Author Topic: Home Made Nut Mix  (Read 1318 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Home Made Nut Mix
« on: July 01, 2007, 07:02:50 PM »
per serving; almonds (9), walnuts (4 pieces), peanuts (10g), Brazil nuts (2) [NOTE: all should be raw, not roasted with no flavorings of any kind]

CALS: 206
FAT: 18g
PROT: 6g
CARB: 5g
FIBER: 2.5g

Basically, take 1/4 cup of almonds, 1/4 cup of walnuts, 1/4 cup of peanuts and 8 Brazil nuts, dividing mixture evenly into 4 servings.  Based on my reading, this mixture provides the best combination of healthy fats and minerals which aid metabolism.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
  • Vince and Derek: Match made in GetBig Heaven!
Re: Home Made Nut Mix
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 07:12:15 PM »
Just as long as they are raw and not roasted.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 07:30:39 PM »
Just as long as they are raw and not roasted.

I agree 100%.  Not roasted, no salt, no flavorings.

I will modify my post above to reflect this.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 07:52:28 PM »
You need to sprout nuts as well as grains because of the Phytic acid. Phytic acid is present in the coatings of seeds and nuts. As I am sure you are aware, many health and nutrition experts advocate the consumption of nuts and seeds and they are prevalent in many health food bars. Unfortunately, eating nuts and seeds without soaking them for at least 8-12 hours to break down the phytic acid can produce the same enzyme blocking and mineral blocking effects eating un-sprouted grains can.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 08:00:54 AM »
You need to sprout nuts as well as grains because of the Phytic acid. Phytic acid is present in the coatings of seeds and nuts. As I am sure you are aware, many health and nutrition experts advocate the consumption of nuts and seeds and they are prevalent in many health food bars. Unfortunately, eating nuts and seeds without soaking them for at least 8-12 hours to break down the phytic acid can produce the same enzyme blocking and mineral blocking effects eating un-sprouted grains can.

Interesting...Can you explain this a little more? 
Phytic acid prevents the absorption of the enzymes and minerals in nuts and seeds, thereby reducing the health benefits unless they are soaked?
Soak raw nuts and seeds in water for 8-12 hours before eating them?  Does this apply to things like bulk raw almonds from the grocery store?

Thanks.
:)

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 09:01:32 AM »

Interesting...Can you explain this a little more? 
Phytic acid prevents the absorption of the enzymes and minerals in nuts and seeds, thereby reducing the health benefits unless they are soaked?
Soak raw nuts and seeds in water for 8-12 hours before eating them?  Does this apply to things like bulk raw almonds from the grocery store?

Thanks.

Soaking seeds, nuts and grains will break down the Phyto-nutrients (Phytic acid). Phytic Acid is known as a mineral blocker and it's broken down in the sprouting process. Phytic acid is present in the bran of all grains, the coating of nuts and seeds and inhibits the absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc , ( just like Soy). These inhibitors can neutralize our own digestive enzymes, resulting in the digestive disorders experienced by many people who eat unsprouted grains, nuts or seeds. There are many scientific indicators linking grain consumption to rheumatic and arthritic conditions as well. Complex sugars responsible for intestinal gas are broken down during sprouting and a portion of the starch in grain is transformed into sugar. Sprouting also inactivates aflatoxins, which are toxins produced by fungus and are potent carcinogens found in grains. This is why you need to find organic nuts, seeds and grains.
  The process of sprouting not only produces vitamin C; it changes the composition of the grain in numerous ways that make it more beneficial as a food. For example, sprouting increases the content of such vitamins as vitamin B, B2, B5 and B6. Carotene, which is converted to vitamin A, increases dramatically -- sometimes eight-fold.
  What I do is, bring a pot of Spring water to a slight boil, almost to a simmer, shut it off and dump the nuts into it, cover and let it sit overnight. In the morning, drain and I usually let them sit out in the sun to dry out or put them in an oven at 150 degrees and slowly let the moisture evaporate.
I wouldn't let them sit too long in a container because they will grow mold on them. I put my in the Frig and they last about 2 weeks. I would make it in small amounts and eat them within the week. They are much softer and easier on the mouth.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 09:05:09 AM »
  Soaking seeds, nuts and grains will break down the Phyto-nutrients (Phytic acid). Phytic Acid is known as a mineral blocker and it's broken down in the sprouting process. Phytic acid is present in the bran of all grains, the coating of nuts and seeds and inhibits the absorption of calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and zinc , ( just like Soy). These inhibitors can neutralize our own digestive enzymes, resulting in the digestive disorders experienced by many people who eat unsprouted grains, nuts or seeds. There are many scientific indicators linking grain consumption to rheumatic and arthritic conditions as well. Complex sugars responsible for intestinal gas are broken down during sprouting and a portion of the starch in grain is transformed into sugar. Sprouting also inactivates aflatoxins, which are toxins produced by fungus and are potent carcinogens found in grains. This is why you need to find organic nuts, seeds and grains.
  The process of sprouting not only produces vitamin C; it changes the composition of the grain in numerous ways that make it more beneficial as a food. For example, sprouting increases the content of such vitamins as vitamin B, B2, B5 and B6. Carotene, which is converted to vitamin A, increases dramatically -- sometimes eight-fold.
  What I do is, bring a pot of Spring water to a slight boil, almost to a simmer, shut it off and dump the nuts into it, cover and let it sit overnight. In the morning, drain and I usually let them sit out in the sun to dry out or put them in an oven at 150 degrees and slowly let the moisture evaporate.
I wouldn't let them sit too long in a container because they will grow mold on them. I put my in the Frig and they last about 2 weeks. I would make it in small amounts and eat them within the week. They are much softer and easier on the mouth.

Not to elevate form over substance, but how does the soaking affect the taste and texture?

Another comment- it seems counter-intuitive that the human body did not evolve so as to be able to use nuts in their most natural form without an artifical process.  I don't doubt what you are saying but it seems odd.

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 09:11:09 AM »
Not to elevate form over substance, but how does the soaking affect the taste and texture?

Another comment- it seems counter-intuitive that the human body did not evolve so as to be able to use nuts in their most natural form without an artifical process.  I don't doubt what you are saying but it seems odd.

The taste is the same, texture is softer.

Grains are part and parcel with the story of bread, neither of which the human machinery is designed to function on optimally. While I'm sure this comment is a surprise to you, significant amounts of scientific evidence suggests that for all of human evolution -- right up until approximately 10,000 years ago -- the primary staple in the diets of most civilizations was animal meat.
  There were times when meat was scarce for a variety of reasons but, in general, our consumption of fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds was seasonal and supplementary. Most of the animals we ate, such as deer, were plant eaters. These animals had condensed nutrition in their meats (1 pound of meat contained the nutritional equivalent of several pounds of vegetables).
   Such a nutrient-dense source of nourishment allowed us to have sustenance during the winter months when we had minimal food storage methods other than the cold itself. Although many argue (mostly from an emotional bias) that we must have carbohydrate sources to function, current biochemistry reveals that we do have the capacity to convert some fat molecules (glycerol) into carbohydrates.
  While there are many controversial theories as to why we began farming, it is more commonly agreed on that we began farming practices, or nurturing the growth of specific plant species and domesticating animals no longer than 20,000 years ago and more likely as soon as 10,000 years ago.During this time, there has been a progressive increase in the consumption of grains and grain-based products, yet this time period is but a flash in the scope of human evolution, during which our digestive machinery was formed.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2007, 09:28:25 AM »

Very interesting, thanks. 

I use sprouted grain breads (ezekial) already, but I usually don't pay much attention to the nuts and seeds, as I always figured that most any old nut/seed was a good and relatively nutritious snack...including roasted nuts.   :-\

Do you recommend this same process for raw seeds like pumpkin and sunflower seeds? 

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 09:30:10 AM »
I like pistachios...unsalted and no dye

they aren't that good for you though
X

Dr. D

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 09:30:37 AM »

Do you recommend this same process for raw seeds like pumpkin and sunflower seeds? 

yes, but it's really up to you. It's not really life or death if you do , you just get the better benefits from sprouting.  At least go with organic variety.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 10:11:05 AM »
yes, but it's really up to you. It's not really life or death if you do , you just get the better benefits from sprouting.  At least go with organic variety.

Thanks again for the info. 
If the benefits are clear and taste is not compromised, and if it's not a total pain in the ass, which it doesn't sound like it is, then it's worth it.   
I actually never knew that I wasn't getting the most out of the nuts and seeds that I have been eating.