Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 352058 times)

davidpaul

• Getbig V
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #275 on: January 07, 2008, 02:05:44 AM »
thanks for the props guys.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #276 on: January 15, 2008, 04:30:30 AM »
My biggest goal last off-season was to grow my legs for BB, so I trained them twice a week for several months.  This off-season, I have been focusing on other things (i.e., bench press), and I'll admit that I've slacked on the legs a bit.  It might just be my imagination, but I swear my quads have shrunk, and I know they are not as strong as they were last year.

I'm gonna switch things up a bit with my leg training...primarily, I am going to up the weight and drop the reps significantly.  I'll be shooting for 6-8 reps MAX on my working sets for the next few months on most of my leg exercises.  I'm gonna try to get some baseline numbers later this week and see if I can improve on them by April, which is when I have to start dieting. 
:)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #277 on: January 15, 2008, 04:56:11 AM »
My biggest goal last off-season was to grow my legs for BB, so I trained them twice a week for several months.  This off-season, I have been focusing on other things (i.e., bench press), and I'll admit that I've slacked on the legs a bit.  It might just be my imagination, but I swear my quads have shrunk, and I know they are not as strong as they were last year.

I'm gonna switch things up a bit with my leg training...primarily, I am going to up the weight and drop the reps significantly.  I'll be shooting for 6-8 reps MAX on my working sets for the next few months on most of my leg exercises.  I'm gonna try to get some baseline numbers later this week and see if I can improve on them by April, which is when I have to start dieting. 

Dang Rip That Diet is comming up fast  :P

Yeah i bet if you have not been training your legs much they probally did lose some size.  I like your plan to get them bigger.  I feel the best thing for making em grow though is Higher reps and lots of weight.  Yeah i know of course, right lol.  I guess what I'm saying is too many people I see do not push all the way through a set on legs, squats primarily.  They have a weight they feel they can do 8 with but if they really did push hard enough they could get 12.  This is very uncomfortable and lots will not put in that kind of effort.  People should have to stop and take a couple breaths between reps towards the end of the set this will overload your muscles big time and also your CNS so once a week is about it I feel for heavy leg training.  You should almost be a little butterflies nervous or scared before you train legs cause you know you have to get under big weights and its gonna take all you got.

I think legs need plenty of time under tension and that tension needs to be significant.  This is the main reason you see so many trainees walking around with long shorts or sweats and a tank top, cause if they even train legs at all its just a few half ass sets, most unless they are very serious about a complete physique will not put in the work necessary.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #278 on: January 15, 2008, 05:05:31 AM »
Dang Rip That Diet is comming up fast  :P

Yeah i bet if you have not been training your legs much they probally did lose some size.  I like your plan to get them bigger.  I feel the best thing for making em grow though is Higher reps and lots of weight.  Yeah i know of course, right lol.  I guess what I'm saying is too many people I see do not push all the way through a set on legs, squats primarily.  They have a weight they feel they can do 8 with but if they really did push hard enough they could get 12.  This is very uncomfortable and lots will not put in that kind of effort.  People should have to stop and take a couple breaths between reps towards the end of the set this will overload your muscles big time and also your CNS so once a week is about it I feel for heavy leg training.  You should almost be a little butterflies nervous or scared before you train legs cause you know you have to get under big weights and its gonna take all you got.

I think legs need plenty of time under tension and that tension needs to be significant.  This is the main reason you see so many trainees walking around with long shorts or sweats and a tank top, cause if they even train legs at all its just a few half ass sets, most unless they are very serious about a complete physique will not put in the work necessary.

Indeed.  I get that nervous feeling when I bench these days! 
I've been doing the higher reps on legs, but not as much weight as I should be doing to make them grow.  I can put size on my legs pretty easily, so it's just a matter of sucking up the pain and going for the bigger weight.  I'll shoot for 6-8 but push it to 10-12 if I know I can do it.   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2008, 05:30:15 AM »

Indeed.  I get that nervous feeling when I bench these days!  I've been doing the higher reps on legs, but not as much weight as I should be doing to make them grow.  I can put size on my legs pretty easily, so it's just a matter of sucking up the pain and going for the bigger weight.  I'll shoot for 6-8 but push it to 10-12 if I know I can do it.   8)

See you know the feeling  :)  Sure sign you are working as hard as you can and then some.  8)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #280 on: January 20, 2008, 06:33:22 AM »
I did a leg workout yesterday...My legs are not terribly strong right now.  I squatted 165 for 8 without too much difficulty, and I'm not too sore today, but I would like to get some better numbers going and see how much I can add to them before April/May.

I got a Titan competition belt recently, primarily for benching, but I've decided not to use it for benching.  It's a SWEET belt.
I took it to the gym yesterday and squatted with it...first time using a belt for squats.  It felt OK, it MAY have given me a little more confidence, but that may be about it. 

I've never been a belt user but I want to make use of this belt since it's mine now, and it's nice.  What are your opinions on using belts regularly for squatting and/or deadlifting?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #281 on: January 20, 2008, 07:54:50 AM »
I did a leg workout yesterday...My legs are not terribly strong right now.  I squatted 165 for 8 without too much difficulty, and I'm not too sore today, but I would like to get some better numbers going and see how much I can add to them before April/May.

I got a Titan competition belt recently, primarily for benching, but I've decided not to use it for benching.  It's a SWEET belt.
I took it to the gym yesterday and squatted with it...first time using a belt for squats.  It felt OK, it MAY have given me a little more confidence, but that may be about it. 

I've never been a belt user but I want to make use of this belt since it's mine now, and it's nice.  What are your opinions on using belts regularly for squatting and/or deadlifting?

Sounds nice Rip.  Personally I usually were a belt, just a typical 4 inch belt for all weight training.  Its probally not needed all the time but having it on is a constant reminder to always lift properly, even in things like just unracking DB's or loading plates.

I would definatly use a belt for your work sets on the Leg press, hack squat, squat, DL, STLDs, overhead presses, rowing excersises.

Belt should be worn below your navel, lately I have been using my fat gut as a way to position it  :'( :'(

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #282 on: January 20, 2008, 11:59:43 AM »
Belts on heavy squats, deads & rows. I don't understand the logic of not using it with those lifts...why risk it?

Using it on every lift like L2H does, I don't see how it cold hurt anything but I'm not sure if it's really necessary. No offense great "Hurt" one ;D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #283 on: January 20, 2008, 03:08:01 PM »
This is the belt I got.  It's a Titan competition belt.  It's really nice...custom made for me, and it has a double hook.  I paid pretty good money for it, so I'm gonna make use of it...probably not for benching but for something.  I've never been much of an equipment user (belts, wraps, straps), but I'll use it for the big stuff.  It's STIFF!

That reminds me, AJ can you PM me the info about those grips/straps you had in the gym when we trained together?   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #284 on: January 20, 2008, 05:07:36 PM »
Belts on heavy squats, deads & rows. I don't understand the logic of not using it with those lifts...why risk it?

Using it on every lift like L2H does, I don't see how it cold hurt anything but I'm not sure if it's really necessary. No offense great "Hurt" one ;D

No offense taken, damn I even use it for abs and cardio  :D  LOL Dont want to throw your back out LOL J/K

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2008, 01:18:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure I did some damage to my legs today.  I've been trying to step it up a bit since I slacked for a while, and I will probably pay for this one.
My new gym has this LOOOOOOONG hallway that is great for walking lunges, so I gave it a go today.  I didn't realize how long it was till I got down and back and had done like 24 reps per leg LOL.

---Walking lunges - 1 set 40 pound barbell x 24; 4 sets 50 pound barbell x 10
---Straight Leg Deads - 95 x 16; 3 sets 145 x 10 (my lower back is still tweaked and I haven't been able to get to the chiro for 2 weeks)
---Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Leg Extensions (I love this machine) - 45 per side x 15; 55 per side x 12; 2 sets 70 per side x 8.  I dropsetted the last set to 45 per side and did 8 more.
---SUPERSETS - Hammer Stregth Calf Extension (70 pounds per side) and Seated Hammy Curls - 5 sets, about 12-15 reps on each exercise
---Then I did 3 extra sets of unweighted calf raises for my poor little left calf that always seems to lag behind.   :-[

I almost did the lower back machine at the end, but I am working with my bench shirt tomorrow and don't want my back to be sore.  The SLDLs will probably make it sore anyway.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2008, 06:36:06 PM »
I'm pretty sure I did some damage to my legs today.  I've been trying to step it up a bit since I slacked for a while, and I will probably pay for this one.
My new gym has this LOOOOOOONG hallway that is great for walking lunges, so I gave it a go today.  I didn't realize how long it was till I got down and back and had done like 24 reps per leg LOL.

---Walking lunges - 1 set 40 pound barbell x 24; 4 sets 50 pound barbell x 10
---Straight Leg Deads - 95 x 16; 3 sets 145 x 10 (my lower back is still tweaked and I haven't been able to get to the chiro for 2 weeks)
---Hammer Strength Plate Loaded Leg Extensions (I love this machine) - 45 per side x 15; 55 per side x 12; 2 sets 70 per side x 8.  I dropsetted the last set to 45 per side and did 8 more.
---SUPERSETS - Hammer Stregth Calf Extension (70 pounds per side) and Seated Hammy Curls - 5 sets, about 12-15 reps on each exercise
---Then I did 3 extra sets of unweighted calf raises for my poor little left calf that always seems to lag behind.   :-[

I almost did the lower back machine at the end, but I am working with my bench shirt tomorrow and don't want my back to be sore.  The SLDLs will probably make it sore anyway.

Good looking workout Ripper!  I like that hammer leg extension too, it has a good feel and is hard.  Sounds like you are liking the new gym!  Very cool cause when the prep for the nat's starts its ON baby!  You are on a roll and nothing can stop you  :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #287 on: January 26, 2008, 06:45:01 PM »
Good looking workout Ripper!  I like that hammer leg extension too, it has a good feel and is hard.  Sounds like you are liking the new gym!  Very cool cause when the prep for the nat's starts its ON baby!  You are on a roll and nothing can stop you  :)

Yes, I am trying to prepare myself for that now lol...physically and mentally.  I still have about three months.
I need to get to my chiropractor ASAP so that I can start going a bit heavier.  Have I mentioned the benefits of chiropractic care lately?  ;)

www.nfldoc.com   8)

I LOVE the new gym.  The Hammer Strength equipment is great, and they have tons of it.  The HS Leg Extension is my new favorite leg machine!

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #288 on: January 26, 2008, 11:03:22 PM »
Get your ass under that squat rack RIP!!   ;D

But good looking workout there, I noticed the legs really love higher reps, and you did a whole lotta reps there.

How long did that training session take?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #289 on: January 27, 2008, 07:14:03 AM »
Get your ass under that squat rack RIP!!   ;D

But good looking workout there, I noticed the legs really love higher reps, and you did a whole lotta reps there.

How long did that training session take?

It took about an hour and fifteen minutes, and I am SORE.  I almost did squats too (for you, flex  ;)), but now I am glad I didn't.  The walking lunges hit my arse pretty good. 

I also am sick with a cold, and I totally felt it coming on during that workout.  My energy was draining fast, and I was more out of breath than usual from the lunges.  Now I'm kinda feeling crappy.   >:(

I'm still planning on switching things up and going heavier with lower reps for a little while, but I gotta get better and get my back fixed up first.  I tend to prefer the high reps on legs, but I figure I'll give low reps a try.  I'll be doing plenty of high reps again during my contest prep.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #290 on: January 27, 2008, 09:16:47 AM »

It took about an hour and fifteen minutes, and I am SORE.  I almost did squats too (for you, flex  ;)), but now I am glad I didn't.  The walking lunges hit my arse pretty good. 

I also am sick with a cold, and I totally felt it coming on during that workout.  My energy was draining fast, and I was more out of breath than usual from the lunges.  Now I'm kinda feeling crappy.   >:(

I'm still planning on switching things up and going heavier with lower reps for a little while, but I gotta get better and get my back fixed up first.  I tend to prefer the high reps on legs, but I figure I'll give low reps a try.  I'll be doing plenty of high reps again during my contest prep.

yea u know i did the same thing not too long ago, i tried doing lower reps for legs, but just found they dont respond like i wanted to them to, so i had to up the reps again. Plus u really dont "feel" the legs  working til about 10 reps or so IMHO!

But hamstring curls do work better with lower reps again IMHO, because they are mainly a fast twitch dominated muscle. Everything else lower body 12 reps or more

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #291 on: January 27, 2008, 06:32:52 PM »
yea u know i did the same thing not too long ago, i tried doing lower reps for legs, but just found they dont respond like i wanted to them to, so i had to up the reps again. Plus u really dont "feel" the legs  working til about 10 reps or so IMHO!

But hamstring curls do work better with lower reps again IMHO, because they are mainly a fast twitch dominated muscle. Everything else lower body 12 reps or more

That's interesting about the hammies. 
My legs tend to grow relatively easily, although I have mostly kept exercises in the 12-20 rep range.  One of the main reason I am looking to try lower reps for a little while is that I am thinking about getting more into the powerlifting next year, incl deads and squats, so I want to see how my numbers are looking this year before I start dieting, just to get a baseline.   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #292 on: January 27, 2008, 07:17:45 PM »

That's interesting about the hammies. 
My legs tend to grow relatively easily, although I have mostly kept exercises in the 12-20 rep range.  One of the main reason I am looking to try lower reps for a little while is that I am thinking about getting more into the powerlifting next year, incl deads and squats, so I want to see how my numbers are looking this year before I start dieting, just to get a baseline.   8)

Very interesting Rip, I bet the PL would be a nice change of pace and would help you be stronger for the BB training too.

About the hams one thing a friend told me about them and is very true, we always talk about getting a good contraction on quads and holding it at the top to bring out the detail.  Well he said do the same for hams too, squeeze those baby's up and hold for 3 down for 1 sec.  This puts the size on them and brings out the cuts.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2008, 10:20:42 AM »
New client today...his first day to train legs in over 8yrs...he threw up!!!!!!

Got to love it, lol!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #294 on: January 28, 2008, 10:35:23 AM »
New client today...his first day to train legs in over 8yrs...he threw up!!!!!!

Got to love it, lol!

LMAO sure sign of a good trainer!!  I hope you didn't laugh directly AT him, and I hope he comes back for more!   :D

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2008, 12:18:19 PM »

LMAO sure sign of a good trainer!!  I hope you didn't laugh directly AT him, and I hope he comes back for more!   :D

He'll be back Wed...they all pay for packages up front...otherwise no one would stay lol!

Trace

• Getbig II
  • NPC Chief Judge
« Reply #296 on: January 30, 2008, 10:19:50 PM »
I wear a belt on most of my heavy working sets.  Typcially on my warmups I don't wear my belt tho'. 

I have an off-season belt and a comp belt.  Although...this off-season I'm still wearing my comp belt.  I'm a bit surprised!  I even have 2 more holes until I have to start wearing my off-season belt.  LOL!  GO me! 

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #297 on: January 31, 2008, 04:47:36 AM »
I wear a belt on most of my heavy working sets.  Typcially on my warmups I don't wear my belt tho'. 

I have an off-season belt and a comp belt.  Although...this off-season I'm still wearing my comp belt.  I'm a bit surprised!  I even have 2 more holes until I have to start wearing my off-season belt.  LOL!  GO me! 

hahaha that's awesome!   :D

I think my belt will fit no matter what, as it has a million holes in it.  I'm still not really sure I am going to use it much unless I am maxing out, or until I learn the correct technique for powerlifting (squats and DLs).  It's so stiff that now I don't really want to deal with breaking it in anyway.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2008, 01:16:13 PM »
Question about straight leg deadlifts...

I see people in my gym getting up on steps and boxes to do SLDLs, and extending the weight as far down as possible.  I'm not sure that this really does anything for the hams and glutes?  I guess the stretch is good and increases flexibility, but I always assumed that the best ROM for SLDLs was from just above the knee to about 2/3 of the way down the shin.  Any further than that and you are using more lower back than hammy and glute.   ???

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2008, 01:21:03 PM »
Question about straight leg deadlifts...

I see people in my gym getting up on steps and boxes to do SLDLs, and extending the weight as far down as possible.  I'm not sure that this really does anything for the hams and glutes?  I guess the stretch is good and increases flexibility, but I always assumed that the best ROM for SLDLs was from just above the knee to about 2/3 of the way down the shin.  Any further than that and you are using more lower back than hammy and glute.   ???

get as much as a stretch as u can get with keeping the natural arch in your spine. Once u lose that arch your risking injury.

What those guys are doing going all the way down to their toes is risking some serious lower lumbar injuries and torn hamstrings.