Author Topic: Have to find a new Home for my Dog  (Read 4197 times)

Jeriko

• Getbig II
  • Do you want to win the war on terror? Yes or No?
Have to find a new Home for my Dog
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:02:08 PM »
Man, I hate having to do this.  I love this dog (Meadow) but unfortunately the wife has lost her patience with her. I'm looking for suggestions for the best way to place her in a good home.  :(   >:( 

Meadow is smart but young and very stubborn.  She has one big problem. Her aggresiveness towards people that come too close. If you have a dog with you when you meet her she is sweet - no aggresive behavior at all. She acts like you're her best friend. Dog park or Dog beach no issues whatsoever. However if you don't have a dog next to you while we walk by she acts like she wants to tear you a new as*****! Come into our house and she'll bark at you until she is corrected and then her demeanor does a 180 and there she is bringing you her toys. This issue is going to make it diffucult to place her.

the wife in the meantime, understandibly, doesn't feel safe handling her in public when I'm not around. she has become frustrated in our inability to fix the behavior quickly. We've had trainers work with Meadow but what the wifey doesn't have the energy for is the work that we BOTH have to put in on a consistent basis to change that unwanted behavior. 

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
Re: Have to find a new Home for my Dog
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 11:59:01 PM »
You scumbag,you should of never got her if you couldnt take care of her.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 01:10:02 AM »
Man, I hate having to do this.  I love this dog (Meadow) but unfortunately the wife has lost her patience with her. I'm looking for suggestions for the best way to place her in a good home.  :(   >:( 

Meadow is smart but young and very stubborn.  She has one big problem. Her aggresiveness towards people that come too close. If you have a dog with you when you meet her she is sweet - no aggresive behavior at all. She acts like you're her best friend. Dog park or Dog beach no issues whatsoever. However if you don't have a dog next to you while we walk by she acts like she wants to tear you a new as*****! Come into our house and she'll bark at you until she is corrected and then her demeanor does a 180 and there she is bringing you her toys. This issue is going to make it diffucult to place her.

the wife in the meantime, understandibly, doesn't feel safe handling her in public when I'm not around. she has become frustrated in our inability to fix the behavior quickly. We've had trainers work with Meadow but what the wifey doesn't have the energy for is the work that we BOTH have to put in on a consistent basis to change that unwanted behavior. 

Wives are easy to find. Dump her and keep the dog.
and keep moving!

Andre Nickatina

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 04:03:53 AM »
A muzzle will fix that

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 05:26:56 AM »

People, we are all entitled to our opinions, but please let's try and keep them civil and constructive.

Jeriko, have you considered leaving her with a trainer for a period of time and seeing if they can change this behavior?   

You are correct that placing her with this people aggressive problem would not be  easy and chances are if someone doesn't make the effort to correct this problem, she will be put down as un-adoptable.   

I seriously recommend calling around for a behavior trainer who will take the dog for a period of time. 

You can pm me privately with where you are located and I will see if I can help you find someone.  Asking at your vets is a place to start, they usually are familiar with local trainers, the yellow pages, and of course google are other sources.

I hope you will consider this option.   :-\

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 05:31:14 AM »
A muzzle will fix that

True, a soft muzzle in public will make it safer for people if you and your wife want to work with her.  I would still enlist the help of a behaviorist on the best way to work with her.   Maybe her being muzzled would encourage your wife to try? 

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 07:58:19 AM »
This can be a hard problem to fix but no where near impossible, I good dog handler is your best bet.
X

Jeriko

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 10:51:47 AM »

People, we are all entitled to our opinions, but please let's try and keep them civil and constructive.

Jeriko, have you considered leaving her with a trainer for a period of time and seeing if they can change this behavior?   

You are correct that placing her with this people aggressive problem would not be  easy and chances are if someone doesn't make the effort to correct this problem, she will be put down as un-adoptable.   

I seriously recommend calling around for a behavior trainer who will take the dog for a period of time. 

You can pm me privately with where you are located and I will see if I can help you find someone.  Asking at your vets is a place to start, they usually are familiar with local trainers, the yellow pages, and of course google are other sources.

I hope you will consider this option.   :-\

I'm going to guess the scumbag comment is just a half joking exaggeration from someone who cares about pets but didn't know how to express a constructive suggestion for a serious situation that has transpired.

I love this dog and have been fighting to keep her for some time now. I got her from the Helen Woodward rescue center and i'm not about to just giver her away to just anyone. And I will not just drop her off at some facility.

We actually did send her away to a very expensive dog boot camp here in San Diego. The trainers are wll known trainers that train celebrity/pro athletes' dogs.  The training helped but it didn't solve the problem 100% as the training has to continue in her environment. She has improved.  I work with her often. I'm always on the go as I own and operate two different businesses.  The initial intention was to bring her with me everywhere. There would be no problem with there being a dog in either business. Unfortunately her behavior issue developed and that prevents me from being able to bring her along. This is when there is a problem since the wife has to handle her during those times.

The muzzle is a definitely a safety precaution. But the wifey's issue isn't just safety anymore. she's just tired of the constant problem.

"wives are easy to find"   ;D

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 11:20:01 AM »
I'm not familiar with that rescue, but have you tried calling them?  What is there  policy when the dog faces rehoming?

You said you did send the dog for training, did this issue develop after that and is a new problem, or has she back slided from any progress she had made at the camp?

Since you are in San Diego, what about Cesar Milan, he is in LA?  Yes, I don't like some of his methods as I stated in the Cesar thread, but I believe his facility is for rehabilitating dogs, which is what your dog needs.   But consistency at home after any training would need to be kept up.  Which means not letting the dog back slide into the behavior again. 

I thought the muzzle suggestion was a good one, to be used when working with her.  I am not a trainer, but I would guess that training this dog would mean putting it in the type of situation that she does this behavior and desensitizing her to those situations.  With the muzzle on at least she couldn't bite someone. 

You could only place her with someone if they were fully aware and willing to put the time into correcting this problem. Obviously with someone with dog experience.  That is easier said than done.   :-\

If you do place her, I would suggest not getting any more dogs.  I'm trying to put this tactfully...........  Your wife seems to not want to put any (or much) time into training a dog, and all dogs need constant training to various degrees, even if it is just simply keeping boundaries enforced and curbing quickly any behavior issues that crop up.   Knowing this, I would not put yourself into this position again in the future that you find yourself in now. 

Jeriko

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 11:53:51 AM »
she was sent to this training facility for this very issue.

It's pretty much like you said. The other half has no interest in putting this much work into it and I definitely can't do it alone or part-time when i'm around.

we have two other dogs. no problems with them whatsoever. none.  they all have their boundries and all have had training including constant reinforcement at home.  Meadow is the only one that is a complete challenge. very stubborn and while I can embrace the challenge unfortunately it is not only up to me.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 12:21:24 PM »
I don't know what else to tell you.   :-\   I would call the place you got her from and see if they can help you place her if that is what it comes to.

Hopefully someone will be willing to work with Meadow.
   :-\

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 12:47:35 PM »

Sounds like the dog isn't socialized correctly with people.

Out of curiosity...who was this trainer you went to & what specifically did they train the dog?
What did they tell you at the end about your dog & it's behaviour?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 03:17:33 PM »
What if you could get on "The Dog Whisperer"?  Would your wife like to be on tv?

::)

I'm only 1/2 joking here, you never know, he could come out an "rehabilitate" your dog. 

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 03:57:30 PM »
i really dont understand how someone can say they love their dog but have to give her away.  i mean if you do love your dog how is giving her away even a option?  i just dont get it. ???   if she does have an aggression problem how is giving her to someone else going to solve that.  you will just be passing on the problem to someone else and who know what they will do.  if you really do love this dog you sould be doing anything in your means to help her with her problem.  i would bet if she worked with the right people the issue could be fixed.

Jeriko

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 04:57:08 PM »
i really dont understand how someone can say they love their dog but have to give her away.  i mean if you do love your dog how is giving her away even a option?  i just dont get it. ???   if she does have an aggression problem how is giving her to someone else going to solve that.  you will just be passing on the problem to someone else and who know what they will do.  if you really do love this dog you sould be doing anything in your means to help her with her problem.  i would bet if she worked with the right people the issue could be fixed.

There's nothing to understand other than I don't live by myself.  If I was the only one with say in the matter this would be a non issue. If i didn't care about the dog I would've simply dropped her off at some shelter or simply given her away.  You don't know how many trainers she has worked with. You don't know how long I've worked with her. You don't know how much time I spend with her at dog parks, dog beach. You don't know how many times I've cut back my business schedule to work with her. You don't know how much money i've spent on her without even thinking about it. I know i'm not a good trainer but I haven't quit. I wouldn't be here asking for suggestions if i didn't care about her. We didn't get to this point overnight. Everyone at home knows she isn't going anywhere until the perfect match comes along that understands the issue and has the experience, energy, dedication and time to work with her. What I was looking for here were suggestions on finding that match.

Jeriko

• Getbig II
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 05:09:51 PM »
Sounds like the dog isn't socialized correctly with people.

Out of curiosity...who was this trainer you went to & what specifically did they train the dog?
What did they tell you at the end about your dog & it's behaviour?

That's what created the problem. She wasn't socialized as a pup.

She went to Absolute k-9 here in san diego. They basically told us she was smart but slow and stubborn to pick up commands. She needed really strong handlers. That's where it's become difficult when only one person in the party is dedicated.  but thanks for your suggestions.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 06:19:01 PM »

She went to Absolute k-9 here in san diego. They basically told us she was smart but slow and stubborn to pick up commands. She needed really strong handlers. That's where it's become difficult when only one person in the party is dedicated.  but thanks for your suggestions.

I'm from San Diego...never heard of that group...but thats not saying much.  I never really looked into any out here.

Honestly...this kind of goes back to when someone first picks out a pup.  It really should be the other way around.  A puppy should pick a owner that best suits it's needs.  I sometimes feel that people get a dog for all the wrong reasons.  I'm not saying this is what happened...but I've known people that have a dog likes yours & there is special considerations they need.  For one, you need property or the ability to exercise that dog a lot.  Those type of dogs have a lot of energy.  They also need to work.  When they don't, they find "a job" to do automatically.  It may be a reason why the dog is pretty protective around other people that don't have a dog.  It may feel it's a sense of duty (work) that is required of him.

With our Rottie...we're always giving him tasks & trying to keep him busy playing or exercising.  If or when a dog becomes board (especially when their young) they develop bad habits.  I would love to say our Rottie is 'perfect' in every way....but we are constantly correcting him & working with him.  It's obvious how his attitude changes if he's not given the correct amount of exercise/attention/or work.

BTW...I do think your dog can be corrected in her attitude.  But it requires stern discipline, love, respect & time. 

One question....is she spayed?  I've had a lot of both male & female dogs...& make get myself in trouble with this one....but females can be a little more bitchy.

I won't bash you & say it's wrong for you to get rid of it...but take the responsibility & place the pup in a home or environment where it would best suit her.  Oh....& one last question...before you got the dog...who's idea & decision was it?  Was it something you did on your own or was the wife involved in the decision making?

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 01:34:55 AM »

That's where it's become difficult when only one person in the party is dedicated. 

Jeriko... I'm really not trying to be an ass or give you a hard time. I can tell this is difficult for you. The fact that only one person is dedicated should be a red flag for other issues you will face as a couple. Just an observation.

I still say DTB and keep the dog.
and keep moving!

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 04:20:43 AM »
knny- you might have missed it, but Jeriko got Meadow from a shelter and she wasn't a pup if I understand correctly.

Jeriko- did they inform you of this problem when you took her?  If they didn't that was pretty irresponsible on their part.  I know most shelters/rescues do pretty thorough temperament checks so they can place the animal in a suitable home, and I would think that this would of showed up while they had her.

How long have you had her and how old was she when she came to you?

rockyfortune

• Getbig IV
  • "look, it's the drunk piano player."
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 07:59:38 AM »
get her trained bro...that stuff can be fixed...i did it with my dog....don't give up and tell the wife to chill out and be patient.

Also, buy a prong collar...cut my dog's crazy behavior down to next to nothing..they work! i was afraid of them to but when i saw my dog trainer work with my dog with it i was convinced. 
footloose and fancy free

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 08:59:50 AM »
Well...the matter may be different if it was from a pound or rescue

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 06:33:28 AM »
get her trained bro...that stuff can be fixed...i did it with my dog....don't give up and tell the wife to chill out and be patient.

Also, buy a prong collar...cut my dog's crazy behavior down to next to nothing..they work! i was afraid of them to but when i saw my dog trainer work with my dog with it i was convinced. 

Good points.  If I was Jeriko first off tell the wife to relax, the dog is staying.  You will probally harbor some resentment towards her if it is her (and rightfully so) that makes you give up on the dog.  Gonna take team work and both of you being consistant with the dog handeling duties.

Second I would address this problem directly.  Bring people into the room and have them approach the dog in a non-confrontational way at first, avoiding eye contact.  When the dog goes off correct it.  The subjects you choose need to be confident and indifferent towards the barking dog.  If you need to and it sounds like you will put the dog on its side in the submissive position as punishment for the barking behaivior.  Hold it down firm by the neck till it surrenders, then repeat as needed, just keep your cool the whole time and use corrections not so much words while doing this, no yelling or cussing, very little talking but plenty of leading.  Sooner or later it will associate this barking and aggresion towards humans as being put in the submissive state and this behavior will subside.  When it chills finally give it mild praise.  Just let the dog know you will never tolerate this behavior and this will go a very long way in its actions.

It will take lots of work from the 2 of you and you will have to be firm but not harsh with your dog.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 07:48:03 AM »
Good suggestion Luv2hurt. 

Jeriko, you might do that and have an outside party at your house.  A "help save Meadow" party.   An adults only if possible, and every so often you bring someone into the house. 

Just let everyone know the purpose of the party and how you want them to act when they come into the house (ignoring the dog, being calm, etc)

A trainer suggested something similar to me to curb Briona from jumping on people and being so overly excited to see people.  The guests are happy to help, they are getting drinks and food, and the dog is desensitized by the people coming in and out and her behavior being worked on. 

You could also "invite" a behavior trainer to the party to supervise and instruct. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2007, 10:26:37 PM »
I'm going to guess the scumbag comment is just a half joking exaggeration from someone who cares about pets but didn't know how to express a constructive suggestion for a serious situation that has transpired.

I love this dog and have been fighting to keep her for some time now. I got her from the Helen Woodward rescue center and i'm not about to just giver her away to just anyone. And I will not just drop her off at some facility.

We actually did send her away to a very expensive dog boot camp here in San Diego. The trainers are wll known trainers that train celebrity/pro athletes' dogs.  The training helped but it didn't solve the problem 100% as the training has to continue in her environment. She has improved.  I work with her often. I'm always on the go as I own and operate two different businesses.  The initial intention was to bring her with me everywhere. There would be no problem with there being a dog in either business. Unfortunately her behavior issue developed and that prevents me from being able to bring her along. This is when there is a problem since the wife has to handle her during those times.

The muzzle is a definitely a safety precaution. But the wifey's issue isn't just safety anymore. she's just tired of the constant problem.

"wives are easy to find"   ;D

This is one year old MEADOW.  Rottie/Aust Shep mix.
She was sold to us as the most "mellow" of the litter but she's been anything but.  ;D

So hold on was the dog sold to you or did you get the dog from the animal shelter because I am filling no pity to you as it seems like this might not be your dog. Do you need a hug buddy or did you just type in the wrong shit.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2007, 05:26:36 AM »
This is one year old MEADOW.  Rottie/Aust Shep mix.
She was sold to us as the most "mellow" of the litter but she's been anything but.  ;D

There does seem to be some inconsistencies Jeriko.    :-\

If this is a a joke, I REALLY do not find it funny.