Author Topic: The reason discussing politic's is a waste of time..................  (Read 4207 times)

The Enigma

• Getbig IV
  • Porsche 911 Turbo Carerra. My reality, your dream.
Boxes of cash arrive daily from lobbyist's, and politicians carry them off. As long this is allowed to continue, we really have no Republican or Democratic Party, we only have the Corporation Party.

"By the people" has become.................. ...."Buy the people"

The Corporation Party will continue to run this country as long as politicians are able to walk off with boxes of money from K Street.

Arguments between Repubs and Dems is fruitless. Currently, there is no real difference between either party. Both are just conduit's to the Corporation Party.

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: The reason discussing politic's is a waste of time..................
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 01:05:41 PM »
In the Gilded Age of the US up through the great depression, the united states was marked by political scandal and Robber Baron business practices.

Working conditions (if work was available) and life in general for the non-wealthy was difficult.

It took a man like FDR, often called a traitor to his class, to right the country and make the government responsive to all the citizens and not just the elites.

We discuss politics to influence the way people think about things.

All revolutions start as an idea.  Change is possible even if it's only incremental.  It is a constant battle.

Sometimes a person comes along that can do something about the corporate rule and corruption of our politics.

We discuss politics to bring about that sort of change by influencing prevailing thinking.  It may be a circuitous tactic not paying off for years or decades, but we lay the foundation of thought by our discussions today.

To throw in the towel and ultimately give up is not an option.  To do so is to deflect momentarily the hassle of thinking and dealing with these important things.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 01:08:01 PM »
In the Gilded Age of the US up through the great depression, the united states was marked by political scandal and Robber Baron business practices.

Working conditions (if work was available) and life in general for the non-wealthy was difficult.

It took a man like FDR, often called a traitor to his class, to right the country and make the government responsive to all the citizens and not just the elites.

All revolutions start as an idea.  Change is possible even if it's only incremental.  It is a constant battle.

Sometimes a person comes along that can do something about the corporate rule and corruption of our politics.

We discuss politics to bring about that sort of change by influencing prevailing thinking.  It may be a circuitous tactic not paying off for years or decades, but we lay the foundation of thought by our discussions today.

To throw in the towel and ultimately give up is not an option.  To do so is to deflect momentarily the hassle of thinking and dealing with these important things.
well said, Decker

Decker

• Getbig V

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 02:57:47 PM »

Would have been words of wisdom in the sixties, but this is a new era, and it's a demoralizing one at that. Balance is the constant battle, halting change...we can keep singing to ourselves though

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:58:24 PM »
I'm mostly here for entertainment value and to kill some time while sitting in front a multiple computer screens trying to predict the future.   Occasionally I learn something from this site but I have no expectations of changing anyone's mind about anything. 

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 04:38:47 PM »

well said "mark twain"

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 05:43:43 PM »
well said "mark twain"
sounds more oscar wilde to me, ye butchers

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 07:17:32 PM »
sounds more oscar wilde to me, ye butchers

naw,, thats all mark twains words, i could see it from a mile away..

mark twains actual words
"the gilded age was glittering on the surface but corrupt underneath. In the popular view, the late nineteenth century was a period of greed and guile: of rapacious Robber Barons, unscrupulous speculators, and corporate buccaneers, of shady business practices, scandal-plagued politics, and vulgar display. It was a time not unlike our own.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 07:35:07 PM »

mark twains actual words
"the gilded age was glittering on the surface but corrupt underneath. In the popular view, the late nineteenth century was a period of greed and guile: of rapacious Robber Barons, unscrupulous speculators, and corporate buccaneers, of shady business practices, scandal-plagued politics, and vulgar display. It was a time not unlike our own.

cool man I'll check it out, thanks bro

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 11:52:47 PM »
MB_722, You always post such interesting and informative links.  :)
w

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 06:41:03 AM »
well said "mark twain"
I'm sorry to say that I can't recall reading the man's works.  I know that I open myself to shots when I state that what we do here is more than just shooting the shit.  A developing perspective in life has many sources.  This place is one of them.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 06:45:51 AM »

Name one. 
Become familiar with this piece of our history:  The Business Plot, The Plot Against FDR, or The White House Putschhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_Plot

One man can make a difference.

Other than FDR, we could look at politicians like LBJ and Bobby Kennedy.  We could look at opinion shapers like Noam Chomsky or Gore Vidal.  Today, I would put up Russ Feingold or Ron Paul as examples of statesman that buck the trend and defend our constitution from corporate political influence.

Also, I'm glad you think I copped Mark Twain's work.  I didn't.  And you didn't point that out until somebody else saw a similarity.

But honestly, the topic of "gilded age" is primarily associated with the Robber Baron practices of Vanderbilt, Carnegie or Morgan.  My mentioning that is to point out the obvious.  Thorstein Veblen wrote a great book about the predatory practices of these so-called capitalists which I did read b/c Albert Einstein admired the man's work.

If you would like to think you got me for plagiarizing, go ahead.  It's not the case, but you can think what you like.  Any similarity btn Twain's paragraph and mine is incidental.  And look over my past posts, I always give credit where it's due.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2007, 06:48:31 AM »

mark twains actual words
God as my witness, I never saw that paragraph you listed.  Which book of his is it from?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 10:19:16 AM »
Yeah right.  ::)
Discussing the Gilded Age without referencing robber barons as historical antecedents of the early 20th century corporations  would be tough to do.  I composed that entire entry without the help of Mark Twain.  Try to discuss the Bush administration w/out these words: corrupt, criminal or Iraq.

It doesn't matter though b/c you've attacked my credibility and character.  I can't have that.

So here's another quote for you:

"Go fuck yourself."

Guess who said that besides me.  Not Mark Twain, that's for sure.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 10:42:17 AM »
Boxes of cash arrive daily from lobbyist's, and politicians carry them off. As long this is allowed to continue, we really have no Republican or Democratic Party, we only have the Corporation Party.

"By the people" has become.................. ...."Buy the people"

The Corporation Party will continue to run this country as long as politicians are able to walk off with boxes of money from K Street.

Arguments between Repubs and Dems is fruitless. Currently, there is no real difference between either party. Both are just conduit's to the Corporation Party.

It's true that there are corrupt elements in both parties, but there are stark differences, including:

Taxes
Defense
The role of the federal government
Education
The courts
A number of social issues

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 10:44:11 AM »
MB_722, You always post such interesting and informative links.  :)

I know this is bad, but this is a cue to me that I shouldn't watch.   :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 10:45:55 AM »
Discussing the Gilded Age without referencing robber barons as historical antecedents of the early 20th century corporations  would be tough to do.  I composed that entire entry without the help of Mark Twain.  Try to discuss the Bush administration w/out these words: corrupt, criminal or Iraq.

It doesn't matter though b/c you've attacked my credibility and character.  I can't have that.

So here's another quote for you:

"Go fuck yourself."

Guess who said that besides me.  Not Mark Twain, that's for sure.

DOH!  LOL!  . . . .

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 12:25:45 PM »
Ok, Mark.  :-*
I'm sorry, it's just that I really did write that paragraph w/out Mr. Clemens's help.  Now that I read it, I can see how someone would draw the same conclusion as you did.  But it's just not the case.  Now the point of this thread has been derailed and that's the last thing that I want to happen.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2007, 12:37:43 AM »
I know this is bad, but this is a cue to me that I shouldn't watch.   :D

Tsk tsk... naughty boy.  ;)

Didn't mean to scare you away. If it's any consolation, my use of the term 'interesting & informative' speaks to the depth of the content he links, not the political stripe of it. It could be a treatise on why Republicanism is good for all I care, ...but if it comes from MB_722, you can pretty much count on it to be well researched with facts to back up premises, taking into account historical perspectives, along with the many nuances that exist without the overly simplistic black & white approach more comprehensible to the single digit IQ's.

Now go watch the link before the lava flow disrupts your internet connection.  :-*
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 01:20:12 PM »
Tsk tsk... naughty boy.  ;)

Didn't mean to scare you away. If it's any consolation, my use of the term 'interesting & informative' speaks to the depth of the content he links, not the political stripe of it. It could be a treatise on why Republicanism is good for all I care, ...but if it comes from MB_722, you can pretty much count on it to be well researched with facts to back up premises, taking into account historical perspectives, along with the many nuances that exist without the overly simplistic black & white approach more comprehensible to the single digit IQ's.

Now go watch the link before the lava flow disrupts your internet connection.  :-*

O.K.  I watched the whole 9 minutes and 25 seconds.  It's okay. 

No active volcanoes on my island.  I am looking at clear blue skies, the mountains, and the ocean.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 02:34:05 PM »

Sounds like a horrible day.  ;)

It's a dirty job . . .  :D 

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 02:56:43 PM »
O.K.  I watched the whole 9 minutes and 25 seconds.  It's okay. 

No active volcanoes on my island.  I am looking at clear blue skies, the mountains, and the ocean.   :)

9 minutes and 25 seconds?! Dude, ...that was only part 1, of an 11 part series. Go watch the other 10 parts! ::)
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 03:39:09 PM »
9 minutes and 25 seconds?! Dude, ...that was only part 1, of an 11 part series. Go watch the other 10 parts! ::)

Ah . . . no.