Author Topic: Am I over training?  (Read 6614 times)

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
Am I over training?
« on: June 19, 2007, 06:42:08 PM »

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: Am I over training?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 10:11:38 PM »

In regards to the Split, I don't really favor it, but have you actually trained with this split???    In regards to number of sets per work out,  Yes it is a lot, but if your body can handle it then there is nothing wrong with that.  All my work outs are about 25 - 35 sets per muscle (I train one muscle a day) and my work outs can last anywhere from 2-3 hours.  Some people say that I over train, but I find that I am still growing and getting stronger, If ever I do less sets or less exercises I find the results to be really bad.  Everyone is different.  I know people that have 30 minute work outs and they respond great to that and grow like there is no tomorrow, I know if I ever did that, I won't grow - believe me I tried.   

climber

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 11:48:43 PM »
Easy. If a workout on a muscle group one week is affecting the performance of that same workout the next week then you are overtraining. You should be able to perform at least to the same level week after week. As long as you are making progress don't worry about it too much.
Hrmmm

AVBG

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 11:50:08 PM »
Easy. If a workout on a muscle group one week is affecting the performance of that same workout the next week then you are overtraining. You should be able to perform at least to the same degree the next week as you did the week before. As long as you are making progress don't worry about it too much.

Well answered.  8)

climber

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 11:55:45 PM »
Hrmmm

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 04:35:15 AM »
Easy. If a workout on a muscle group one week is affecting the performance of that same workout the next week then you are overtraining. You should be able to perform at least to the same level week after week. As long as you are making progress don't worry about it too much.

I like that answer very much.  But at the same time, sometimes you cannot perform a work out to the same level that you performed it a week before, and this is usually due to outside issues, like lets say stress, or less sleep one night, or maybe even if your diet is off one day, or if you are training say Early in the morning instead of in the evening.    This especially holds true when you are dieting for a show, and maybe you are carb cycling, that can affect you too.  What do you think?

fromfattoliving

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 10:01:30 AM »
I agree if your form is good, and your training is consistant than if you are differing cycles (i.e. carbs, tone, size) than your performance will vary but it should not vary week to week. Another thing to consider is that if you are increasing weight every time than your workout shoud be pyramid shaped with reps IMO. maybe 12-15 than 8-12 than 6-10 than 4-6 especially struggling with the last rep  if you are trying to put on size to get back to anormal  6ft 3 weight. But I dont know much but this is what has worked for me. I lost over 40lbs and then put on over 15 in muscle within the next 6 months with this style and a clean diet

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 11:36:54 AM »
Your Trying to gain muscle mass? That's too much volume for a lot of guys on AAS!
I needed a ephedra just to read it!
If you want SIZE dont hit a muscle group more than every 5th day will do most average guys good.
Shit, that's all Dorian did and I think he used a little "supplements" ::)
You think a average dude training non assisted can grow on that program?

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 01:35:16 PM »

Yes, I agree that, you must be progressing one way or another, meaning that you are either increasing weights or reps from work out to work out.  And if you are having a bad day and feeling weaker, It should not be a drastic decrease in strength!!!

BodyMachine

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 06:13:28 PM »
Your Trying to gain muscle mass? That's too much volume for a lot of guys on AAS!
I needed a ephedra just to read it!
If you want SIZE dont hit a muscle group more than every 5th day will do most average guys good.
Shit, that's all Dorian did and I think he used a little "supplements" ::)
You think a average dude training non assisted can grow on that program?

First thanks to everyone for the responses. Trab, my goal is to pack as much muscle on as possible. Overall, I would say that I am not sore or weak going into the next week doing the same thing. I do try to follow a pyramid in that I start out with lower weight and go up in weight until I can do about 5-6 reps (usually this is set 4 or 5). Funny thing is that every week I am able to do more and more weight on legs, but with chest, my weight is slowly increasing. I will cut some of it out, or if you guys have a link to a routine you use or know will put on mass please let me know.

FYI: Here is my diet (also, because of my "fat" history, I have a tendency to put on fat quickly)
  • 80g oatmeal w/ 30g raisins made with FF milk
  • 1% fat cottage cheese usually at least 2 "suggested servings" w/ 1 serving peanuts
  • Peanut butter sandwich (100% peanuts no crap preservatives/additives)
  • Work out 1 then immediately 35-45g whey protein and either a banana or 1-1.5 scoops of power aid
  • Roast beef sandwich or sometimes 40-60g oatmeal
  • Workout 2 then immediately 25g whey and a banana or 1-1.5 scoop of power aid
  • 4 eggs, tomato, 1 slice cheese
  • 2-3 Soy patty w/ green beens or broccoli or just cottage cheese

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 10:21:52 PM »
I dont think you are over training in the sence that you will negatively affect your body but I dont think it will make you grow best.  My training is like this.  I may do about 4 or 5 sets for each body part.  Once every few weeks do twenty sets or so and sometimes no rest between sets and your muscles will be totally shocked because they are only used to 4 or 5 and usually they will grow, at least it works for me.  I only do one set of 45 for pullups and thats all I do for lats and then once every few weeks ill tie a bunch of wieght to me for multiple sets and it usually stimulates growth because my muscles are only accustomed to one set.  When I used to follow the Arnold Swart^^*&^^ routine I used to do 20 sets per body part and after a while it was like nothing to my muscles because they got used to it where now if I only do 2 sets per body part for 3 weeks then all the sudden do 20 sets they arnt ready for that and it stimulates growth.  Ive tried all sorts of programs and this is the only one I know of to get consistant results.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 05:29:33 AM »
Hercs traing method is a good one, mix it up. I would cut that volume. I'd also lean toward the PLer
methods, esp early on when ya want raw size. Throw some red meat in that diet! Almost every Masive Dude loves the stuff! T-Bones- Porterhouses Rib steaks,  a hour or so after a  brutal workout when you can. Big gut full and go sleepy By! Throw a couple eggs in w/ it too, just short of puking!  Try to bulk till you are just about to lose abs. Thats my feellings.

You cant slow steady gain looking like Frank Zane in contest shape, and truth be told... the top pros that are allways ripped dont tend to gain new size. and it's dune on a brutal regimine of Clen Cytomel and other stuff thats even worse. Remember Munzner was known for ALLWAYS  being ripped. ALso hang w/ some big dudes and watch them eat and train.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 08:12:07 PM »
YOu look WAY better heavier & your gut didnt grow noticeably even worth talk'n about, Keep eat'n it on and go heavy w/ the bar- but not to the point of injury. Rest and recover from HARD HEAVY iron sessions that are about 45-60min max w/ a short/lite warm up sets of the Body parts to be worked just prior to REAL heavy work.  Dont be afraid to take 2-5 min between very heavy sets if it works for you.
Try to chill out as much as possible, ELIMINATE ALL CARDIO POSSIBEL! Dont walk if you can sit, sit if lay.. ;)
To a point.

I'd spend some money on top quality juicy fat beef, esp 1st hard food meal after workouts.
MRP's- a couple a day choked down between at least 3 good solid meals. Thats the real key, you could dump buckets of expensive dangerous drugs down, but w/ out the food not much happens except some temporary water retention.

climber

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 09:00:31 PM »
Just another two cents,

You might want to take look into how much you are training your chest in your split. You could possibly be training that too frequently for optimal gains. Your chest should really still be sore on Wednesday after training it on a Monday... at least sore enough for you to not want to train it. If you are going to hit it twice in a week then try to give it day more rest at least.

Good work though, it looks like you've put some mass on from those pictures. Keep at it.
Hrmmm

Herc

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 09:30:25 PM »
For diet try to eat mostly good foods that have some nutritional value and some protien and stay away from empty calories or crap like taco bell.  Ive been on the diet roller coaster many times where id loose wieght then bulk up and then loose it then bulk up then loose it ect...  Ive managed for a couple years now to stay leen and put on some muscle.  I find out how much I can eat without gaining wieght by trail and error.  Once I know what I can eat without gaining or loosing wieght I add about 400 or 500 calories of staight protien to that a day.  Sometimes this will allow me to gain a few lbs of muscle.  This is a very low amount of aditional calories but it prevents you from getting fat and allows for pure muscle to be put on.  If I dont get more muscle or fat at that point I may add yet another 200 or 300 and see how it goes.  But really moniter your wieght because it can come back fast if you dont keep it in check.  Also remember that 5 or 10 lbs of muscle is a big strenght gain.  I only gained around 10lbs of muscle and my major lifts went up around 40lbs and the minor lifts 10lbs or so.  So if your body shoots up 30 lbs even though you may be stronger you probably didnt gain that much muscle unless your bench and squats both went up like 120 lbs.  If you eat slightly more then your body needs you can put on some muscle but anything over that your body will just store as fat espesially since your body already has that tendency since you used to wiegh much more.  Just wiegh yourself often and keep your fat in check.  In high school I went from 120 to 190 by my senior year.  I probably gained about 30lbs of muscle and 40lbs of fat.  If I were lean and ripped I would have only been about 150 but looked much better without the double chin I had and the stomach.