Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 350879 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2007, 07:51:58 PM »
Ohh Rip baby stop it, you have my mind wandering there LOL  :-*

Rip what is this lying leg press?  Is like the ones I have seen from back in the day where you actually lay on the floor.  Rip it sounds like your gym is pretty hardcore?

I checked Bodymasters site and could not find it, maybe its a machine they stopped making?

Hey ripper baby they make one of these though.  ;D

http://www.body-masters.com/bmsi/athletic/AG1000.html

Well, it's a leg press that's low to the ground, so that's why I said "lying" which is a total misnomer... ;D
It's like the ones in this pic...you sit at about 45 degrees. 

My gym is just old lol, it's not really hard core at all.  They don't have any power racks and the dumbells only go up to 115, I think (which is fine with me).  Most of the equipment is pretty old and yucky, and alot of the cardio is total crap.  Old gyms have their advantages and disadvantages, I suppose. 

My FAVORITE leg press is the completely vertical leg press where you lie on the ground and press upwards at 90 degrees...it's like just having the weight right directly above you.  I trained at a gym last year once in a while that had one of those and a donkey calf machine...I loved both of them!

I have never used a glute-ham set up like that, but DAMN that would be awesome to work on those drops!  I didn't do drops this time b/c I am really concerned about my elbows, if that makes any sense. 

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2007, 07:59:44 PM »

Well, it's a leg press that's low to the ground, so that's why I said "lying" which is a total misnomer... ;D
It's like the ones in this pic...you sit at about 45 degrees 

My FAVORITE leg press is the completely vertical leg press where you lie on the ground and press upwards at 90 degrees...it's like just having the weight right directly above you.  I trained at a gym last year once in a while that had one of those and a donkey calf machine...I loved both of them!

I have never used a glute-ham set up like that, but DAMN that would be awesome to work on those drops!  I didn't do drops this time b/c I am really concerned about my elbows, if that makes any sense. 

Thats the kind I thought you ment, the vertical one that is your favorite.  I like the 45 degree ones, I used to train at a gym that had a lot of bodymasters stuff, I really liked most of their machines.

Yeah I have not done the drops either afraid I will pull a hammy at this point, but thought it was cool they had a bench for them at BM.  I know what you mean about the elbow.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2007, 04:24:52 AM »

I agree.  I have been so focused on chest training lately that I have had a hard time with legs.  After not doing legs for two weeks, and doing an all-machine leg workout before that (cuz of my back pain), I decided to do a big leg workout on Friday, and I am SO sore today that I seriously can hardly walk.  I can't bend over at all lol.   :-\
I was also not feeling strong at all, so I kept it in the higher rep range. 

I may be changing up my leg program for the next few months, I am not sure yet.

SQUATS  - warm up with bar, 95 x 20, 145 x 8 for four sets

LEG PRESS - It's a Body Masters leg press lying on the ground, I hate it.   I did one plate on each side, very deep all the way down, for 18.  Then I did two sets with two plates, 8 reps, and I really struggled.  So I did one more set all the way down with one plate, 18 reps.
- I supersetted all my leg press sets with straight leg calf raises on the same machine, about 15 reps each set.

DEADLIFTS - 65 x 20 warmup, 95 x 15, two sets of 135 x 10.  I was dying by this point.

LEG EXTENSIONS/SEATED HAMMY CURLS - I supersetted these two machines for four sets.  The two middle sets were heavier and fewer reps.

STANDING CALF RAISE - Two sets 120 pounds x 15

LYING HAMMY CURL - Two sets 65 pounds x 15 just to drive the point home.

OUCH!!!!!!!!   >:( :'(

Missy I'm not liking this lackadaisical attitude towards training legs  >:( Your gonna make me come out there and you know what...... ;D

Repeat after me "I luv the squat rack and leg press machine".......

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2007, 09:54:18 AM »
Missy I'm not liking this lackadaisical attitude towards training legs  >:( Your gonna make me come out there and you know what...... ;D

Repeat after me "I luv the squat rack and leg press machine".......

Are you still offering massages?   ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2007, 12:45:48 PM »

Are you still offering massages?   ;D

Well of course rip baby, anything for you  :-*

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2007, 02:53:15 PM »
Strong thumbs and a great knowledge of muscle tie-ins is the key to a good massage.
Your gona laugh... The Best Damn Massage girl I've ever been to must weigh close to 300lbs  ;D
I'd ask for her, and all the skinnies there would look real puzzled  8)

The schools give the best massage deals. Just find when they have student massage sessions.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2007, 04:37:12 PM »
Strong thumbs and a great knowledge of muscle tie-ins is the key to a good massage.
Your gona laugh... The Best Damn Massage girl I've ever been to must weigh close to 300lbs  ;D
I'd ask for her, and all the skinnies there would look real puzzled  8)

The schools give the best massage deals. Just find when they have student massage sessions.

This is true, I have heard that the college up the street from us gives one hour massages for like $20.

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2007, 04:38:22 PM »

This is true, I have heard that the college up the street from us gives one hour massages for like $20.

come to St. Louis you'll get one for free. :D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2007, 04:40:27 AM »
No more fighting in the training threads.   :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2007, 08:02:36 AM »
what?

I deleted some off-topic posts, you probably missed them. 
None were yours....not this time anyway.    ;)

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2007, 05:53:54 PM »

I deleted some off-topic posts, you probably missed them. 
None were yours....not this time anyway.    ;)

you beat me to it then
X

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2007, 07:55:13 PM »
come to St. Louis you'll get one for free. :D
Sorry buddy, Rip's already got a full body massage scheduled for later this year right around Christmas with yours truly...and I can promise, she won't need another for a long, long time  8)

Of course, I'd bet dear ole hubby might have a thing or 2 to say about that, lol!

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2007, 03:50:51 AM »
I give damn good massage, but wifey would blow her cork 4-SURE  ;D

I had this spoiled UWis  J.A.Princess GF years back...
She - "You give the best massages on Earth, and believe me - Dad's paid for lots!" 

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2007, 03:35:27 PM »
Well about to go and do calves and quads here in about 20min...hams done on chest day. In honor of this thread, I just thought everyone would desperately want to know this, lol!

Will post the insanity for all those interested later!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2007, 07:03:48 PM »
Well about to go and do calves and quads here in about 20min...hams done on chest day. In honor of this thread, I just thought everyone would desperately want to know this, lol!

Will post the insanity for all those interested later!

Let's hear it.   8)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #190 on: October 10, 2007, 07:23:49 PM »

Let's hear it.   8)

Good leg day, not the best but pretty good.

Calves: donkey raise, 6sec down hold for 8sec, repeat...12-15reps 4 sets

Leg ext: single leg, 15-20 reps (warm up) very light weight

Front squats: 2x12/135, 1x10/185, 1x10/225, 1x7/275 (wanted 8 with 275 but couldn't get it)

Hacks: 3plates/per side 15, 4plates 12, 5 plates only 8, 5plates again only 5 this time.

BB Walking lunges: 1 set 135, 2 set at 185. I don't count the steps because I can't count while doing it, lol! But it's a long way, around 10-12 steps per leg.

Leg ext: both legs this time, 3 sets @250 8-10 reps, very slow, and a pause at the top for just a second.

I have kind of 2 differant days I mix in when I train quads right now. This day, which is very fast paced, very short breaks between sets, and then the other day, which I'll do next wk where I try to go heavier with things like regular squats and leg press...seems to be a good thing for the moment.

Funny story about front squats. back this past winter I was front squatting, and I keep the bar tucked tight very close to my neck. Well I got to the end of a set and was struggling pretty bad with the last rep...I wasn't going to make it back up. So I jerked really hard to get up and when I did, the bar bounced and hit my right in the neck...right against the Adams apple. When this happened, I threw up all over my shirt...no joke. It wasn't like a huge mess of vomit, but it still happened. I didn't drop the bar either and I have no clue how I was able to hang on to it and get it racked.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #191 on: October 10, 2007, 09:13:50 PM »
Good leg day, not the best but pretty good.

Calves: donkey raise, 6sec down hold for 8sec, repeat...12-15reps 4 sets

Leg ext: single leg, 15-20 reps (warm up) very light weight

Front squats: 2x12/135, 1x10/185, 1x10/225, 1x7/275 (wanted 8 with 275 but couldn't get it)

Hacks: 3plates/per side 15, 4plates 12, 5 plates only 8, 5plates again only 5 this time.

BB Walking lunges: 1 set 135, 2 set at 185. I don't count the steps because I can't count while doing it, lol! But it's a long way, around 10-12 steps per leg.

Leg ext: both legs this time, 3 sets @250 8-10 reps, very slow, and a pause at the top for just a second.

I have kind of 2 differant days I mix in when I train quads right now. This day, which is very fast paced, very short breaks between sets, and then the other day, which I'll do next wk where I try to go heavier with things like regular squats and leg press...seems to be a good thing for the moment.

Funny story about front squats. back this past winter I was front squatting, and I keep the bar tucked tight very close to my neck. Well I got to the end of a set and was struggling pretty bad with the last rep...I wasn't going to make it back up. So I jerked really hard to get up and when I did, the bar bounced and hit my right in the neck...right against the Adams apple. When this happened, I threw up all over my shirt...no joke. It wasn't like a huge mess of vomit, but it still happened. I didn't drop the bar either and I have no clue how I was able to hang on to it and get it racked.

Gross dude!  Man I have never really seen the point in front squats, but thats just me  :-\   I could probally count on my hands and toes the # of times I have done them.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #192 on: October 10, 2007, 09:34:20 PM »
Gross dude!  Man I have never really seen the point in front squats, but thats just me  :-\   I could probally count on my hands and toes the # of times I have done them.
On one hand it's simply about variety. Granted, I prefer regular squats and I actually like doing them but the "feel" from front squats is so differant that I figure it has to be worth something. Plus, it forces you to concentrate even more on your form, or you'll fall flat on your face, lol. This is a good thing because it obviously helps you when you do back squats so that your form is tighter.

Side note, any time I keep front squats in the rotation, my regular squat numbers go up. Pull off the front squats, my regular numbers won't go down, but they seem to climb much, much slower.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2007, 04:49:05 AM »
hahaha OMG, that's awful lol!!   :P

Sounds like a damn good workout, I wish I had a donkey calf machine.   :(

I don't do front squats very often either, but I have noticed that I am able to go down alot further when I do do them, usually on the Smith machine.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #194 on: October 14, 2007, 06:15:30 AM »

I wish I had a donkey calf machine.   :(

Well rip if your gym has one of those calf machines you sit in and push with relatively straight legs, this has your hips in the same position as the donkey calf.  Thats what supposedly makes the donkey calf unique.  Any calf machine where your hips are in that bent position is the same thing. 

Some thing like one of these

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #195 on: October 14, 2007, 06:53:05 AM »
Well rip if your gym has one of those calf machines you sit in and push with relatively straight legs, this has your hips in the same position as the donkey calf.  Thats what supposedly makes the donkey calf unique.  Any calf machine where your hips are in that bent position is the same thing. 

Some thing like one of these

I use that one from time to time when I train at my friend's gym.  Sometimes, I just use the leg press sled, keeping my legs straight and doing calf raises, which seems to be very similar to that machine. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #196 on: October 14, 2007, 07:17:52 AM »

I use that one from time to time when I train at my friend's gym.  Sometimes, I just use the leg press sled, keeping my legs straight and doing calf raises, which seems to be very similar to that machine. 

Yeah that works too.  Only downside to you not having acess to the donkey calf is I cant see your pretty little ### in the air.  :-*  OOOppps i said that out loud didnt I.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #197 on: October 15, 2007, 10:36:06 AM »
Yeah that works too.  Only downside to you not having acess to the donkey calf is I cant see your pretty little ### in the air.  :-*  OOOppps i said that out loud didnt I.

;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #198 on: October 15, 2007, 06:49:38 PM »
Man trained legs yesterday and they are SORE!  LOL they were sore 2 hours after workout.  I did some stuff I usually dont do at this point in my prep.  I try and keep the weights up in an effort to maintain size.  Heavy but not stupid heavy.  I have always noticed that I start to loose some quad sweep when I dont squat.  So I threw some squats in  ;D  I have not squated in about 2 months, so these weights were feeling kind of heavy.

Started with leg press (Flex sled type)I work up slow on these to warm up my knees and legs.  Weights listed are per side. 1x20, 2x15, 4x15, 6x12, 7x12, 8x12 and 9x10 at aprox 190lbs that 9 plates was feeling heavy.

Squats: 135x12, 225x12, 315x12, 315x10  I was hurting at this point.  I just concentrated on good form and getting pretty deep on these and they felt great.  cant say enough about free weight squats, I really feel they are most resposible for my leg development.  man I was feeling it in the hams and glutes. that damn move hits your whole leg!  I squat with a slightly less than shoulder width foot position and the bar pretty high on my back.

Single leg extensions, light weight just one leg after the other till done, no rest for 4 sets.

Seated leg curls 4x12

Lying leg curls 4x12

DB SLDL 3x12  pretty lite maybe 65 DBs

Really felt good to squat again and like I said more sore than I have been in a while.  just one more leg workout till my comp  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #199 on: October 15, 2007, 07:04:26 PM »
Man trained legs yesterday and they are SORE!  LOL they were sore 2 hours after workout.  I did some stuff I usually dont do at this point in my prep.  I try and keep the weights up in an effort to maintain size.  Heavy but not stupid heavy.  I have always noticed that I start to loose some quad sweep when I dont squat.  So I threw some squats in  ;D  I have not squated in about 2 months, so these weights were feeling kind of heavy.

Started with leg press (Flex sled type)I work up slow on these to warm up my knees and legs.  Weights listed are per side. 1x20, 2x15, 4x15, 6x12, 7x12, 8x12 and 9x10 at aprox 190lbs that 9 plates was feeling heavy.

Squats: 135x12, 225x12, 315x12, 315x10  I was hurting at this point.  I just concentrated on good form and getting pretty deep on these and they felt great.  cant say enough about free weight squats, I really feel they are most resposible for my leg development.  man I was feeling it in the hams and glutes. that damn move hits your whole leg!  I squat with a slightly less than shoulder width foot position and the bar pretty high on my back.

Single leg extensions, light weight just one leg after the other till done, no rest for 4 sets.

Seated leg curls 4x12

Lying leg curls 4x12

DB SLDL 3x12  pretty lite maybe 65 DBs

Really felt good to squat again and like I said more sore than I have been in a while.  just one more leg workout till my comp  :)

Now THAT sounds like a mean workout, esp so close to the show...good for you!   8)
When you gonna do that last leg workout?  Make sure you rest plenty before the show!  But you know what you are doing... ;)

I fully agree on the free squats, ain't nothing better for leg development IMO.