Author Topic: Bob the Tortoise doing better - ABUSER CAUGHT!! Another Tortoise Taken!  (Read 4894 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
People really do suck.   >:(

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2007/jul/11/tortoise-a-friend-to-an-autistic-boy-is/

Tortoise, a friend to an autistic boy, is mutilated

Bob, a friendly, 42-pound African tortoise, remains in intensive care in a Santa Barbara animal hospital after the pet was snatched from the backyard of a Ventura home over the weekend, mutilated and left to die behind an apartment complex.

Authorities are asking for the public's help in solving the case, believed to be one of the worst incidents of animal abuse in Ventura in years and one that could bring felony charges.

Bob's neck and leathery legs were slashed and his dark green shell was stabbed repeatedly in a possible effort to re-create an episode of the Discovery Channel's Man vs. Wild cable television show, where the military-trained host kills and eats a tortoise to survive, an anonymous caller told the family.

"What they did to Bob was heinous and despicable, and we are hopeful that someone will come forward to police," Dorothy Sullivan, Bob's owner, said.

Bob was more than a household pet to the Sullivans, whose 6-year-old son William is autistic and until a couple years ago didn't speak to humans, communicating instead through sign language.

But with Bob, the little blond boy, who also has the rare neuron-genetic disorder Angelman syndrome, was a regular chatterbox. The approachable reptile opened an inexplicable window into William's inner world, and the boy would bare details of his days at school and of private life, his mother said.

"William was devastated and physically sick when he saw what happened to Bob," his mother said.

Bob, believed to be about 25, was snatched from the Sullivan's home in the 100 block of East Center Street between 5 and 6 p.m. Saturday, when Sullivan went to check on him and discovered he was gone. She believes someone scaled a back fence.

The family called the Ventura Police Department to report the missing tortoise, and within an hour had posted dozens of fliers in their west Ventura neighborhood.

Sunday morning Sullivan received a call from a man who wanted money for information on Bob's whereabouts. She refused to give him any money until he delivered her to Bob.

She finally followed the man, who never identified himself, to thick brush beyond a retaining wall behind the nearby Ventura Valley View apartments on Cedar Street. When she first saw Bob, she was relieved. But then she got closer, and she saw his shell had been stabbed and splintered. Emotional and yelling, she peppered the man with questions about what had happened. He quickly sped off on a bicycle and never returned.

It wasn't until she took Bob home in a small wagon that she realized he was bleeding badly from his underbelly.

"This is one of the worst attacks I've ever seen," said Jeanie Vaughan, who founded and runs Turtle Dreams with her daughter Christine. Bob was initially taken to the animal rescue and rehabilitation center in Santa Barbara for treatment.

Bob's extensive injuries required him to be taken to a Santa Barbara animal hospital, where he was sedated and fitted with a feeding tube to provide food and medication to stave off infection, Vaughan said.

"We don't know if he is going to make it," Vaughan said. "His kidneys are working, for now, but it's going to be touch-and-go for a few days."

Bob had lacerations on his head and legs, as though someone had tried to remove him from his shell, police said.

"We are taking this very serious," Ventura Police Sgt. Jack Richards said, adding that the level of brutality likely would lead to felony charges if officers make an arrest.

A conviction of felony animal abuse can bring up to three years in state prison, while a misdemeanor conviction could result in a year in jail, said Nancy Ayers, a senior prosecutor in the Ventura County District Attorney's Office.

Anyone with information can contact detectives at 339-4394 or make an anonymous call to Crime Stoppers at 385-TALK. Information that leads to an arrest could result in a reward of up to $1,000, police said.

Bob is a sulcata tortoise or African spurred tortoise, a hearty but endangered species that lives roughly 50 years in captivity and can grow to as much as 200 pounds, experts say. The land-dwelling animals are prolific breeders and have been increasingly found in the pet trade, Vaughan said.

"They are adorable when they are very small," Vaughan said. "And some pet sellers don't tell the buyer that they can grow so big, so they often end up being dumped when they become too much to handle."

Bill and Dorothy Sullivan found Bob a decade ago wandering in the alley behind their house. They took him in and tried to locate his owners but couldn't. The state Department of Fish and Game told the couple the tortoise could not be returned to the wild, so they established a home for him in their backyard. They consider him family now, hand-feeding him strawberries and fondly referring to him as the "poop machine." They are thankful for his connection to their son.

"We call him a therapy turtle because he miraculously brings William out of his shell," Dorothy Sullivan said.

The couple is facing hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars in veterinarian bills. They have received a couple of anonymous calls from area residents and are convinced someone saw who brutalized their pet.

(This must be a pre-attack pic of Bob)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: Tortoise, a friend to an autistic boy, is mutilated
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 08:55:46 AM »
People suck...

Our "hospital" tortoise is a Sulcata.  He's about 35-40 lbs---roughly the same size as the tortoise in that story.  I will say from dealing with the tortoise in my office---he's battering his shell into my chair as I'm typing this trying to get my attention---they are great animals.... they are also increadibly tough.  Some sick bastard had to work really hard to damage a sulcata that severely.  I hope the catch whoever did it and the judges have no mercy.   >:(

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 09:01:39 AM »
Maybe the $1,000 reward will convince someone to turn in whoever did this. 

How much will this set that boy back?  If Bob dies the progress he has made could go right out the window.

Truly sad for everyone. 

dizzleman06

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 11:29:21 AM »
 >:(  I hate mean people >:(

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 12:05:11 PM »
What is wrong with a person that would do that?

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:11:51 PM »
 >:(

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 02:02:56 PM »
How could anyone be so cruel. It just baffles me. I reproted this to:

http://www.idausa.org

http://www.pet-abuse.com/

Maybe they will start a petition to the judge (if the guy is ever caught) asking for maximum penalty

and keep moving!

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 08:04:28 AM »
As a kid I always owned turtles, red ears, sawbacks, wood,painted, box, mud , and even a bog turtle for a little while. They are great pets and even small aquatic ones live long lives. I put people that abuse pets in the same catogory as people that abuse childen and men that beat their woman. All should be hung
X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 09:50:52 AM »
Update on Bob:

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2007/jul/11/no-headline---nxxfctortoise11/

Tortoise condition improves, fund set up for vet bills

Bob, the household tortoise from Ventura who was stolen and mutilated, was awake and stable this morning at animal hospital and is to be transferred to a turtle rehabilitation center by day's end.

"He's probably out of the woods barring any infection," said Jeanie Vaughan, owner of Turtle Dreams, a animal rescue and rehabilitation center in Santa Barbara where Bob will be taken later today and is expected to stay for several weeks and possibly months to recover from his injuries.

The 42-pound African spurred tortoise was awake but traumatized during a morning examination and still has a feeding tube inserted in his stomach to provide food and medication, Vaughan said.

"The fact that he is stable enough to be moved to rehab is a very good sign," said Vaughan, who has been monitoring the brutalized tortoise since he arrived at Adobe Animal Hospital in Santa Barbara. "But these are cold-blooded animals that take a long time to heal, so we will have to keep a close watch."

Meanwhile, an account has been set up at Washington Mutual to help Bob's owners Dorothy and Bill Sullivan with his veterinarian expenses.

The family has been flooded with well-wishers and people offering money for Bob's care since news broke of how the tortoise was snatched over the weekend out of the family's back yard, mutilated and dumped in thick brush behind a Ventura apartment complex.

The family recovered the 25-year-old sulcata tortoise Sunday, and police continue to seek the person or people responsible for his injuries, which included deep lacerations to this neck, arms and legs, and stab wounds to his shell.

Anyone wishing to donate can send money to Washington Mutual, P.O. Box 877, Ventura, CA 93002.

Checks should be made out to William Sullivan in care of Bob, Account No. 492-105108-5. Wire transfer can be routed to Account No. 322271627.

"The outpouring has been overwhelming," Dorothy Sullivan said this morning, adding that she got a phone call from a well-wisher in Montana. "After what happened to Bob, I had lost a lot of faith in the human race. But it's been absolutely wonderful how people are recognizing that Bob needs help and that what was done to him is a serious crime."

The couple, who have a 6-year-old son who is autistic and close to the family tortoise, planned to visit Bob today at the rehab center.

"We can't wait to see him," she said.

Anyone with information about Bob can contact police detectives at 339-4394 or make an anonymous call to Crime Stoppers at 385-TALK. Information that leads to an arrest could result in a reward of up to $1,000, police said.

(Pic of Bob)
Bob, a tortoise who was stolen and mutilated, rests at the Adobe Animal Hospital in Santa Barbara Tuesday afternoon with a feeding tube designed to distribute food and medication.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
Re: Tortoise, a friend to an autistic boy, is mutilated UPDATED
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 10:18:12 AM »
Thanks flower.. I'm glad he's seems to be doing well. Probably scared of people now.

I hope they find the people who did it but it doesn't sound like they have any real clues.
and keep moving!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 10:31:52 AM »
I'm sure he is now.  I hope that he has a better reaction when he sees his "family", especially the autistic boy who Bob has helped make progress.  Hopefully in his recovery he will come to realize again that all people are not bad and don't want to hurt him.   :(

Someone knows something!! That guy who called trying to get money from the family for info on where Bob was, either did it, or knows who did.  If he didn't do it, maybe he will turn the person(s) in to get the reward money.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 11:15:02 AM »
I had a friend who was moving & couldn't take his Sulcata "Tonka" with them.

I helped place him with another family who owned 2 Russian Tortoise's.

After awhile, they realized the Sulcata needs more attention/socializing that their 2 Russian Tortoises so they found someone that runs a Sulcata refuge.  They have this big back yard full of stuff for them & "Tonka" now has a bunch of buddies to socialize with.

One more thing.....

"Tonka" they figured out was a girl. 

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 01:39:50 PM »
I'm sure he is now.  I hope that he has a better reaction when he sees his "family", especially the autistic boy who Bob has helped make progress.  Hopefully in his recovery he will come to realize again that all people are not bad and don't want to hurt him.   :(

Someone knows something!! That guy who called trying to get money from the family for info on where Bob was, either did it, or knows who did.  If he didn't do it, maybe he will turn the person(s) in to get the reward money.

I have a friend who was a Navy Seal in Vietnam. His “skill” was getting people to tell what they knew. He’s discussed those tactics with me many times. It would be no problem getting the information IF we could get law enforcement to “make themselves busy” for a few hours.
and keep moving!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 04:35:17 PM »

If they find out who did this, I will delete your post so you will not be implicated in whatever 'accident' befalls the person.   8)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 08:10:13 PM »
I have a friend who was a Navy Seal in Vietnam. His “skill” was getting people to tell what they knew. He’s discussed those tactics with me many times. It would be no problem getting the information IF we could get law enforcement to “make themselves busy” for a few hours.
law enforcement is always busy Max_Rep, if they find out who did this, I'm sure they will be really busy ;)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: Bob the Tortoise doing better - ABUSER CAUGHT!!
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2007, 03:54:09 AM »
thanks to Chaos for posting this originally:

http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20070719/469ee1c0_3ca6_15526200707191855111949

Police Arrest Man for Torturing Tortoise
July 19, 2007 8:15 PM EST

VENTURA, Calif. - A man who police believe tortured an endangered tortoise by trying to cut him out of his shell and throwing him against a wall was arrested Thursday.

The 25-year-old African spurred tortoise, named Bob, was slashed and stabbed after being stolen from the home of an autistic boy. After he was brutalized, the turtle was dumped in brush behind an apartment complex and an anonymous caller told the family where to find him.

Witnesses to the torture provided information that helped lead to the arrest of Jose "Tony" Mosqueda, 18, of Ventura, who was booked at the county jail for investigation of cruelty to animals and grand theft, police said.

"It's a good feeling. It's kind of neat," Sgt. Jack Richards said. "It just really pulled at some heartstrings and it's good to have someone in custody."

The turtle is recovering at Turtle Dreams, a Montecito rehabilitation center. He remained in guarded condition and was being fed through a tube in his neck.

"He's getting more relaxed and coming out of his shell" more often, said Jeanie Vaughan, the center's owner. "If he continues without any infection, I think he's going to be fine."

Earlier this week, he gave owners Dorothy and Bill Sullivan some hope when he reached a key milestone in his recovery: bringing his head out of his shell and taking his first steps.

The tortoise collapsed but then managed to take eight steps.

"When he finished, he had a tear in his eye ... as did the rest of us," Dorothy Sullivan said. "It was an excellent, great sign."

Dorothy Sullivan said that she and her son danced with happiness when they heard of the arrest. Her son has not been sleeping well since the attack, she said.

"His security fell apart," she said. "He was afraid that somebody was going to come and steal him and take him away and hurt him."

"Now he feels safe. Now he can go out and play," she said.

The family has installed security cameras and an alarm on the backyard fence so that Bob will be safer when he retur

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2007, 08:54:30 AM »
thanks to Chaos for posting this originally:

http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?guid=20070719/469ee1c0_3ca6_15526200707191855111949

Police Arrest Man for Torturing Tortoise
July 19, 2007 8:15 PM EST

VENTURA, Calif. - A man who police believe tortured an endangered tortoise by trying to cut him out of his shell and throwing him against a wall was arrested Thursday.

The 25-year-old African spurred tortoise, named Bob, was slashed and stabbed after being stolen from the home of an autistic boy. After he was brutalized, the turtle was dumped in brush behind an apartment complex and an anonymous caller told the family where to find him.

Witnesses to the torture provided information that helped lead to the arrest of Jose "Tony" Mosqueda, 18, of Ventura, who was booked at the county jail for investigation of cruelty to animals and grand theft, police said.

"It's a good feeling. It's kind of neat," Sgt. Jack Richards said. "It just really pulled at some heartstrings and it's good to have someone in custody."

The turtle is recovering at Turtle Dreams, a Montecito rehabilitation center. He remained in guarded condition and was being fed through a tube in his neck.

"He's getting more relaxed and coming out of his shell" more often, said Jeanie Vaughan, the center's owner. "If he continues without any infection, I think he's going to be fine."

Earlier this week, he gave owners Dorothy and Bill Sullivan some hope when he reached a key milestone in his recovery: bringing his head out of his shell and taking his first steps.

The tortoise collapsed but then managed to take eight steps.

"When he finished, he had a tear in his eye ... as did the rest of us," Dorothy Sullivan said. "It was an excellent, great sign."

Dorothy Sullivan said that she and her son danced with happiness when they heard of the arrest. Her son has not been sleeping well since the attack, she said.

"His security fell apart," she said. "He was afraid that somebody was going to come and steal him and take him away and hurt him."

"Now he feels safe. Now he can go out and play," she said.

The family has installed security cameras and an alarm on the backyard fence so that Bob will be safer when he retur

very cool

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2007, 09:49:08 AM »
Video about Bob, not graphic:

http://gallery.venturacountystar.com/video.cfm?VideoID=66

Bob's attacker 
   >:(:

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Bob the Tortoise doing better - ABUSER CAUGHT!! Another Tortoise Taken!
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2007, 09:52:20 AM »
    >:(  Another tortoise taken:

http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2007/jul/20/man-arrested-in-tortoise-case/

Second tortoise stolen from Simi backyard

By Anna Bakalis (Contact) , Kevin Clerici (Contact)
Friday, July 20, 2

As police made an arrest Thursday in the mutilation of a pet tortoise snatched from a Ventura backyard, another family tortoise was reported missing in Simi Valley, prompting the worst fears for its owners.

Police arrested a Ventura man on suspicion of grand theft and animal cruelty in the mutilation of Bob, a 40-pound tortoise taken July 7 from a Ventura family.

Jose "Tony" Mosqueda, 18, surrendered early Thursday after police served a search warrant at his home. He remains in jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.

The African spurred tortoise, who was abducted, slashed and mutilated, is now out of critical care and recovering at an animal rehabilitation center in Montecito.

Meanwhile, Vicki and Rick Schindler of Simi Valley worry a similar tragedy could befall their tortoise, Piggy.

The couple reported the 40-year-old desert tortoise missing after the family returned home Wednesday to discover Piggy wasn't in his usual spot — a well-manicured corner in an enclosed backyard behind a concrete wall and a locked gate.

"Somebody had to have come into the yard and taken him," Vicki Schindler said.

The family said Piggy was taken from their Sunglow Avenue home between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. Wednesday.

A 20-pound tortoise, Piggy has lived in the same box in the same backyard for the past eight years. He has been in the family since 1971, when Vicki Schindler's nephew found him crossing Tapo Canyon Road.

"He has the personality of a dog," Schindler said. "He probably has no idea where he is, or why we're not with him."

Piggy loved walking inside the house and knew how to open the sliding screen door. Once inside, he would go looking for his favorite treats — sugar snap peas — or hide in a cool place, like under the bed.

"It's very suspicious, less than a week after this other mutilation of a tortoise," said Donna Prenta, a longtime neighbor and friend of the Schindlers.

"Even if somehow he wandered off, we don't want someone finding him and doing something," Prenta said. "He just needs to be found."

Police believe Bob's abduction and mutilation to be one of the worst incidents of animal abuse in Ventura in years. A conviction on felony animal abuse can bring up to three years in state prison; a misdemeanor conviction could result in a year in jail, according to the Ventura County District Attorney's Office.

Police obtained a search warrant after witnesses came forward linking Mosqueda to the crime. Police found evidence in Mosqueda's home during the morning search, Ventura Police Sgt. Rick Murray said, declining to elaborate.

Bob, a 25-year-old tortoise, belongs to Dorothy and Bill Sullivan of Ventura. The tortoise also is a special friend to the Sullivans' 6-year-old autistic son, who rarely spoke to people but often chattered to the animal.

Police allege Mosqueda threw the turtle against a brick wall and tried to pry the animal out of his shell. Razor blades also were used to cut the leg, police said, but Bob's tough hide and heavy musculature foiled that. The animal was dumped in the brush behind an apartment complex.

The Sullivans visited Bob on Tuesday for two hours.

"Bob took his first steps," Dorothy Sullivan said. "When I got down next to Bob, he brought his head all the way out of his shell, and looked at me, and all around."

Bob's weak legs struggled to support the weight of his shell on his first attempt to walk. But he continued, eventually walking eight steps. When he stopped, his eyes welled with tears, Sullivan said.

"This really gives us hope that he is a fighter and he will survive this."

The tortoise is receiving medications and food through a feeding tube.

More than 150 people have contributed to a fund to help the Sullivans pay for Bob's medical care. The Humane Society of the United States contributed $2,500 to a reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those who critically injured the pet tortoise.

"The outpouring of support has been wonderful," Sullivan said.

The Schindlers heard about Bob's saga, but Vicki Schindler couldn't bring herself to read the accounts of the cruelty..

On Thursday, she continued spreading the word about her missing pet. She made fliers and alerted pet stores and veterinarians in the area. She is considering a reward.

"Just not knowing who's got him, that's the worst. He might not have been fed or worse, that someone dropped him in a Dumpster somewhere."

Anyone with information on Piggy's whereabouts can call Simi Valley Police at 583-6950.

gtbro1

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2007, 04:27:50 PM »