Author Topic: Death to Widescreen!!!!!!!!  (Read 1773 times)

UK Gold

• Getbig IV
  • Riding on the Getbig wind
Death to Widescreen!!!!!!!!
« on: July 14, 2007, 05:00:08 AM »
what is the point in shelling out a lot of money for a widescreen TV, if you have to watch DVD's with big black fucking lines across the top and bottom of the screen???!!! It drives me absolutley fucking bezerk!!!

One of the best films of the last decade has been Black Book, by Paul 'total recall' Verhoven, but the dvd release is in 'ultra widescreen', and there is FIVE INCHES of black lines on either side of the picture!!! What the fuck!!!

Its got to the stage where i now don't bother buying dvds [if they're widescreen] and instead download from the net.

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
Re: Death to Widescreen!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 07:34:23 AM »
what is the point in shelling out a lot of money for a widescreen TV, if you have to watch DVD's with big black fucking lines across the top and bottom of the screen???!!! It drives me absolutley fucking bezerk!!!

One of the best films of the last decade has been Black Book, by Paul 'total recall' Verhoven, but the dvd release is in 'ultra widescreen', and there is FIVE INCHES of black lines on either side of the picture!!! What the fuck!!!

Its got to the stage where i now don't bother buying dvds [if they're widescreen] and instead download from the net.

In a nutshell, widescreen TVs are meant for widescreen DVDs with a 1.85:1 aspect ratio. Those with 2.35:1 will have the black bars regardless.

If that still doesn't satisfy you, you may continue your crying.

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:37:59 AM »
And if you have sharp enough picture in your TV you can adjust the size without losing picture sharpness.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:58:21 AM »
i understand why it is as it is

still is irritating tho

for that reason you need to buy a much bigger tv because otherwise you end up watching 60% of the screen and it will be small

notice that no tv on display in the store has that format, always full screen
Z

davidpaul

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 04:46:15 AM »
get A decent television.

If its 40 inch plus u wont have a problem,

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 05:19:57 AM »
I agree that it sucks, I always try to fuck with the zoom to get it to cover the full screen, but it never looks right, always cuts a part out etc. I actually preferred when all the tv's were 4.3 to 1(or whatever the normal ratio is).
E

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 04:31:03 PM »
Wide screen is a more "normal" way of watching something, cause it correlates better with the way we see things.

However, the black bands are indeed very annoying. They should just pick a format (like 16:9) and bring out everything (tv, movies, ...) in the same format.

Standardisation is a good thing sometimes.
$

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2007, 02:12:59 AM »
I used to hate widescreen but now I have come to love and appreciate it. It allows you to see the movie the way it was presented in the theater.  Particularly with visual effects movies like Star Wars, The Matrix , and 300 , it really pays to see the movie in widescreen. The problem with full screen (fool screen) is that you are missing almost half the picture!!! Why get half of what you paid for? If it bothers you so much that the picture is smaller, either get a bigger t.v. or sit closer to it. Personally, I would love for all full screen dvds to be outlawed, and I think most directors would agree with me. I dont think they enjoy seeing thier work of art getting chopped in half.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 03:57:15 AM »
Get one of these:

A good TV makes the DVD sensation better.

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 03:59:31 AM »
I understand that it's probably not very funny watching Spiderman or Star Wars on this:

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 08:52:52 AM »
Got a 50" Samsung plasma 1080p. Fucking love it!

Bought some BOSE surround sound to. Although I hear there are better brands than BOSE these days. Anyone know?

Sir William Idol

• Getbig IV
  • you got a fight comin
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2007, 09:33:42 AM »
yeah, just about anything is better and less expensive than bose, the ultimate scam artists. onkyo is a great value, from their low price stuff all the way up to their high end
its comin today