Author Topic: BUSH knows best!  (Read 1301 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
BUSH knows best!
« on: July 12, 2007, 02:51:32 PM »
 Government report: Al Qaeda strongest since September 11, 2001

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Al Qaeda is the strongest it has been since the aftermath of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, a new U.S. government analysis concludes, according to a senior government official who has seen it.

A Pakistani soldier mans a bunker near the Afghan border in a tribal area of Pakistan.

Despite a campaign of military action and counterterrorism operations, al Qaeda has regained its strength and found safe haven in the tribal areas of Pakistan, the report says, according to counterterrorism officials familiar with the report.

The five-page intelligence analysis remains classified and was prepared for senior U.S. policymakers. It was not issued in response to a specific threat.

Two intelligence officials said the report's finding are similar to what is expected to be in the National Intelligence Estimate anticipated to be released later this summer. The NIE is the intelligence community's collective analysis of pressing national security issues.

The White House's view is that "over the past six years, we have prevented attacks from al Qaeda by taking the fight to them," a senior administration official said. "But they are an enemy that adapts."

This new report backs up warnings by Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff and other officials that al Qaeda remains a serious threat and that the United States is vulnerable despite the numerous security changes made since September 11, 2001. Video Watch Chertoff explain his "gut feeling" »

Chertoff said Wednesday, however, that there is no "specific, credible information" that terrorist attacks on the United States are imminent.

In a House Armed Services Committee hearing Wednesday, several senior intelligence officials talked about how the terrorist group has found refuge in parts of Pakistan.

"We actually see the al Qaeda central being resurgent in their role in planning operations," John Kringen, head of the CIA's intelligence directorate, testified at the hearing Wednesday. "They seem to be fairly well settled into the safe haven in the ungoverned spaces of Pakistan there. We see more training. We see more money. We see more communications."

Thomas Fingar, deputy director of national intelligence, told lawmakers that al Qaeda leaders hiding in Pakistan are able to maintain relationships "with affiliates throughout the Middle East, North and East Africa and Europe."

In a statement, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said it was no surprise al Qaeda has been able to reorganize and rebuild "given President Bush's stubborn dedication to keeping our overextended military mired in an Iraqi civil war."

"It is a travesty that Osama bin Laden remains at large nearly six years after the 9/11 attacks and appears to have found new sanctuary to operate freely in the Afghanistan-Pakistan border regions," Reid said. "The Bush administration and most congressional Republicans would rather stubbornly stick with a flawed strategy and fight a war that senior military leaders say cannot be won militarily, than adapt to fighting the enemy who attacked us six years ago."
advertisement

In recent weeks, counterterrorism authorities have expressed concern about the possibility of another attack on U.S. soil, saying several factors, such as the thwarted terror plots in Britain, have them on edge.

The FBI has created a small group of agents and analysts to examine new threats and leads over the summer, a bureau official told CNN. The group, which was created several weeks ago, is supplementing what agents and others are also doing in field offices across the country and is an example of how the government is trying to make sure no credible lead is missed, the official said.

________________________ ________________________ ________________

Before you neo-taints start running at the mouth about how it's from CNN.....read the bold

BUSH needs to resign.

Again, I assert that Iraq will be known as the worse US foreign policy decision in our history.

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: BUSH knows best!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 03:55:51 PM »
This is pathetic.

Now Chertoff says he has "a gut feeling", WTF that does that mean?

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2007, 04:10:48 PM »
Bush will not resign, nothing in iraq will change until the next presidential election, bush is a piece of shit and should be kicked out of office.

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 09:14:01 PM »
Bush will not resign, nothing in iraq will change until the next presidential election, bush is a piece of shit and should be kicked out of office.

Nothing will change when someone else gets in either, lets face it, the Dems lied their way into winning the election by promising to change things and all they've came up with is a minimum wage increase, as far as I know, they're rating are still lower than Bush's.

BTW, he's right, if we pull out, it will be worse.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 09:17:00 PM »

Apparently if we stay were also still in danger also, so oh well.

Let's bring the troops home, and protect the borders, increase American intelligence and do what we can on the homefront, just the state of neveda border security has been decreased 60%

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 06:43:19 AM »
Nothing will change when someone else gets in either, lets face it, the Dems lied their way into winning the election by promising to change things and all they've came up with is a minimum wage increase, as far as I know, they're rating are still lower than Bush's.

You just don't know the facts.  The Dems don't have a veto-proof majority.  Bush kept his illegal invasion intact by veto.  It's all Bush/republicans fault, this war is.
Bush vetoes war-funding bill with withdrawal timetable
http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/01/congress.iraq/index.html

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 08:12:52 AM »
Who really thinks that the Dems will change anything. If the roles where reversed...it would be the Republicans crying for a pull-out with the Dems whining that we have top stay. This war has become a political issue for each side, especially the dems, since they are out of power. Neither side, especially the Dems cares about the "troops" Libs hate the military. At least it would appear that some Republicans, and Joe Lieberman realize that the worlds problems can't and won't be solved with diplomacy. Diplomacy usually results in putting off a war that u would have to fight today. Especially since we have gotten away from wars of political  ideology to ones of Religion and faith, which was how it usually was throughout history.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 08:39:44 AM »
Who really thinks that the Dems will change anything. ...
It's a matter of historical fact that the democrats tried to get the troops out of Iraq only to be subverted by Bush's veto.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 08:51:05 AM »
They voted for a bill that called fora pull out in 120 days....gimme a break. 120 days...the chaos and death during that 120 days would be epic. Not only that, all the BS from the rags about how they won...sorry man...I'm an American not a LIB.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 08:55:33 AM »
They voted for a bill that called fora pull out in 120 days....gimme a break. 120 days...the chaos and death during that 120 days would be epic. Not only that, all the BS from the rags about how they won...sorry man...I'm an American not a LIB.
The democrats were put into the majority largely as a response to Bush's mismanagement of the war.  The american people want the troops home.

I don't wish to sound callous, but so what if more hell breaks loose?  It's already a civil war.  Just get our boys out of the middle of that mess that Bush created.

So you'll stay in Iraq while, on a daily basis, more american lives are ended and families back home are ruined just b/c a bunch of rag-heads might claim victory after we leave?

That is the epitome of arrogance.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 10:41:07 AM »

we've already lost the war..otherwsie..define lose to me..

what we r doing now is just keeping the shit from hitting the ceiling....damage control..

however..i agree that we cant leave now...we r there now for years to come..
carpe` vaginum!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 10:45:35 AM »
Basically what toxic said....we're losing (I guess)...but we can't just up and leave either. It would seem that u don't loose wars on the battlefield anymore in the 21st century. U loose in the media, at home and because political correctness won't allow u to do what is neccesary to win.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 11:26:45 AM »
Basically what toxic said....we're losing (I guess)...but we can't just up and leave either. It would seem that u don't loose wars on the battlefield anymore in the 21st century. U loose in the media, at home and because political correctness won't allow u to do what is neccesary to win.
You mean killing more Iraqis/insurgents/al qaeda or whatever the flavor of the day terminology is?  That's what is necessary?

Under what pretext do we kill these Iraqis? 

Why do the Iraqi citizens deserve the honor of being slaughtered by our soldiers?

What did they do to us?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 11:39:40 AM »
The average Iraqi has become collateral damage. We could start at the begining. Killing anybody who broke curfews and shooting looters. I was there and should have been shooting these people..instead they ran amuck. We should have killed Al Sadr, instead we legitimized his opposition. The media bascially forced us to pull out of Falujha 1. I'd have leveled it as we did in part 2. Also I would have banned all free lance journalists from the country for 6 months after the invasion. I would have made a deal with the Turks and the Kurds that would have allowed us to use Turkish and later Kuwaiti troops to police Bagdad. I would have put Arabs with guns on the streets.  I would have fired a small number of bathist generals but kept most and the army and police intact. I would have made it clear to every American how bad a guy saddam was, and when no WMDs were found I would have flashed the victims of the gas attacks in the late 80's on the screen on a nightly basis. I would never have allowed Gitmo..I would have set the jails up far from the prying eyes of  the media. Every time the friggen nutbag liberals screamed that their right were being infringed on..i would have flashed up pictures of the WTC's falling and my fellow citizens dying. I would have waged a relentless public relations campaign. I would have mobilized for war...gotten Hollywood invloved. I would have done whatever was neccesary to win. Bush has sent mixed signals and Congress has followed. We need an orderly withdrawl that ensures that the place doesn't completely fall apart...I'm not sure thats possible.
L

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 11:45:55 AM »
The average Iraqi has become collateral damage. We could start at the begining. Killing anybody who broke curfews and shooting looters. I was there and should have been shooting these people..instead they ran amuck. We should have killed Al Sadr, instead we legitimized his opposition. The media bascially forced us to pull out of Falujha 1. I'd have leveled it as we did in part 2. Also I would have banned all free lance journalists from the country for 6 months after the invasion. I would have made a deal with the Turks and the Kurds that would have allowed us to use Turkish and later Kuwaiti troops to police Bagdad. I would have put Arabs with guns on the streets.  I would have fired a small number of bathist generals but kept most and the army and police intact. I would have made it clear to every American how bad a guy saddam was, and when no WMDs were found I would have flashed the victims of the gas attacks in the late 80's on the screen on a nightly basis. I would never have allowed Gitmo..I would have set the jails up far from the prying eyes of  the media. Every time the friggen nutbag liberals screamed that their right were being infringed on..i would have flashed up pictures of the WTC's falling and my fellow citizens dying. I would have waged a relentless public relations campaign. I would have mobilized for war...gotten Hollywood invloved. I would have done whatever was neccesary to win. Bush has sent mixed signals and Congress has followed. We need an orderly withdrawl that ensures that the place doesn't completely fall apart...I'm not sure thats possible.
That's an interesting take.

On this point we part company.

As always, it's been interesting and I appreciate your input.  Have a great weekend HeadHunter. 

I'm off to the Milwaukee County Zoo this afternoon.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 12:11:15 PM »
Rough life....I go, but I don't like Zoo's, I feel bad for the animals, Don't fall out of your chair there Decker but i'm a rabid animals lover, besides the don't eat meat part anyway..have a good one.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2007, 07:42:04 AM »
The average Iraqi has become collateral damage.

So sad but true.  :'(

We could start at the begining. Killing anybody who broke curfews and shooting looters. I was there and should have been shooting these people..instead they ran amuck. We should have killed Al Sadr, instead we legitimized his opposition.

Starting at the beginning would have meant not invading in the first place, ...and certainly not without the legitimacy to do so. It would have meant having a proper strategy to not only prosecute the invasion, but also a proper exit strategy. And it surely would have meant getting the job done in Afghanistan. Instead, they've allowed that to go down the pooper to the point where they are now trying to negotiate with the taliban to form part of the government. How does it feel to know you've lost some good men ousting the Taliban, ...only to have members of your Rep congress trying to put the Taliban back in power?

The media bascially forced us to pull out of Falujha 1. I'd have leveled it as we did in part 2.

The media did not force you out of Fallujah. It was the stupidity of the Blackwater mercenaries who so invigorated the local Iraqi's that they massacred Americans, burnt their bodies, and hung the corpses out in the street for all to see. That's what forced you out of fallujah. If the media had the power to force you out, you would have been out of the country already.

Don't blame military failures on the media, ...they're not the ones prosecuting the war. They've been onside since day one selling the war to the American public, and refusing to ask the hard questions they should have. They got their daily memo's from Murdoch, and marched alongside in lockstep. When the media declares war, plans a foreign invasion of a sovereign state, picks up a gun, and starts shooting bullets instead of footage, ...then perhaps maybe they can be considered accountable for military defeats, ...however, as anyone will tell you... wars are not won or lost on the battlefield. They are won prior to the first bullet. The subsequent battles are merely "going through the motions".

Also I would have banned all free lance journalists from the country for 6 months after the invasion.

You mean banning those with an allegiance to the truth? ...as opposed to those with marching orders? Well, ...I suppose it's better than ordering them to domicile in a particular hotel, then flat out  slaughtering them with tanks and artillery fire.

I would have made a deal with the Turks and the Kurds that would have allowed us to use Turkish and later Kuwaiti troops to police Bagdad. I would have put Arabs with guns on the streets.

Haven't you heard? ...there are already plenty of Arabs with guns in the streets, ...and they're part of the problem.

I would have fired a small number of bathist generals but kept most and the army and police intact.

I knew that if we kept going long enough, we would find a point of mutual agreement.
I mean ...What on earth were they thinking getting rid of the army & police?

I would have made it clear to every American how bad a guy saddam was, and when no WMDs were found I would have flashed the victims of the gas attacks in the late 80's on the screen on a nightly basis.

It was kind of hard for Rummy to get that across, since he was so complicitous with all his "crimes". Kind of hard to discuss the spawn of satan when you are joined at the hip with him isn't it?

Would you also have included the victims of the gas attacks in the early 90's... you know... the ones Saddam attacked while the Americans were right there. The ones the USA sat back and watched him slaughter right after Gulf War 1, ...or do you think the public might have had some hard questions for Rummy, Cheney, and the rest of the cabal, ...they were afterall, the ones who sat back and allowed it to happen.

I would never have allowed Gitmo..I would have set the jails up far from the prying eyes of  the media. Every time the friggen nutbag liberals screamed that their right were being infringed on..i would have flashed up pictures of the WTC's falling and my fellow citizens dying.

They tried that tactic, however, as we all know... Saddam had nothing to do with 911. You can fool some of the people, some of the time... but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

I would have waged a relentless public relations campaign. I would have mobilized for war...gotten Hollywood invloved. I would have done whatever was neccesary to win. Bush has sent mixed signals and Congress has followed.

Again, they have tried this, ...however, the American public is not as stupid as they think. Shock & Awe, only goes so far, and when the initial shock wears off, and people start coming to their senses again, they start to see clearer than they did before. the more they screw up, the longer this thing drags out, and more opportunity the public has to rationalize and make sense of the nonsensical. The more lies thrown out, the more the public sees through it all.

We need an orderly withdrawl that ensures that the place doesn't completely fall apart...I'm not sure thats possible.

Another point we agree on. Wow, ...among the BS bloodthirsty warmongering, you managed to score a hat trick  :D
w