Author Topic: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING  (Read 350831 times)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: GLUTE/LOWER BODY TRAINING
« Reply #325 on: March 07, 2008, 05:33:15 PM »
hi girls, I just found this section on getbig and I have to say.

You girls are hardcore and im learning stuff from you!

I hope you dont mind me trolling around here and throwing out my two cents now and then.

I hope you dont mind me posting the glute shots girls. 

There are lots of guys who post in this thread too, and your glutes are welcome in here any time.  Very inspiring!!   :o

Troll away!!

:)

Alex A

• Competitors
  • Getbig II
  • Alex Azarian
« Reply #326 on: March 07, 2008, 06:18:50 PM »
Thanks i wasnt sure. The girls section is cool, much more serious talk going on here. Like i said, im open to learn. and share info. 
www.prepbyalex.com
national contender

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #327 on: March 07, 2008, 11:24:28 PM »
nice to see you posting on the womens board alex. I dont feel like such a fag now posting here :)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #328 on: March 08, 2008, 07:25:39 AM »
nice to see you posting on the womens board alex. I dont feel like such a fag now posting here :)

Cut it out...only the manliest of men post here.   8)

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #329 on: March 09, 2008, 04:23:28 AM »

Cut it out...only the manliest of men post here.   8)

yea like siouxcountry............ .........oh brother  ::)

;D

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #330 on: March 19, 2008, 06:53:59 PM »
Did backwards squats on the hammer strength V-squat machine today. Somewhat similar to doing them backwards on a hack but much much suckier in that "good" way. A little awkward but a really differant feel to it then most other things...give it a try if you have one of these in your gym.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2008, 04:13:21 AM »
Did backwards squats on the hammer strength V-squat machine today. Somewhat similar to doing them backwards on a hack but much much suckier in that "good" way. A little awkward but a really differant feel to it then most other things...give it a try if you have one of these in your gym.

We just switched over to another gym (one that's in the group we can go to with our membership), and they have one of these, but it's got two sets of shoulder pads so that you can do it either forwards or backwards.  They also have this sweet front squat machine.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #332 on: March 24, 2008, 04:49:57 AM »
I did a leg workout over the weekend...pretty much the first workout in almost 2 weeks, except for my bench meet the other weekend.  I am still trying to give the upper body a break after that, but I got in a semi-decent leg workout. 

Squats - 95 x 20, 145 x 12, 145 x 12, 165 x 10... I went deeper than I usually do, so not too heavy. 
SLDLs - 95 x 15, 145 x 10, 145 x 10
3 sets leg extensions x 12
3 sets seated hammy curls x 12
3 sets standing calf raises 120 pounds x 12

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #333 on: March 24, 2008, 06:20:41 AM »
I did a leg workout over the weekend...pretty much the first workout in almost 2 weeks, except for my bench meet the other weekend.  I am still trying to give the upper body a break after that, but I got in a semi-decent leg workout. 

Squats - 95 x 20, 145 x 12, 145 x 12, 165 x 10... I went deeper than I usually do, so not too heavy. 
SLDLs - 95 x 15, 145 x 10, 145 x 10
3 sets leg extensions x 12
3 sets seated hammy curls x 12
3 sets standing calf raises 120 pounds x 12

Rip that is good, probally will be sore from that.

Must say Im a bit worried about your sporadic training patterns though.  Don't make me start the tuff love on you  >:(

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #334 on: March 24, 2008, 08:35:16 AM »
Rip that is good, probally will be sore from that.

Must say Im a bit worried about your sporadic training patterns though.  Don't make me start the tuff love on you  >:(

I know, I know...it's been different with the bench training.  I'm back in action...trying to regroup right now and restructure my training program for whatever may be next. ;)

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #335 on: March 28, 2008, 11:53:57 AM »
I did some squats last night...trying to see what I've got in me for squatting these days.  I have never EVER really squatted heavy because my lower body usually responds well with lighter weights.

Last night, I did sets of five, DEEP squats, to at least parallel....managed to work up to a decent set of 205 for 5.  Not terribly impressive, but I was pleased, considering I havent had that much weight on my shoulders in over four years.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #336 on: March 31, 2008, 05:19:36 PM »
I did some squats last night...trying to see what I've got in me for squatting these days.  I have never EVER really squatted heavy because my lower body usually responds well with lighter weights.
Last night, I did sets of five, DEEP squats, to at least parallel....managed to work up to a decent set of 205 for 5.  Not terribly impressive, but I was pleased, considering I havent had that much weight on my shoulders in over four years.

Not buying it  :P  You need to get in there and push hard on these.  You have to be giving it all you got, it can not be easy and if you are not gasping for air at the end of the set you did not work hard enough. 

I think what you listed is good weight but i know you could have done more reps.  I like how you made sure and got deep enough and did not worry about the weight.  So many people i see in the gym girls included will try and put so much weight on the bar they cant even get close to a full ROM.  The #'s will come and so will the growth if you get your form and ROM down.

I trained legs today and did some squats.  I work up slow and do a lot of sets per se usually about 30 mins on squats.  What was funny is 2 guys came and "squatted" in the other racks next to me.  They did 3 half ass sets each and that was it!  They did this in less than 10 mins.  Your legs will NOT grow if someone trains like this, it is really that simple.  They do 20 min leg workouts and 2 hour chest workouts.

I have been dealing with a groin injury this winter and it has been feeling better so I decided to try some squats tonight my first in a while.

I did barx15, 135x12, 185x12, 225x12, 275x12, 315x10, 315x10  It felt good to get up to 315 again and be able to do it without pain.  It had me pretty winded, I could have done a few more reps but was holding back some because of the groin.  I will slowly add weight till i can get back up to 400 or so.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #337 on: March 31, 2008, 05:55:38 PM »
L2H, why not just warm up thouroughly and then go straight to the heavier weight? I know you said you have been nursing an injury and that does change things a bit, but say you were 100%, would you still do it this way?

For example, this is how I'll do it. I typically do 1-2 sets at 135 10-15 reps and then one set of 225 at 10 reps. After that straight to working sets, usually one at 315 10-15 and then 405-455 for 2 or 3 more 6-12 reps depending on how things are feeling that day...just my thoughts...obviously your legs are doing pretty well.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #338 on: March 31, 2008, 06:19:34 PM »
L2H, why not just warm up thouroughly and then go straight to the heavier weight? I know you said you have been nursing an injury and that does change things a bit, but say you were 100%, would you still do it this way?

For example, this is how I'll do it. I typically do 1-2 sets at 135 10-15 reps and then one set of 225 at 10 reps. After that straight to working sets, usually one at 315 10-15 and then 405-455 for 2 or 3 more 6-12 reps depending on how things are feeling that day...just my thoughts...obviously your legs are doing pretty well.

Well my friend at 44 YO these joints need some warming up  :)  I have always felt the best way to warm up is by doing the excersise (compound types)  I like to progressivly add weight and will pyramid pretty much everything.

Typically I will if feeling healthy omitt the set at 275, did that today cause first time squatting in a long while and with being injured wanted to take it slow and see how it felt.

These are ways I will work up depending on how I feel.

barx15, 135x12, 185x10, 225x12, 315x12, 365x12, 405x8-12, 315x15-18

Barx15, 135x12, 185x10, 225x12, 315x12, 405x10-12, 405x10-12 

Seldom do I go heavyer than that but if i really feel it i may do 465 I think I have done 8 reps with that.  Its really not worth it to me to go that much, the risk of injury becomes too great.  I squat raw without knee wraps ever.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #339 on: March 31, 2008, 08:44:41 PM »
Well my friend at 44 YO these joints need some warming up  :)  I have always felt the best way to warm up is by doing the excersise (compound types)  I like to progressivly add weight and will pyramid pretty much everything.

Typically I will if feeling healthy omitt the set at 275, did that today cause first time squatting in a long while and with being injured wanted to take it slow and see how it felt.

These are ways I will work up depending on how I feel.

barx15, 135x12, 185x10, 225x12, 315x12, 365x12, 405x8-12, 315x15-18

Barx15, 135x12, 185x10, 225x12, 315x12, 405x10-12, 405x10-12 

Seldom do I go heavyer than that but if i really feel it i may do 465 I think I have done 8 reps with that.  Its really not worth it to me to go that much, the risk of injury becomes too great.  I squat raw without knee wraps ever.
Hey I understand the joint thing...I pyramid up pretty slow on things like military for that very reason...but sometimes I wonder if I do too much pyramiding and waste energy on what could be used for working sets. For that reason some days I'll do a lot less pyramiding up and go to the heavier sets faster...some days this works great, some days not.

Knee wraps...bad thing in your opinion? I don't wear them unless there is 405+ on the bar but I won't do that kind of weight without them any more...it just feel better IMO and seems like it has to be protecting things somewhat...of course I know there is the mental factor too but when squatting the mental factor is someties half of the whole deal anyway.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #340 on: April 01, 2008, 04:00:48 AM »
Hey I understand the joint thing...I pyramid up pretty slow on things like military for that very reason...but sometimes I wonder if I do too much pyramiding and waste energy on what could be used for working sets. For that reason some days I'll do a lot less pyramiding up and go to the heavier sets faster...some days this works great, some days not.

Knee wraps...bad thing in your opinion? I don't wear them unless there is 405+ on the bar but I won't do that kind of weight without them any more...it just feel better IMO and seems like it has to be protecting things somewhat...of course I know there is the mental factor too but when squatting the mental factor is someties half of the whole deal anyway.

You're not kidding.  I'm such a chicken.   :-[
It's definitely a challenge to minimize energy spent on the warmup...I try to do one set of 15-20 with the bar, nice and deep, then stretch for a few mins, and then just one set of 10-15 with an intermediate weight before I jump into the heavier working sets.  That's pretty much what I do on the bench too, except with a few less reps.

Luv, it's great to hear that you're healing up, and I am glad that you didn't overdo it.  :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #341 on: April 01, 2008, 06:13:26 AM »

Well sure if you do lots of warming up it may take a bit off your heavy work sets.  To me though its worth it as it will add to my longevity and since I'm in this for the long run and its not powerlifting, it works pretty good.  I'm sure I could go in there and squat 500lbs for a few reps but really that would mainly be working my ego and risking my body too much.  I need to be able to train at a consistant level for a consistant time to get in shape for shows and at this point in my training Iam very cautious about becoming injured.

Knee wraps....I could never get used to using them.  I don't feel comfortable with them.  I know they will add some lbs to your squat though.  As far as them offering any real protection I'm not sure on that either.

You're not kidding.  I'm such a chicken.   :-[
It's definitely a challenge to minimize energy spent on the warmup...I try to do one set of 15-20 with the bar, nice and deep, then stretch for a few mins, and then just one set of 10-15 with an intermediate weight before I jump into the heavier working sets.  That's pretty much what I do on the bench too, except with a few less reps.

Luv, it's great to hear that you're healing up, and I am glad that you didn't overdo it.  :)

Thanks Rip it is coming along.  :)

Before my squat workouts i will get nervous and a bit anxious, very similar to the way I got when I was teenager and would get ready to practice my motocross racing that I did at that age.  Mainly cause you know you gotta go in there and lay it down hard, take some calculated risks and it is gonna hurt and be uncomfortable.  Always feels so good to get the squats behind you, uninjured and to have worked your ass off on them.  Its all gravy after that.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #342 on: April 04, 2008, 08:59:58 AM »
I am SO nervous when I squat big weight.   ::)

So here's the thing I have noticed lately now that I am making a concerted effort to squat DEEP with heavier weight... my hip flexors!!  OUCH!!!!   :o

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #343 on: April 05, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »
I am SO nervous when I squat big weight.   ::)

So here's the thing I have noticed lately now that I am making a concerted effort to squat DEEP with heavier weight... my hip flexors!!  OUCH!!!!   :o

Yes I get pretty worked up to when I know I have squat heavy, heavy for me at least LOL.

It is the worst when I get in front of the squat rack, mainly its anxiety.  I have found the best thing to do for me is headphones in and no talking to others at this time. I like to think about somethings I have done in my life that were hard and I did well under pressure.  Things I'm proud of and not many others have done.  Many times I think about when I was a Crew Chief In the Air Force and we had to do combat turn arounds on our F-4s.  Man talk about a high pressure situation where everyone had to preform flawlessly, they would not even shut the planes down, just one engine, so we could reload the drag chute, refuel and do a quick inspection of the aircraft, while the weapons guys put on new bombs and missiles. 

Being responsible for that equipment every day and the pilots who flew them and ultimately the country itself was something I think about whenever my confidence is shaken.  I think about that and know I can do pretty much anything. 

Find something like that Rip and use it to calm yourself and find your center.  :) 

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #344 on: April 05, 2008, 03:55:54 PM »
Yes I get pretty worked up to when I know I have squat heavy, heavy for me at least LOL.

It is the worst when I get in front of the squat rack, mainly its anxiety.  I have found the best thing to do for me is headphones in and no talking to others at this time. I like to think about somethings I have done in my life that were hard and I did well under pressure.  Things I'm proud of and not many others have done.  Many times I think about when I was a Crew Chief In the Air Force and we had to do combat turn arounds on our F-4s.  Man talk about a high pressure situation where everyone had to preform flawlessly, they would not even shut the planes down, just one engine, so we could reload the drag chute, refuel and do a quick inspection of the aircraft, while the weapons guys put on new bombs and missiles. 

Being responsible for that equipment every day and the pilots who flew them and ultimately the country itself was something I think about whenever my confidence is shaken.  I think about that and know I can do pretty much anything. 

Find something like that Rip and use it to calm yourself and find your center.  :) 

Now THAT'S pretty fkn cool.   8)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #345 on: April 07, 2008, 06:18:58 PM »

Yes indeed it was very cool.  Lots of awesome stories from those days.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #346 on: April 08, 2008, 04:20:42 AM »

Yes indeed it was very cool.  Lots of awesome stories from those days.

Not to take this thread too far off-topic, but you got any with you standing in one of those cute little Top Gun outfits in front of a plane like that?   :-*

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #347 on: April 08, 2008, 05:43:35 AM »

Not to take this thread too far off-topic, but you got any with you standing in one of those cute little Top Gun outfits in front of a plane like that?   :-*

LOL Was not a pilot so no Top Gun outfits.  Not a lot of pictures from the flight line, the Air Force does not like to see cameras on the secured flight line.  But some people did get persmission to do it a couple times.  I will dig up a pic or 2  :)

Back on topic:  Trained legs last night was my second time squating in months, normally will not squat 2 work outs in a row.  But it went pretty well trying to add weight each time. 

Squat:  Barx15, 135x12, 185x10, 225x12, 315x12, 365x8, 365x12, 315x12.

One leg extensions:  Worked fast no rest, held at top 4x12

Lying leg press machine, kind of like a hack more than anything.  Very light cause this is what injured me before. 4x12  got up to a whole 100lbs LOL thats OK I will slowly add 20 lbs each time i do these.

Standing leg curl 4x12  Got up to 90 lbs here which for me is pretty heavy, stack on this machine goes to 120

Seated leg curl:  4x10-12

Lying leg curl:  4x10-12

My low back was a bit sore after the squats probally cause I have not got my core strength up all the way yet.  A few more squat work outs and i should be stronger.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #348 on: April 10, 2008, 04:02:12 AM »
LOL Was not a pilot so no Top Gun outfits.  Not a lot of pictures from the flight line, the Air Force does not like to see cameras on the secured flight line.  But some people did get persmission to do it a couple times.  I will dig up a pic or 2  :)

Back on topic:  Trained legs last night was my second time squating in months, normally will not squat 2 work outs in a row.  But it went pretty well trying to add weight each time. 

Squat:  Barx15, 135x12, 185x10, 225x12, 315x12, 365x8, 365x12, 315x12.

One leg extensions:  Worked fast no rest, held at top 4x12

Lying leg press machine, kind of like a hack more than anything.  Very light cause this is what injured me before. 4x12  got up to a whole 100lbs LOL thats OK I will slowly add 20 lbs each time i do these.

Standing leg curl 4x12  Got up to 90 lbs here which for me is pretty heavy, stack on this machine goes to 120

Seated leg curl:  4x10-12

Lying leg curl:  4x10-12

My low back was a bit sore after the squats probally cause I have not got my core strength up all the way yet.  A few more squat work outs and i should be stronger.

Luv, you're being smart the way you are easing back into it.  You'll be back to 100% in no time, and more importantly...injury free. 
Pics with you in them are the best ones.  :)

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #349 on: April 10, 2008, 04:52:59 AM »

Luv, you're being smart the way you are easing back into it.  You'll be back to 100% in no time, and more importantly...injury free. 
Pics with you in them are the best ones.  :)

Well thank you Rip  :)

I always try myself and tell peopple to just add a little bit of wieght each work out when comming back from an injury.  Before you know it your right back up there and not hurt anymore.