Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 351876 times)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #250 on: December 12, 2007, 10:03:13 PM »
Points well taken  :)  I think you can overload the quads better with regular squats though, because you can use more weight and push for more reps because your not fighting to breath or hold the bar in position so much.  I have always used a narrow stance, about shoulder width or less to squat and feel this also helps target the quads.

I was never much of a leg presser for most of the years i trained, always a squat feind but have come to really think the leg press hits the quads excellent.  It does not seem to hit the hams to hard though.  So in the last few years I have done more leg presses.  Glad I built my leg foundation on squats though, you can tell the difference in the density of people who squat and those who dont.  Of course that all assumes they are done properly and with enough intensity.
Are you implying some people don't squat correctly? Say it ain't so! :'(

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #251 on: December 12, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »

Honestly, I think that u can squat no more than 225lbs, and get great results, if u squat with perfect form.

Like last night I saw a guy at the gym squatting 315 for about 8 or 10 reps, but his form was horrible, and his quads were the size of my calves, it was disgusting to watch.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #252 on: December 13, 2007, 04:27:09 AM »

Honestly, I think that u can squat no more than 225lbs, and get great results, if u squat with perfect form.

Like last night I saw a guy at the gym squatting 315 for about 8 or 10 reps, but his form was horrible, and his quads were the size of my calves, it was disgusting to watch.

Yeah thats what i see most of the time is guys or girls trying to use too much weight and not getting down far enough in the squat or all sorts of exercises for that matter.  They all stop short of the sticking point. 

LOL yes so many of these big weight handlers have no development of the muscles they are working, I wonder why  ::).  Kind of like the guy on the bench who goes down about 3 inches and calls it a rep, then tells all his co Hort's how he benches big weight.  I don't get this mind set, I see it from older guys a lot they must feel they have to lift X amount of weight for their egos. For me now I don't worry about impressining anyone in the gym, alright maybe the little blonde hottie a little LOL.  I just lift as much as I can that day and don't stress, some days its more than the others, but thats normal.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #253 on: December 24, 2007, 01:28:59 AM »
Let's get some butt shots up on this thread.
!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #254 on: December 26, 2007, 06:24:16 PM »
Let's get some butt shots up on this thread.

I'm out of town this week, but I can accomodate this request next week.   ;)

:)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #255 on: January 02, 2008, 07:28:27 AM »
OK, a few butt shots.   :D

First is Marika Johanson (sp?) who always has crazy glutes! 

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #256 on: January 02, 2008, 07:29:25 AM »
Next a few random butts... ;)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: January 02, 2008, 07:33:46 AM »
And of course everyone's favorite butt...Mavi's.   I don't even think she competes as a BB, but it doesn't really matter.  8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #258 on: January 02, 2008, 08:57:56 AM »
 :o  WOW Lots of nice butts there!!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #259 on: January 03, 2008, 03:54:43 AM »
I did a leg workout last night at my new gym.  A lot of the equipment is different, so it was cool to try some new stuff out.  I kept the whole workout kinda light though....I pulled something in my left quad on new year's eve.   ::)

-I used a Hammer Strength Linear Hack Press machine (see below), which I had never used before.  It's similar to the hack squat, so I'm psyched about that, as I haven't had a HS machine in my gym for a few years.  4 sets...the machine starts at 60 pounds, so I did sets +50 x12, +70 x 12, +90 x 12, and +110 x 10.
-3 sets seated hammy curls
-2 sets outer thigh (while I was waiting for the leg extension)
-4 sets leg extentions
-3 sets straight leg deads, not very heavy, I think it was 115 x 12.  I was tired.   :P
-4 Supersets of this Hammer Strength tibia machine that my hubby wanted me to try, and the seated calf raise.  Never used a tibia machine before LOL (see below).
-I tried out this LifeFitness glute machine, it's like a standing butt blaster, it's kind of cool but it works your quads alot.  I did 2 light sets x 12 on each leg. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #260 on: January 03, 2008, 04:34:24 AM »
Cool I have never seen that HS Hack squater looks good.  We have that Tibia machine too and that seated calf raise.  That calf raise is where I was able to attempt those Glute/ham drops, actually works pretty well for em.

I did a pretty good leg workout Sunday and am just starting to not hurt.  I went in thinking I would train "light and take it easy" that workout cause my LT leg has been a little sore near my hip.  Well I should have know better for cause for some reason I cant hold back when i train legs  :'(

I figured if I pre exhausted that would keep it lighter and it did to some extent.

Leg extensions 6x12-20
Leg presses 5x8-20 Last set drop down from 10 plates x8 strip to 5 plates x20
Luvy Lunges   :D 4x10

Seated leg curls 4x10-15
standing leg curls 4x1012
SLDL 3x10-12 got up to 315 on the last set which was feeling HEAVY at that point.

That was it but quads and hams were hurting for a while.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: January 03, 2008, 06:48:59 AM »
Cool I have never seen that HS Hack squater looks good.  We have that Tibia machine too and that seated calf raise.  That calf raise is where I was able to attempt those Glute/ham drops, actually works pretty well for em.

I did a pretty good leg workout Sunday and am just starting to not hurt.  I went in thinking I would train "light and take it easy" that workout cause my LT leg has been a little sore near my hip.  Well I should have know better for cause for some reason I cant hold back when i train legs  :'(

I figured if I pre exhausted that would keep it lighter and it did to some extent.

Leg extensions 6x12-20
Leg presses 5x8-20 Last set drop down from 10 plates x8 strip to 5 plates x20
Luvy Lunges   :D 4x10

Seated leg curls 4x10-15
standing leg curls 4x1012
SLDL 3x10-12 got up to 315 on the last set which was feeling HEAVY at that point.

That was it but quads and hams were hurting for a while.

OUCH!  SLDL's are HARD when you leave them to do at the very end!   :o

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2008, 09:24:46 PM »
Started training with a lower volume and hit legs HARD yesterday this is what I did.

1. Leg extensions 3 warmups and one all out set x12.
2. Front squats: 1 warm up then .........2x4
3. Sissy Hack squats supersetted with Sissy squats 2x12 each.

4. Feet high on board Leg Press ( hittin the hammies) 2 warmups and then...........2x12 to failure
5. Lying leg press 2x4-6

6. Donkey Calf raises 3xfailure.

My quads are feeling it today. :)
Went to failure on all sets except warm ups.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #263 on: January 04, 2008, 03:51:38 AM »
What are sissy hack squats?

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #264 on: January 04, 2008, 04:02:00 AM »

the old school guys did them without any equipment,

you use this piece of equipment to do them.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: January 04, 2008, 04:18:54 AM »

So what's the difference between sissy hack squats and sissy squats? 

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #266 on: January 04, 2008, 04:25:53 AM »

So what's the difference between sissy hack squats and sissy squats? 

dont know  :P

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #267 on: January 04, 2008, 04:31:22 AM »
Started training with a lower volume and hit legs HARD yesterday this is what I did.

1. Leg extensions 3 warmups and one all out set x12.
2. Front squats: 1 warm up then .........2x4
3. Sissy Hack squats supersetted with Sissy squats 2x12 each.

4. Feet high on board Leg Press ( hittin the hammies) 2 warmups and then...........2x12 to failure
5. Lying leg press 2x4-6

6. Donkey Calf raises 3xfailure.

My quads are feeling it today. :)
Went to failure on all sets except warm ups.

What made you wanna go low volume?  Just trying something new?

Man those always looked way too hard on the knees for me.

tigereyes

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #268 on: January 04, 2008, 05:43:03 AM »
I will occasionally do a "sissy squat" type exercise...  I use the lying leg press machine (where you are basically parallel to the floor....you know, the girly leg press, LOL).  So you lie down with feet on the platform, and lift your butt up off the sled so there is no angle at the hips, and then perform the press from that position.

Sorry, I have no pictures , and I am bad at explaining things  :-[....but if you can figure out what I'm trying to describe, its a very good exercise for quad sweep

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #269 on: January 04, 2008, 12:52:33 PM »

They are sissy squats on a hack squat machine lol. Very hard to explain but u put your feet close together near the top of the board. Lift your hips totally off the pad, get on  your toes and go down as far as u can go. Its a really good exercise, but its hard to explain, ill look for pics for you. That will explain it better.

Its a Milos Sarcev favourite lol. A few sets of those and some insulin and you'll have legs like Milos :)

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #270 on: January 04, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »
What made you wanna go low volume?  Just trying something new?

Man those always looked way too hard on the knees for me.

They arent really hard on the knees at all lol, but they sure do blow the quads up :)

The reason I went lower volume is because as a totally natural ectomorph, its proabably the best way for me to train. But I like to mix it up and go higher volume for about half the year and lower volume for about half the year (split up in 3 month or so cycles) it really maximizes my training.

But I actually do prefer the lower volume. In the next few weeks ill be cutting the # of sets and training more intense, adding rest pause sets, drop sets, negatives and whatnot, it will be intense.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #271 on: January 04, 2008, 01:49:37 PM »
They arent really hard on the knees at all lol, but they sure do blow the quads up :)

The reason I went lower volume is because as a totally natural ectomorph, its proabably the best way for me to train. But I like to mix it up and go higher volume for about half the year and lower volume for about half the year (split up in 3 month or so cycles) it really maximizes my training.

But I actually do prefer the lower volume. In the next few weeks ill be cutting the # of sets and training more intense, adding rest pause sets, drop sets, negatives and whatnot, it will be intense.

Well I got older knees then LOL

Any time I see an exercise where your knees are that far out in front of your feet in the bottom position its too abusive for me, IMO its very stressfull on them.  I work hard at trying to keep my knees over my feet as much as possible.

Hey bro keep us updated on how this new training style works out for you.

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: January 05, 2008, 05:44:21 PM »
I do legs twice a week currently, and have been focusing more on hamstrings the past few months.

I do most of the mentioned exercises, and think long supersets work well for legs.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #273 on: January 05, 2008, 06:51:07 PM »
I do legs twice a week currently, and have been focusing more on hamstrings the past few months.

I do most of the mentioned exercises, and think long supersets work well for legs.

Looking solid man!!  Hams looking good!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #274 on: January 06, 2008, 08:01:08 AM »

Jesus Christ.  Awesome hams.   8)