Author Topic: It is time we got rid of the "Mr" in bodybuilding titles.  (Read 3505 times)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
It is time we got rid of the "Mr" in bodybuilding titles.
« on: July 05, 2007, 05:52:39 PM »
When I was a kid the biggest title a bodybuilder could win was Mr Universe. I used to laugh at that title because how does anyone know he is the best in the universe? At best we can claim to be the best here on Earth. Various promoters came up with titles such as Mr Galaxy, Mr America and so on. I suppose Mr World would be about as good as it can get on this planet.

If you google Mr and any country you don't always come up with the names of bodybuilders who have won that title. The Mr title can be 'awarded' to people who stand out for excellence in some way and not just for physique.

Today it is almost embarrassing to have the Mr titles when so many believe that steroids are required to win those titles. Well, there are some natural contests but the public have the notion that the biggest men are using drugs and they are right. In the old days there was no taint about drugs re the top men. We have to go back to the 1940 and early 1950 for that! Guys were still thought of as all brawn and musclebound and perhaps gay in those days. The public always had to diminish the importance of big muscles because if they were an asset then 90 of the male population would feel inferior. Big muscles have always been put down in western modern countries. The last time big muscles were an asset were in the ancient Olympic Games over 2000 years ago. Champions would have sculptures made of themselves. Today we seldom see that happening. Where are the statues of Mr Universe or Mr Olympia champions on display for the public?

Joe and Ben Weider came up with the Mr Olympia title. Well, they needed a title higher than the Mr Universe of NABBA in England. Eventually the Olympia became the premier bodybuilding title which is quite ironical. How on earth is Mr Olympia greater than Mr Universe?! Maybe Joe thought the Olympians approached the immortal gods of ancient Greece and Rome?

These Mr titles are bankrupt and ruined by the drug scandals associated with strength and mirror sports. There is no transcending of mortals to superman just because someone has bigger muscles than most humans. World Bodybuilding Champion should be the title that champions win. Nothing more. It is about time this sport came back to earth. There is no justification for using those Mr titles any more. Winners might be proud in the subculture that is our sport but there is no pride being a professional bodybuilder today. If champions are asked about drugs what do they say? If even 1/10th of the drugs gh15 says is required for success at the professional level is true then there can be no head held high in this sport.

• Getbig III
Re: It is time we got rid of the "Mr" in bodybuilding titles.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 05:56:10 PM »
Please stop with the blue font.  I may actually consider reading your threads if you wouldn't use it.
Ron Paul 2012

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 06:01:34 PM »
I need the navy font to not be confused with Vince G CSN MFT. Hope this helps.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 06:06:23 PM »
For amateurs in the US, the "Mr" titles pretty much died with the AAU.  So this is really a non-issue.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 06:39:28 PM »
You're right Vince...just look at how stupid this sounds..."Mr. Canada".

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 07:05:10 PM »
Mr Canada, Mr Australia, Mr Olympia, Mr America, Mr Universe, Mr World, Mr Getbig are all ridiculous titles. I admit many transcend their small existence with those titles but the public seldom give title holders any credit.

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 07:10:49 PM »
When I was a kid the biggest title a bodybuilder could win was Mr Universe. I used to laugh at that title because how does anyone know he is the best in the universe? At best we can claim to be the best here on Earth. Various promoters came up with titles such as Mr Galaxy, Mr America and so on. I suppose Mr World would be about as good as it can get on this planet.

If you google Mr and any country you don't always come up with the names of bodybuilders who have won that title. The Mr title can be 'awarded' to people who stand out for excellence in some way and not just for physique.

Today it is almost embarrassing to have the Mr titles when so many believe that steroids are required to win those titles. Well, there are some natural contests but the public have the notion that the biggest men are using drugs and they are right. In the old days there was no taint about drugs re the top men. We have to go back to the 1940 and early 1950 for that! Guys were still thought of as all brawn and musclebound and perhaps gay in those days. The public always had to diminish the importance of big muscles because if they were an asset then 90 of the male population would feel inferior. Big muscles have always been put down in western modern countries. The last time big muscles were an asset were in the ancient Olympic Games over 2000 years ago. Champions would have sculptures made of themselves. Today we seldom see that happening. Where are the statues of Mr Universe or Mr Olympia champions on display for the public?

Joe and Ben Weider came up with the Mr Olympia title. Well, they needed a title higher than the Mr Universe of NABBA in England. Eventually the Olympia became the premier bodybuilding title which is quite ironical. How on earth is Mr Olympia greater than Mr Universe?! Maybe Joe thought the Olympians approached the immortal gods of ancient Greece and Rome?

These Mr titles are bankrupt and ruined by the drug scandals associated with strength and mirror sports. There is no transcending of mortals to superman just because someone has bigger muscles than most humans. World Bodybuilding Champion should be the title that champions win. Nothing more. It is about time this sport came back to earth. There is no justification for using those Mr titles any more. Winners might be proud in the subculture that is our sport but there is no pride being a professional bodybuilder today. If champions are asked about drugs what do they say? If even 1/10th of the drugs gh15 says is required for success at the professional level is true then there can be no head held high in this sport.

WTF is the point of this post?? You keep thinking of the most ridiculous shit! Who gives a flying fuck if there is "Mr" attached to a title or not?

And what is wrong with drugs? Drugs are great.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 07:21:43 PM »
Mr Canada, Mr Australia, Mr Olympia, Mr America, Mr Universe, Mr World, Mr Getbig are all ridiculous titles. I admit many transcend their small existence with those titles but the public seldom give title holders any credit.

It wasn't ridiculous when YOU were trying for it, right?

Why would I give a rats ass what prestige the "public" gives it? I could care less about what "title" they hold...why would they care about mine?

Bob Cicherillo

Mr. USA
Mr. World

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 07:24:34 PM »
It wasn't ridiculous when YOU were trying for it, right?

Why would I give a rats ass what prestige the "public" gives it? I could care less about what "title" they hold...why would they care about mine?

Bob Cicherillo

Mr. USA
Mr. World
when did bob win the nabba mr world?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 08:12:31 PM »
I need the navy font to not be confused with Vince G CSN MFT. Hope this helps.

Actually it will be Melvin Goodrum, PT when I graduate from Greenville College in October.

BTW, this is the most dumbest post I've seen in a long time.  What is the purpose of complaining about how a show is named.  Hardly any show is even using the word Mr in the name of the title.

Basile, I think its time for your meds and a nice long nap
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 08:20:18 PM »
My posts attract the intellect of Melvin Goodrum like a magnet. Now, Melvin, where is this Greenville College that you talk about. There is a Greenville College in Illinois. Thank goodness the days of Vince G CSN MFT are numbered!

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 08:25:02 PM »
My posts attract the intellect of Melvin Goodrum like a magnet. Now, Melvin, where is this Greenville College that you talk about. There is a Greenville College in Illinois. Thank goodness the days of Vince G CSN MFT are numbered!

Uuh, how about where I live.  Greenville, SC.   ::)
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 08:28:34 PM »
Melvin, you have an inclination to 'attend' on line 'colleges' that give you impressive sounding certificates. So, where is this Greenville College and what status has that PT course you are taking? You could do better by coming to Australia for a few months and learn under the master. Not sure how much information your brain can hold, though. I could teach you to weld and fabricate and you could return home and make decent bodybuilding equipment.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 08:35:07 PM »
Melvin, you have an inclination to 'attend' on line 'colleges' that give you impressive sounding certificates. So, where is this Greenville College and what status has that PT course you are taking? You could do better by coming to Australia for a few months and learn under the master. Not sure how much information your brain can hold, though. I could teach you to weld and fabricate and you could return home and make decent bodybuilding equipment.

You can't study Physical Therapy online.... ::)

And your last comment on coming to Australia....I don't even know where that came from  :P 
A

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 09:24:34 PM »
Yes, Melvin, physical therapy and rehab need guys trained in bodybuilding. A good choice from you. You always need to ask someone else for information or obtain diplomas that you think are impressive. If you want to impress Getbiggers get a PhD from a recognized university.

marcus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 09:26:18 PM »
I'm still confused as to which Vince is the bigger idiot.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 09:40:12 PM »
You need a way to imply ownership of a title.

I suppose "2007 Getbig Champion" would work.

But "Mr GetBig" just has a better ring to it.

AVBG

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 09:47:54 PM »
I disagree with Vince.. I think all the orgs should bring back the Mr. in the titles, furthermore I think that Arnold should change back the Mr International from the Arnold Classic!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 09:54:54 PM »
Hey, Mr titles do sound more impressive. I am not disputing that. I am saying they are too impressive for what they stand for. Having the best physique hardly qualifies anyone to be the best person in that country or the world. That is my point.

Decades ago they had the Mr America. That was a big title. The promoters felt the winner should represent the epitome of American manhood. What happened was that blacks, gays and dumb guys couldn't win the title. Well, no black won until 1970. They had a 'Most Muscular Man' title for the best brawn. They actually had an interview and if you stuttered you could not win. They also had an athletic requirement. Some did weightlifting to qualify. Sergio Oliva lost to Bob Gajda in 1966 and afterwards Sergio went to the IFBB. At one show he insisted that he win the Mr America title as well as the Mr Universe. They had to give him the trophy!

AVBG

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 10:03:03 PM »
I think bringing back all the Mr titles would pay homage to the past champs and acknowledge the history of bodybuilding.. So it would be a great thing.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 11:27:45 PM »
Actually it will be Melvin Goodrum, PT when I graduate from Greenville College in October

Melvin, you are such a bs artist. If you are doing physical therapy at a college then you must be attending East Carolina University in Greenville. Greenville College is in Illinois. Fess up and quit the Walter Mitty exaggerating.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2007, 05:04:07 AM »
why, being MR America or Mr Olympia is all part of the grandiosity and narcissism that is bodybuilding today.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 05:09:16 AM »
It's time we get rid of your stupid posts, Vince.

But i think time will solve this problem sooner or later.

BTW, you don't need the navy font to be recognized as yourself because VVV isn't even able to post more than three sentences whereas all of your posts put James Joyce's Ulysses to shame.

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 06:11:41 AM »
I actually agree with Vince here - having the title "Mr" whatever makes it sound like a beauty pageant where the judging is very subjective. Getting rid of it would make bodybuilding lean more towards "sport" status and would be taken more seriously by governing bodies such as the IOC. Okay, there's the whole drug issue but I think Arnold and Lorimer have it right when they've got the Arnold Classic without a "Mr" title involved. It probably exceeds the Olympia in revenue and is taken far more seriously than anything the IFBB has to offer.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 06:12:34 AM »
Here ya go, Melvin. Greenville Technical College.

PHYSICAL THERAPIST ASSISTANT
Associate in Health Sciences

Entrance Requirements:
Acceptable ASSET or COMPASS score

Type of Program:
Phase I: Day, night, or weekend
Phase II: Day

Type of Degree:
Associate degree

Professional Credentials:
Physical Therapist Assistant
(subject to passing national licensure exam)

Program Accreditation:
Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education, American Physical Therapy Association

Employment Opportunities:
Hospitals, rehabilitation centers, schools, home health care, private practice

The Physical Therapist Assistant program prepares students to become
licensed to work in the field of physical therapy, a key part of the health care profession. Physical therapist assistants work under the supervision of physical therapists to provide treatments to reduce physical disability, pain, movement dysfunction, and to promote optimal health and function.
This program is designed as a One-Plus-One program. Phase I includes all of
the general education and related courses that may be taken at Greenville Technical College or any articulating college. Upon successful completion of all Phase I courses, qualified students are eligible to apply to Phase II, the final
four semesters of technical and professional physical therapist assistant coursework.
Phase II course are taught at either Greenville Tech's Greer Campus, at Florence-Darlington Technical College's Health Sciences Campus, or at Aiken Technical College.
Clinical course assignments during Phase II may require students to travel and arrange temporary accommodations away from home.
Graduates of this program must pass a national licensure exam to practice as a physical therapist assistant.
Phase I admission requirements:
Complete Greenville Tech application packet and submit application fee.
Submit all high school transcripts or GED and official college transcripts,
if applicable.
Achieve acceptable ASSET or COMPASS score.
Meet with a Health Sciences advisor to plan course progression.

Phase II admission requirements:
Meet all of the admissions requirements of Phase I.
Attend a Career Talk session for the PTA program.
Complete 20 hours of observation in at least two different physical therapy clinics and return verification forms signed by a licensed physical therapist/physical therapist assistant.
Complete and submit a Letter of Intent to enter Phase II to the PTA program director with appropriate support documentation no later than March 31 for the subsequent fall Phase II admission.
Attain a minimum cumulative technical GPA of 2.50 for all Phase I course. Pass all Phase I courses with a minimum grade of “C” by the 3rd
attempt (scores of D, F, W are not accepted) by the end of the spring semester before entering Phase II the following fall.
Students are selected for admission into the Greer Campus (24-30 students), ATC Campus (10 students) or FDTC Campus (10 students) based on top ranking weighted admissions scores. Weighted admission criteria can be obtained at a Career Talk session.

After acceptance into Phase II, before beginning clinical coursework, students will be required to
Submit a physical exam with documentation of required immunization.
Attend PTA Program Phase II new student orientation.
Submit documentation of current CPR certification.
Have a crime-free criminal background report.
Have a negative 10-panel drug screen report.

To graduate with an associate degree, candidates must meet the computer competency requirement by taking CPT 101 (EGR 130 may be substituted with departmental approval) or by passing the exemption exam at a cost to be assessed by the college.
CPT 101 and BIO 210/211 must be completed within five years of admission to Phase II.
Recommended PTA Program Progression Full Time  

First Semester – Fall    
AHS 102 Medical Terminology*     3.0  
BIO 210 Anatomy & Physiology I*  4.0
CPT 101 Introduction to Computers  3.0  
ENG 101 English Composition I*  3.0  
PSY 201 General Psychology*  3.0  

Second Semester - Spring    
BIO 211 Anatomy & Physiology I*  4.0  
ENG 102 English Composition II*  3.0  
MAT 109 College Algebra with Modeling*
or
MAT 120 Probability & Statistics*  3.0
PSY 203 Human Growth & Development*  3.0  
SPC 205 Public Speaking*  
or
SPC 209 Interpersonal Communications*  3.0

Third Semester - Summer    
Humanities Elective**     3.0  

Fourth Semester - Fall    
PTH 102 Introduction to PT Intervention     2.0  
PTH 105 Introduction to Kinesiology     3.0  
PTH 115 Pathology for Physical Therapist Assistants    3.0  
PTH 118 Physical Agents & Modalities     4.0  

Fifth Semester - Spring    
PTH 101 Physical Therapy  Professional Preparation   2.0  
PTH 220 Patient Assessment Techniques     4.0  
PTH 226 Therapeutic Exercise     3.0  
PTH 228 Manual Therapy Techniques     2.0  
PTH 234 Clinical Education I     3.0  

Sixth Semester - Summer    
PTH 242 Orthopedic Management     4.0  
PTH 246 Neuromuscular Rehabilitation     5.0  

Seventh Semester - Fall    
PTH 264 Clinical Education II     5.0  
PTH 270 Special Topics in Physical Therapy     3.0  
PTH 274 Clinical Education III     5.0  

Total credit hours     83.0  

*General Education Course
**Such as SPA 101, Elementary Spanish

Note: Please contact your advisor for other program options.    

For more information, contact Kathy Sams, PTA Program Administrative Assistant,               (864) 848-2037       , Kathy Sams or Alicia Dittmar, PTA Program Director. Advising information    

Greenville Technical College Physical Therapist Assistant Program

Essential Functions and Technical Standards for Physical Therapist Assistant Students (MS Word Document)