Author Topic: Tino - Ferret of the Month!  (Read 5249 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: Tino - Ferret of the Month!
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 12:44:59 PM »
Tino went back to the vet's yesterday for a checkup.  The previously enlarged lymph nodes have gotten larger, and a few more became apparent and his belly was a bit swollen so I decided to take him in.

His spleen, liver, and kidneys seemed normal size to his vet, so the belly bloat is probably from a helicobacter bacteria and he is on a round of Clavamox for that.  That took care of his belly bloat when we were in there the end of April, so I hope it will this time too.

He otherwise has a great appetite and is active and curious for a 9year old ferret.   :)   His hair doesn't seem to have grown in much since the melatonin implant was put in, but I do think it's loss has halted.  We discussed doing another melatonin implant (the current thinking is they last 3-4 months) but because of his lymphoma and lack of any other clinical signs of adrenal expect for the hair loss, we are foregoing that for now.   We discussed pred for the lymphoma but since he is doing good and eating, and with his adrenal, again we are opting for just leaving things as is.

Heart and lungs sounded fine and his vet (and me) are pleasantly surprised at how well he has done.   

Tino was honored to be Getbig's Ferret of the Month for July.   :)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 12:55:24 PM »
Good to know that Tino is doing well.

:)
R

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 01:11:54 PM »
Tino went back to the vet's yesterday for a checkup.  The previously enlarged lymph nodes have gotten larger, and a few more became apparent and his belly was a bit swollen so I decided to take him in.

His spleen, liver, and kidneys seemed normal size to his vet, so the belly bloat is probably from a helicobacter bacteria and he is on a round of Clavamox for that.  That took care of his belly bloat when we were in there the end of April, so I hope it will this time too.

He otherwise has a great appetite and is active and curious for a 9year old ferret.   :)   His hair doesn't seem to have grown in much since the melatonin implant was put in, but I do think it's loss has halted.  We discussed doing another melatonin implant (the current thinking is they last 3-4 months) but because of his lymphoma and lack of any other clinical signs of adrenal expect for the hair loss, we are foregoing that for now.   We discussed pred for the lymphoma but since he is doing good and eating, and with his adrenal, again we are opting for just leaving things as is.

Heart and lungs sounded fine and his vet (and me) are pleasantly surprised at how well he has done.   

Tino was honored to be Getbig's Ferret of the Month for July.   :)

YAY for Tino!    :D

8)
:)

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 10:02:53 PM »

does that thing just crap anywhere or is it smart enough to crawl into a litter box (or shoe box or something) ?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 03:58:59 AM »

does that thing just crap anywhere or is it smart enough to crawl into a litter box (or shoe box or something) ?

that "thing" is 9years old, has cancer and adrenal disease.  Despite his age (which is very old for a ferret) and his health conditions, he still still is very friendly with a pleasant personality.  He hasn't gotten to be an asshole in his old age like some PEOPLE I know.

To answer your question, in his declining years he has become less accurate in hitting the litterbox, something I am sure you can relate to.  But unlike you can, he can't wear Depends and just crap and piss in them all day.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2007, 06:53:13 AM »
Glad to see Tino still going strong Flower!... :)
?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 08:21:29 PM »
Tino is very fortunate to have you!
:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2007, 03:39:55 PM »
Thanks guys!!  I think the Clavamox has helped his tummy.  He had a good appetite but a day after being on that it got even bigger!   :)

He doesn't really eat kibble any more, only the chicken I make for him, but I do have his kibble bowl out and sometimes I will put a little kibble in there in case he does want to eat it.  So when I come in with his food he will look at me, then go look in his bowl, then look at me again like he's saying "where's my food, I'm hungry!"  :D   Since he gets his med 2x a day he has to get that first and he would rather eat.   I wrap him up in his blanket so just his head sticks out so I can give him his medicine.  Otherwise he wiggles too much.