Author Topic: Great Danes...  (Read 15243 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: Great Danes...
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2007, 01:01:58 PM »
I like the merles too, esp the silver/black ones.  My friend has one, and he is adorable.  But like flower said, they are not recognized by the AKC, which is something to think about if you have any intentions of showing the dog. 

Most won't even breed with merles but I think their was one merle that was excellent conformation wise that was being used in a show line I heard about, I want to say it was a Michael Chile's (Michaeldane) line but I am not sure.  I did see a pic of him and he was a stunning dog (too bad he was a merle and couldn't be shown in conformation). 

Yup, it was Michaeldane, "Veto":

http://www.dakotacom.net/~jbdanes/stud.htm

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2007, 01:33:19 PM »
I have no intentions of showing, but I do enjoy the unusual look...But my wife is the boss and she will probably want a mantle colored Dane...  Either way, I am in heaven!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2007, 05:09:29 PM »

We expect pics when you get him or her dizzleman.    :D

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2007, 05:24:15 PM »
Once the girls started using prong collars it got soooooo much easier!!  The dane mix (Briona) is the top dog in the house and her and Addie both like to lead on the walks, so I tandem them together.  I used to tandem Addie with Emmett because if Addie got out of line with Emmett's weight I could control her, lol!!  The prong collars keep them in line and Emmett is very obedient, he would probably stay by me without a leash on, and Tad is small so I can control him fine.  We have gotten a system down and I think they realize the overall walk experience is better for all of us if they behave themselves.  The girls are out in front, Emmett stays by me or next to the girls on the left and Tad is on my right. I keep the tandem leash and Emmett's in my left hand, and Tad's in my right!  My calves have gotten quite the workout though in the beginning from planting myself and getting them to slow down or get back into formation.   ::)  Sometimes I will carry Tad for part of the way if he gets tired, and a few times we came across an off leash dog and I scoop Tad up and hold the other 3.   I might have to reverse Tad and Emmett so my right arm gets a workout holding the 3 big dogs.     ;D

Here's a pic of me, Emmett and my niece 'Smilie'.    For those that are keeping tabs, yes, this another pic from the "Go Kart Series".
  ::)

flower, do you look the same in any two pics?  you're quite the shapeshifter.

P.S. Emmett doesn't look 11" taller than briona in the videos. maybe you could post one in which we can appreciate the difference better?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2007, 06:05:20 PM »

P.S. Emmett doesn't look 11" taller than briona in the videos. maybe you could post one in which we can appreciate the difference better?

I think I always look like me.   ::)

Maybe I can get them all to line up next to each other.
   :-\

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2007, 06:27:16 PM »
I just tried measuring them which is difficult because Emmett doesn't like the tape measurer and sits down when I try, so I never can get an accurate measurement.  Bri is around 27", Emmett may actually be 36" or so, so they have about 8-9" difference at the shoulder.  Since I can't get them to stand straight and measure them, I could be measuring at slightly different spots on the shoulder. 

This is about as good a pic that I will ever get where they are all standing.
 L-R Emmett, Briona, Addie:

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2007, 07:00:15 AM »

Al-Gebra, go here for more of Flower  ;D

Rollerskating:

First Panties:

R

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2007, 07:17:39 AM »
lol STella!!   ;D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2007, 07:18:57 AM »
In that pic I posted of the 3 of them, you can see how wide Addie's stance is!! That dog is built like a brick shit house!!   That is why I call her sow dog!   ;D

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2007, 07:30:33 AM »
In that pic I posted of the 3 of them, you can see how wide Addie's stance is!! That dog is built like a brick shit house!!   That is why I call her sow dog!   ;D

haha, yeah.  that's the first thing I noticed.  looks like she's been working out. How'd you get them to line up like that?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2007, 08:00:27 AM »
haha, yeah.  that's the first thing I noticed.  looks like she's been working out. How'd you get them to line up like that?

I was down at the end of the driveway so they were watching me. 

Addie is just wide chested.  She was a shelter dump, so she could possibly be a dane mix, possibly a bully breed, but that is the only feature that makes me think that so who knows.  She is strong as hell too, she knows how to use her weight and build!!

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2007, 08:12:44 AM »
  We expect pics when you get him or her dizzleman.    :D

No Doubt!  I am sure I will be like any other proud new father and will be taking pictures everyday! 

bigal

• Getbig I
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2007, 09:14:55 AM »
Great Danes are AMAZING dogs!  I have a 2 year old female and she is a little on the small side.  She is only 105lbs and 30in at the shoulder but she has an amazing structure and build (her vet actually has several pics of her on the walls of the clinic).  She does stand about 5'7 on her hind legs though!
She is the funniest dog I have ever encountered and is quite the couch potatoe!  My wife and I think it's hilarious when she tries to "talk" and the zoomies are funny too!  She likes to sit on the couch with her ass in the seat and her front paws on the ground.
She has had no major problems but has had a few skin related problems.  She knocks less stuff over than my cat does and has a real grace to her insanity.  Her tail is only a problem if she manages to hit a fingertip (or a testicle ha ha) with it and damn does that  hurt!
I will never own another breed period!
EDIT:  Check out this great dane
Video:  http://www.videovat.com/videos/648/t...og-gibson.aspx

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2007, 09:47:11 AM »
Hey bigal, welcome to the Pet Board.   :)

Post some pics of your girl please.
  :D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2007, 10:22:41 AM »

Tad's brothers:

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2007, 04:58:01 PM »
Flower, why do your dogs walk you?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2007, 08:00:06 AM »

You are going to have to expand on that question, I am not sure what you mean?

I am not someone who believes dogs have to be in a heel for walks.  They are dogs, and want to sniff and explore, a walk is as much for mental stimulation as it is for exercise.  Also it is not practical when walking more than one large dog to all be heeled.  Too much width, IMO, and I am not no "Cesar Millan" that could get 4 dogs to heel and stay heeled for a walk.   ::)

As long as they aren't pulling and dragging and are behaving fine and generally moving forward, they can go and sniff and explore side to side in our path.   They have to sit before crossing the street, and sit off the sidewalk if we come across people on our walks until the people have passed us.  That and staying in a general formation is all that I ask. 

Does that answer your "loaded" question?
   ::)

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2007, 10:47:02 AM »

Lololzolzozz see Flower...I told you... :D
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2007, 11:04:49 AM »
So a dog walking ahead of you is walking you?   :-\  I can live with that.  Just put it on the pile of all the other decisions I make for my dogs I can live with.   :D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2007, 11:38:40 AM »
 :)

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2007, 01:23:24 PM »
Once again, although that comes off as assholish, it wasn't.  Something I've learned since I got my dog 17mo ago and met alot of people through obedience school, is most questions involving your dog can't really be put any way that sounds polite.  People VIEW dogs as their children so they take any comment as a potential insult.

I asked because normally when I see someone walking their dog and the dog is out in front of them, it is an immediate sign that I should get as far away from the person as I can.  Unless your dog is ultra ultra submissive, when a dog is walking in front of someone the dog almost 100% of the time believes it is in charge, or at least above the human in the pecking order, and I avoid people like that because it is almost a sure sign that if there was some kind of an altercation they could not control the dog/their dog would not listen.

As far as the stuff about Cesar, he isn't god of canines.  You could definitely get your dogs to walk any way you wanted to :)  I guess if they aren't pulling and kind of just strolling to each his own, but I hate when I see idiots walking pitbulls down the street and their arm is actually bouncing as the dog is out in front because there is so much tension on the leash.

I should be posting here alot so I don't mean to sound like a dick.  Most questions about dogs people take as "my kid is better than your kid", or "you dont know how to raise your kids" and that is absolutely not where I am going or what I meant.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2007, 01:46:07 PM »
I only see that as a problem if the person lets the dog have a long lead and doesn't choke up on the lead when coming near people etc.

I would have better chance of "controlling" my dogs in front of me because I would be behind them and could hold them back.  If they are all fanned out to the sides, then that could be a good distance they could go forward if they wanted to.

If I see a person, or we get to a street corner, or maybe they are starting to "stray out of formation" I shorten up their leads.

The way my dogs walk IS the way I want them to. I do not want them at my side, head up.  Where is any stimulation in that? 

I don't have to prove I am in charge by making walks as boring as I can.  And I really don't think that they think they are in charge if they walk in front of me.  At least I do not think my dogs think that because they are not dragging me down the street. 

I try not to generalize because I see something, but rather see the whole picture.  Is that dog out front? OK.  Did the person call the dog back and it came? Ok.  Is the dog out front but not dragging?  Ok.  Then that is an enjoyable walk that works for everyone involved and not a SURE SIGN that dog would not listen.

;)

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2007, 01:56:45 PM »
For those that are keeping tabs, yes, this another pic from the "Go Kart Series".   ::)

I think you were havin' a "bad hair day" that day or somethin'.  :-\
Ron: "I am lazy."

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2007, 02:02:29 PM »

Rollerskating:

she was even having a hard time keepin her legs together back then !!

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2007, 02:23:56 PM »
Stimulation?  When wolves migrate miles and miles per day, it is because they have to.  A part of life.  Genetically imposed into their brains.  When you walk your dog it shouldn't be for THEIR stimulation.  You are walking, and you are taking them with you.  If your dogs walked next to you, focused on the walk and weren't allowed to stop to sniff/pee/poop until you told them they could, they would be happier because it is closer to what they were born to do...follow.

I am not saying your dogs are not happy or they do not think you are in charge because they walk in front, it all depends on the dog.