Author Topic: True Adonis Rejoices! Two Buck Chuck Wins Prestigious Wine Award!  (Read 1561 times)

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
A Chardonnay sold exclusively at Trader Joes for $1.99 has beaten out 350 other wines in winning 1st place at the Annual California Wine Tasting Competition. http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=3372578&page=1
The Chardonnay, made by Charles Shaw, is commonly known as "Two Buck Chuck" and is great for getting plastered on the cheap. Of course, wine snobs around the country are freaking out about this, trying to say the competition was fixed. They just can't accept that the only reason to order a $500 bottle of wine is to get into a rich girl's pants.

I always knew that wine was the world's second biggest scam, next to "artwork".

Adonis, what sayeth you? Trader Joes opening in Charlotte in mid-August.
BigNationRadio.com

The Coach

Re: True Adonis Rejoices! Two Buck Chuck Wins Prestigious Wine Award!
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 10:38:49 AM »
A Chardonnay sold exclusively at Trader Joes for $1.99 has beaten out 350 other wines in winning 1st place at the Annual California Wine Tasting Competition. http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=3372578&page=1
The Chardonnay, made by Charles Shaw, is commonly known as "Two Buck Chuck" and is great for getting plastered on the cheap. Of course, wine snobs around the country are freaking out about this, trying to say the competition was fixed. They just can't accept that the only reason to order a $500 bottle of wine is to get into a rich girl's pants.

I always knew that wine was the world's second biggest scam, next to "artwork".

Adonis, what sayeth you? Trader Joes opening in Charlotte in mid-August.

Ha, I heard that yesterday, Adonis must be furious, but at the same time he can have a glass of 1.99 wine to go with his $5.00 inbred mut......I mean the dog.....er, I mean his Greyhound!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:40:08 AM »
Motor oil's motor oil.

Special Ed

• Toms
  • Getbig V
  • Special Ed Forever!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:46:12 AM »
It's one thing to pay $1.39 for a 2L bottle of Coke as opposed to $.89 for the store brand. My cousin has been a wine seller (to restaurants) her entire career and she's the snobbiest bee-atch I know. One time she was talking cosmetics with my girlfriend and told her that she only wears "NARS" brand, which is like $50 for a foundation. My girlfriend worked for the private label company that made NARS and broke my cousin's heart when she said they use the exact same formula found in the $2 foundation sold in drugstores.

"There's a sucker born every minute...and one to take him."
BigNationRadio.com

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 03:45:42 AM »
I don't care for White Wines that much.  I drink Red.

The best wines are not always the most expensive, but as the reputation of a wine grows, in time, so will the price. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007, 09:19:32 PM »
I don't care for White Wines that much.  I drink Red.

Chuck has several reds -

A Chardonnay sold exclusively at Trader Joes for $1.99 has beaten out 350 other wines in winning 1st place at the Annual California Wine Tasting Competition.

They sell it for $2.99 here and still have the gall to call it 2 Buck Chuck
Bastards
 :P
:

Tesla

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 04:11:12 PM »
I once asked a guy who worked at a vineyard what the difference was between a $10 bottle of wine and a $100 bottle. 

His answer: "Oh, about $90"  ;D

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 12:04:50 PM »
I'm fairly knowledgable about wine.  The reason this won was because all of the really respected wineries in CA don't enter the contest.  They already have a reputation as being great and it would only go down if it got beat by a wine that is half the price.  That being said, there is also some speculation by some of the people who were at the event that the wine that the judges drank that day is not the same that is in the bottle at Trader Joe's stores.  I've actually tasted this wine from this particular vintage around 5 times and it is just good.  It doesn't have any noticeable flaws but there's nothing to get really excited about either.  It is a steal at $4 or under.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 01:12:42 PM »
I'm fairly knowledgable about wine. 

WhiteCastle, I was recently at a steakhouse and told the sommelier what we wanted in a wine re: taste and he brought us a bottle that was so good I almost didn't want to eat food w/it.

I have searched for it on line and can't find anything.

The label had "AN" in large letters, and not much else except at the bottom of the label it said "AN negros" in small letters.

It was red table wine from Spain and had been imported to Ohio.

Do you have any knowledge of this wine or any sources that may have it?  Thanks!
R

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 01:40:20 PM »
I've made A LOT of money selling products to Trader Joe's...I love those guys.
w

JamesTKirk

• Getbig II
  • No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space.
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 03:25:07 PM »
WhiteCastle, I was recently at a steakhouse and told the sommelier what we wanted in a wine re: taste and he brought us a bottle that was so good I almost didn't want to eat food w/it.

The label had "AN" in large letters, and not much else except at the bottom of the label it said "AN negros" in small letters.

Do you have any knowledge of this wine or any sources that may have it?  Thanks!

Try this:  http://www.annegra.com/

WhiteCastle

• Getbig III
  • The Wizard of Filth
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007, 04:44:55 PM »

Yeah, I've had this about a month ago.  It's a very good wine, though a little pricey for me.  Anima Negra actually produces a similar styled wine called An/2 that I tasted last night, and it was one of the better ones out of the 40 wines I had.  The 2004 vintage is about $15-20 in most stores and is about as good as the An.  If you seek it out, make sure it's the 2004.  The 2003 was not good at all.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2007, 08:22:59 PM »
Try this:  http://www.annegra.com/

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Thank you Captain!

Yeah, I've had this about a month ago.  It's a very good wine, though a little pricey for me.  Anima Negra actually produces a similar styled wine called An/2 that I tasted last night, and it was one of the better ones out of the 40 wines I had.  The 2004 vintage is about $15-20 in most stores and is about as good as the An.  If you seek it out, make sure it's the 2004.  The 2003 was not good at all.

Thanks so much for this info also!  Does the An/2 label look the same as the regular?  I will def. ask for it thank you WhiteCastle!  BTW, love the double-cheese.. :)
R