Author Topic: Ideal dog for someone who's never owned one before and has a slight phobia?  (Read 4509 times)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
I've always wanted to own a dog. I was thinking something along the lines of a toy breed, or mid-sized dog. Of course I'm not getting one right now, but I was thinking of getting one in the near future.

I don't want one to show off or anything. I just think it'd be cool to have a loyal companion that I'd be able to depend on, as well as care for. Maybe that would prepare me for future fatherhood?  ;D

I want something easily socialized, medium activity levels and something that would be tolerant of family members, but still bond with me on a personal level.

What would you people recommend?

knny187

• Getbig V
where does someone begin with this?

Honestly...you would be better off looking at yourself first & fitting your personality, living arrangements & experience with a certain type of dog or breed.

I love Rottweilers....always had Labradors.  Both are awesome...but entirely different.

Looking at what you wrote...I would choose a mutt.  Seriously....everything you wrote & want doesn't need a pedigree.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
Looking at what you wrote...I would choose a mutt.  Seriously....everything you wrote & want doesn't need a pedigree.

I don't really care about specific standards.

My friend's gf has an italian greyhound and I really liked the dog when I saw it. Small and it was a good dog and I wasn't scared.

knny187

• Getbig V
I don't really care about specific standards.

My friend's gf has an italian greyhound and I really liked the dog when I saw it. Small and it was a good dog and I wasn't scared.

Do you have a backyard?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
Do you have a backyard?

Yeah.

But I'm not getting anything now.. In the near future!

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
There is SO much to consider when getting your first dog.  I don't know where to begin.  Take time to check out sites like this http://www.wonderpuppy.net/choose.htm
:

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
get a mastiff they are lazy as hell do not require allot of exercise,but be prepared my mastiff eats as much as i do and i am a buffet slayer.

just make sure you have a good vet that knows allot about the particular breed

bench

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
get a mastiff they are lazy as hell do not require allot of exercise,but be prepared my mastiff eats as much as i do and i am a buffet slayer.

just make sure you have a good vet that knows allot about the particular breed

bench

I'm not agreeing on what you just said.
A Mastiff is in my opinion not a good breed to start of as a first time dog owner.
You really need to know allot about dogs in general and know the "dog language" so you know how to "read" a dog in the first place.
A medium sized dog is an excellent study dog in my opinion.
A Mollosser dog is not your average dog you see walking by on the streets everyday.
The mistake people make with the big mollossers is that they think that the dog is going to be big and strong so they better be very stricked and firm with their dogs leaving the dog with no room to think on his own !

And thats whats so great and different about mollossers in general...they get to grow up and develop a will of their own and they really get mature in their heads when they past the age of 3 or 4! Most breeds get to be puppy's for life but not the mollossers...

The behavior they display after a surten age is so funny. They keep you waiting until they think they are ready to come , because they had to sniff a extra two times on that great smelling spot!!! :D
People mistake such behavior as not being obedient and punish the dog for it!
I could go on and on about why a mollosser is not a good choice for a first pet owner but i think you get the picture... ;)
?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
I know all about the pack leader stuff!!

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Go to your local animal shelter and take a few out for walks, play time, etc.  It's a great place to get a dog.  And since it is your first dog, I would not get a puppy.  A puppy will try the patience of the Pope.

BigNBloated

• Getbig III
  • Always bet on Duke.
Labs are great dogs imo. The talk about the mollosers is funny because my lab acts that way now that she is 11-12 yrs old. I know shes not being disobedient shes just being independant. Shes making decisions about what she wants to do which is funny to me. Most of the time she comes inside when I call her and in general listens to what I say but definately does her own thing.  I dunno if labs are considered mollosers but that is very familiar behavior. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
take this quiz:

http://www.puppyfinder.com/breedselector_size.php

then go and do some research on possible breeds to find out more about the breeds you might be looking at.

Go to a shelter.  They will have older dogs that are already housebroken/trained and that may be perfect rather than starting out with a puppy.  They also could use a good home.   :) The other benefit of a shelter dog is the shelter usually has done temperament tests and has a feel for the dog, if it likes other animals, how it gets along with people, activity level etc. 

Toy breeds are usually snippier, a one person dog, and yappy. I can say all this because I have one!!  Individual dogs of course have their own personality, but a toy dog on average is going to be more cautious and protective about new people.  My chi is the smallest dog in the house, but he is the one I caution people from going up to and petting.  He has never bitten, but he has snapped and loves to growl and snarl at people.  I will direct them to my 170# dane over him!   ;D

So, I would probably look at an average sized breed or mixed breed. 

A lot of shelters have websites now with lists and pics of available dogs.  Browse through them too.

:)   

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
also  www.petfinder.com     Careful though! I can look at that site for hours and want all of them!

House training and the terrible puppy stages can be a big pain!  lol 

A shelter dog can alleviate all that, the dog might already have had some basic training, and like I said, you can have a better idea of it's temperament and if it will fit your lifestyle and what you want in a dog.  And the dog will love you for giving it a forever home.   :)    You can even find a puppy or a young dog through a shelter if you want.

I think all my future dogs will be from a rescue or shelter.  I have one I rescued from a kill shelter in another state and she is the most loving dog.  I have house broke 3 puppies, so I think I have had my fill of that!!

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V

Presa Canario or Ovcharka are what I recommend, CJ. 

Nothing like jumping in the deep end to learn how to swim.  ;D

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I need to get away from my parents first, as they would not be generally fond of living with animals.

I am reading about dogs, breeds and stuff for now. It'll help make my decision in the future.

Presa Canario or Ovcharka are what I recommend, CJ.

Big dogs scare the shit out of me. Once saw a mastiff at a park and was scared shitless.  :-[

I've handled only small to mid-sized dogs, and some mutts back in bangladesh as well.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
I've always wanted to own a dog. I was thinking something along the lines of a toy breed, or mid-sized dog. Of course I'm not getting one right now, but I was thinking of getting one in the near future.

I don't want one to show off or anything. I just think it'd be cool to have a loyal companion that I'd be able to depend on, as well as care for. Maybe that would prepare me for future fatherhood?  ;D

I want something easily socialized, medium activity levels and something that would be tolerant of family members, but still bond with me on a personal level.

What would you people recommend?

Just please know going in that this is about a 10-12 year commitment and not a "let's try this for a while endeavor.” 

While it's not a small breed any lab retriever breed is about as gentle and low problematic breed as they come. They LOVE people and children, they are loyal and they are also protective of their owners. They seldom have any type of behavioral problems.

Training is essential with any dog... a class that you take TOGETHER.
and keep moving!

knny187

• Getbig V
Just please know going in that this is about a 10-12 year commitment and not a "let's try this for a while endeavor.” 

While it's not a small breed any lab retriever breed is about as gentle and low problematic breed as they come. They LOVE people and children, they are loyal and they are also protective of their owners. They seldom have any type of behavioral problems.

Training is essential with any dog... a class that you take TOGETHER.

I rasied Labs & agree...but expect them to take a bout a good 1 1/2 - 2 years to drop the "puppy" act.

&

They like to chew

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
I rasied Labs & agree...but expect them to take a bout a good 1 1/2 - 2 years to drop the "puppy" act.

&

They like to chew

ahahahaa!  Danes take at least 3!    ;D   

This was some good advice CJ:

Go to your local animal shelter and take a few out for walks, play time, etc.  It's a great place to get a dog.  And since it is your first dog, I would not get a puppy.  A puppy will try the patience of the Pope.

While you are living at home you could always volunteer at your local shelter.  You would get to work with and get to know dogs better and help them with socialization and one on one time, which I am sure would be greatly appreciated at the shelter.  :)     

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
Guys, I will do my homework. I realize that it'll be a full-time commitment.

Thanks again for the advice.

While you are living at home you could always volunteer at your local shelter.  You would get to work with and get to know dogs better and help them with socialization and one on one time, which I am sure would be greatly appreciated at the shelter.

Going to look into that later. I mean doing that would break me around all kinda of dogs, and would allow me observe and learn.

knny187

• Getbig V
I would love to get one of these if I was interested in a smaller dog:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s

encourage the backyard "designer" dog breeders   ::)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
I would love to get one of these if I was interested in a smaller dog:

I could be here all night looking at these.  Some of the shots are adorable  ;D  I only made it to page 25
http://www.puggle.org/picturegallery.asp?page=1&dogid=&searchname=&searchgender=&searchwhelped=&searchcity=&searchstate=&searchcountry=&searchemail=&searchtag=
:

mrt

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
get one of these

knny187

• Getbig V
I could be here all night looking at these.  Some of the shots are adorable  ;D  I only made it to page 25
http://www.puggle.org/picturegallery.asp?page=1&dogid=&searchname=&searchgender=&searchwhelped=&searchcity=&searchstate=&searchcountry=&searchemail=&searchtag=

I just think they have the cutest faces

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal

Yes, do this, spend time with friends who have dogs, volunteer at the local animal shelter, read everything you can.  Basically develop your knowledge of dogs before you even get anywhere near getting a dog--be it a puppy or an adult dog.   Not only that but sit down and look at yourself.  I personally own pitbulls and hunting/working dogs.  I've only owned working class dogs.  Why?  Because I like the intensity.  I want a dog with a function, even if I don't use the dog for that intended job.  My lab was trained to retrieve, although I really didn't hunt with him.  My bordercollie is trained to hand signals, but he's never really sorted livestock and has only done minimal agility stuff my wife messed around with him with.  My pits are trained to cart.  I will not do anything related to dog fighting with that breed, however I consider carting a reasonable function considering the breed.   So I trained them to cart--well, the adult, the puppy is still going through basic obedience training.  Why?  Because I want the dog to do something close to their intended breed function.  Other people don't see things the way I do.  They get a breed for a look or a personality or size.  You need to consider those things within yourself before picking a dog to get.  As far as breeds go, make an educated decision based on your life, your wants, and your needs in the dog combined with the breed traits.  If all else fails, nothing beats a good old mutt.

Puppies have their bonuses---you can create all of their bad habits yourself...   ;)   They are also an enormous amount of work, but with that work comes a sense of duty with some people.  They develop along with the puppy.    Adult dogs tend to be just a bit less work---but you still will more than likely go through house training, basic training, and everything else you would with a puppy.  The difference is the adult dog as a more established personality.  You get a better idea of what you are getting with an adult dog.