Author Topic: Jury duty excuse: I'm a racist, homophobic liar  (Read 2115 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Jury duty excuse: I'm a racist, homophobic liar
« on: July 10, 2007, 09:34:39 AM »
Not the sharpest pencil in the box. 

Jury duty excuse: I'm a racist, homophobic liar   

BARNSTABLE, Massachusetts (AP) -- A Cape Cod man who claimed he was homophobic, racist and a habitual liar to avoid jury duty earned an angry rebuke from a judge on Monday, who referred the case to prosecutors for possible charges.

Daniel Ellis' excuses to try to get out of jury duty didn't sit well with the judge.

"In 32 years of service in courtrooms, as a prosecutor, as a defense attorney and now as a judge, I have quite frankly never confronted such a brazen situation of an individual attempting to avoid juror service," Barnstable Superior Court Judge Gary Nickerson told Daniel Ellis, according to a preliminary court transcript of the exchange.

Ellis, of Falmouth, had been called to court with about 60 other potential jurors for possible service on a 23-member grand jury.

On a questionnaire that all potential jurors fill out, Ellis wrote that he didn't like homosexuals and blacks. He then echoed those sentiments in an interview with Nickerson.

"You say on your form that you're not a fan of homosexuals," Nickerson said.

"That I'm a racist," Ellis interrupted.

"I'm frequently found to be a liar, too. I can't really help it," Ellis added.

"I'm sorry?" Nickerson said.

"I said I'm frequently found to be a liar," Ellis replied.

"So, are you lying to me now?" Nickerson asked.

"Well, I don't know. I might be," was the response.

Ellis then admitted he really didn't want to serve on a jury.

"I have the distinct impression that you're intentionally trying to avoid jury service," Nickerson said.

"That's true," Ellis answered.

Nickerson ordered Ellis taken into custody. He was released later Monday morning.

Ellis could face perjury and other charges.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/07/10/reluctant.juror.ap/index.html

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Jury duty excuse: I'm a racist, homophobic liar
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 09:40:10 AM »
what's the big deal?  How's he going to be prosecuted when his characterization of himself is spot on for more people than not. :P

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 09:43:26 AM »
This guy is an idiot who over did it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 10:51:39 AM »
what's the big deal?  How's he going to be prosecuted when his characterization of himself is spot on for more people than not. :P

I don't think it's a big deal if he was telling the truth, but he might have been lying:

"I have the distinct impression that you're intentionally trying to avoid jury service," Nickerson said.

"That's true," Ellis answered.

Regardless, he's an idiot.   

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 12:08:26 PM »
He over did it.
L

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 12:46:58 PM »
What people don't realize is that these judges have heard this a million times. That's the oldest trick in the book to get out of being in a jury.

Here's a better one:

If you do get picked for a jury and don't want to serve, just show up late for the first day of the trial and give some excuse. You'll be put back in the jury pool.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 08:41:42 PM »
eat a can of chili beans and apologize for your IBS before running out of the room :P

body88

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 06:16:26 AM »
I had jury duty last year. The crime was terrible. Some creep show stalked and raped a teen girl. The defendant was walked into the courtroom to the icy stares of the jury pool. This one old man walks up to the judge to explain his grievance. He procedes to tell the judge the defendant should be executed, and scum like him should be killed on site with no trial.

The old guy was dead serious.