Author Topic: Unchain Your Dog!!!  (Read 5734 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Unchain Your Dog!!!
« on: July 13, 2007, 06:48:07 AM »
Came across this site while looking for something else:

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/index.html

Dogs are known to be MORE AGGRESSIVE when kept on a chain. 

Chained dogs don't make good guard dogs. Chaining teaches dogs to be aggressive rather than protective. Plus--all a chained dog can do is bark! A chained dog is likely to attack anyone--the mailman, neighborhood  children, other pets.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Re: Unchain Your Dog!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 06:56:34 AM »
Some of the pictures on that site (there are warnings before clicking) are graphic.

I personally don't think chaining should be legal unless you are physically sitting there outside with the dog.  Too many accidents happen to the dogs for one reason.  And too many people just chain the dog up and ignore it letting aggressive behaviors (insanity?)  build in the animal. 

Their are "chain laws" in affect in a number of states that limit the number of hours a dog may be chained outside and other conditions.  These laws cannot be enforced unless people notify the Animal Control or police.

If you see a dog that is left chained all the time or the majority of the time, please check your local laws and call the authorities.

These might not be 100% up to date, so call your local Animal Control even if you don't see laws listed for your area.    Even if there are no laws, Animal Control can go and check the condition of a dog.

http://www.unchainyourdog.org/Laws.htm

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 08:46:22 AM »

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 09:04:23 AM »
fucking people suck

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 10:16:43 AM »
  I don't mean to imply everyone who ever has a dog out on a chain is a bad and horrible person.  You can usually tell by looking at the dog whether that dog is a valued member of the family or a forgotten lawn decoration. 

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 12:57:04 PM »
Control your animal is the law.
Ive seen animals lost, killed, and much property dammage and human injury from loose dogs.
If you love your dog, you'll make sure they are under control allways.
Pitts esp dont belong running free.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 12:58:27 PM »
Control your animal is the law.
Ive seen animals lost, killed, and much property dammage and human injury from loose dogs.
If you love your dog, you'll make sure they are under control allways.
Pitts esp dont belong running free.

They shouldn't be chained up either

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 01:40:27 PM »
They shouldn't be chained up either

THen you better leash him, and be able to control him.
Fencing a Rottie is tough.

BTW Most true Pitts dont mind being chained. Its bred into them ;). That is not normal w/ most breeds.
But Pitts arent your normal breed. Watch your Rottie w/ Pitts. Game Pitt pups ALLWAYS vanquish even the largest most agressive Rotties. Sorry, but its true.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2007, 01:42:02 PM »

someone needs to unchain my heart.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2007, 02:13:51 PM »
BTW Most true Pitts dont mind being chained. Its bred into them ;). That is not normal w/ most breeds.
But Pitts arent your normal breed. Watch your Rottie w/ Pitts. Game Pitt pups ALLWAYS vanquish even the largest most agressive Rotties. Sorry, but its true.

where do you come up with this nonsense?

like i said earlier i feel bad for your dogs.  if they are aggressive i can undestand why.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2007, 02:21:05 PM »
where do you come up with this nonsense?

like i said earlier i feel bad for your dogs.  if they are aggressive i can undestand why.

Pitts were kept in compounds by the dozens chained to crude houses. Thats their orign, like it or not. Its in their genetic make up. Most are unusually content chained. Tip - USE HEAVY CHAIN and make sure no kids EVER come in the area w/ the dog unattended.

YOU need to learn the history of what you have on your hands, before you have blood and summons on your hands. Good Luck.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 02:37:20 PM »
THen you better leash him, and be able to control him.
Fencing a Rottie is tough.

Leashing or tying up an animal will lead to behavioural issues.

I don't care if it's a Rottie, Pitt, or Beagle.

BTW....when was the last time you asked a Pitt if he liked to be chained up & he said "sure thing boss"

Suggesting a 'game' pitt will always vanquish a Rottie is wrong, stupid. arrogant & dangerous to suggest.  I have a Rottie & would never suggest idiotic claims. 

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 02:39:19 PM »

are "pitts" a special breed from pittsburgh  ???

*edited*

Please follow the Rules of the Pet Board

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 02:40:38 PM »
Leashing or tying up an animal will lead to behavioural issues.

I don't care if it's a Rottie, Pitt, or Beagle.

BTW....when was the last time you asked a Pitt if he liked to be chained up & he said "sure thing boss"

Suggesting a 'game' pitt will always vanquish a Rottie is wrong, stupid. arrogant & dangerous to suggest.  I have a Rottie & would never suggest idiotic claims. 

Kny YOU  are wrong an all counts here. YOur Rottie was bred to pull mik carts in Germany BTW.
Nobody here has the SLIGHTEST amt of K9 hisory (Vet wont share the real stuff, 2 busy sugar coating Pitts)

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 02:41:54 PM »
YOur Rottie was bred to pull mik carts in Germany BTW.

???

:D

;D ;D ;D

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2007, 02:42:04 PM »

are "pitts" a special breed from pittsburgh  ???

P.S. My german shepherd eats pitts for breakfast.  Such appetites were bred into her when she was part of the nazi war machine.

*edited*

warning ....mention stuff like dog fighting agian will have your posts deleted from the board

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2007, 02:46:29 PM »
Pitts were kept in compounds by the dozens chained to crude houses. Thats their orign, like it or not. Its in their genetic make up. Most are unusually content chained. Tip - USE HEAVY CHAIN and make sure no kids EVER come in the area w/ the dog unattended.

YOU need to learn the history of what you have on your hands, before you have blood and summons on your hands. Good Luck.

History

This article has been tagged since January 2007.

The ancestors of modern pit bulls come from the bulldogs and terriers of England. At one time every county in England had its own breed of terrier. Many of these still exist; however, some have evolved into new ones. Such is the case for the English White and the Black and Tan terriers, whose descendants include the bull-and-terriers, the Fox Terrier, and the Manchester Terrier. Terriers served an important purpose in England by killing Vermin that might otherwise ruin crops, damage property, or spread disease such as the Black Plague. The development of sports such as rat- or badger- baiting further added to the breeds' importance.

United States propaganda poster used during World War I depicting a Pit BullMastiff type dogs also have a long history in England; they are thought to have been brought by the Celts. It also known that the Normans introduced the Alaunt. These dogs were used in battle and for guarding, but they also served utilitarian purposes, such as farm work. Specifically, these dogs accompanied farmers into the fields to assist with bringing bulls in for breeding, castration, or slaughter. The dogs, known generally as bulldogs, protected the farmer by subduing the bull if it attempted to gore him. Typically a dog would do this by biting the bull on the nose and holding on until the bull submitted. Bulldogs were bred to have powerful, muscular bodies and the resolve to hold onto a violently struggling bull despite injury. These traits permitted the development and rise of the bloody sports of bull-baiting and bear-baiting. In Elizabethan England, these spectacles were popular forms of entertainment. However, in 1835, bull-baiting and bear-baiting were abolished by Parliament as cruel, and the custom died out over the following years.

The sport of dog fighting, which could be carried out under clandestine measures, blossomed. Since Bulldogs proved too ponderous and uninterested in dog fighting, the Bulldogs were crossed to English White and Black and Tan Terriers. They were also bred to be intelligent and level-headed during fights and remain non-aggressive toward their handlers. Part of the standard for organized dog-fighting required that the match referee who is unacquainted with the dog be able to enter the ring, pick up a dog while it was engaged in a fight, and get the respective owner to carry it out of the ring without being bitten. Dogs that bit the referee were culled.

As a result, Victorian fighting dogs (Staffordshire Bull Terriers and, though less commonly used as fighters, English Bull Terriers) generally had stable temperaments and were commonly kept in the home by the gambling men who owned them.

During the mid-1800s, immigration to the United States from Ireland and England brought an influx of these dogs to America, mainly to Boston, where they were bred to be larger and stockier, working as farm dogs in the West as much as fighting dogs in the cities. The resulting breed, also called the American Pit Bull Terrier, became known as an "all-American" dog. Pit bull type dogs became popular as family pets for citizens who were not involved in dog-fighting or farming. In the early 1900s they began to appear in films, one of the more famous examples being Pete the Pup from the Our Gang shorts (later known as The Little Rascals).

During World War I the breed's widespread popularity led to its being featured on pro-American propaganda posters.

Pit Bull is a term that describes several types of dogs with similar physical characteristics. The American Pit Bull Terrier, the American Staffordshire Terrier and to a lesser extent, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier commonly fall under the category of "pit bull." There are several physically similar breeds that are mistakenly termed "pit bull", including the Indian Bull Terrier, Argentine Dogo, the American Bulldog,the Bull Terrier and the Perro de Presa Canario. These breeds are usually not included by name in any Breed Specific Legislation (see below), but are sometimes included because of a broad definition and confusion as to what a pit bull actually is. [1] All of these breeds as well as many others (including Great Danes, Newfoundlands and Rottweilers) are members of the Molosser family of dog breeds.

Molosser is a name for a group comprising several breeds of large, solidly-built dogs, probably all descended from the same root stock. The name derives from Molossia, a country once located in Western Greece.

Molossers are sometimes called "mastiffs". The proper noun "Mastiff", however, is used to refer to the English Mastiff, a breed that originated in England over two thousand years ago. Other terms include "Mastín" (Spanish), "dogge" (Germanic), and "dogue" or "dogo" (Romance languages).

An Entlebucher Sennenhund, showing the typical molosser build.Breeds such as the Bullmastiff, Dogue de Bordeaux, Fila Brasileiro, Mastin Del Pirineo, Spanish Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, Tibetan Mastiff, and many others fall into the larger category of "Molossers", but are not "Mastiffs". Each is a separate and distinct breed.[1] The Boxer breed is also included, as it is a creation from other Molossers including the Original English Bulldog.

Molossers typically have heavy bones, pendant ears, a relatively short and well-muscled neck, and a short muzzle. Although some Molossers are used for search and rescue, such as the Newfoundland, most are used as guard dogs, due to their deep voices and natural guarding instincts, or herding dogs, not for actual herding but for protection against large predators as well as poachers. Some breeds like the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog have also been used as cart dogs.

The origin of Molossers is disputed, but Assyrian bas-relief carvings found in Nineveh date back as far as approximately 640 BC. Many believe that the Tibetan Mastiff is the ancestor of modern Molossers, although there is little evidence to support this theory. It is a fact, though, that large watchdogs have existed in Asia and the Middle East for several thousand years.

Some of today's Molosser breeds come from the British Isles and points farther north, which accounts for their thick coats and solid build.

The Bulldog breeds split from the Molossers in England and spread to the New World with colonization as well as Western Europe and, though smaller, are considered by some to still be Molosser breeds.

I don't see anywhere where they were raised to be tied to a chain

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2007, 02:52:32 PM »
I don need that. You'll Never have the practicle experience w/ pitts I do.
Im full aware of the History of the Fighting Breeds. Stuff that has been pulled off the shelves out of PC sensabilities. You need real history books now to even get a little taste.

Pitts tollerate chaining very fine.  The Rottie wont. Rotties are a BIG responsability.
They create plenty issues to, but they are lame fighters in compare to pits.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2007, 02:53:53 PM »

my pet brown bear eats pits for a pre-breakfast appetizer.

j/k flower, I only feed him raw chicken.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 03:01:27 PM »
Kny YOU  are wrong an all counts here. YOur Rottie was bred to pull mik carts in Germany BTW.
Nobody here has the SLIGHTEST amt of K9 hisory (Vet wont share the real stuff, 2 busy sugar coating Pitts)

I know a lot about the Rottweiler & won't claim to be an expert...but it's obvious you don't....but you need to dig further back to understand the "Butcher's Dog".  You seem to know shit...but keep opening your mouth & looking like a complete idiot.

The breed was used back in the Roman Empire.  Mainly it's definitive role was to protect, herd, & guard the cattle for the Legions during their conquests.  If you understand warfare, you would understand that food is a key element to troop movement.  Without food & supplies, your army is weak & can not move far or win battles.  These dogs were intended & successful in protecting/herding the cattle for the Roman Armies.

Basically, this is just a simple understanding of the history/development of the breed.  While in Rottweil, the dogs because of their size & strength were used for day to day chores (like pulling milk wagons).  Back then, owning a horse required a lot of money for those who had little.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 03:03:35 PM »
my pet brown bear eats pits for a pre-breakfast appetizer.

Thats called "Bear baiting" or also there was "Bull baiting" The whole town would watch.
They didnt have cable back then ;)

j/k flower, I only feed him raw chicken.

Thats called "Bear baiting" There was also "Bull Baiting".

The whole town would watch. They didnt have cable ;)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 03:05:13 PM »
I don need that. You'll Never have the practicle experience w/ pitts I do.
Im full aware of the History of the Fighting Breeds. Stuff that has been pulled off the shelves out of PC sensabilities. You need real history books now to even get a little taste.

Pitts tollerate chaining very fine.  The Rottie wont. Rotties are a BIG responsability.
They create plenty issues to, but they are lame fighters in compare to pits.

Well, I suggest you talk about dog fighting on some other board.

Push the issue...& your posts will be deleted.

Disagreeing a topic is your opinion & thats fine.  Suggesting one breed better for fighting over another will get you deleted.

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 03:12:50 PM »

pits are not content being chained up.  pits are a very people oriented breed and love as much social interaction as they can get.  one of the worst things you can do to a pitbull is chain him or keep him isolated from human contact.  a chained pit is one that will quickly become very frustrated and depressed.
the social makeup of a pitbull make them great family dogs.  they are basically oversized lap dogs.  that is when they are at their happiest.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 03:14:53 PM »
Problem is that a lot of people will invest money in aggressive breads but not the time to train them. Trained animals end up having to suffer due to idiotic owners. I can't appreciate the difference between an untrained aggressive dog and a loaded weapon lying around.

trab

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 03:51:03 PM »
Problem is that a lot of people will invest money in aggressive breads but not the time to train them. Trained animals end up having to suffer due to idiotic owners. I can't appreciate the difference between an untrained aggressive dog and a loaded weapon lying around.

Lots of these "pitt"dogs are like a handgrenade rolling around in a day-care.

Those flimsy fences are my pet peeve when I'd walk mine in SLC. I risk a major issue with my well behaved nonagressive staffi because a mangy pit squirts thru a rickety fence.