Author Topic: Ironman/Fit Expo moves to L.A. Convention Center for 2008!  (Read 1992 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Ironman/Fit Expo moves to L.A. Convention Center for 2008!
« on: June 25, 2007, 02:45:55 PM »
June 27, 2007
For Immediate Release:

TheFitExpo Weekend Pumps Up to The Los Angeles Convention Center in 2008

National Fitness Productions and Iron Man Magazine today announced that the 2008 FitExpo will relocate to The Los Angeles Convention  Center to continue to allow for growth both in the size and scope of the  event, which has become California's largest and best known fitness weekend.  The 2008 dates will be February 15-17.

Erin Ferries of National Fitness Productions said "After four years of huge growing crowds and overlapping special events we really needed to go to a larger venue for our weekend. The move to The Los Angeles Convention Center allows us exactly what we need to expand and add additional programming and competitions."

John Balik of Iron Man Magazine noted "The Pasadena Center has been a gracious host for TheFitExpo these past four years. Judging by the overflowing crowds, particularly on Saturday, it's been clear that Southern California fitness enthusiasts are looking to us to allow our sold out expo floor and stage  presentations to grow."

With the change in venue comes a new name for the weekend to reflect its location more accurately. The event will now be known as The Los Angeles FitExpo.

Many of the world's greatest bodybuilders will compete at the 19th annual IRONMAN PRO, the biggest professional bodybuilding contest on the West Coast and the only pro show in Los Angeles, the mecca of the sport.

Other contests held at the Expo include the Gaspari Nutrition Women's Figure Competition (the world's loveliest & fittest women on-stage), the MET-Rx All American Strongman Challenge (the world's strongest men vie for $10,000 in cash prizes in a series of contests), the Scot Mendelson Bench Press Classic, the NxLabs Fittest Couple Contest ($2500 and a national magazine photo layout go to the winners) and the VPX MaxReps Competitions (offering attendees the chance to win cash in a series of strength competitions).

The Los Angeles FitExpo will feature 200 Exhibits offering the latest in cutting edge fitness and health products and services. Vendors are coming from around the world to participate with tons of free samples and giveaways available.

Throughout the weekend attendees can take part in a full array of complimentary seminars and demonstrations covering all aspects of fitness and nutrition.   

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: Ironman/Fit Expo moves to L.A. Convention Center for 2008!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 02:48:47 PM »
Congrats on the growth.

How much are booths next year?

Damn, I'm going to miss Pasadena. 

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 02:57:31 PM »
where will the actual bodybuilding contest be held?  The convention center doesn't exactly have theatre seating.

I know, section 101 of the Staples Center.  I know, too big.

if the Ironman Pro is going to be held on a raised platform with folding chairs for the audience, don't you think that is a bit of a step backward from the 3000 seat theater of the Pasadena Civic ?

Lena

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 02:59:39 PM »
wow - thats great!! Great job Ironman/John B ;)

L.J

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 03:13:59 PM »

The event should be in the main expo hall (yes, there are a number of halls in the L.A. Convention Center), and the Ironman will be in a separate area with a few thousand seats in the same place.

But more details later on...

Lots of parking underneath the convention center, it is huge.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 03:24:19 PM »
the Ironman will be in a separate area with a few thousand seats ...

Now that's just nuts.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 10:09:53 PM »
how will they fill up the place  ??? ;D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 10:15:30 PM »
This will be a plus for the Ironman

The Coach

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2007, 10:17:31 PM »
Wouldn't it have been smarter to fill up the Pasadena Convention Center first before they spend money on a bigger venue?? Call me crazy, but they ain't exactly selling out Pasadena!!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2007, 10:19:41 PM »
LA Conv Center has better marketability, parking, location, etc..

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 10:22:32 PM »
Wouldn't it have been smarter to fill up the Pasadena Convention Center first before they spend money on a bigger venue?? Call me crazy, but they ain't exactly selling out Pasadena!!

The expo portion was actually pretty busy this year.  The bodybuilding contest isn't selling, but if they can make the ticket prices more reasonable, then more people might be inclined to give it a look. 

For $100, I need to see something on par with Cirque du Soleil. 

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 05:11:11 AM »
Congrats on the growth.

How much are booths next year?

Damn, I'm going to miss Pasadena. 

Pasadena was a great city and set up.

Do you think you can get enough women flexing in your booth to be profitable?

Elevate Your Image.™

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 05:20:15 AM »
fitness expo's are more popular than posing shows.

SWOLETRAIN

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 08:41:59 AM »
IMO the jump to the convention center is a jump in the right direction. Much more respectable venue and it has way more space for booths and other events. I am excited for this, Pasedena was cool but still relativly low profile when compared to LA convention center.
-

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 09:22:17 AM »
Pasadena was a great city and set up.

Do you think you can get enough women flexing in your booth to be profitable?

Agreed on Pasadena - what a cool little town.

I've only lost on one past booth event, but depending on the numbers, Fit Expo would be a tough call.  I am interested, though. 

For the record, best bang ever for the buck were Steve McAdams' BodyRock expos in Virginia.  I'm really sad that that show isn't being renewed for this year.

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 11:41:33 AM »
I know people who stopped going to the Ironman contest because the promoter wouldn't allow any pix of any kind to be taken during the contest.  & didn't tell people in advance.  That was a few years ago.  I'm not sure how it is now. 

willie mosconi

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 11:46:29 AM »
the erotica convention was at the LA convention center this past weekend. I saw Too Short there. Pretty cool to see a rap legend there. the convention itself was pretty lame though

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 11:50:00 AM »
I know people who stopped going to the Ironman contest because the promoter wouldn't allow any pix of any kind to be taken during the contest.  & didn't tell people in advance.  That was a few years ago.  I'm not sure how it is now. 

That's complete bullshit...people have always been able to take all the pics the want at a pro show....the only restriction has been video, as they sell the video rights to a company.

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 11:51:35 AM »
That's complete bullshit...people have always been able to take all the pics the want at a pro show....the only restriction has been video, as they sell the video rights to a company.

I agree with chick.  I remember when the ironman was at the redodndo beach theater in 99.  Its moving up in the world.
Most are all show no go!