Author Topic: So the Fertitta brothers bought PRIDE because..........  (Read 2645 times)

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
So the Fertitta brothers bought PRIDE because..........
« on: July 01, 2007, 06:29:05 PM »
thats the question:

It certainly wasn't to have any new fights!  Everything on PRIDEFC.com has been TBA for months now.  If the deal was to buy a struggling organization and get it back on its feet...you do that buy canceling all its shows and ending any news or developments on its website?

Why would you take a viable product, with TV coverage, regular scheduled events and remove it from the public arena with no updates...isn't that a sure way to "kill a product"???

Where are the megafights we were supposed to have?  Wasn't Fujita/Monson supposed to be the first of many?

Are any UFC fighters going to fight in Japan under their rules or is it all UFC now?

I bring this up because UFC gives us maybe one decent headliner fight every 3 months...5 fights each PPV.
There are a hell of a lot of fighters in the world that participated in PRIDE...I don't see them sitting around waiting for a chance to fight Josh Koscheck sometime in 2009.

Whose feeding the huge Japanese audience's need for fights??.  We know that the UFC rules and lack of technique has been a turnoff for them, so I can't imagine some money guys aren't going to pick up on this and scoop up these free agents.  Someone has to want that money.  Japanese audience are known for having an insatiable appetite for MMA fighting...and they are one of the wealthiest nations on the planet.

K-1 maybe?  Bodog? Perhaps...but when is UFC going to make its move?  They take all these international fighters and then go to Ireland for a fight, where Rich Franklin shadowboxes a nobody for two rounds. 

Jesus Christ, I am willing to pay for PRIDE style fights and I imagine that millions of others will as well.  Sell us the product dammit!

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: So the Fertitta brothers bought PRIDE because..........
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 06:42:17 PM »
PRIDE's being "reborn" in August.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 06:48:26 PM »
PRIDE's being "reborn" in August.

How do you know this...have a link?
Thx

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 07:23:15 PM »
There's this
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=8015

Then there's this
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=8129

I also noticed just today that  Pride is using the hour block they have on Fox Sports Net to build Dan Henderson for his upcoming fight against Quinton Jackson. They showed an hour worth of classic Henderson fights and during this, Trigg and Glazer talked about the upcoming Pride vs. UFC, champion vs.champion fight at UFC 75.
Predictions
 40/61

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 08:16:40 PM »
Cool.  Thanks for the links

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 08:36:05 PM »

Why would you take a viable product, with TV coverage, regular scheduled events and remove it from the public arena with no updates...isn't that a sure way to "kill a product"???

That's the whole point.  The Fertittas pretty much cornered the MMA market by using the tried and true formula of buying out your competitor. It was smart business on their part. What isn't smart is allowing the UFC to be run by Dana White. Does anyone in their right mind expect anything creative or innovative to come out of this guy?

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 11:19:11 PM »
65 Million dollars got them all the tape they could use to hype upcoming fighters.  Too bad some of the big names have yet to fight.  But if you gots the money..... ;D

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 05:24:15 AM »
for me it looks like they will just kill pride and stay just with UFC, wich is a stupid move ...Why dont stay with 2 organizations , having audience in the whole world and getting money from the 2 at the same time?
 doing fights between fighters of the 2 events would be simply awesome...It looks like they dont care about the japanese market, because it will take forever to make UFC sucessfull there as they are in USA
 K1 should have brougt Pride....
!

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 10:21:39 AM »
It looks like they dont care about the japanese market, because it will take forever to make UFC sucessfull there as they are in USA

Exactly. The reason the UFC bought Pride wasn't to gain a foothold in the Japanese market. It was so that Pride wouldn't  get a foothold in the American market.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2007, 06:58:32 PM »
http://ufcmania.com/2007/06/19/sianara-pride-fc/

an interesting new development...personally I would rather see Pride get bought by someone else or have a new organization move in.  I prefer the boxing ring so fighters can't just pin an opponent up against and rain elbows hoping for a stoppage.  I think it gives the ground game more room to breathe.  On the other hand, I also like kicks to the head and soccer stomps so BJJ guys can't just lay there.  Superior rules in my opinion.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 03:20:51 PM »
I for one hope Pride or at least an organization with similar rules is reborn.  I find the fights there much more exciting and by standing them up so quickly when they were inactive prevented the humping matches many UFC fights turn into.  A perfect example of the difference was Heath Herrings first UFC fight...it was brutal but in Pride he generally entertained

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2007, 04:43:09 PM »
Exactly. The reason the UFC bought Pride wasn't to gain a foothold in the Japanese market. It was so that Pride wouldn't  get a foothold in the American market.

Totally agree, that and the Fertitta's brothers had 65 million burning a hole in their wallets.