Author Topic: although bodybuilding is not a sport  (Read 4139 times)

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
although bodybuilding is not a sport
« on: June 25, 2007, 10:56:18 PM »
i do belive its a type of art form  8)

remember

1. not a sport

2. but an art 

3. hobby

4. past time

5. cult for some

thanks to gordiano for 3-5

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
Re: although bodybuilding is not a sport
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:00:19 PM »
 ;D

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:43:56 PM »
Artform, hobby, pastime.....absolutely.

EDIT: Also, a lifestyle, a cult (for some).
HAHA, RON.....

Iraclese

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 06:20:26 PM »
What not a sport????????  Hey if curling, and golf are
considered a sport, then guess what bodybuilding is one for sure.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 09:08:22 PM »

remember

1. not a sport

2. but an art

both

E
E

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:23:06 PM »

I never understood how won can refer to bodybuilding as an art???  Just has always boggled me.

Its a sport...  with the amount of physical stress endured on the body, it better be a sport!

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 09:29:32 PM »
I never understood how won can refer to bodybuilding as an art???  Just has always boggled me.

Its a sport...  with the amount of physical stress endured on the body, it better be a sport!
ha then you have never watched pumping iron Arnold describes how it is a sport ... he describes himself as the sculptor and his body has the work of art hes sculpting

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 09:30:38 PM »
Dorian Yates: Bodybuilding is a sport and I'm an athlete trying to be the best I can be.

bigkubby

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 12:12:02 AM »
IM INTO IT FOR ALL THE MEN IN BIKINS ANY OTHER DUDES WITH ME? :P
i

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 05:30:59 AM »
ha then you have never watched pumping iron Arnold describes how it is a sport ... he describes himself as the sculptor and his body has the work of art hes sculpting

Those two statements are contradictory!

HalloweenMan

• Getbig III
  • Team What The Fuck?!?!?!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 05:51:26 AM »
Dorian Yates: Bodybuilding is a sport and I'm an athlete trying to be the best I can be.

::)
F

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 05:55:26 AM »
::)

you dont think dorian was an athlete?

ath·lete

a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

sounds like an athlete to me.
Z

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 06:45:03 AM »
bod·y·build·ing      [bod-ee-bil-ding] –noun
the act or practice of exercising, lifting weights, etc., so as to develop the muscles of the body.

bod·y·build·ing       (b?d'?-b?l'd?ng) 
n.   The process of developing the musculature of the body through specific types of diet and physical exercise, such as weightlifting, especially for competitive exhibition.

The definitions for footballl and baseball and hockey etc. describe them as a "game". So sport, it seems, must be a game of some kind which means that BB is a process or a practice or an art but not a sport.

Having now put to bed the definition of the word sport, the main thrust of this "sport/no sport" argument seems to be that BB is easy when compared to baseball or football and the like. That is quite untrue.

body88

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 06:45:56 AM »

No its not. There is no difference between bb comps and beauty pageants. Minus the beauty of course. Both contestants diet for months, train with weights, choreograph a routine and present themselves to a panel of judges. Just because a bb has to diet hard that does not make it a sport. Is a dieting fat ass an athlete since he works out and diets? A NFL player goes through about 500 times the "stress" of any pro bb That is all while dealing with injury,traveling and partaking in a actual athletic competition. You need superior athletic ablilty to 99 percent the population to be a succesful pro athlete. People talk about the suffering pro bb's go through. Wake up, eat, train, sleep, shit, take juice, train ,eat  eat, sleep, repeat. Pro bb a pre madonas. They would claim that training for a few hours a day and dieting is comparable to the rigors real pros go through. Christ, your local mexican day worker busts his ass every day while eating little food. We should start clumping them in with guys like Barry Sanders. I repsect the dedicatoin and drive of pro bb's, but the "pro athlete" claims are just stupid. Bob Chick tried to tell me pro bb's should be in the same group as other elite pros athletes. Hmm lets see,  Brady , Manning, Jordan, Bird, LT, Rice, Gretsky, Willie Mays, Arod, Paplebon, Ronnie Coleman  and Frank Zane. Sounds about right. ::)

Pro bodybuilding requires no athletic ability. NO superior athleticism, vision or skill. You don't need superior speed or endurance. You need a lot of time to sleep, good genetics, and a lot of drugs.

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 03:24:58 PM »
yup being categorized as an art is the best bb could hope for  :)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2007, 07:35:23 PM »
bod·y·build·ing      [bod-ee-bil-ding] –noun
the act or practice of exercising, lifting weights, etc., so as to develop the muscles of the body.

bod·y·build·ing       (b?d'?-b?l'd?ng) 
n.   The process of developing the musculature of the body through specific types of diet and physical exercise, such as weightlifting, especially for competitive exhibition.

The definitions for footballl and baseball and hockey etc. describe them as a "game". So sport, it seems, must be a game of some kind which means that BB is a process or a practice or an art but not a sport.

Having now put to bed the definition of the word sport, the main thrust of this "sport/no sport" argument seems to be that BB is easy when compared to baseball or football and the like. That is quite untrue.

I think the actual competition is way easier in bodybuilding than baseball, football or really any sport in the world.  It is the preparation for the BB competition that is the hard part.  And the hardest part about that is the dieting I think.  Cause of the advancements in drugs, the working out part has even became easier than it was 25 years ago.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2007, 08:21:56 PM »
I think the actual competition is way easier in bodybuilding than baseball, football or really any sport in the world.  It is the preparation for the BB competition that is the hard part.  And the hardest part about that is the dieting I think.  Cause of the advancements in drugs, the working out part has even became easier than it was 25 years ago.

Given your vast experience in all three areas...dieting, training, and competing in BB...I can see where you would have that opinion...

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2007, 08:35:22 PM »
Given your vast experience in all three areas...dieting, training, and competing in BB...I can see where you would have that opinion...

hahahaha ;D

E
E

Bodies

• Getbig III
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2007, 10:25:28 PM »

remember

1. not a sport

2. but an art 

3. hobby

4. past time

5. cult for some

thanks to gordiano for 3-5

I'm partial to # 5: Cult

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2007, 10:33:48 PM »
ok artist  ::)

hifrommike

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2007, 01:10:17 PM »
Guess what? USA TODAY reports on poker players in its sports section.   :P

The Coach

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2007, 01:15:23 PM »
you dont think dorian was an athlete?

ath·lete

a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.

sounds like an athlete to me.

Exept for the strength part, you can leave Dorian or anyother pro out of this. Also, define "strength", athletic strength is different from "bodybuilding" strength!

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2007, 01:16:59 PM »

That's hilarious! Call Websters! We need to change the definition of athlete!

XFACTOR

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2007, 01:25:20 PM »

Well where else would they report it?  Business?

gatomjp

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2007, 01:51:49 PM »
Well where else would they report it?  Business?

How about the Boring section?