Author Topic: Crimes Against Animals  (Read 2959 times)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
Crimes Against Animals
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:47:30 AM »
Crimes Against Animals

I started this thread because of the thread about “Bob” the turtle. We’ve also seen other threads about abuse and cruelty cases. There is something we can do in these cases to see that justice is served. I used to visit two websites:

http://www.idausa.org

http://www.pet-abuse.com/

On either site go to “Action Alerts” 

The Good Part…

…is that you can use these sights to write to the prosecuting attorney and the judge on these cases to ask for the maximum penalty. There is something empowering about knowing that you didn’t just sit by and let this happen, you did something about it.

The Bad Part…

Is that you have to read about the cases and YES they can be VERY upsetting.

Use your own judgment. 
and keep moving!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: Crimes Against Animals
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:22:12 AM »
Have you used that second site to check out potential adopters Dave? 

I know some breeders and people who have rescued that have used that site.

I am glad to see that some laws are being changed and penalties are getting more severe for abuse against animals.  May be if more people were prosecuted animal abuse would drop and people would get locked up that would of been out committing crimes against people. 

It's about time that these acts were taken more seriously! 

These sites can be very upsetting, but usually the home pages have ways you can help on them and you don't have to click on disturbing pictures if you don't want too, but you can still find out how you can help. 

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 01:59:25 PM »
Have you used that second site to check out potential adopters Dave? 

No I know they have tips on adopting and a link to petfinders but I already know about that.

I would love to see us collectively bring these cruelty cases to Justice.
and keep moving!

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 02:01:07 PM »
no mercy whatsoever for these scumbags that hurt animals or children, give them the harshest sentence possible.

Euro-monster

• Getbig V
  • Team Dutchie style!!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 04:49:57 AM »
no mercy whatsoever for these scumbags that hurt animals or children, give them the harshest sentence possible.

Agreed!!!
?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:33:08 AM »
No I know they have tips on adopting and a link to petfinders but I already know about that.

I was meaning looking for someone's name on the list before adopting to them. Running a check on there for them. 

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 10:22:48 AM »
  I was meaning looking for someone's name on the list before adopting to them. Running a check on there for them. 

Oh... good idea. The adoption groups I work with are pretty diligent about checking out who we adopt to. This would be a good added tool. Thanks for the suggestion.
and keep moving!

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 10:37:25 AM »
I really hate seeing stuff like that.  Sure, there's cruelty against people/children too, but animal cruelty really angers me for some reason.

I come from a family that was born & raised with a lot of animals...but on the other hand...we hunt & fish.  I can honestly say when it came to hunting...we never killed an animal for sport or for just the sake of shooting something.  My father was hunting from the age of 5 because he came from a very poor family & hunting was a staple source of food.  I personally haven't hunted or shot an animal in over 17 years.  When ever I go out in the woods now or in the future...it's for exercise.  I may carry a gun, but it's more because there's a lot more nuts in the wood (I'm not talking about acorns) & I am more worried about them than the animals.

Anyways.....my father went out in the woods about 2-3 years ago after a major ice/snow storm.  Out in the dead middle of the woods, he found a pitbull chained to a tree.  It was curled up in a ball, frozen, & dead.  I've never seen my father so upset or angered by the event.  I feel very seriously that if he found the 'responsible' party...they would not have left those woods either.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 10:39:44 AM »
Welcome.    :)

I've heard of people that get "known"  or have a complaint in one city or state and then start trying to adopt in other states.
  >:(

PhoenixBuff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 11:08:46 AM »
Seriously, reading some of those stories makes me want to hurt someone.  >:(

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 01:54:06 PM »
Flower... yes background check are essential.

Knny... I'm with your dad. There is just no excuse.

Phoenix... I warned you the stories are difficult to read but now that you have please write to the prosecutor. I promise, you will get a sense of empowerment just knowing that you followed the judicial process and knowing we can make a difference. The old adage "the pen is mightier than the sword" come to mind (although I'd prefer to use the sword). 
and keep moving!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 04:42:57 PM »
I will be starting to make some visits to a pet store around here that I just heard has had a few puppies starve to death.  How do you not notice that the puppy is starving and your employees have not fed it?!?  It doesn't happen in one day!! This pet store is known to sell the "designer breeds" and tells people that they don't come from puppy mills but local "breeders", but that is false.  Former employees have witnessed other things in the store with some of the other animals too but are afraid to report her.  Animal control said you have to get proof, like video or something.    She must be licensed to sell puppies correct?   Who should be notified, the Department of Agriculture?

Dave?  Vet?  Who should I be looking to notify if I ever see anything reportable?

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 01:26:23 AM »
I will be starting to make some visits to a pet store around here that I just heard has had a few puppies starve to death.  How do you not notice that the puppy is starving and your employees have not fed it?!?  It doesn't happen in one day!! This pet store is known to sell the "designer breeds" and tells people that they don't come from puppy mills but local "breeders", but that is false.  Former employees have witnessed other things in the store with some of the other animals too but are afraid to report her.  Animal control said you have to get proof, like video or something.    She must be licensed to sell puppies correct?   Who should be notified, the Department of Agriculture?

Dave?  Vet?  Who should I be looking to notify if I ever see anything reportable?

God I hate hearing stuff like that! I just get infuriated and want to handle her old school. The bitch doesn’t deserve fair treatment.

Those two websites can be a valuable start. They may have a rep or some contact local to you.

You can also try local rescue groups. Talk to some of the volunteers and see if they have an attorney they work with that supports local animal rights.

Also try:

G.R.A.S.P., Inc.
Greece Residents Assisting Stray Pets
Adoption Nights 6:30 to 8 pm
Tuesdays: Petsaver Superstore, Stoneridge Plaza
Thursdays: Petco, W. Ridge Road, in front of Mall
http://www.graspinc.org or http://grasp.petfinder.com
Call Us: 585-234-1953
This group was started by a friend of mine from HS but she has passed the torch to someone else. 
and keep moving!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 07:21:21 AM »
Dave you will like this story, I got it off the unchainyourdog.org website:

My friend Desi rescued Justice. Justice had been fought and abused by his owners. When they got tired of them, they dropped him down a well to drown. When Justice didn't die, one of the owners tried to push him under. The owner fell in and started drowning. The other guy jumped in to save his friend, and they BOTH drowned. I kind of love this story of cosmic Justice. Sorry, but I do!

PhoenixBuff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 08:30:30 AM »

My friend Desi rescued Justice. Justice had been fought and abused by his owners. When they got tired of them, they dropped him down a well to drown. When Justice didn't die, one of the owners tried to push him under. The owner fell in and started drowning. The other guy jumped in to save his friend, and they BOTH drowned. I kind of love this story of cosmic Justice. Sorry, but I do!

Justice!  Great story!  ;)

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 09:56:20 AM »

I'm smiling from ear to ear about the owners but what happened to Desi?
and keep moving!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 09:57:53 AM »
I'm smiling from ear to ear about the owners but what happened to Desi?

Desi rescued the dog Justice.  There is a pic of Justice on the site with this story.

It is ironic that they tried to drown the dog and the dog lived and they died. 
;D

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 10:05:24 AM »
Oh the dogs name was Justice! That's perfect.

I tried to find the story, can you give a specific link to the story or tell me where on the site you found it?
and keep moving!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 10:07:22 AM »
http://www.unchainyourdog.org/About.htm

Justice is the last picture to the right, 2nd row from the bottom.

Careful, going around that site you are going to get very very mad (and sad) at some of the stories and pictures. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2007, 06:10:34 AM »
Desi rescued the dog Justice.  There is a pic of Justice on the site with this story.

It is ironic that they tried to drown the dog and the dog lived and they died. 
;D

Sometime Karma can get you real fast. That's the beauty of it, you get what you deserve.