Jews; it’s a career killer.  He would have made $2.7 million in salary had he stayed on the show.  I hoped he saved his earnings to date.  There are a lot of people whom will never work with him now.  He’ll be lucky to get work in the years ahead.

Blatant homophobia is simply not going to be tolerated in Hollywood anymore and this episode proves it.

Bye bye Washington.  ;D

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 06:40:26 PM »
He has been a professional actor since 1991 and has a respectable list of credits http://imdb.com/name/nm0913460/  but he was a fool not to realize the ripple effect his slur would generate and as a black man, he certainly should have known better.

For an up and coming actor, insulting gays in Hollywood is like insulting Jews; it’s a career killer.  He would have made $2.7 million in salary had he stayed on the show.  I hoped he saved his earnings to date.  There are a lot of people whom will never work with him now.  He’ll be lucky to get work in the years ahead.

Blatant homophobia is simply not going to be tolerated in Hollywood anymore and this episode proves it.

Bye bye Washington.  ;D

I agree with what you are saying, but if it was Mcdreamy, they would have kept him imo. His character was really boring.
E

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 05:31:45 AM »
I think there is much more to this than meets the eye.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 10:35:03 AM »
Seems to me this was an overreaction.  Weren't his comments made in private? 

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 12:55:20 PM »
You can't say anything slightly Politically incorrect anymore, period.
See Kramer, Imus ("nappy-headed hoes"), the Mel Gibson-incident.

At least there's some consistency.
$

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 01:26:14 PM »
Seems to me this was an overreaction.  Weren't his comments made in private? 

No.  Get a clue.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 02:06:09 PM »
No.  Get a clue.

"Washington was fired from the show after he used an anti-gay slur at a Golden Globes press conference in January as the cast was accepting the award for best drama. Prior to that there were reports that Washington called Knight the anti-gay slur during an argument with costar Patrick Dempsey."

http://keyetv.com/entertainment/entertainment_story_172151113.html

So he called Knight an anti-gay slur in private, then repeated this anti-gay slur in public--only in the context of denying he made the anti-gay slur.

Looks like I was right.  Comments were made in private.  Again, sounds like an overreaction. 

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 05:17:56 PM »
He should have kept fat lipped mouth shut.

I think there is much more to this than meets the eye

Oh no.. Here comes the race card.  ::)

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 05:21:40 PM »
He should have kept fat lipped mouth shut.

I agree with you, I think it had nothing to do with Race. The cast of the show is very diverse and the creator, Shonda Rhimes is black I believe.
E

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 07:04:48 PM »
I think there is much more to this than meets the eye.

Newspaper and TV reports (if they are good) give you 70%, 80% or 90% of the story; there is more to every news story than meets the eye.  What exactly is your point?

What are you talking about? No one has made an effective argument that this had anything to do with race.

A really big star might be able to ride out this kind of controversy (by going into rehab), but Washington is an up an coming actor who offended the wrong people.  Hence he got booted.  It’s not as if there aren’t a hundred actors waiting in the wings to take his place.  ::)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2007, 07:00:16 AM »
Jag was headed in that direction until I stopped her. You should be thanking me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2007, 10:47:19 AM »
Isaiah Washington: 'They fired the wrong guy'
POSTED: 11:41 a.m. EDT, June 22, 2007
Story Highlights• Isaiah Washington was fired after a using an anti-gay epithet
• He says cast mate T.R. Knight should have been fired
• Washington accused Knight of exploiting the controversy

NEW YORK (AP) -- Isaiah Washington, fired this month from "Grey's Anatomy" following the firestorm he started with a homophobic invective, hit back at the network Thursday.

"They fired the wrong guy," the 43-year-old actor said in an interview with the Houston Chronicle.

He blames former cast mate T.R. Knight for stoking the scandal that led him to lose his role in the ABC hit. Knight is the one who should have been let go, he told the newspaper.

"I have to clear my name," said Washington. "I'll start from the beginning. I'm telling everything. So here's the truth."

Washington, who said he is considering a lawsuit, accused Knight of exploiting the controversy in order to get a salary increase and to enhance his role.

Washington drew fire after using the anti-gay epithet backstage at the Golden Globe Awards in January while denying he'd used it previously against Knight, 34, during an on-set dustup with co-star Patrick Dempsey.

Knight, who announced soon after the initial fracas that he was gay, told talk-show host Ellen DeGeneres in January that Washington used the slur against him and that "everyone (on the set) heard" him do so.

"That's a lie," Washington told the Chronicle. "I used the word during a disagreement with Patrick. I apologized for that. We shook hands and went back to work."

Washington was criticized for his comments by gay-rights groups, as well as by fellow cast member Katherine Heigl. Expressing contrition, he said he was seeking therapy and filmed a public-service announcement in which he said "words have power" to hurt or heal.

"I was not fired for making homophobic slurs," Washington said. "I did everything I said I would do. ... I wanted everyone to know I was remorseful."

A spokeswoman for ABC did not immediately return a phone call Thursday by The Associated Press seeking comment.

"I'm not angry," Washington told the Chronicle. "I'm disappointed."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/06/22/people.isaiah.washington.ap/index.html

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 11:42:39 AM »
"I was not fired for making homophobic slurs"? "They fired the wrong guy"?

This man doesn’t know the meaning of contrition.  I hope he has a plan B, acting is not in his future.  :(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 12:52:14 PM »
"That's a lie," Washington told the Chronicle. "I used the word during a disagreement with Patrick. I apologized for that. We shook hands and went back to work."

Assuming his version is true, this is where it should have ended.  These were coworkers, not supervisor/employee.  This shouldn't have been a national story. 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2007, 09:37:35 AM »
Jag was headed in that direction until I stopped her. You should be thanking me.

You're the idiot that brought race into this. I was not about to say anything about Isaiah's race. All I said is that there is much more to it than meets the eye. I'm not about to tell tales out of school. It's bad enough he got fired, ...I'm not going to air his dirty laundry in public.
w

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2007, 09:40:09 AM »
I'm not going to air his dirty laundry in public.

Please do. What else has he done?
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2007, 10:44:41 AM »

Yeah Kitty Kelly.  Do tell. . . .

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2007, 10:58:46 PM »

It's not so much about what he has done, but rather more so how Hollywood dictates he must be.
There are certain unwritten rules within Hollywood, and one breaks them at your own peril. That's all.
w

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 06:43:55 AM »
It's not so much about what he has done, but rather more so how Hollywood dictates he must be.
There are certain unwritten rules within Hollywood, and one breaks them at your own peril. That's all.
What are these rules?
$

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 07:19:53 AM »
Bah!  His firing is no big loss.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 02:33:16 AM »
What are these rules?

If I wrote them, ...they wouldn't be unwritten, now would they? ;)
w

Faust

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 02:38:24 AM »
If I wrote them, ...they wouldn't be unwritten, now would they? ;)
And what is keeping you from writing them down in this thread?
A hollywood omerta?
$

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 10:24:53 AM »
And what is keeping you from writing them down in this thread?
A hollywood omerta?

More like they don't exist.