Author Topic: Remembering Our Heroes  (Read 2521 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Remembering Our Heroes
« on: June 28, 2007, 10:09:48 AM »
Though the article was written the weekend before Memorial Day, I think it still rings true with July 4th coming up next week. 

Remembering Our Heroes
05/25/2007
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By Gary Bauer

I'd like you to meet U.S. Marine Corps Sergeant Jeremiah Workman. In 2004, Workman was serving as a squad leader at Camp Pendleton, California when he was deployed to Fallujah, Iraq. One day, while out on patrol, his team was ambushed, trapping many of his men in a building overrun by insurgents. Battling heavy enemy fire, Workman bravely laid down enough cover fire to allow many of the isolated Marines to escape. Workman then lead another group to provide cover fire for an attack into the building to rescue other trapped Marines, continuing to fire even after receiving several shrapnel wounds to his arms and legs and after a grenade exploded in front of him. After this second rescue attack, Workman again rallied his team for a final blitz in to clear the building of insurgents and rescue the remaining Marines.

In all, Workman's leadership helped save 17 of the 20 Marines trapped inside the building, while eliminating 24 insurgents. For his extraordinary heroism, Jeremiah Workman received the Navy Cross (the Armed Forces' second highest medal) and a Purple Heart.

It has become axiomatic that the media tend to filter out the good news, preferring the boosts in ratings and readership that accompany catastrophe and scandal. This is especially true with the war in Iraq, where criticisms of military misconduct at places like Abu Ghraib, Haditha and at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, D.C. are presented almost daily. But Iraq offers positive stories too -- authentic acts of military heroism that go unreported by the media and, thus, unnoticed by most Americans.

Take Army Sergeant 1st Class Curtis Haines, who received the Medal of Bravery for diving into a burning vehicle to extract an Iraqi citizen seriously injured and on fire after a car bomb exploded at a military checkpoint. Haines pulled the civilian out of the raging fire and carried him 50 yards to safety before administering medical aid, saving
the man's life.

Or take Marine Corporal Jason Dunham, who received the Medal of Honor (the Armed Forces highest award) posthumously in January. In a moving ceremony at the White House, President Bush recounted Dunham's heroics, which included jumping on a grenade to save the lives of two of his men, using his helmet and body to absorb the blow that killed him.

There are literally thousands more stories of ordinary Americans performing extraordinary acts of selfless bravery on battlefields across the globe. While their stories are different, these soldiers share two things: a singular devotion to the idea that freedom must prevail and the courage to subordinate themselves to do what it takes to achieve that end.

Sadly, our military heroes have one more thing in common: anonymity. The mainstream media would have us believe we are engaged in a war without heroes. So far the only names the media trumpet are those whose actions speak to the alleged malfeasance of the American military, like Lynndie England and those involved in the boorishness at Abu Ghraib. But Workman, Haines and Dunham deserve to be held up as the heroes they are. While it is a sign of America's goodness that we expose and denounce abuse by our troops - for while winning this war will not be easy, we guarantee our defeat by stooping to the level of our enemy - what does it say about our nation that we refuse to recognize those whohave performed genuine acts of heroism?

Despite the lack of positive media attention, the American Armed Forces continue to be highly regarded by the people they protect. A recent Gallup poll found 73 percent of respondents said they have a "great deal" or "quite a lot" of confidence in the military, surpassing by fifteen percent the next highest institutions, the police and organized religion. In contrast, public trust in television news and newspapers has reached an all-time low of 28 percent.

An April Pew poll similarly found favorable views of the military outnumbered negative ones by more than four to one (77 percent to 17 percent).

It's a curious dynamic: Opinion polls simultaneously show tumbling public confidence in the war effort, scant trust of the mainstream media's ability to report the news fairly and strong general approval of our military. Perhaps most tellingly, military recruiting remains strong, and applications to our military academies have even increased of late. West Point, for example, reported a 14 percent increase in applications last year.

Upon receiving the Navy Cross Medal, Sergeant Workman, with the humility characteristic of a Marine, told the Armed Forces Press Service, "The first thing I thought about was all the Marines we lost over there. I don't look at myself as being any different. I did what any other Marine would have done. There are thousands of other Marines over there (in the Middle East) that deserve to be awarded, too." Clearly, despite the consistent flow of bad news out of Iraq, and the paucity of good news, America is still able to produce young men and women who believe that freedom is always worth the sacrifice.

In his speeches, President Bush consistently links ultimate triumph in Iraq to one thing: American resolve. On Memorial Day, as America honors its heroes of yore, let us not forget our heroes of today, without whose courage and resolve victory would be impossible.

Mr. Bauer, a 2000 candidate for president, is chairman of Campaign for Working Families and president of American Values

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Remembering Our Heroes
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 10:30:54 AM »

It has become axiomatic that the media tend to filter out the good news, preferring the boosts in ratings and readership that accompany catastrophe and scandal. This is especially true with the war in Iraq, where criticisms of military misconduct at places like Abu Ghraib, Haditha and at Walter Reed Hospital in Washington, D.C. are presented almost daily. But Iraq offers positive stories too -- authentic acts of military heroism that go unreported by the media and, thus, unnoticed by most Americans.

Great commentary.  His statements about the media are dead on. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 11:22:34 AM »
"...Sadly, our military heroes have one more thing in common: anonymity. The mainstream media would have us believe we are engaged in a war without heroes..."

It depends on whom you ask. 

I think the Iraqis do not view the US military personnel as heroes.  The US has killed tens of thousands of Iraqis, destroyed their families, homes and businesses...their lives in general.  What's so heroic about that?

Another perspective would be that every military person in Iraq that was part of the invasion and occupation is a war criminal under the Nuremberg holdings.  That's not heroic.

As for the Iraqis themselves...I guess the opinion polls sway to whomever is asked.  Diametrically opposed views are found in these polls:

Poll of Iraqis: Public Wants Timetable for US Withdrawal, but Thinks US Plans Permanent Bases in Iraq

Half of Iraqis Approve of Attacks on US Forces, Including 9 Out of 10 Sunnis

82 percent of the population expressing lack of confidence in Coalition forces and 69 percent of Iraqis thinking the US occupation has exacerbated the security situation.
http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/issues/iraq/pollindex.htm
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/brmiddleeastnafricara/165.php?nid=&id=&pnt=165&lb=brme

It's not that I don't think there are heroic people in our military.  There are.

I get pissed when I see articles like this trying to portray the ongoing crime in Iraq as a legitimate "war" in the same vein as WWII, only our liberal media isn't showing the good stuff our boys are doing there.

Iraq is not a war.  War was not declared.  The US illegally invaded and devastated another country.  That's not heroic.  I don't see a single good thing coming out of this act of aggression.

Bush is an incompetent, evil man besmirching the good reputation of the US military by using it as muscle in a mafia-style hit of Iraq.

Not a damn good thing is coming out of this.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 11:30:29 AM »
In the face of overwhelming facts we still have a people who will hold on to their beliefs.

Frankly I don't know how much more bad can come out of this.

The next administration will have NO CHOICE but to raise taxes and due to the current administration gross incompetence on the scale of "stupid playground bully" or "ignorant religious fascists"  that has incurred 400 billion and counting worth of debt. 

Then the flag waving democrat haters will come out in droves and point out how the dems only want to raise taxes when in fact BUSH's ignorance put us in this situation.

Yes, there are many of heroes in this counter insurgency.  Men and women who have made sacrifices they didn't need to make if our interests and lives weren't handled so irresponsibly. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 01:33:54 PM »
I just hope that all the soldiers who have made all these sacrifices since 2003 in Iraq and Afghanistan haven't been done for nothing. We just can't cut and run.
The House that Ruth built

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 01:34:35 PM »
I just hope that all the soldiers who have made all these sacrifices since 2003 in Iraq and Afghanistan haven't been done for nothing. We just can't cut and run.
Why not?

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 02:29:18 PM »
"...Sadly, our military heroes have one more thing in common: anonymity. The mainstream media would have us believe we are engaged in a war without heroes..."

It depends on whom you ask. 

I think the Iraqis do not view the US military personnel as heroes.  The US has killed tens of thousands of Iraqis, destroyed their families, homes and businesses...their lives in general.  What's so heroic about that?

Another perspective would be that every military person in Iraq that was part of the invasion and occupation is a war criminal under the Nuremberg holdings.  That's not heroic.

As for the Iraqis themselves...I guess the opinion polls sway to whomever is asked.  Diametrically opposed views are found in these polls:

Poll of Iraqis: Public Wants Timetable for US Withdrawal, but Thinks US Plans Permanent Bases in Iraq

Half of Iraqis Approve of Attacks on US Forces, Including 9 Out of 10 Sunnis

82 percent of the population expressing lack of confidence in Coalition forces and 69 percent of Iraqis thinking the US occupation has exacerbated the security situation.
http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/brmiddleeastnafricara/165.php?nid=&id=&pnt=165&lb=brme

It's not that I don't think there are heroic people in our military.  There are.

I get pissed when I see articles like this trying to portray the ongoing crime in Iraq as a legitimate "war" in the same vein as WWII, only our liberal media isn't showing the good stuff our boys are doing there.

Iraq is not a war.  War was not declared.  The US illegally invaded and devastated another country.  That's not heroic.  I don't see a single good thing coming out of this act of aggression.

Bush is an incompetent, evil man besmirching the good reputation of the US military by using it as muscle in a mafia-style hit of Iraq.

Not a damn good thing is coming out of this.

Not exactly what you would deem "mainstream" media, correct?   :-\  I think this is where Gary Bauer was coming from.  The mainstream media does not cover the more positive aspects of the war.  I went over to my best friends house this past weekend for a cookout, and a good friend of his, who is back from 2 tours of Iraq already (he brought his entire platoon out of Fallujah...every soldier!!!).  I asked his take on the matter, and his comment towards your post would be to say you're full of it.  He said that we are "clueless" when it comes to knowing the reality of this situation. 

Sorry, but I have to take his word over what you or I can, at best, speculate. 

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 04:34:03 AM »
Why not?

Why not? Because that would make every life lost of every coalition soldier and Iraqi non-combatant civilian a life lost with nothing gained.
The House that Ruth built

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 06:52:34 AM »

Not exactly what you would deem "mainstream" media, correct?   :-\  I think this is where Gary Bauer was coming from.  The mainstream media does not cover the more positive aspects of the war.  I went over to my best friends house this past weekend for a cookout, and a good friend of his, who is back from 2 tours of Iraq already (he brought his entire platoon out of Fallujah...every soldier!!!).  I asked his take on the matter, and his comment towards your post would be to say you're full of it.  He said that we are "clueless" when it comes to knowing the reality of this situation. 

Sorry, but I have to take his word over what you or I can, at best, speculate. 
Here's a 2007 BBC poll of the Iraqi people http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/19_03_07_iraqpollnew.pdf

Since the end of the war in Iraq, thousands of civilians have died in violence on the streets. Support for the coalition forces based in Iraq is low - with 82% expressing a lack of confidence in them and 69% thinking they had made the security situation worse.

The poll of 2,212 people from across Iraq suggests an increasing pessimism and feeling of insecurity since the overthrow of Saddam Hussein.

Here's what a current US poll of Iraqis found:

Only 18 percent of Iraqis have confidence in U.S. and coalition troops, and 86 percent are concerned that someone in their household will be a victim of violence. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17687430/

The US invades Iraq, destroying lives, families and businesses...throwing the country into civil war...destabilizing the Middle East...creating more anti-american sentiment that's fodder for Al Qaeda recruiting and I'm supposed to feel good that our soldiers put in harms way by a misguided president are doing everything they can to survive?

That calculus does not add up. 

U.S. Marine Corps Sergeant Jeremiah Workman, Army Sergeant 1st Class Curtis Haines, and Marine Corporal Jason Dunham would not have to be risking their lives to save iraqis put into harms way...a harm caused by the invasion itself.

Unfortunately, stories like these grab the headlines and rightly so:
Iraqi police find 9 severed heads in fruit boxhttp://independent-bangladesh.com/news/jun/07/07062006ap.htm#A4
Bombings Kill 60 at University In Baghdad
34,452 Iraqi Civilians Died Violently in '06, U.N. Says
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/17/AR2007011700456.html
Residents in Madain, southeast of Baghdad, on Tuesday afternoon held a funeral in Najaf for 25 severed heads
http://www.iraqinews.com/articlenews.php?id=3156

It is not the job of a media to prop up a foreign policy blunder like the Iraq invasion with tales of good things happening.  The media are supposed to be critical...not cheerleaders for political incompetence.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 07:09:13 AM »
Why not? Because that would make every life lost of every coalition soldier and Iraqi non-combatant civilian a life lost with nothing gained.
I see.  What are we gaining?  The country is in civil war.  We are hated by the Iraqis.  We have lost the support of the Coalition of the Willing.

Every single prediction made by defenders of the invasion has been wrong.  Iraq has WMDs, greeted as liberators w/ flowers at our feet, Iraq will turn the corner after killing Hussein's kids--after killing Hussein, oil revenues will pay for the war, we can do this war on the cheap...

Every single prediction has been wrong.  I don't want to waste another american life in Iraq b/c some people are still clinging to predictions made by incompetent leaders.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 07:54:48 AM »
Decker..last post was pretty good..first post I don't give a good goddamm about what the Iraqi's think. At this point there should be 5 Iraqi police and soldiers for every one American...they don't care..more interested in killing each other or making money off the black market then rebuilding their country..time to pull back and let them have at it.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 08:03:02 AM »
Decker..last post was pretty good..first post I don't give a good goddamm about what the Iraqi's think. At this point there should be 5 Iraqi police and soldiers for every one American...they don't care..more interested in killing each other or making money off the black market then rebuilding their country..time to pull back and let them have at it.
You know everytime I am critical of this invasion I look at guys like you and it does break my heart.  You are put into an impossible situation and you are doing the best you can. 

I think you make a lot of sense with your idea of letting the Iraqis sort this mess out on their own.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 08:07:36 AM »
You know everytime I am critical of this invasion I look at guys like you and it does break my heart.  You are put into an impossible situation and you are doing the best you can. 

I think you make a lot of sense with your idea of letting the Iraqis sort this mess out on their own.
Thats Funny I look at HH6 and think I still hate the Pats and Tom Brady... ;D

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 08:08:11 AM »
At some point..especially when these guys are not stepping up and about 19 billion in cash aimed at building up police and military is basically wasted/unaccounted for..what are we supposed to do. See Bush was right major combat operatiosn are over...driving downa road and getting blown up is not combat..its suicide by raghead.  We just had a heads up fight with insurgents this past week and we smoked em..thats what the boys want to do...and not drive and die.
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 08:09:10 AM »
Thats Funny I look at HH6 and think I still hate the Pats and Tom Brady... ;D

Your jealous that my QB bangs super models
L

seauantea

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 08:15:21 AM »
The US invades Iraq, destroying lives, families and businesses...throwing the country into civil war...destabilizing the Middle East...

If this is the definition of hero, it seems the 911 hijackers were "heros" as well :(

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 08:20:31 AM »
Your jealous that my QB bangs super models
Nope I am jealous of your super bowl trophies and that you deadlift more then me... ;D

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 08:29:31 AM »
yeah welll be prepared to be unhappy again..i think my boys may have one more run but if TB goes down we're screwed so i try not to talk shit......
L

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 08:51:01 AM »
yeah welll be prepared to be unhappy again..i think my boys may have one more run but if TB goes down we're screwed so i try not to talk shit......
If you guys don't make it there this year with every off season pick up there is something wrong.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 09:00:39 AM »
Injuries....Brady has been solid for so long...just waiting man.
L

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 09:03:27 AM »
Injuries....Brady has been solid for so long...just waiting man.
OK so whats the deadlift up to now I really need to feel depressed... ;D

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 09:15:05 AM »
I stopped for several months...but 3 weeks ago i resumed...sets raw at 405 ...then pulled 500lbs for 3 strapped. I guess I'll try to work my way back up but my siatic nerve has been acting up. Trying to take it slow. No partner right now to keep me going..all these guys are either runners or broke here.
L

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 09:17:28 AM »
I stopped for several months...but 3 weeks ago i resumed...sets raw at 405 ...then pulled 500lbs for 3 strapped. I guess I'll try to work my way back up but my siatic nerve has been acting up. Trying to take it slow. No partner right now to keep me going..all these guys are either runners or broke here.
hahahaha, of course you did. ::)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 09:24:31 AM »
hey fats ass...we all don't consume tons of donuts....then take pictures of ourselves and pretend to make fun of other guys at the gym. If u pulled that shit with me I'd bury as 25lb in your head. Is 500lbs alot...not at 220. And not strapped....My best was last July...deployed 575 strapped..at 218lbs. again sorry your fat..have a donut..i hear its comfort food. My apologies to the rest of the politics board guys..AS got me off topic with Pats bashing..which of course had to be addressed ;D
L

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 09:29:49 AM »
hey fats ass...we all don't consume tons of donuts....then take pictures of ourselves and pretend to make fun of other guys at the gym. If u pulled that shit with me I'd bury as 25lb in your head. Is 500lbs alot...not at 220. And not strapped....My best was last July...deployed 575 strapped..at 218lbs. again sorry your fat..have a donut..i hear its comfort food. My apologies to the rest of the politics board guys..AS got me off topic with Pats bashing..which of course had to be addressed ;D
hahahahaha, epic internet threats ;D another keyboard badass.