Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 350852 times)

davidpaul

• Getbig V
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2007, 03:48:51 AM »
I'm making some progress on leg training lately.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2007, 04:19:23 AM »
I'm making some progress on leg training lately.

Awesome man! What stuff have you been doing? 

Cool to hear about someone who is doing more for legs.  I was in the gym, just finished with the weights and was getting ready to do cardio and this dude walks by I have not seen in a while and we talked for a min. well i was like "hey I don't wanna hold up your workout" his reply was "no big deal, I'm just doing legs"  I was thinking JUST doing legs?  Man that needs to be the day that you give it all you got and you gotta love it  ;D

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2007, 04:21:55 AM »
Awesome man! What stuff have you been doing? 

Cool to hear about someone who is doing more for legs.  I was in the gym, just finished with the weights and was getting ready to do cardio and this dude walks by I have not seen in a while and we talked for a min. well i was like "hey I don't wanna hold up your workout" his reply was "no big deal, I'm just doing legs"  I was thinking JUST doing legs?  Man that needs to be the day that you give it all you got and you gotta love it  ;D

I just have been generally training harder on legs, more sets, more intense.

Yeah leg training is the shit.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #228 on: November 28, 2007, 06:29:15 PM »
Squatting question...and this only applies to those who use a belt. I know some may come out of the wood work and say belts are stupid but whatever, I always use one on my heavy sets...anything over 400lbs gets a belt slapped on, and lately, since I tweaked my back a few wks ago, anything over 315.

OK so question, you always hear from the powerlifting gurus to push your gut against your belt when squatting, for 2 reasons: it gives you more power, and it protects your spine a bit more by doing this.

Then there are those that say, keep your gut sucked in because with the heavy weight sets, letting your gut push out can distend your stomach even more.

How do you guys do it? I've always kept my gut sucked in as tight as I can, but if this can negatively affect my back, then perhaps it's not the best approach.

Maybe a dumb ass question but, hey, maybe I'm a dumb ass guy, lol!!!

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #229 on: November 29, 2007, 04:44:08 AM »
Squatting question...and this only applies to those who use a belt. I know some may come out of the wood work and say belts are stupid but whatever, I always use one on my heavy sets...anything over 400lbs gets a belt slapped on, and lately, since I tweaked my back a few wks ago, anything over 315.

OK so question, you always hear from the powerlifting gurus to push your gut against your belt when squatting, for 2 reasons: it gives you more power, and it protects your spine a bit more by doing this.

Then there are those that say, keep your gut sucked in because with the heavy weight sets, letting your gut push out can distend your stomach even more.

How do you guys do it? I've always kept my gut sucked in as tight as I can, but if this can negatively affect my back, then perhaps it's not the best approach.

Maybe a dumb ass question but, hey, maybe I'm a dumb ass guy, lol!!!

If you suck in the belt is pointless.
Push out also give a bigger base. Bigger base is stronger and more stable.
Cince it down TIGHT, then push out.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #230 on: December 05, 2007, 01:11:02 PM »
I've really been focusing on my bench press training, and because of that, I have let WAY too much time pass between leg workouts.  I did a leg workout on Monday, and I am practically SICK today from the leg pain.  I can hardly move.  My lower back down to my knees are completely destroyed.   :'(
It wasn't even that crazy of a workout.  It had been a while, so I went with lighter weights and higher reps.

Here's what I did:

- 5 sets of Luv Lunges with 45 pounds: first three sets were 12 on each leg;
last two sets were 10 on each leg, supersetted with side to side lunges and plie' squats
- 3 sets of straight leg deads with 95 pounds, 18-20 reps
- 5 sets of leg extensions, 12 reps, last two sets were supersets with ab crunches

That's IT...and I am dying.   :-[

:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: December 05, 2007, 02:14:11 PM »
I've really been focusing on my bench press training, and because of that, I have let WAY too much time pass between leg workouts.  I did a leg workout on Monday, and I am practically SICK today from the leg pain.  I can hardly move.  My lower back down to my knees are completely destroyed.   :'(
It wasn't even that crazy of a workout.  It had been a while, so I went with lighter weights and higher reps.

Here's what I did:

- 5 sets of Luv Lunges with 45 pounds: first three sets were 12 on each leg;
last two sets were 10 on each leg, supersetted with side to side lunges and plie' squats
- 3 sets of straight leg deads with 95 pounds, 18-20 reps
- 5 sets of leg extensions, 12 reps, last two sets were supersets with ab crunches

That's IT...and I am dying.   :-[

luvy lunges will put the hurt on even highly trained athletes like thier inventor  ;D 

My legs were so sore and tight from doing them and other stuff that i hurt them doing back yesterday!! My hamstrings felt like a rubber band in one of those wind up propeller toy airplanes.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: December 06, 2007, 04:18:24 AM »
luvy lunges will put the hurt on even highly trained athletes like thier inventor  ;D 

My legs were so sore and tight from doing them and other stuff that i hurt them doing back yesterday!! My hamstrings felt like a rubber band in one of those wind up propeller toy airplanes.

Dude, I am on day three and I still can't sit on the floor with my legs out straight in front of me.   :P

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #233 on: December 10, 2007, 05:30:55 PM »

Dude, I am on day three and I still can't sit on the floor with my legs out straight in front of me.   :P

LOL I dont think I can do that any time  :D

Trained legs on Sunday, yep Luv praying at the squat rack alter.  It went a little something like this.

Squats super setted with hack squats:  I loaded 2 plates per side on the hack squat and that is where I stayed for them.

Warm up sets barx20, 135x15, 185x10, 225x12.  Work sets were 315x12, 15 reps on the hack.  405x10, 12 hard reps on the hack.  405x8, ? very woosy reps on the hack. 315x15, 12 brutal almost, puking reps on the hack. 315x 9, ? dazed reps on the hack.

one leg extensions 4x12-15 maybe 40-50lbs no rest one after the other.

Then I rested a few mins and did hamstrings seated curls, standing curls and SLDLs to finish.

30 mins eliptical trainer

That was it short but sweet  ;D

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #234 on: December 10, 2007, 06:06:50 PM »
sweet ass workout bro, thats some heavy ass weight, doing supersets!

great job

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: December 10, 2007, 08:06:47 PM »
sweet ass workout bro, thats some heavy ass weight, doing supersets!

great job

Thanks man!  It did have me feeling shot the rest of the day.  Man this may sound obvious but for quads I think they need lots of weight and plenty of reps.  I guess what Im saying is they will probally grow more squatting 405 for 12 than they would doing 500 for 4-6.  Same for the leg press and hack squat.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #236 on: December 10, 2007, 08:53:33 PM »
Thanks man!  It did have me feeling shot the rest of the day.  Man this may sound obvious but for quads I think they need lots of weight and plenty of reps.  I guess what Im saying is they will probally grow more squatting 405 for 12 than they would doing 500 for 4-6.  Same for the leg press and hack squat.

i think the same thing bro, the only quad exercise i do for lower reps are front squats, cos i do believe they hit the quads awesomely, but they cos so many muscles to be used as stabilizers. u can only do them for so many reps before ur rhomboids, abs, traps, and delts start to fatigue severely

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #237 on: December 10, 2007, 09:11:13 PM »
i think the same thing bro, the only quad exercise i do for lower reps are front squats, cos i do believe they hit the quads awesomely, but they cos so many muscles to be used as stabilizers. u can only do them for so many reps before ur rhomboids, abs, traps, and delts start to fatigue severely
Nothing on this earth makes my bi's cramp up like front squats...doesn't matter how high I put the bar up on my shoulders, once the weight gets to around 275lbs usually 8reps is all I can take...legs could take more, but arms cannot stand any more...would like to fix this cause it's kind of irritating.

L2H, super set squats and hacks...that's major hardcore bro! I haven't been doing too many super sets lately, but might give that a shot sometime...should be hell, lol! Used to do hacks super set with lunges, that was always a good pairing IMO.

My favorite insanity leg day routine I used to do with an old training partner. Giant set, squats, leg ext. lying leg curls. 15 reps on each exercise, we went through it 5 times with a moderate rest in between each cycle...was pretty agonizing...we only did this 3x but that was enough, lol!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: December 11, 2007, 10:53:30 AM »
Nice workout Luv, you are inspiring me.   :)

I cannot seem to get comfortable with front squats BTW, it is SO hard to maintain balance.  I can't even do them very well on the Smith machine, which I would rather not use anyway.  I have to go real light if I do them at all.  I like them alot because I can go pretty deep, but I just can't get comfortable with the weight on my front delts.
What's the trick to balancing the weight?

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #239 on: December 11, 2007, 01:37:16 PM »

I cannot seem to get comfortable with front squats BTW, it is SO hard to maintain balance.  I can't even do them very well on the Smith machine, which I would rather not use anyway.  I have to go real light if I do them at all.  I like them alot because I can go pretty deep, but I just can't get comfortable with the weight on my front delts.

Yeah, it is tough but it gets easier the more you do it.
For me, keeping it really close to my neck helps out a lot...staying extra up right helps a lot...keeping your elbows pointed slightly upwards is also a must IMO...especially when it's heavy.

Now I'm not making this up.
Has anyone seen the old clip of Lee Haney doing front squats with 225lbs while the bar rested on top of his pecs? No hands!!!
Anyway, I've always wanted to ask him about this. Lee actually comes to my gym every now and then...usually on a Sunday afternoon...his daughter goes to school here, so when he's in town he stops by the Arnold jr. gym...anyway, I've missed him every single time and just hear about it from some of my friends at the gym. Everyone says he is always really nice and easy to talk to.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #240 on: December 11, 2007, 07:11:38 PM »

when u lift your arms up straight out in front of you, there is a little "divot" that appears, thats where u put the bar when u front squat. U should be able to hold ur arms out parallell to the ground without the bar moving. Thats how u know your good, then u can begin. Also keep your weight back on your heels, and make sure u drive through your heels up like ur trying to jump through the ceiling.

Hope this helps.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: December 11, 2007, 08:26:38 PM »

Well thats good Rip, big things ahead for you next summer  :)

Front squats are pretty much just uncomfortable no matter what you do.  They are hard though.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #242 on: December 12, 2007, 01:49:18 AM »
Hit quads tonight......Did the only two leg exercises that u need to get nice legs (IMHO)

Supersetted

Squats and Leg presses

Did some warm of each and then it was battle time.

Squats 135x10 w/ 1 plate ( on each side) leg press x12 ( took 60-90 sec rest between sets)
225x10 w/ 3 plates (on each side) leg press x12
275x10 w/ 3 plates (on each side) leg press x12

Then did 3 sets of db split squats 35lbs x 10 reps each leg ( 30 sec between sets)

Then did 3 sets of donkey calf raises to failure.

Thats it got a super good pump in my quads and went home.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #243 on: December 12, 2007, 04:35:00 AM »
Hit quads tonight......Did the only two leg exercises that u need to get nice legs (IMHO)

Supersetted

Squats and Leg presses

Did some warm of each and then it was battle time.

Squats 135x10 w/ 1 plate ( on each side) leg press x12 ( took 60-90 sec rest between sets)
275x10 w/ 3 plates (on each side) leg press x12

Then did 3 sets of db split squats 35lbs x 10 reps each leg ( 30 sec between sets)

Then did 3 sets of donkey calf raises to failure.

Thats it got a super good pump in my quads and went home.

Nice work!  Bet that gets you breathing hard and the legs burning.  It really hard putting 2 big compound moves together in a superset, as a matter of fact most people will pair a isolation exercises with a compound one.  But we are just sick that way and find it fun to destroy the muscle and basically the whole body.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: December 12, 2007, 06:31:10 AM »
Thanks for the tips on front squats, I will see how it goes next time I do legs.   :)

Now what do you guys think are the big differences between regular squats and front squats in terms of the muscles they target and the results you get from them?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: December 12, 2007, 12:13:20 PM »
Thanks for the tips on front squats, I will see how it goes next time I do legs.   :)

Now what do you guys think are the big differences between regular squats and front squats in terms of the muscles they target and the results you get from them?

not to offend the guys who do em i think they are a waste of time.  a novelty if you will.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #246 on: December 12, 2007, 07:55:18 PM »

Contrary to what luv2hurt says :)

I think they are a better overall exercise for the quads than squats, because they take alot of the glutes and hams out of the movement, and put more stress on your quadriceps..........

But thats just my 2cents. :)

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: December 12, 2007, 07:59:01 PM »
Nice work!  Bet that gets you breathing hard and the legs burning.  It really hard putting 2 big compound moves together in a superset, as a matter of fact most people will pair a isolation exercises with a compound one.  But we are just sick that way and find it fun to destroy the muscle and basically the whole body.

Yea I love doing supersets with compound movements for legs..........Since they can take the abuse.

I cant do it for chest, because my second pressing exercise would suffer, and I cant do it for back really either.

So legs take the beating.......I just cut the volume AND TURN UP THE INTENSITY!!!!!!!

And yea dude, my lungs were about to explode. So I didnt do any cardio, that was my cardio lol. I was drenched with sweat as well.

Tomorrow is back and hams, not sure what im going to do yet. I know im going to do some heavy rack deads, but after that only god knows what im going to do, im trying to be more instinctual now. I feel I grow better when I do what "feels" right.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #248 on: December 12, 2007, 09:01:07 PM »

I think they are a better overall exercise for the quads than squats, because they take alot of the glutes and hams out of the movement, and put more stress on your quadriceps..........

Agreed...very similar to Hacks IMO, at least it feels that way to me.

Did legs tonight....my legs are killing me...that is all.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: December 12, 2007, 09:38:41 PM »

Points well taken  :)  I think you can overload the quads better with regular squats though, because you can use more weight and push for more reps because your not fighting to breath or hold the bar in position so much.  I have always used a narrow stance, about shoulder width or less to squat and feel this also helps target the quads.

I was never much of a leg presser for most of the years i trained, always a squat feind but have come to really think the leg press hits the quads excellent.  It does not seem to hit the hams to hard though.  So in the last few years I have done more leg presses.  Glad I built my leg foundation on squats though, you can tell the difference in the density of people who squat and those who dont.  Of course that all assumes they are done properly and with enough intensity.