Author Topic: Quinoa and Buckwheat  (Read 3992 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Quinoa and Buckwheat
« on: June 20, 2007, 05:16:05 PM »
After picking up the Ezekiel pasta (see other post) I also picked up Quinoa pasta and buckwheat groats.

On the buckwheat, I read in the current Muscle and Fitness that buckwheat is an ideal pre w/o carb source because of its digestion rate and efect on insulin. Does anyone else use buckwheat in this way?  Also there was a reference to "soba noodles" which I could not find at the store.  Suggestions?

Buckwheat per quarter cup:
CAL: 150
FAT: 1.0G
PROT: 5.0g
CARB: 31.0g
FIBER: 4.0g

On the quinoa pasta, I purchased on a vague recollection of reading something somewhere that it was an ideal alternative to traditional pasta.  I'm not sure why. Any experience?

Quinoa per 2 oz dry
CAL: 180
FAT: 2.0g
PROT: 2.0g
CARB: 35.0g
FIBER: 2.5g

A final note on price, extremely affordable- I picked up the quinoa pasta, the buckwheat and the Ezekiel pasta (see other post) for approximately $13.

chirorhino

• Getbig II
Re: Quinoa and Buckwheat
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 07:05:38 PM »
your profile says you are in LA, so you can go to trader joe's or whole foods for the soba noodles; TJ's is prob your best bet price wise for both the soba and the quinoa. you may want to pick up the whole wheat cous cous from TJ's also it actually has a better nutritional profile than the soba noodles. they also have brown rice pasta as well. It tastes great with some spinach and diced tomatoes mixed in. If you want the nut. info on the cous cous I will post it.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 07:52:36 PM »
your profile says you are in LA, so you can go to trader joe's or whole foods for the soba noodles; TJ's is prob your best bet price wise for both the soba and the quinoa. you may want to pick up the whole wheat cous cous from TJ's also it actually has a better nutritional profile than the soba noodles. they also have brown rice pasta as well. It tastes great with some spinach and diced tomatoes mixed in. If you want the nut. info on the cous cous I will post it.

Sure, post away on the nutritional info for cous cous!  Thanks for the info- I'll look at Trader Joe's, whole foods I did not see it.

chirorhino

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 09:46:00 PM »
at whole foods they tend to put the soba noodles in the produce section for some reason, if not it is with the nori(seaweed paper), ginger, and other asian-style foods, as for the cous cous...

Whole Wheat Cous Cous
Cal: 220 Cal
Fat: 1g
Protein: 8g
Carbs: 44g
Fiber: 7g

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 01:13:25 AM »
Both are great.

Try Quinoa on it's own, not pasta.

japanese soba are great in the summer eaten cold.

chirorhino

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 07:26:11 AM »
good call DK! soba is best served cold.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 09:20:49 AM »
Both are great.

Try Quinoa on it's own, not pasta.

japanese soba are great in the summer eaten cold.

How is quinoa served/prepared on its own?  Thanks in advance.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 09:28:04 AM »
How is quinoa served/prepared on its own?  Thanks in advance.

sort of like couscous.

You cook it with one part quinoa to 2 1/2 parts water for 20 minutes. Be sure to rinse very good before cooking with warm water to lose the bitter tasting parts.

It's very healthy and tastes great, better than pasta imo.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 10:34:54 AM »
looks like oat meal.Ill try it.
DAWG

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 11:32:21 AM »
looks like oat meal.Ill try it.

FAR better than oatmeal.

Quinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, being secondary only to the potato, and followed in third place by maize.

In contemporary times this crop has come to be highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content (12%–18%) is very high. Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete foodstuff.

This means it takes less quinoa protein to meet one's needs than wheat protein. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron.
Quinoa is gluten free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered as a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights.[2]

Quinoa can serve as a high-protein breakfast food mixed with honey, almonds, or berries; it is also sold as a dry product, much like corn flakes.

As a snack food, Quinoa can be toasted in a dry pan over medium heat until it is browned and mixed with granola, fruit (fresh or dried), coconut, or just eaten by itself.

Quinoa flour can be used in wheat-based and gluten-free baking. For the latter, it can be combined with sorghum flour, tapioca, and potato starch to create a nutritious gluten-free baking mix. A suggested mix is three parts quinoa flour, three parts sorghum flour, two parts potato starch, and one part tapioca starch. Quinoa flour can be used as a filling for chocolate.

Lastly, quinoa may be germinated in its raw form to boost its nutritional value. Germination activates its natural enzymes and multiplies its vitamin and mineral content. In fact, quinoa has a notably short germination period: only 2-4 hours resting in a glass of clean water is enough to make it sprout and release gases, as opposed to, eg., 12 hours overnight with wheat. This process, besides its nutritional enhancements, softens the grains, making them suitable to be added to salads and other cold foods.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 12:42:28 PM »
FAR better than oatmeal.

Great post and information.  Thank you.  Where is a good place to purchase, whole foods?

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 12:45:05 PM »
Great post and information.  Thank you.  Where is a good place to purchase, whole foods?

sorry, i'm in germany, don't know anything about US stores.  :-\

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2007, 01:41:25 PM »

whole foods will have them....
whenever you cook with any grains be sure to let them sprout overnight. Soak them in warm/hot water to break down any phyto-nutrients.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2007, 02:41:31 PM »
whole foods will have them....
whenever you cook with any grains be sure to let them sprout overnight. Soak them in warm/hot water to break down any phyto-nutrients.

Will do.  Thanks.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2007, 03:39:32 PM »
Quinoa is an awesome alternative to other popular carbs.  It has nearly twice the fiber and protein of regular grains, it's loaded with lysine and it's considered a complete protein.  You cook it like rice and it has a great nutty flavor.  Along with oatmeal, it is my primary source of carbs.  I get mine at Trader Joe's...
w

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2007, 09:43:53 PM »
Quinoa is an awesome alternative to other popular carbs.  It has nearly twice the fiber and protein of regular grains, it's loaded with lysine and it's considered a complete protein.  You cook it like rice and it has a great nutty flavor.  Along with oatmeal, it is my primary source of carbs.  I get mine at Trader Joe's...

It's kinda funky looking after it cooks  :D
Are there different kinds?  The kind I've had was sort of red in color  :-\
What do you do with it???
:

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 11:24:06 AM »

It's kinda funky looking after it cooks  :D
Are there different kinds?  The kind I've had was sort of red in color  :-\
What do you do with it???

I have seen some red quinoa before, but have never tried it.  The kind I get looks like brown rice in color, but has a butty flavor.  Anything you can do with rice, you can do with quinoa.  I ussually just put some salt in it or maybe mix in some corn or peas...
w

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 11:28:12 AM »
that shit look like worms..

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 02:02:04 PM »

It's also loaded with calcium, more than dairy or green vegetables. Amaranth also.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 02:05:30 PM »
It's also loaded with calcium, more than dairy or green vegetables. Amaranth also.

What kind of Doc are you?
w

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 02:30:57 PM »
What kind of Doc are you?

I'm a Bethany Carter Howlett gimmick!   ;D

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 02:34:49 PM »
I'm a Bethany Carter Howlett gimmick!   ;D

ha ha...nice.
w

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 03:08:46 PM »
BTW Mindspin ~ It's nice to see you over here  ;D
:

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 03:14:56 PM »
BTW Mindspin ~ It's nice to see you over here  ;D

Hi Princess...thanks, but I don't even know where I am.  The way I "GetBig" is to click on "show new replies to your posts" or "Show unread posts since last visit".  I don't ever navigate by looking for the boards...
w

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2007, 01:49:53 PM »
I just went to a California chain restaurant called Nico's which offered a salad with the soba noodles, egg whites, chicken breast and half a hard boiled egg along with more traditional salad items.  The flyer in the menu really promoted the benefits of the buckwheat. A very bodybuilder friendly choice.