Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 352019 times)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2007, 08:19:06 PM »

Now THAT sounds like a mean workout, esp so close to the show...good for you!   8)
When you gonna do that last leg workout?  Make sure you rest plenty before the show!  But you know what you are doing... ;)

I fully agree on the free squats, ain't nothing better for leg development IMO.

Yeah it did knock me out, was feeling close to puking at one point.

Yes you are so right about not training legs close to the show, blurrs the deffinition.  I will train legs next Sunday and that will be it till show time, almost a weeks rest  :)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #201 on: October 15, 2007, 08:26:02 PM »
OK, here's a question I have about squats...not sure if I can word this right, but hopefully.

You know how a lot people who squat do so with a slight bend at the hips to where their back end sort of sticks out, in doing so, although they're not really leaning forward, they're not straight up and down and there is a sort of a lean...does that all make sense? One of the ideas is that this keeps your knees from going out over your toes.

OK, so I don't like squatting like this, I prefer remaining perfectly erect and going straight up and down...so when I get down pretty low my knees will inevitably go out over my feet just a little bit.

Now, I used to squat the first way, but noticed it put too much strain on my lower back, plus I like the way the 2nd way feel more then the first on my legs.

What do you guys think? Again, I'm not sure if I'm wording all this correctly so that you can see what I'm talking about.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2007, 03:52:54 AM »
OK, here's a question I have about squats...not sure if I can word this right, but hopefully.

You know how a lot people who squat do so with a slight bend at the hips to where their back end sort of sticks out, in doing so, although they're not really leaning forward, they're not straight up and down and there is a sort of a lean...does that all make sense? One of the ideas is that this keeps your knees from going out over your toes.

OK, so I don't like squatting like this, I prefer remaining perfectly erect and going straight up and down...so when I get down pretty low my knees will inevitably go out over my feet just a little bit.

Now, I used to squat the first way, but noticed it put too much strain on my lower back, plus I like the way the 2nd way feel more then the first on my legs.

What do you guys think? Again, I'm not sure if I'm wording all this correctly so that you can see what I'm talking about.

I did squats last night and thought about this.  I tend to squat with a slight bend in my hips for the reasons you mentioned.  I don't bend forward too much cuz that can cause you to break form pretty badly, which is not good at all when you have heavy weight on your back.  I do stick my butt out a little bit and watch the knees carefully, but I keep my head up and try to keep most of the heaviness of the weight on my upper shoulders.
I find that I cannot go as low in the squat if I remain fully upright. 

:)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #203 on: October 26, 2007, 04:19:18 AM »
Last night's leg workout was a bitch.  I did something a little different:

- 5 sets of squats: first and last set a little lighter and higer reps (20), middle three sets heavy with 10 reps
- 3 supersets - leg extensions, seated hammy curl, lying hammy curl - 12-15 reps on each machine (OUCH)
- 4 sets of leg press on the sled

It doesn't sound like a lot but the supersets were a killer. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #204 on: October 26, 2007, 05:37:52 AM »
Last night's leg workout was a bitch.  I did something a little different:

- 5 sets of squats: first and last set a little lighter and higer reps (20), middle three sets heavy with 10 reps
- 3 supersets - leg extensions, seated hammy curl, lying hammy curl - 12-15 reps on each machine (OUCH)
- 4 sets of leg press on the sled

It doesn't sound like a lot but the supersets were a killer. 

Does sound killer Rip!  Im sure those supers hurt but im thinking it was those two sets of BIG compound moves the squats and leg presses are what kicked the major butt.

Sometimes I will do that as a shocker for me, 2 big exceresises like that in the same woirkout and it kills!!  Most of the time I just do one though for legs but will push hard on it for like 5 work sets.

Bet your legs will be nice and sore and in need of some luving attention  ;D

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #205 on: October 26, 2007, 05:39:22 AM »
Yo Luv2hurt, did you see that Rip is now modding the V board? You should go check it out, post pics etc. It's always nice to show support.
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2007, 05:44:55 AM »
Yo Luv2hurt, did you see that Rip is now modding the V board? You should go check it out, post pics etc. It's always nice to show support.

The V Board is not that kind of a board.  Seriously, cut the shit.  At least keep the shit in the V.

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #207 on: October 26, 2007, 05:45:54 AM »
The V Board is not that kind of a board.  Seriously, cut the shit.  At least keep the shit in the V.

What are you talking about? I was being nice.
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #208 on: October 26, 2007, 05:50:34 AM »
What are you talking about? I was being nice.

This is a thread about lower body training.  Why don't you post your last leg workout?

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2007, 05:54:48 AM »
This is a thread about lower body training.  Why don't you post your last leg workout?

Half of this thread is OT Rip, and of course I am not going to post my workouts in the girls section, thats just stupid. I guess being nice is frowned upon in this forum.
E

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #210 on: October 26, 2007, 05:57:43 AM »
Half of this thread is OT Rip, and of course I am not going to post my workouts in the girls section, thats just stupid. I guess being nice is frowned upon in this forum.

Nope, it's encouraged.  Thanks.   :)

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #211 on: October 26, 2007, 06:59:03 AM »

Nope, it's encouraged.  Thanks.   :)

Well since it is encouraged I would like to reiterate how much I think Luv2hurt should check out your brand new board, perhaps do a little flirting and post some pics :)
E

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #212 on: October 26, 2007, 07:07:18 AM »
Good luck this weekend LUV!

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #213 on: October 26, 2007, 07:18:11 AM »
Well since it is encouraged I would like to reiterate how much I think Luv2hurt should check out your brand new board, perhaps do a little flirting and post some pics :)

Well thank you danielson, I can feel the love.

Good luck this weekend LUV!

Will do DP!! Thanks man  :)

danielson

• Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: October 26, 2007, 07:19:16 AM »
Well thank you danielson, I can feel the love.

Will do DP!! Thanks man  :)

Seriously though, good luck this weekend.
E

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #215 on: October 26, 2007, 07:44:36 AM »
Seriously though, good luck this weekend.

Thanks Man!  :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2007, 06:02:46 PM »
Man had an awesome leg training day today.  Drank a bunch of coffee had some food and hit the gym about 10:30AM Man I love training on weekend mornings, Saturday is usually pretty busy but Sunday is the regulars not real busy but enough people to keep the energy up, I hate training in an empty gym.

Heres my work out today.  last time i squatted was about a month ago and that was just light pumping pretty much.  Man I was tired after this workout had to take a nap LOL.  Right now i weigh about 195 and still pretty lean from the comp.  This winter Iam pumped about and after the holidays is time to hit it hard, Rocky 4 style :D  I expect to get some personal records this winter and am training with one goal in mind to come in as freaky as I can for my next comps next year.  To be honest I'm feeling it now.  I wanna comp at a ripped, dry 195 next year and I will get this done.

Todays session was

Squats: barx20, 135x15, 185x8 (Ido this set for my knees sake and dont do any other types of warm ups before i squat) 225x12, 315x12, 405x11, 405x9, 315x18.  I have been really concentrating on my form on the squat and making sure I get deep enough, all these sets i went below parallel.  I will say this, if you have a lot left after you squat, you did not push em hard enough.  I know after I squat its all cake after that and if I walked out of the gym after the squats I would have done enough, cause the rest of the workout is just fluff.

One leg at a time leg press:  I just keep moving on these very little if any rest between sets.  2 plates total X18, 3 plates X15, 4 plates X12, 5 platesX 12.

Hammer leg extensions:  I rarely use this machine but think I will more it kicks ass!!  I did one leg at time with 50lbs for 10-12 reps, 4 Set's A very cool machine that gets overlooked in our gym, its the plate loaded type.

Hammer seated leg curls:  Plate loaded like the extension machine.  Another great machine I did 75lbs x12, 4 sets

Lying leg curls:  Tired by now pretty light maybe 150 max for 4X12

DB SLDL  4X12 65lb db's top set, just pumping up them hams.

That was it other than 30min on the elliptical trainer.

Man i know I'm gonna be sore, already am some.  I will be squatting 500lbs this winter for 6-8 reps that I know for sure ;)

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2007, 06:19:24 PM »
Luv, that is just a nasty leg treatment. You ought to roll some film for us all, your legs are impressive.
You wear out some mountian bikes ? You prolly able to peddal straight up a Utah ski hill.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2007, 07:06:24 PM »
Luv, that is just a nasty leg treatment. You ought to roll some film for us all, your legs are impressive.
You wear out some mountian bikes ? You prolly able to peddal straight up a Utah ski hill.

LOL thats funny you say that cause I jsut pulled my MTB out of the basement and was thinking about getting it ready to ride.  Needs a couple parts, I used to really be into it.  Years ago me and these bike hippies cut a bunch of single track and would ride the hell out of it.  I love to ride at night too, have all the lights.  Cool being in the woods when its so dark you can hardly see your hand in front of your face.  Fun to ride after a light dusting od snow too.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: November 12, 2007, 05:12:46 AM »
You'd like the western ski hills then. Snowbird or ALta or Briton in Utah are just awesome.
I think you can take the tram up at Snowbird and bike down in summer, but they got 14" of snow allready at Alta a couple weeks ago.  ;D

I rememberTom Platz said he used to wear out bike after bike. Wonder why?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: November 12, 2007, 01:12:11 PM »
Luv, that sounds like an awesome workout!  You are inspiring me now....
I have been sooo busy with things that I've only made it to the gym twice a week for the last two weeks, and those workouts were all chest workouts LOL.  I haven't lifted anything but chest in almost three weeks.   :-\

This is IT though, this week I am going to get the legs and back in as well...and I am gonna try to do something similar to the leg workout you just did.  Tell me, how sore are you now?  I am certain that I'll be crippled for four days.   ;D

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #221 on: November 12, 2007, 01:47:24 PM »
Luv, that sounds like an awesome workout!  You are inspiring me now....
I have been sooo busy with things that I've only made it to the gym twice a week for the last two weeks, and those workouts were all chest workouts LOL.  I haven't lifted anything but chest in almost three weeks.   :-\

This is IT though, this week I am going to get the legs and back in as well...and I am gonna try to do something similar to the leg workout you just did.  Tell me, how sore are you now?  I am certain that I'll be crippled for four days.   ;D

Well young lady lets get with the program  :-*

My legs are nice and sore, quads, hams and glutes, I love it!  Nothing feels better than knowing you took care of business in the gym......alright almost nothing  ;)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #222 on: November 16, 2007, 03:51:14 AM »
I finally sucked it up and did my first lower body workout in three weeks, even though I wasn't feeling very good.  I didn't manage to do a Luv-style workout, though...I think I need a couple of weeks to get back into the swing of things before I do anything crazy like that.   ;)

I kept the weight not-too-heavy and the reps somewhat high (10-15 range), and here's what I did:

-4 sets walking lunges with 45 pounds
-4 sets Smith Squats x 15
-3 sets seated hammy curls x 12
-3 sets lying hammy curls x 10
-4 sets leg extensions x 12
-2 sets outer thigh machine x 15 (I was waiting for the butt blaster)
-2 sets butt blaster x 12 on each leg

I'm already sore.   :'(

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #223 on: November 16, 2007, 05:11:21 AM »
I finally sucked it up and did my first lower body workout in three weeks, even though I wasn't feeling very good.  I didn't manage to do a Luv-style workout, though...I think I need a couple of weeks to get back into the swing of things before I do anything crazy like that.   ;)

I kept the weight not-too-heavy and the reps somewhat high (10-15 range), and here's what I did:

-4 sets walking lunges with 45 pounds
-4 sets Smith Squats x 15
-3 sets seated hammy curls x 12
-3 sets lying hammy curls x 10
-4 sets leg extensions x 12
-2 sets outer thigh machine x 15 (I was waiting for the butt blaster)
-2 sets butt blaster x 12 on each leg

I'm already sore.   :'(

So thats how you do it...the butt blaster  ;)  Cool rip sounds like a nice complete workout.  Good start towards easing back into it, I bet since its been a while you will be extra sore!

Rip you smith squat cause you hurt you back before right?  Being the devils advocate I'm thinking if you can do em there you can do em free weight?  Have you thought about trying to work back into free weight squats?  Maybe you do, it think i read that you do some in some of your work outs?  To ease back into em get up to 75-100lbs or so and just start adding 5-10 lbs each time you squat before you know it you will be repping 225.  At the beginning it will fell like you are holding back....and you will be but that is fine this will allow you to get the back and confidence strong as you work up.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2007, 07:51:01 AM »
So thats how you do it...the butt blaster  ;)  Cool rip sounds like a nice complete workout.  Good start towards easing back into it, I bet since its been a while you will be extra sore!

Rip you smith squat cause you hurt you back before right?  Being the devils advocate I'm thinking if you can do em there you can do em free weight?  Have you thought about trying to work back into free weight squats?  Maybe you do, it think i read that you do some in some of your work outs?  To ease back into em get up to 75-100lbs or so and just start adding 5-10 lbs each time you squat before you know it you will be repping 225.  At the beginning it will fell like you are holding back....and you will be but that is fine this will allow you to get the back and confidence strong as you work up.

LOL I used to do the butt blaster all the time, but I think that squats, lunges, and deadlifts do a better job on the butt. 

I actually do free squats most of the time.  I don't like the Smith machine too much...the only benefit to the Smith Machine is that you can really get your feet way out in front of you and lean back on the bar, so you are hitting A LOT of butt when you do the squats, and you can go nice and deep without worrying about falling down.  I did them with relatively light weight, 35 pounds on each side, very deep, 15 reps. 

I prefer free squats, and I usually do my working sets with 155-165 pounds for 8 reps or so, at least that's where I was a few weeks ago. 
I did the Smith squats this time because I was already feeling bad after the lunges, and I KNEW that I was gonna be hurtin', which I AM. 
I wanted to deadlift, but my back was too damn sore from the back workout the day before.   :P