Author Topic: ESPN Televises Hot Dog eating  (Read 3531 times)

ja351

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
ESPN Televises Hot Dog eating
« on: July 05, 2007, 05:32:08 AM »
How bad must it be for the IFBB when a hot dog eating contest has a bigger crowd, more exposure and is televised on ESPN when body building cant????!!!!

OneManGang

• Getbig IV
Re: ESPN Televises Hot Dog eating
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 05:36:02 AM »
How bad must it be for the IFBB when a hot dog eating contest has a bigger crowd, more exposure and is televised on ESPN when body building cant????!!!!

It is not so easy to televise IFBB-style "hotdog-eating" with Derek Anthony and the rest of the G4P crew. Not many serious TV channels wish to broadcast such slease.

MikeThaMachine

• Getbig V
  • WTF Happened, BBing Is Dead. I Didn't Miss A Thing
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 05:38:55 AM »
HAHAHAHA I was talking to a dude a my gym yesterday about that while the contest was one. He is about 10 yrs older then me and doesn't even remember when BBing used to be shown on ESPN back in the mid-early 90's. The spelling bee was shown yet again after the Hot Dog contest and I also saw commercials for the National Rock Paper Scissors Championships this weekend. ESPN is turning into the MTV of the sports world.
I

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 05:39:19 AM »

Yes, because hot dog eating is exciting to watch.  Bodybuilding is actually nothing more than a modeling contest
A

OneManGang

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 05:43:57 AM »

Yes, because hot dog eating is exciting to watch.  Bodybuilding is actually nothing more than a modeling contest

You might prefer to watch male "hotdog-eating" while normal people like to watch female modeling contests... ::)

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 05:46:16 AM »

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 06:15:21 AM »
since when was professional bodybuilding considered a "sport" in the media ???
Get Big, or Die Trying

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 06:20:34 AM »

Everyone eats hotdogs and hardly anyone bodybuilds or really knows anything about it.  All the general public sees is big grotesque men all oiled up on stage dancing around in their underwear.  Now show me a guy sitting at a local bar who would want to be seen watching this.

The general public can't appreciate everything else that goes into being a bb,  they just see half naked freaks.

On the fourth of July one out of every two americans will have a hot dog.  An expected 150 million hot dogs was eaten yesterday.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 06:27:39 AM »
since when was professional bodybuilding considered a "sport" in the media ???

thank you    ;D
A

ja351

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 06:42:43 AM »
Everyone eats hotdogs and hardly anyone bodybuilds or really knows anything about it.  All the general public sees is big grotesque men all oiled up on stage dancing around in their underwear.  Now show me a guy sitting at a local bar who would want to be seen watching this.

The general public can't appreciate everything else that goes into being a bb,  they just see half naked freaks.

On the fourth of July one out of every two americans will have a hot dog.  An expected 150 million hot dogs was eaten yesterday.

You have just outlined why bodybuilding is a sporting joke

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 07:05:22 AM »
HAHAHAHA I was talking to a dude a my gym yesterday about that while the contest was one. He is about 10 yrs older then me and doesn't even remember when BBing used to be shown on ESPN back in the mid-early 90's. The spelling bee was shown yet again after the Hot Dog contest and I also saw commercials for the National Rock Paper Scissors Championships this weekend. ESPN is turning into the MTV of the sports world.

ESPN did show bodybuilding back in the early-to-mid 90s, mainly on a TV show, called American Muscle. However, most of the time, the show aired during the ungodly hours of the morning (2 or 3 a.m.). The highlights came mainly from amateur shows from the NPC. Occasionally, they would show footage from other organizations like NABBA and ANBC.  It would also show highlights of pro shows from the IFBB (and, in 1991 and 1992, it covered the two WBF Championships).

American Muscle, an hour-long show, aired once a month, with re-runs airing during the months, called The Best of American Muscle (truncated to 30 minutes). Sometimes, bodybuilding contests would air after the show. But again, those were mainly NPC shows (the Nationals, USA, etc.), severly edited for time constraints, to be broadcasted for an hour.

ESPN would air the Mr. Olympia (or at least, a chopped-up version of the contest) as well. I recorded the 1991 and 1993 Olympias, when they aired. I lost the 1991 tape but still have the 1993 Olympia.

Unfortunately, all the contests came on TV, several months after they occured. The last broadcast of American Muscle I taped was in 1995. It featured all of the Fitness America pageant winners, training footage from then-Arnold Classic champion, Mike Francois. The show was hosted by Troy Zuccolotto. That episode also announced the death of Don "the Ripper" Ross.

I lost that one, too. The ones I know I still have are from:

1991 - Covering the North American Championship (won by Ray McNeil), the Southern States (won by Jorge Betancourt), the MuscleMania series (winners: Mike Francois, Nick Silette, the late Sal Princiotta, Ted Lopes, and Dennis Newman), and arm-training footage with Kevin Levrone. Host: Trent Mitchell

1992 - Covering the NPC Kentucky Derby, Fitness America winner Sherry Goggins-Giradina, shoulder training with Mike Matarazzo, overall training tips with Kevin Levrone, More Fitness America information. Host: Trent Mitchell

1994 - Covering San Jose Pro Invitational (won by Kevin Levrone), Jan Tana Classic (won by Denise Rutkowski), Highlights of Fitness America pageant competitors and their successes, "Homemade Muscle" segment, Champion Nutrition Seminar with Mike Francois, shoulder training with Dennis Newman (shot shortly befoe he won the USA). Host - Denise Paglia

The episodes I lost may be at my mother's house back in my hometown.  

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 07:40:21 AM »

It's a stupid comparison; most other events can't compete with something that started around 1916 in Coney Island that is part of an American July 4th tradition with tens of thousands of people in attendance. Also it's easy to do a 10 second bit for news purposes.

Coney Island, NY July 4th
New hot dog record

American winner restores pride with hot-dog victory

An American guzzled a new record 66 hot-dogs in 12 minutes to reclaim the Independence Day title from the slim Japanese who has dominated the sport for the last six years.

Joey Chestnut snatched victory by just three hot-dogs at the 92nd annual Nathan’s Famous Fourth of July International Hot Dog Eating Contest in New York’s Coney Island, beating long-time champion Takeru Kobayashi of Japan.

The two stood jaw-to-jaw as they munched down hot-dogs along with 15 other contestants. The result was so close that the judges reviewed the videotape before declaring the final decision.

Mr Kobayashi appeared to vomit at the very end of the competition, which would have caused a disqualification, but the judges allowed his total of 63 to stand.

“I knew going into the contest he was going to give it 100 percent. I had to come in harder than my body could handle,” Mr Chestnut said.

Despite shattering the previous record in a final, the Californian said: “If I needed to eat another one right now, I could.” The six-time Japanese title-holder decided to take part in the contest despite complaining of a jaw ailment in recent weeks that prevented him from opening his mouth wide enough for a routine teeth cleaning.

Event organizers said he had a wisdom tooth extracted last week to relive what they described as “jaw-thritis.” “I’m like a child,” he said before the competition. “I just don’t give up.” The jaw problems appeared to have little impact on the Japanese, who gave the best performance of his career.

The diminutive Mr Kobayashi, 29, who has dominated competitive eating, weighed in at 154 pounds. Mr Chestnut, 23, came in at 215 pounds.

This year’s contest was a highly anticipated showdown between the Japanese master and his American challenger, who set a new world record of 59 ½ in a qualifying round.

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg introduced the two arch-rivals before the weigh-in on the steps of City Hall.

“Many times in the annals of sport, the eyes of the world have turned to our great city to watch worthy adversaries square off,” Mr Bloomberg said, tongue in cheek. “What comes to mind is Ali and Frazier, the Yankees and the Mets.”

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 07:43:59 AM »
Kobayashi had some problems with his jaw due to a tooth surgery earlier this year.  :'( :'( :'(

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 09:20:02 AM »
nothing as exciting as watching some skinny Japanese kid puke and continue to ravenously eat his own vomit, on national television, in a futile attempt to keep his title :-X

donrhummy

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 10:18:04 AM »
How about the fact that Kobayashi has a better bodybuilder's physique than the guy in the picture on wikipedia's bodybuilding page?

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 10:30:54 AM »

i'm willing to bet the ratings were just as good as any of the nba finals games this year

definitly better than hockey's ratings

E
E

wisconsinBB

• Getbig IV
  • Sweep The Leg!
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 11:35:18 AM »
I dont think ESPN's airing of a hotdog eating contest says anything other than the fact that the network is trying to reach new audiences.  Poker, hot dog eating contests, and rock-paper-scissors probably draws more fans than half of ESPN's sports programs.

Below Me

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 12:01:22 PM »
There was a movie a while ago that put this all in perspective. 

DODGEBALL

They had obscure sports quarterly and ESPN 8 - The Ocho.
Guess what - we're almost there.

efirkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 04:41:04 PM »
It's on ESPN right now.  How do most of these guys/gals stay so thin?

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 05:42:11 PM »
meth?
X

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 05:44:02 PM »
Kobayashi had some problems with his jaw due to a tooth surgery earlier this year.  :'( :'( :'(

Is he related to your girl?  :D

EL Mariachi

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 05:45:24 PM »

you know these fuckers use some king of vegetable that streches out their stomack.

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2007, 05:55:06 PM »
Hotdog eatings contests on tv...

and the hunt on dangerous aas using bodybuilders continues..

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2007, 05:56:52 PM »

topic useless without video content ofc.

Pet shop boys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2007, 08:24:43 PM »

Are u trying to say that you're not aware of the STEROID CONTROVERSY?

where have u been??

WOOOSSHHHHHHH