Author Topic: Raw Goat Milk  (Read 4934 times)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
Raw Goat Milk
« on: June 29, 2007, 09:15:20 AM »
I can't get raw cow's milk (not pasturized or homogenized) in Aus, but goat's milk is available.

I saw a GP today who said there was a risk of TB from it, but I've also talked to a few folks who say they've been drinking it for years.

Any views on this stuff?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Re: Raw Goat Milk
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:23:59 AM »
raw milk, whether it is from a cow or a goat is awesome stuff.  It's alive with beneficial bacteria, enzymes (including lipase & protease) lactase forming bacteria and immunoglobulins.   All of this gets destroyed during pasturization.  The only problem is getting a safe source of raw milk.  Make sure your source is from some local dairy that DOES NOT also produce pasturized milk.  If they do both, the chances for contamination are higher.

BTW, if you can get raw colostrum even better.
w

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 09:33:16 AM »
I can't get raw cow's milk (not pasturized or homogenized) in Aus, but goat's milk is available.

I saw a GP today who said there was a risk of TB from it, but I've also talked to a few folks who say they've been drinking it for years.

Any views on this stuff?

just drink it!!!!!!

;D

i have been drinking raw milk products for years and NEVER had a problem, even the people I got to drink it never had problems either.
The only things about Goat's Milk, sometimes it can have a very grassy, earthy taste to it. Depending on what it was feeding off of.
I mix my milk with Coconut Oil, Raw Nut Butter (peanut butter), Banana and some organic cocoa powder for taste....You'll have tons of energy from that!!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 09:43:17 AM »
Good suggestions Dr. D.  I also mix in raw macademia/cashew butter.

BTW, all raw milk has varying flavor throughout the year.  In the summer/spring, the cows feed on grass, so it has a grassy taste.  in the fall/winter they are given feed, so it has a different taste.

I drink raw whole colostrom whenever I'm trying to put on size.  Look for the pinkish color, which means it has some blood from the tit.  Also, make sure it's from the first two days after birth.  After the 2nd day it dimishes quickly. 

w

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 09:59:53 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'll ask around but I don't know if I could find colostrum here - when I started asking around for raw milk people got real nervous.  Wouldn't want to get in trouble with the Milk Police.  ::)

I found a shop near work that carries the goat's so I'm a-goin' in on Monday.  Even talked to the farmer who makes it about 4 hours away.  His goats are kidding soon (no joke!) so there's only frozen available, but I'll start with that and grab the fresh stuff when it comes along.

What's your colostrum from Mindspin?  Cow, goat?  What's the benefit in your opinion?  Is it anything to do with the antibodies and "growth enhancers" or is it just more nutritionally dense than milk?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 10:09:15 AM »
Thanks guys.  I'll ask around but I don't know if I could find colostrum here - when I started asking around for raw milk people got real nervous.  Wouldn't want to get in trouble with the Milk Police.  ::)

I found a shop near work that carries the goat's so I'm a-goin' in on Monday.  Even talked to the farmer who makes it about 4 hours away.  His goats are kidding soon (no joke!) so there's only frozen available, but I'll start with that and grab the fresh stuff when it comes along.

What's your colostrum from Mindspin?  Cow, goat?  What's the benefit in your opinion?  Is it anything to do with the antibodies and "growth enhancers" or is it just more nutritionally dense than milk?

Mine comes from cows.  The farm is four hours away from where I live.  So, when I buy it at Whole Foods, the milk is 1-2 days old.  In terms of benefits, it's a very nutritionally dense milk that fits in nicely to a "bulking" diet.  Also, I'm lactose intolerant, so I can't drink regular milk.  Raw milk has live bacteria that digests the lactose. 

Here is my source: www.organicpastures.com

Lots of good info on the website.  The guy who owns the farm is a real whackjob, but he does a great job...
w

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 10:15:45 AM »
.  The guy who owns the farm is a real whackjob, but he does a great job...

hahaha!! Aren't they all.
I have to deal with the Amish....real fun at times!!  :P

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 10:30:18 AM »
Mine comes from cows.  The farm is four hours away from where I live.  So, when I buy it at Whole Foods, the milk is 1-2 days old.  In terms of benefits, it's a very nutritionally dense milk that fits in nicely to a "bulking" diet.  Also, I'm lactose intolerant, so I can't drink regular milk.  Raw milk has live bacteria that digests the lactose. 

Ya, guess I'm lactose "sensitive" - ok with a bit but too much has me rumbling and running to the toilet.

Finding an organic dairy like you've linked is difficult here unfortunately, since all cow's milk must be pasteurized by law in Aus.  There appears to be a small push to legalize raw milk by some cheese makers and a few consumers, but it probably won't pan out.  

I have to admit I'm a bit nervous since dairies might take liberties in terms of sanitation since everyting is going to be pasteurized.  The goat farmer I spoke with sounded sincere tho, and I doubt he'd bullshit me just to sell an extra 1/2 gallon/week.  Others I've spoken with seem ok with it too.

Bet I'll be knocked back by the taste at first, so I'll get used to that and then look around for some goat's colostrum (since it can be legally obtained).  Organic is popular here, so I might get lucky and find a cow farmer nearby with good practices and a willingness to sell black market milk.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 10:31:46 AM »
hahaha!! Aren't they all.
I have to deal with the Amish....real fun at times!!  :P

Haha! 

"You look plain today."  ;D

They wouldn't pasteurize anything tho, so I bet it's good shit!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 10:33:12 AM »
Ya, guess I'm lactose "sensitive" - ok with a bit but too much has me rumbling and running to the toilet.

Finding an organic dairy like you've linked is difficult here unfortunately, since all cow's milk must be pasteurized by law in Aus.  There appears to be a small push to legalize raw milk by some cheese makers and a few consumers, but it probably won't pan out.  

I have to admit I'm a bit nervous since dairies might take liberties in terms of sanitation since everyting is going to be pasteurized.  The goat farmer I spoke with sounded sincere tho, and I doubt he'd bullshit me just to sell an extra 1/2 gallon/week.  Others I've spoken with seem ok with it too.

Bet I'll be knocked back by the taste at first, so I'll get used to that and then look around for some goat's colostrum (since it can be legally obtained).  Organic is popular here, so I might get lucky and find a cow farmer nearby with good practices and a willingness to sell black market milk.

IMO it tastes way better than regular milk...
w

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 10:37:57 AM »
IMO it tastes way better than regular milk...

Ya, I've heard that about the cow version, but the goat's has been described to me variously as:

Grassy and earthy (Dr. D above)
Slightly gamey
Unusual
"A bit strong"
Nasty shit

I'm not too timid tho.  Ok with raw eggs, fish oil from the bottle, weird sushi, etc.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 02:00:32 PM »
Haha! 

"You look plain today."  ;D

They wouldn't pasteurize anything tho, so I bet it's good shit!

yeah their stuff is amazing and always consistent. I deal with 3 different farmers. Their raw milk cheeses are great and soooo much cheaper. Grass fed meats and raw butter as well.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 03:06:27 PM »
i have a milk allergy, think i could get away with drinking it?

ive been avoiding whey, cheese, milk, yogurt etc with less mucus and shit. but im not deficient in lactase.

even protein with lactase gives me mucus if i eat alot.

any thought. i would love to IG's, lactoferrin etc for immune competence.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 03:17:17 PM »

ive been avoiding whey, cheese, milk, yogurt etc with less mucus and shit. but im not deficient in lactase.

You could be. Have you ever eaten raw milk products? I can eat tons of raw milk cheese and I am fine but if I eat pasteurized chesses of any kind, I either bloat up or I get a runny nose and sniffles which is a food sensitivity. Most people I get on raw milk products have no reactions to it whatsoever, unless you are allergic to casein which some people are. If you have any reactions on raw milk products, then I would just eliminate it completely from your diet.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 03:20:35 PM »

from everything I've read/heard, most milk allergies are caused by being lactose intolerant, or the dead bacteria in pasteurized milk...that's right...pasteurized milk still has bacteria, it's just that it is dead (yuck).  That is why it spoils after a while.  Raw milk does not spoil, it simply sours, because the live bacteria multiply...
w

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 03:28:02 PM »
from everything I've read/heard, most milk allergies are caused by being lactose intolerant, or the dead bacteria in pasteurized milk...that's right...pasteurized milk still has bacteria, it's just that it is dead (yuck).  That is why it spoils after a while.  Raw milk does not spoil, it simply sours, because the live bacteria multiply...

yeah. I have posted this in other post. when pasteurized you kill all the healthy bacteria. People are not really " lactose intolerant" but "pasteurized intolerant". When you kill the lactase, you can not digest milk.
Plus, raw milk doesn't go putrid, it turns into sour cream and then into buttermilk through aging and help with the living bacteria. Pasteurized milk goes putrid real quick, but it takes time to smell it because it is loaded with chemicals to prevent the odor from surfacing. They put yellow dye into it to keep it white because when it is pasteurized, it turns a dark gray color.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 05:59:47 PM »

i dont have a lactase deficiency, i was told that i have trouble digesting the protein arrangement in milk.

however my theory is that im simply "allegic" to the ddt,antibiotics,dioxins,drugs contained in the milk. store bought milk is the devil imo.

i think milk is one of the most unhealthy products you can consume(store bought) i havent researched raw milk enough to know.

however good amounts of probiotics and live enzymes would be beneficial along with the immunoglobulins.

thanks for the info, i think ill give it a try, and if i become congested ill simply take it out of the diet.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 06:03:10 PM »
yeah. I have posted this in other post. when pasteurized you kill all the healthy bacteria. People are not really " lactose intolerant" but "pasteurized intolerant". When you kill the lactase, you can not digest milk.
Plus, raw milk doesn't go putrid, it turns into sour cream and then into buttermilk through aging and help with the living bacteria. Pasteurized milk goes putrid real quick, but it takes time to smell it because it is loaded with chemicals to prevent the odor from surfacing. They put yellow dye into it to keep it white because when it is pasteurized, it turns a dark gray color.

how did your certification go after dude?

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 06:26:09 PM »
I drank it for years growing up.  It is hard to say whether I received any benefit.

chirorhino

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 10:32:49 PM »
I saw a GP today who said there was a risk of TB

There is definitely the risk of TB from unpasteurized milk and milk products. It is why unpasteurized milks/cheeses are not imported into the US.

With that said, if you can find a reputable source it's benefits are excellent so drink away!

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2007, 12:24:41 AM »
how did your certification go after dude?

Passed it but it was brutal. Thanks for asking!

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2007, 12:26:55 AM »
There is definitely the risk of TB from unpasteurized milk and milk products. It is why unpasteurized milks/cheeses are not imported into the US.

They will import raw milk cheese but they have to be aged for at least 60 days.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 06:31:21 AM »
Dr D.  Why aren't the food coloring or chemicals listed on the ingredients label of milk?

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 07:28:38 AM »
Dr D.  Why aren't the food coloring or chemicals listed on the ingredients label of milk?

I posted this in the " Fat Free Milk" thread as well:

Because of a law called  " GRAS" by the FDA....that means " General Regarded As Safe".
They don't have to put in on the label under this BS law.
Read about it here:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/grasguid.html

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2007, 06:12:12 AM »
I love how its generally regarded.  Lol.  It might be,might not be, oh well...  Funny thing to is that GRAS in french means FAT.

I posted this in the " Fat Free Milk" thread as well:

Because of a law called  " GRAS" by the FDA....that means " General Regarded As Safe".
They don't have to put in on the label under this BS law.
Read about it here:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/grasguid.html