Author Topic: Poll: Favorite exercises for each bodypart  (Read 7665 times)

Honour

• Getbig IV
  • She's with me!
Re: Poll: Favorite exercises for each bodypart
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 12:06:57 AM »

am hardly seeking very developed traps or forearms either

Yeah i agree with you CQ, IMO a nice fitness figure doesn't have huge traps as they tent to make a woman look bulky and a bit less feminine, just my opinion though and of course each to there own :).

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2007, 04:41:48 PM »
the excercises im listing here have given me the most gains

Biceps: standing olympic bar curls.. preacher barbell curls straight bar

Triceps: close grip benches skull crushers..(extended behind the head) v bar pressdowns

Upper back and lower back: chins deadlifts barbell and dumbell rows

Quads: squats leg presses leg extensions (i hate workin legs)

Hamstrings: no favs here legcurls

Calves:

Delts: dumbell presses side laterals

Forearms: dont work em

Traps:

Chest: flat dumbell presses..and barbell presses
choice is an illusion

The_Crusher

• Getbig II
  • It's not a workout until you bust blood vessels
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 08:38:00 PM »
Biceps:

Triceps:

Upper back and lower back:

Quads: Leg Press

Hamstrings: Stiff Leg deadlifts

Calves: Standing Calf raises

Delts: Dumbell Side Lats.

Forearms: Nothing, just grab your own weights.

Traps: Dumbell Shrugs

Chest: Dips/Dumbell Pull-overs

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 05:54:54 AM »
I know there will be multiples for things like arms and back but fill it out so others can get some ideas and it could be a reference point for everybody.

Biceps:  Incline Db Curls

Triceps:  One arm overhead Db extensions

Upper back and lower back:  Barbell rows/ Deadlifts or Stiff-leg deads

Quads:  Front squats with heels on a brick

Hamstrings:  Stiff-leg deadlifts

Calves:  One-leg bodyweight calf raises

Delts:  Bent-over raises/lateral raises/front raises triset

Forearms:  Db wrist curls Chuck Sipes style

Traps:  Db shrugs

Chest:  Gironda Dips or incline Db press

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 11:13:42 AM »
i rotate exercises so i don't get stale or worse, get injured like i did recently. i was doing very heavy rest pause pull-ups with heavy weights attached (worked up to adding 133lbs) from the waist and hanging at the back of me. i stand on the ground and then was doing a kind of prestretch movement where i hung with the weight (i weigh 235 + 133) and lierally ripped myself toward the bar whereby my head would come close to hitting the bar, so there was a lot of momentum involved. i did this purposefully as to increase by ready power for sport.

i did this for as many reps done rest pause as i could and then finished off with partials.

i did this, increasing the weight and reps, etc after my rowing for back and bis development in lieu of any direct bi work as i felt that if there was anything left for bis/forearms after doing this with partials for 20 something reps i wasn't doing it.

everything was going great but then i started feeling sore in what i felt must be the left lat. cut a long story short it just got worse and i started to compromise when i felt some burning in the region and ceased doing them.

when i looked in the mirror i saw bruising along the long head of my left tri.

the pain i was feeling, although felt in the lat area, was actually my left tri long head muscle which i realised inserts up near the shoulder, arm pit area hence the pain in the lat.

another reason why i would never have guessed it was this muscle is that the pull-up has never been considered a movement that involved that tri long head, especially with the rom i was using. interesting, but i can only assume it was because of the angle of my body with all that weight hanging off the back and then the prestretch overload and pull.

anyway, that was the ened of that movement so i have recently started heavy narrow grip cheat curls, again done rest pause with elbows in front of body and from the power rack.

this protocol seems to be working well and i compliment it with heavy rev narrow curls with cheat (kind of looks like a clean with narrow grip).

so that covers the arms where i only do 1 extended rest pause set and everything is as heavy as possible. i need to be as strong and powerful as possible for my sport. i have 19 inch cold arms on a 35 inch waist, 19 3/4 inch neck and 53 inch chest so, imo, what i'm doing works pretty well for bbing aswell.

chest and tris are heavy parallel bar dips (again, attached weights) rest pause reps. later i do plyometric very close hands (touching thumbs) pushups with elbows in, but i push right through until my shoulders are extended before i leavy the ground. i do these for power and speed but i extend them at the end and get a great pump in the tris, pecs and delts. i love it.

back is rows as explained in the hammie thread here.

i do one leg static reps calf raise with heavy weights.

i do neck work and some grip work and that's all i do, my entire workout.

pretty boring and simple but i love the effects. i am getting stronger by the day. i love it so much i'm dreading the transition from the off-season

i know it probably won't sit well with most of you because it's pretty well off the wall with no real specific bbing training (btw, i don't do specific shoulder training at all) but it suits my functional sport purposes.

anyway, i was asked to post here so that's what i'm doing.

i'd be very interested to know what y'all think, good or bad. i'll probably put some pics up soon. i suppose it's about time i did that too since i seem to be spending time on these boards.

regardless of what you may think of my training, i've tried pretty much everything in the past and i have settled on these exercises because they are progressive (not as many injuries as with something like bench press) and i know how to set up my body so as to utilize the muscles i'm targetting while maintaining the all important progressive weights, which i believe is the real key to training ie it's not what you do, it's how you do it. granted, i compromised a little too much for the sake of ballistic power in the pull-up.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2007, 01:29:39 PM »
Beast - What sport?
I know what your saying on the Tris. When we (over)load heavy enough,
muscles far away come to play.  Shiet, I make my legs and foot arches very sore after benchpress.
My ass dont leave the bench, but I know how to get some REAL LEG DRIVE!
Pretty sure I read, Mendelson says leg drive is good for 100+ lbs if done right.Bench.
Dude, your development is nothing to argue with. Most pPL  OVERSCIENCE this crap.
I like Priests "this aint rocket science".

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2007, 10:36:53 AM »
Beast - What sport?
I know what your saying on the Tris. When we (over)load heavy enough,
muscles far away come to play.  Shiet, I make my legs and foot arches very sore after benchpress.
My ass dont leave the bench, but I know how to get some REAL LEG DRIVE!
Pretty sure I read, Mendelson says leg drive is good for 100+ lbs if done right.Bench.
Dude, your development is nothing to argue with. Most pPL  OVERSCIENCE this crap.
I like Priests "this aint rocket science".

trab

i compete in mixed martial arts. when i was younger i competed in boxing and i have made the transition over the last few years.

mma requires a little more strength and power than boxing with a particular emphasis on pulls.

i wanted to make my weights intense but brief and so looked into more of a hit approach (so as to keep training time less) but i've found that hit is bs. simply put, not enough time is spent with heavy weight, so i got into more of a rest pause thing where the intention was to get strong but i've actually found myself adding muscular mass like never before. i'm in off season mode and i'm addicted to this weights stuff now so i'm going to have to stream line the body weight and drop the weights at some point to get more specific ie interval, sprints, cardio, plyos, etc etc, but...damn i love strength training, it's so much simpler. actually it couldn't be more simpler, i just zero in my focus on the movement, apply weight and smash it to death. i do my weights at home too (fuck the gym), i got a shit load of olympic weights, power rack, dipping bars, pull-up and that's all i need.

i dunno, i'm growing like never before (when i used to do the more regimented routines with sets and reps and shit ie bbing) and i basically do zero isolation movements. just all heavy compound stuff.

the idea was (and as advised by strength and conditioning trainer) that i wouldn't get muscle bound ie arms too big and stuff, but what's actually happened is that my arms, delts, everything is growing like never before. i actually keep motivated by reading stuff on getbig. i see some of the animals that post here like wolfe, priest, hell even keith inspires me with his stories. i watch kaz, coen, even coleman on youtube and all i want to do is go rip the weights apart again.

i love strength and power and what motivates me about bbing is the all round strength and power (p/lifting seems too constricted sometimes) although i couldn't stand the thought of building large useless muscle from light pumping movements. apologies to the pumpers out there but having large but not strong muscle ie capillary and sarcoplasm growth is suicide for a fighter. synthol, for example, would be the worst thing a fighter could do. so size for the sake of size is most definitely a no no and i fear that more than being skinny. i'd rather be skinny and functional tbh.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2007, 11:53:18 AM »
Yeah, a regimented BBing program is not too valuable to the Hurtin Business ;D.
Tyson - "I'm in the hurtin' Biz and I intend to do my job!"

Light weight is a dead end IMO. Take a bunch of dope and pump light for some muscle w/ no integrity ::)
Shit melts off like butter. (Heavy is relative, RipitupBabbys heavy ain't Branch's)

Do what works. Everyone looking for a magic formula (esp w/ dope ::)) there ain't one.
Look how thick & strong a lot of big const workers and farmers are even though they labor in the hot sun.
They eat a lot and move heavy stuff. That's it.

Watch any Thai boxing? I love to watch around the 130-150lb guys when I'm there.
 Lightning. Fight like pitbulls. Tough Game yur in man.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »
Yeah, a regimented BBing program is not too valuable to the Hurtin Business ;D.
Tyson - "I'm in the hurtin' Biz and I intend to do my job!"

Light weight is a dead end IMO. Take a bunch of dope and pump light for some muscle w/ no integrity ::)
Shit melts off like butter. (Heavy is relative, RipitupBabbys heavy ain't Branch's)

Do what works. Everyone looking for a magic formula (esp w/ dope ::)) there ain't one.
Look how thick & strong a lot of big const workers and farmers are even though they labor in the hot sun.
They eat a lot and move heavy stuff. That's it.

Watch any Thai boxing? I love to watch around the 130-150lb guys when I'm there.
 Lightning. Fight like pitbulls. Tough Game yur in man.

muai thai is excellent. the thai guys own it, but did you actually go to the gyms and see how they live? most actually live in the gym to save money. they don't get paid much at all and basically get treated like slaves.

they train all day every day and do things to prepare their bodies that i wouldn't dream of. they bash away on thick wooden poles with shins, elbows, fists. their careers are shortened by the fact that they strike a lot with elbows and knees which causes deep cuts until their face gets so scarred that they bleed at the slightest aggravation.

i don't have a specific muai thai trainer for this discipline, but i don't use the legs much anyway (apart from getting me in range to strike with fists or shoot). the only kicks i use in comp are roundouse kicks to thighs and hips to slow an opponent down and take away his sharpness.

i just don't have the agility to kick like the thai guys do and then ge back on balance quick enough, at which point i'm wide open for my opponent to shoot in and get a single or double takedown.

don't know how all this strength work is going to pan out, but i'll cotinue for now.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2007, 07:05:23 PM »

i wanted to make my weights intense but brief and so looked into more of a hit approach (so as to keep training time less) but i've found that hit is bs. simply put, not enough time is spent with heavy weight, so i got into more of a rest pause thing

Rest-pause i promote as often as possible as one of the best but under-used and neglected intensity techniques. Different from some of the others, and somehow more effective, to me because you're actually knocking those extra reps out by yourself.

That and partials, also under-used and under-valued.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2007, 10:30:36 PM »
Rest-pause i promote as often as possible as one of the best but under-used and neglected intensity techniques. Different from some of the others, and somehow more effective, to me because you're actually knocking those extra reps out by yourself.

That and partials, also under-used and under-valued.

exactly, and what i love about them is that you can re focus and fill up (breath, tight) between each rep.

i always seem to be carrying sporting injuries of one kind or another these days so this is a much better way to train, because if the weight feels too heavy or too strained or even if i miss the groove on the first rep, no problem, because i just stop, take some breaths and carry on. in the past, when i continued the set (as if the muscle cares how quickly you do your reps ::)) the whole set would be shitty and then the next set would be shitty and i wouldn't achieve my goals for that day. it's like rest pause awakens your body to the weight gradually and once the body is in the groove, yeah, you just keep going right into partials and you have this deep muscle fatigue instead of just being out of breath or lactic.

i believe people quit too easily with the regimented formula because they are too confined to reacting to emotion ie fear of pain, lack of breath or lactic acid. to get to the muscle, imo, you need to go beyond these things and rest pause is a great way to do it.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2007, 07:57:07 AM »

i believe people quit too easily with the regimented formula because they are too confined to reacting to emotion ie fear of pain, lack of breath or lactic acid. to get to the muscle, imo, you need to go beyond these things and rest pause is a great way to do it.

There's this whole notion popular now amongst some about not going to failure, which i find bizarre. The whole idea is to overload the muscle with stress it's unaccustomed to, to force it to adapt yet i'm seeing more and more of "i don't train to failure" - and they're only referring to positive failure.

Why not admit you're just lazy? Change is not easy physically or mentally, and requires real effort. I notice that Milos also applies real intensity.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2007, 08:54:10 AM »
There's this whole notion popular now amongst some about not going to failure, which i find bizarre. The whole idea is to overload the muscle with stress it's unaccustomed to, to force it to adapt yet i'm seeing more and more of "i don't train to failure" - and they're only referring to positive failure.

Why not admit you're just lazy? Change is not easy physically or mentally, and requires real effort. I notice that Milos also applies real intensity.

agreed

the body prefers to maintain homeostatis and resists change beyond a certain point if not absolutely necessary. gaining massive muscular size is just not a priority for the human body. active muscle tissue is expensive in terms of energy requirements so, beyond a certain point the body must be forced to adapt to greater loads. it seems obvious to me that the greater the demands you put on the musculoskeletal system the more it must adapt or it will perish.

the question is, what is true muscular failure and what level of muscular fatigue does it take to get there?

seems to me it depends on too many variables eg motivation, perception, pain tolerance, history (eg. being told from early age not to lift anything too heavy in case they hurt themselves), environmental factors, conditioning, etc, etc.

how can your average recreational athlete possibly know for sure what true failure is when even gifted athletes/coaches don't know (eg. we all know the story of the 4 minute mile) i can see why it's a popular theory though. ;D

ever notice that people tend to fail at nice even numbers ie 6, 8, 10, 12, 20, 50, 100. no one seems to ever fail at 7, 11, 27, 51, 97. if someone has done 17 reps and they're straining their guts out, you still expect them to do 20, but why not 21? someone does 100 reps, why not 101?

why 20 rep squats? as opposed to 21 or 23 rep squats?

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2007, 11:53:51 AM »
When you do the pause on a box squat or board press/bench or  floor press bench press,
Its like a reload of energy or somthing. Its a great method to use now and then.

I better not mention those big exercise balls, some guys bigger than me that bench less will laugh at me, but
rest pause on them w/ DB's on a chest press incline is good. A little controled bounce cheating now and then never hurt Bretil Fox's mass.

BEAST 8692

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2007, 12:04:46 PM »
When you do the pause on a box squat or board press/bench or  floor press bench press,
Its like a reload of energy or somthing. Its a great method to use now and then.

I better not mention those big exercise balls, some guys bigger than me that bench less will laugh at me, but
rest pause on them w/ DB's on a chest press incline is good. A little controled bounce cheating now and then never hurt Bretil Fox's mass.

gee fox had some density didn't he?

imo, out of contest (he never looked good contest time for some reeason) he had some freaky arms.

dense, thick and massive as hell. xrays wouldn't show the bones in that man's upper arm.

yes, he cheat curled his ass off. he obviously knew what he was doing though.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2007, 01:35:18 PM »

I have always believed box squats are the best thigh size builder, and used them more than anything else over the years. Not only does the bench allow you to rest-pause as required, it's also safer - you can always sit back down upon failure, plus it's easier on the knees IMO.

Partials like this can be great the most effective alternative, for any exercise.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2007, 02:57:39 PM »
Biceps:  dummbell curls done slowly

Triceps: Tricep pressdowns

Upper back and lower back:  Deadlifts

Quads: squats

Hamstrings: lying leg curls

Calves: standing calf press machine

Delts: don't work then much anymore to much pain

Forearms: reverse grip curls

Traps:  shrugs

Chest: Bench Press

Masters- 50-54
148#

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2007, 03:48:57 PM »
Biceps:  db or preacher curls

Triceps: skull crushers with eazy bar then rep out with close grip

Upper back and lower back:  Deadlifts, pull ups, db rows

Quads: squats

Hamstrings: sldl

Calves: seated calf raises

Delts: cling and press, cable lat raises

Forearms: reverse grip curls

Traps:  db shrugs

Chest: incline db bench press

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2007, 10:01:21 AM »
chest:  BB flat bench
Back: deadlifts/pull ups
quads: squats
Hams: lying leg curls
calves: seated calf press
shoulders: clean and press/standing push press
triceps: french press
biceps: BB curls w/ olympic bar
traps: shrug rows

Kyubi

• Getbig I
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2007, 11:28:15 PM »

Biceps:DB Hammer

Triceps:Skull Crusher

Upper back:Lat Pull Downs

lower back:Deadlifts

Quads:Squats

Hamstrings:Deadlifts

Calves:NA

Delts:DB Press

Forearms:NA

Traps:NA

Chest:Bench Press

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2007, 04:02:49 PM »
Quads - Front Squats
Hamstrings - Dumbbell Stiff-leg Deadlifts
Calves - Seat Calf Raises
Chest - Incline Benchpress
Shoulders - Behind the Neck Presses
Back - Rows
Traps - Dumbbell Shrugs (I rarely train them but when I do it's high reps - 25+)
Biceps - Preacher Curls (seated with Dumbbell) ot Hammer Curls (it's a tie)
Triceps - One-Arm Dumbbell Extensions
Forearms - Reverse-grip Curls
Abs - Cable Crunches
Cardio - Elliptical Machine

benchthis

• Getbig V
  • operation deep throat
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2007, 01:50:45 PM »
Quads - Front Squats
Hamstrings - Dumbbell Stiff-leg Deadlifts
Calves - Seat Calf Raises
Chest - Incline Benchpress
Shoulders - Behind the Neck Presses
Back - Rows
Traps - Dumbbell Shrugs (I rarely train them but when I do it's high reps - 25+)
Biceps - Preacher Curls (seated with Dumbbell) ot Hammer Curls (it's a tie)
Triceps - One-Arm Dumbbell Extensions
Forearms - Reverse-grip Curls
Abs - Cable Crunches
Cardio - Elliptical Machine
WHATS THE LAST ONE YOU SAID?? WHATS CARDIO ???

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2007, 07:47:35 AM »
i rotate exercises so i don't get stale or worse, get injured like i did recently. i was doing very heavy rest pause pull-ups with heavy weights attached (worked up to adding 133lbs) from the waist and hanging at the back of me. i stand on the ground and then was doing a kind of prestretch movement where i hung with the weight (i weigh 235 + 133) and lierally ripped myself toward the bar whereby my head would come close to hitting the bar, so there was a lot of momentum involved. i did this purposefully as to increase by ready power for sport.

i did this for as many reps done rest pause as i could and then finished off with partials.

i did this, increasing the weight and reps, etc after my rowing for back and bis development in lieu of any direct bi work as i felt that if there was anything left for bis/forearms after doing this with partials for 20 something reps i wasn't doing it.

everything was going great but then i started feeling sore in what i felt must be the left lat. cut a long story short it just got worse and i started to compromise when i felt some burning in the region and ceased doing them.

when i looked in the mirror i saw bruising along the long head of my left tri.

Especially with age it's best to put thought into small nuances in training that will help to minimize the chance of injury. Some of the things that should be avoided individually and in combination, IMO:

Explosive motions and/or momentum and/or bouncing and/or exercises that put you in a precarious position in which it's easy to be injured and/or overly-heavy weights AKA under 8-10 reps and/or overly-long rests between sets. I find that with age keeping the reps 10-12 or higher makes more sense in reducing the possibility of injury; also helpful is keeping the rests between sets at 1 minute or less, both to keep the intensity up while using lower weight and to keep the area warm.